Tuesday, July 10, 2018

A white Memphis woman was fired from her job at an apartment development after she was recorded calling the police on a black man who was wearing socks while swimming in a pool. Trilogy Residential Management said Erica Walker, a manager at one of their properties, was "terminated immediately after we completed our investigation." The company said Walker would "never be employed by Trilogy Residential Management, LLC or any of its properties in the future." A woman named Camry Porter recorded the confrontation while she was at the pool area at the Riverset Apartments with her boyfriend and two godchildren on the Fourth of July.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Porter claims Walker said her boyfriend needed remove his socks or leave. Porter later posted video of the incident on Facebook, where it has been viewed more than 1 million times.

"And she was like, 'Well, I'm the property manager,' and she pointed at the rules. The rules say, 'Proper pool attire.' It doesn't specify what proper pool attire is," Porter told CBS affiliate WREG-TV.

Porter said Walker told them hats were also prohibited from the pool, but didn't approach several white men who were wearing hats in the pool. In the video, Walker said hats are allowed if they're not dunked in the water.

"You know everything happening in the nation now, and like, now I'm a part of it. It hits home," Porter told WREG-TV, adding that she believes they were singled out because of their race.

"It does look funny," she explained. "It's 25, 30-plus white people out here and you haven't said anything. You're partying with them! But when we come, it's an issue."

When police arrived at the scene, Porter and her boyfriend decided to leave.

"You called the police on me. That could have went a whole other way. We've seen that," Porter told WREG-TV.

Several white people across the country have lost jobs or faced legal trouble for similar incidents at swimming pools this summer. In South Carolina, a white woman faces third-degree assault charges for allegedly striking a black teen. She allegedly told him and his friends they didn't belong at a pool and needed to leave. In North Carolina, a white man was fired after he demanded identification from a black family who tried to enter a private community pool and called police on them.

Comments

I thought black people loved being barefoot???

#1 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-07-10 09:06 AM | Reply

You can't get ant recognition by conforming to the norm.

Both were stoopid.

#2 | Posted by Sniper at 2018-07-10 01:16 PM | Reply

Socks in the pool? That's pretty gross, imo. Still, if you're going to stand behind a regulation you need to enforce it fairly and equally. When you don't there's really only one way to look at the situation.

#3 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2018-07-10 02:05 PM | Reply

POSTED BY HAGBARD_CELINE AT 2018-07-10 02:05 PM | REPLY

Not to mention unsanitary.

#4 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-07-10 02:08 PM | Reply

You drink a gallon of raw milk every day and your worried about sanitary?

#5 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-07-10 02:15 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"Not to mention unsanitary."

I assumed people would understand that was included in my definition of "gross."

#6 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2018-07-10 02:18 PM | Reply

#5 | POSTED BY BRUCEBANNER

Drinking milk in its natural state is far different than allowing someone to swim in sweaty socks.

#7 | Posted by justagirl_idaho at 2018-07-10 02:20 PM | Reply

#8 | Posted by justagirl_idaho at 2018-07-10 02:23 PM | Reply

POSTED BY HAGBARD_CELINE AT 2018-07-10 02:18 PM | REPLY

People claim me drinking raw milk is gross yet it's not unsanitary. They sterilize the bottles beforehand.

#9 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-07-10 02:35 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Wearing black socks while white and mowing the lawn in sandals merits a 911 call.

#10 | Posted by schifferbrains at 2018-07-10 03:00 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

#3 | POSTED BY HAGBARD_CELINE
#4 | POSTED BY LAURAMOHR

Socks are only as gross as the feet that were in them. The feet still go in the pool.

While the thought of wearing wet socks seem uncomfortable, did the lady bother to ask politely why the gentleman was wearing socks?

#11 | Posted by memyselfini at 2018-07-10 05:32 PM | Reply

Socks are only as gross as the feet that were in them. #11

I disagree. Socks are absorbent while your skin is far less so. If I step in dog urine on my way to the pool I can simply rinse my foot off and it is done, whereas the sock would have absorbed that and it would take more work to clean. There are lots of things my socks protect my skin from, and I wouldnt want any of those things in my pool at home. I do not agree with the way this woman chose to treat the people involved. She was obviously picking and choosing when to enforce the rules.

#12 | Posted by justagirl_idaho at 2018-07-10 05:46 PM | Reply

Socks are fuel my friends.

youtu.be

youtu.be

#13 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-07-10 06:01 PM | Reply

I agree the gentleman was a filthy muckymuck.

But if someone wanted to swim in a wet-suit... would they call they cops on him/her too?

If all clothing is bad, why not declare the pool skinny-dipping only? I would go to THAT pool.

#14 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-07-11 07:58 AM | Reply

You drink a gallon of raw milk every day and your worried about sanitary?

POSTED BY BRUCEBANNER AT 2018-07-10 02:15 PM | REPLY

At least I can spell you're correctly. What is your excuse??? Not enough raw dairy in your diet???

#15 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-07-11 09:31 AM | Reply

White people think 911 and the police are customer service.

#16 | Posted by MrSilenceDogood at 2018-07-11 10:41 AM | Reply

#7 | POSTED BY JUSTAGIRL_IDAHO AT 2018-07-10 02:20 PM | REPLY | FLAG:

What is the difference between sweaty socks and sweaty feet?

Boaz?

#17 | Posted by 726 at 2018-07-11 10:45 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

#17 | POSTED BY 726 --- I mentioned that later in #12. I would hope they are rinsing their feet before entering the pool. Those are the rules at my home.

#18 | Posted by justagirl_idaho at 2018-07-11 10:48 AM | Reply

"I would also add to my #7 that I wouldnt want anyone in the pool with their hat either. Those things get super dirty and sweaty. To me entering the pool in socks is like getting in with shoes on. Gross."

Cool story Idaho. Now do sweaty swimming trunks. Do you go in the pool when guys are wearing those?

#19 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-07-11 01:09 PM | Reply

Some of these "while black" stories stink.

Wearing socks in the pool is a universal no-no and is sure to draw negative attention.
She may well be a racist, but this story isn't proof of that.
Same with the kid mowing the lawn, or the people grilling.

The guy and the cop from the Puerto Rican incident were racists, IMO.

#20 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2018-07-11 01:59 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

-Some of these "while black" stories stink.

Yeah, but if there is a video....they are almost always funny as hell.

#21 | Posted by eberly at 2018-07-11 02:03 PM | Reply

This just in:

An Indianapolis man said a woman confronted him at an apartment pool in a case of racial profiling.

Shane Holland was sitting at the pool Friday at River Crossing Apartments, where he lives, when a white woman demanded to know where he lives and asked him to leave, reported WRTV-TV.

"She didn't introduce herself, she didn't say hello," said Holland, who is black. "She says, ‘Do you live here?' I'm like, ‘Yes, I live here, I wouldn't be here if I didn't live here.'"

The woman -- who Holland later learned was an off-duty police officer -- wasn't satisfied and demanded to know exactly where he lives.

"I'm like, ‘I live over there, but if you're asking me for my address, I mean, I don't feel comfortable giving you my entire address without knowing who you are,'" Holland said.

Holland showed the woman his key fab, which he used to enter the pool area, and she grabbed it from his hand.

The property manager eventually came outside and recognized Holland, but still asked him to leave the pool area.

Raw Story

#22 | Posted by Derek_Wildstar at 2018-07-11 02:08 PM | Reply

Now do sweaty swimming trunks.
#19 |

What if he's wearing cut-off sweatpants as trunks, with the backside seam showing a lot of wetness before he cannon-balls into the pool?

What if a corpulent grandma is just marinating in the shallow end, emitting sour, fusty odors from folds unseen?

I've been in a few pools in the last ten years and apparently using some sort of saline blend instead of chlorine is a thing.
I want the chlorine.
Bleach the --- out of the water. I don't care if my hair turns green.

#23 | Posted by schifferbrains at 2018-07-11 02:32 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Bleach the --- out of the water. I don't care if my hair turns green.

#23 | POSTED BY SCHIFFERBRAINS

Im with you on that. I use the BBB method on my pool (bleach-baking soda-borax) and test religiously. My kids and their friends all know the drill. There is an outside rinse station you use before jumping in. At our public pools you are supposed to shower in the locker room before heading out. I dont care if you are blue, rinse before swimming, and please no hats, socks, etc in the pool. To me this wouldnt be a race issue if she was applying the rules across the board. She singled them out. That's not okay.

#24 | Posted by justagirl_idaho at 2018-07-11 03:04 PM | Reply

Some of these "while black" stories stink.
She may well be a racist, but this story isn't proof of that.
Same with the kid mowing the lawn, or the people grilling.

NW.