Thursday, July 12, 2018

By Hedrick Smith | The People vs. the Politicians – Guess Who Wins? | If you suspect that politicians are rigging American elections to keep themselves in power, take a close look at Ohio ... Or if you think gerrymandering doesn't matter, check the track record this decade, which shows that Republicans have been gaining at least 16 and up to 22 extra seats in the House of Representatives every election, by cleverly manipulating election district maps ... Democrats do it, too, but Republicans are better at it and they do it in more states ... ... It's The People vs the Politicians, and what's surprising – and encouraging – is seeing how a grass roots citizens movement mobilized people power to put the heat on politicians and make them swallow and adopt a reform that will help fix our broken democracy, at least in Ohio, and make it fairer, more transparent and more representative ... Reclaim the American dream.

Comments

I, PinchALoaf, was The First VIEW of the just posted top video on you-tube showing Hedrick Smith describing his soon to be released documentary.

Wake up, people!

Hedrick Smith is a national treasure -- and he's telling us and showing us how to make change happen!

Do you hate what's going on in America? Then we need to reclaim the American dream -- it's up to us.

#1 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-07-12 03:16 PM | Reply

I'll be watching this tonight. I hope this movement takes off like a rocket!

#2 | Posted by danni at 2018-07-12 04:20 PM | Reply

that's great. I plan to see it sometime.

#3 | Posted by eberly at 2018-07-12 04:24 PM | Reply

I'll be watching this tonight. I hope this movement takes off like a rocket!

#2 | POSTED BY DANNI

Danni ... I'm pretty sure the documentary has only been handed over to MSNBC, per what Hedrick Smith said in the top video, so the airing has yet to be scheduled as far as I understand. If I'm wrong to what Hedrick Smith is saying, by all means, don't hesitate to correct me ~

#4 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-07-12 04:57 PM | Reply

I like the "five sides rule" - a voting district cannot have more than five sides. But the people who make the rules see that as a threat to their power....

#5 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-07-12 05:19 PM | Reply

Hey, this is pretty good stuff. I'll take the time to watch both videos.

Thanks for posting this. Normally what I get here is "Trump blargh!!!", not solutions.

One a side note, check out "This Modern World" by Tom Tomorrow in the Daily Koss. The cartoonist (a strongly anti-corporatist liberal from what I can tell) depicts Trump as an orange Hulk saying things like "Trump smash detractors! Trump have best hair of all!"

Here: www.dailykos.com

I strongly recommend it. I just clicked on it, and just the first panel left me in stitches....

#6 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-07-12 05:27 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I'm going with panel 6 in "This Modern World" being the answer. But every one of them made me truly laugh. That is frigging humor....

#7 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-07-12 05:32 PM | Reply

I'm really loving the second video. That guy is right. "People don't trust the power elite".

Also, giant 30' tall owl statues are priced out of my range, so how can I get ahead these days without access?

#8 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-07-12 08:14 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Hey, this is pretty good stuff. I'll take the time to watch both videos.

#6 | POSTED BY HELIUMRAT

You're welcome ~

There are a bunch of you-tube videos of Hedrick Smith lecturing and doing Q & A on his book 'Who Stole The American Dream?', and I think I've almost seen them all. And while he says pretty much the same things in all these videos he does mention difference tidbits here and there, and the Q & A is different in each video.

Be sure to spread the gospel! :D

#9 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-07-12 08:41 PM | Reply

#8 | POSTED BY HELIUMRAT

Exactly

He really does a tremendous job of connecting the dots in showing how we got to where were are today with inequality and especially wealth inequality.

#10 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-07-12 08:44 PM | Reply

reclaimtheamericandream.org

Washington – If like most Americans you're angry that our democracy feels broken, that elections are being corrupted by billionaire and corporate money, and that politicians are rigging elections through gerrymandering, we've got good news for you.

Grass Roots America is staging a political comeback.

Citizen rebellions against the politicians and the power brokers are in full swing – from the student March for Our Lives to the spreading teacher strikes from Kentucky to Oklahoma and Arizona to the petition drives and popular votes on political reforms in states like Michigan, Missouri, Ohio and Colorado.

For every flaw in our political system – dark money, voter suppression, gerrymandering, Citizens United, Mega-Donors, hyper-partisanship – grass roots movements have come up with fixes and are already implementing reforms at the state level.

The Missing Story of American Politics

We are bringing you these positive stories in "THE PEOPLE VS THE POLITICIANS" – our new one-hour documentary for MSNBC, due for nationwide broadcast this summer.

Once the final technical checks are done, broadcast dates will be set and we'll get the word out to you.

Please tell your network. Right now, hope you'll visit our new YouTube Channel, "The People vs The Politicians." To see new videos and subscribe, click here goo.gl

Our documentary, website and YouTube Channel highlight the missing story in American politics today – citizen power winning back our democracy.

Most Americans don't know this positive news because it gets only skimpy, piecemeal coverage from the mainstream media, that is obsessed with Washington.

The vast majority of Americans have given up Washington. They're fed up with the same-old, same-old, the political gamesmanship and policy paralysis. In the fight to fix America's broken democracy, the states are now the battleground for civic action.

And surprise, surprise, people power is actually winning, state by state.

Grass roots heroes are making a difference, restoring fairness, transparency and a more level political playing field.

You'll be inspired by the citizen reformers in "THE PEOPLE VS THE POLITICIANS."

Hedrick Smith is a national treasure.

#11 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-07-12 08:57 PM | Reply

I wonder if they'll mention the Tea Party...

#12 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-07-12 09:10 PM | Reply

I wonder if they'll mention the Tea Party...

#12 | POSTED BY JEFFJ

He mentions the tea party in the top video, so he'll probably mention them in the upcoming documentary.

#13 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-07-12 09:16 PM | Reply

Cool.

For what it's worth - this is when you are at your best BTW - take an issue you are passionate about and genuinely try to persuade in a non-partisan manner. Good stuff and I plan on checking this out.

#14 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-07-12 09:18 PM | Reply

I wonder if they'll mention the Tea Party...

POSTED BY JEFFJ AT 2018-07-12 09:10 PM | REPLY

You mean that racist organ??

#15 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-07-12 09:27 PM | Reply

Organs aren't racist, Laura. I guess a person could play some kind of racist song on an organ, but the organ itself isn't racist.

#16 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-07-12 09:32 PM | Reply

POSTED BY JEFFJ AT 2018-07-12 09:32 PM | REPLY

Tel;l that to Boaz. He acts like he has a white one. Hence the psychological need to proclaim Alpha make status on a Political blogsite.

#17 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-07-12 09:34 PM | Reply

POSTED BY JEFFJ AT 2018-07-12 09:32 PM | REPLY

Tell that to Boaz. He acts like he has a white one. Hence the psychological need to proclaim Alpha male status on a Political blogsite.

#18 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-07-12 09:36 PM | Reply

#18 That's a horrifying thing to say. You should take that back. Also, he has changed completely since Nulli and I sent him that patented Jesus foot anointing oil made from "hemp", and um, "other fine ingredients". People can change, but it really helps if you try to help. Remember that.

#19 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-07-12 09:48 PM | Reply

People can change, but it really helps if you try to help. Remember that.

#19 | POSTED BY HELIUMRAT

Totally agree, people can change. Facts, knowledge, truth helps that process. And people like Hedrick Smith are American truth-telling pillars that everyone can point to ...

Glad you liked what Hedrick Smith had to say.

#20 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-07-13 04:39 PM | Reply