Wednesday, July 11, 2018

It started with just a few people dancing outdoors in the summer heat. Arms flailing, bodies swaying and clothes soaked with sweat, they danced through the night and into the next day. Seldom stopping to eat or drink, and seemingly oblivious to mounting fatigue and the pain of bruised feet, they were still going days later. By the time the authorities intervened, hundreds more were dancing in the same frenetic fashion.

Comments

that's my dna test says i'm from.

#1 | Posted by ichiro at 2018-07-11 03:41 AM | Reply

where

#2 | Posted by ichiro at 2018-07-11 03:42 AM | Reply

Boogie fever.... Got to boogie down...
Boogie fever... I think it's going around...

#3 | Posted by RevDarko at 2018-07-11 10:55 AM | Reply

What's the first case on the docket?
Judge I got a boy here who can't dance
Can't dance? Ah
Ninety days, thirty days for boogaloo
Thirty days to learn how to shing-a-ling
And thirty more for the Afro twist
Can't dance, what is this
--Shorty Long, "Here Comes the Judge"

We're gonna do the Monkey
(The Philly Dog too)
We're gonna do the Jerk
(Just me and you)

We're gonna dance, dance, dance
We're gonna shing-a-ling
We're gonna do the thing tonight
Dit-dit-dit-do

So get on up
(Get on up)
And sock it to me
(Get on up)

Get on up
(Get on up)
And rock it to me
(Get on up)

So get on up
(Get on up)
And sock it to me
(Get on up)
--The Esquires, "Get on up"

I'll stop now, but could do this all day long...

#4 | Posted by catdog at 2018-07-11 12:14 PM | Reply

Sounds like someone made some 'Mushroom Mead'.

Very odd story.

#5 | Posted by 9mmHeater at 2018-07-11 01:30 PM | Reply

It happened in modern times too: www.youtube.com

#6 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-07-11 02:37 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Someone put a spell on them.

#7 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-07-11 05:46 PM | Reply

I liked the germ theory of how this happened. It sort of makes sense: a rare disease that causes something like epileptic fits. It would explain how they danced until they died, crying out in horror for mercy and stuff.

Or it could be worst case of mass demonic possession ever. I mean, people have known about demonic possession for tens of thousands of years. How could it not be real?

Anyway I learned about this decades ago so when it showed up in the news I had to post.

#8 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-07-11 07:33 PM | Reply

safety!
Safety-dance!
Ah we can dance if we want to, we can leave your friends behind
Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance
Well they're are no friends of mine
I say, we can go where we want to, a place where they will never find
And we can act like we come from out of this world
Leave the real one far behind,
And we can dance

#9 | Posted by PinkyanTheBrain at 2018-07-12 07:40 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

After that, an inoculation for Boogie Fever was developed.

#10 | Posted by Nuke_Gently at 2018-07-12 08:58 AM | Reply

We gonna dance like it was 1518.

#11 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-07-12 01:28 PM | Reply

#9 gets my vote for most fitting on this one.

Nice job.