Monday, July 09, 2018

There's the white lawyer who berated the workers at a Manhattan deli for speaking Spanish -- insisting that "I pay for their welfare. I pay for their ability to be here. The least they can do is speak English" -- and then threatened to report them to Immigration and Customs Enforcement. There's the white student who reported a black student for taking a nap in the common room of their dorm at Yale, saying, "I have every right to call the police -- you cannot sleep in that room." And there's the white mother who called the police about two Native American students taking part in a campus tour at Colorado State University, telling the dispatcher that "they are not, definitely not, a part of the tour." The language in these complaints -- "I pay," "I have every right," "they are definitely not" -- is quite illuminating. It indicates a belief on the part of these white people that they are the custodians of public space and can enlist the police to enforce its boundaries.

Comments

So...why is it unreasonable to expect people to learn and use English?

English is the established primary language of America and frankly is becoming a globally universal language.

Getting all upset and walking out might be a bit much.

If liberals can set aside for a second their running down America routine, what is wrong with expecting immigrants to learn English?

Bill of Rights...The Constitution?

Won't it be in their best interest to become an English speaking American?

Do we not care about helping these people prosper?

btw...I will never press 1 for English...never. So far I've only seen 1 phone system that dropped me off so I called their customer service and tied up an employee with my questions about account balances.

#1 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-07-09 06:56 PM | Reply

"So...why is it unreasonable to expect people to learn and use English?"

Old dogs, new tricks, etc. etc.

#2 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-07-09 07:06 PM | Reply

if you want english to be embraced more fully then promote public education instead of using language as a touchstone to justify racism

#3 | Posted by ABlock at 2018-07-09 07:07 PM | Reply

"So...why is it unreasonable to expect people to press 1 for English?"

#4 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-07-09 07:09 PM | Reply

BILL -

There's a difference between learning English and mastering English. So everytime you order a burger from an immigrant that got your order wrong and you assume it's because said immigrant doesnt know English, think of the ongoing attempt these people make in learning the English language and the consequences, mostly put in place by people like you, they suffer when not learning English at the opportune time for you to not be frustrated with said immigrant.

Everytime you make a statement, like the one you just posted, about immigrants not learning English opens an opportunity to educate, which I appreciate. Because without ignoramuses like yourself, this conversation would not be relevant. So thanks for giving me the opportunity to slap you down and pronounce that the VAST majority of immigrants are trying there damned hardest to learn English solely in fear of experiencing retribution from the likes of you. Furthermore, they are far more likely to learn English when positively supported by outsiders within their neighborhoods. That just so happens to be the exact opposite of what you offer here on the DR. So here's to the hope that you don't also espouse such -------- to immigrants in the real world; here's to hoping you reserve the hatred solely for the DR. Because I can take it; innocent immigrants doing their best to assimilate do not deserve such derision from you or anyone like you.

#5 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2018-07-09 07:11 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

*their damned....

Just to be sure, I know Engrish.

#6 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2018-07-09 07:13 PM | Reply

Ab,

Why should expecting people to learn English have anything to do with racism or name calling.

What is wrong with people they can't give an answer to a question that doesn't bring in racism?

How about a real answer?

Not all immigrants coming to America speak Spanish.

What? Hispanics are more important than Germans or French?

Or should we call businesses and expect...Press 1 for English..2 for Spanish..3 for Hindi...4 for French..5 for German....and so on?

Come on...get real.

There's nothing racist about it.

It's practical.

Things work much better for everyone involved if they speak the same language.

#7 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-07-09 07:19 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Rsty,

I almost answered you....but I checked...you were added to my do not respond list on 5/19/16.

You write in Trollish. I don't speak that language.

#8 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-07-09 07:21 PM | Reply

When racism is a valid variable to address said question, which is very often when considering American society and politics, addressing racism as a variable is not only cogent, but necessary.

But, yeah, I get it: That white privilege you suffer from really can be blinding.

#9 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2018-07-09 07:22 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

"Is it not in their best interest to not only become citizens but to assimilate the American way of thinking?"

What a good little freedom-hating drone you are.

#10 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-07-09 07:23 PM | Reply

"Why should America make all sorts of accomidations for Spanish speaking people but not others?"

We do accommodate languages other than English and Spanish, BillJohnson.

#11 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-07-09 07:25 PM | Reply

Listen here, you luddite, Rogers instituted the plonk option for a reason.

And if you deem my posts to be trollish, that's a problem with your reasoning, not my approach.

Grow some thicker skin and address the points being made. It's your stances I take issue with, nothing personal. Hence why people post here in the first place, you pansy!

Lastly, it's a little sad you have a list. Grow some balls and ignore like BOAZ does or learn some digital literacy and plonk my ass.

#12 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2018-07-09 07:26 PM | Reply

Rsty,

English is a white language?

Hahahaha...

I'm updating my list....You are getting an extra star...

You will never get a peep from me.

#13 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-07-09 07:29 PM | Reply

This guy thinks it's okay to bash every immigrant lacking mastery of the English language but gets butt hurt when challenged, claiming posts toward him are "trollish." Here's your average Trump supporter, people. Can sling all the prejudice they can muster but can't handle a basic challenge to their notions of truth.

Good luck in November, libbies! When your opponents are that deluded, you will have ZERO chance in improving this country.

#14 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2018-07-09 07:31 PM | Reply

"English is a white language?"

Given that it originates from white cultures, yes.

#15 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-07-09 07:31 PM | Reply

BillJohnson, why are you so racist?

#16 | Posted by moder8 at 2018-07-09 07:32 PM | Reply

--.I will never press 1 for English...never. So far I've only seen 1 phone system that dropped me off so I called their customer service and tied up an employee with my questions about account balances.

I always press 0. Anyone that abides those voice-activated menus with poor voice recognition ("I'm sorry, could you repeat that?) is a sucker.

#17 | Posted by nullifidian at 2018-07-09 07:35 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Your comment has to be put in context: A person, wholly unrelated to a given discussion, gets mad because other people are having this discussion in another language.

I disagree with the notion that someone should be expected to use a given language to satisfy the curiosity of bystanders. When convenient, I will even switch to another language when speaking in order to NOT have bystanders in my conversation.

Further, the story of immigrants is not solely limited to those who wish to become citizens, so I would not make such blanket assumptions about their needs. To become a citizen, one must demonstrate English-language proficiency, save for some circumstances such as in the case of the old, disabled, etc. Similarly, to become a citizen, one must pass a civics exam concerning exactly the topics you described: the Constitution, high-level US history, etc., again excluding some specific circumstances.

#18 | Posted by yusyusyus at 2018-07-09 07:36 PM | Reply

So you're gonna plonk without the plonk?! You ------- dirt rotten rebel you!

Enjoy your ignorance, BILL!

You've earned it in SPADES!

But don't worry, I don't need ignorant responses from the likes of you. I'm settled in my beliefs that you'll still read what I post, consider it, and be the little nagging thought in the back of your head each time you post on the DR, which I'm sure every DR poster on your list accomplishes daily. I consider being a part of said list a privilege; means I struck the exact chord I was aiming for, the one that makes you think, for a change.

#19 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2018-07-09 07:36 PM | Reply

You could try not slurring your words.

#20 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-07-09 07:36 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Careful, you might just earn a star on Bill's list, which apparently means he wont respond to you.

You know, like being plonked without actually being plunked. IOW, Bill does appreciate the messages and points countering his arguments, he just doesn't have the courage (ability?) to properly address them within his POV. But, I suppose, that's when you know you reached him. LOL!!

#21 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2018-07-09 07:40 PM | Reply

BillJohnson, why are you so racist?

POSTED BY MODER8 AT 2018-07-09 07:32 PM | REPLY

Fanatical Christianity will do that to you.

#22 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-07-09 07:42 PM | Reply

Dirk,

The history of English is immaterial.

It is not a white language anymore.

#23 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-07-09 07:42 PM | Reply

"The history of English is immaterial."

History is never immaterial.

#24 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-07-09 07:43 PM | Reply

"The past is never dead. It is never even past."

-Faulkner

#25 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-07-09 07:45 PM | Reply

Of course...I am making broad general statements.

All languages are supported in specific places here and there in America.

I would actually appreciate a thought out answer that doesn't involve racism.

I believe Americans should speak a common language regardless of their race.

No more...no less.

#26 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-07-09 07:51 PM | Reply

"I always press 0."

Really, you press 0?
Not dial 0 from your rotary phone?

#27 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-07-09 07:52 PM | Reply | Funny: 5

#7 | POSTED BY BILLJOHNSON

and what level of proficiency are we going to demand before we bestow citizenry on people...'cause i assume that your demand includes the native
born. and if language is the issue then i'd suggest a mandatory spelling and handwriting legibility test. personally i find myself more apt to be asked to respond to some inarticulate hillbilly than someone who speaks spanish, but maybe that's just because we don't have any mexicans around here

#28 | Posted by ABlock at 2018-07-09 07:52 PM | Reply

"However....the point of this thread is that this person expected people to use English and I am asking...getting away from his tirade....why is he necessarily wrong?"

Mostly because it's none of his business, is why he's wrong.

#29 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-07-09 07:53 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Why is it people can't speak of patriotic American spirit without being accused of racism?"

Because patriotic American spirit is racist through and through; imperialism and jingoism built on slavery and genocide.

#30 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-07-09 07:54 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"People need to stop playing the racism card every time they are challenged with a real question.
#7 | POSTED BY BILLJOHNSON"

You've asked plenty of questions that don't get the race card, BillJohnson.

They usually get the homophobic card, but that is in fact a different card.

#31 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-07-09 08:03 PM | Reply

To badd a thought out answer involving racism is no longer considered valid. Is that the hope of many here, that we are past a point in time when racism is no longer a valid variable within the discussion?

Such an era has a label by the way, It's called the era of color blindness. And it's a farcical notion to think that we are actually experiencing such an era.

#32 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2018-07-09 08:06 PM | Reply

Bill Johnson, you claim you are not a racist, but your posts claim you are.
I think you are too stupid and or too naive to realize it. Own your racism Bill!

...and put me on your list.

Or better yet, stop posting here if you can't handle it when you get questioned.

#33 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2018-07-09 08:07 PM | Reply

Dirk,

"Because patriotic American spirit is racist through and through"

#34 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-07-09 08:08 PM | Reply

That's not how racism works, bill.

#35 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2018-07-09 08:09 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

Dirk,

People like you will never be able to let go of skin color.

#36 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-07-09 08:09 PM | Reply

People like you refuse to ad dress skin color and the way people react to it, bill.

Why is that?

#37 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2018-07-09 08:11 PM | Reply

#34 | POSTED BY BILLJOHNSON AT 2018-07-09 08:08 PM | FLAG:

Like Martin Luther King Jr?

#38 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-07-09 08:14 PM | Reply

People like you will never be able to let go of skin color.

#36 | POSTED BY BILLJOHNSON AT 2018-07-09 08:09 PM | FLAG:

And why should I? Racism is a real thing. It won't go away just because you decide to self-servingly ignore it.

#39 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-07-09 08:15 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Well said Dirk

#40 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2018-07-09 08:16 PM | Reply

"I believe Americans should speak a common language regardless of their race."

And it just so happens to be yours! How very convenient.

#41 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-07-09 08:19 PM | Reply

"People who continue to bring racism into every conversation are the true racists."

This isn't every conversation.

Racism has a real place in discussion of English as a national language. For the simple fact that the majority English speaking countries are also majority white countries.

Hope this helps you see past the blinders.

#42 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-07-09 08:21 PM | Reply

Eating fecal matter and being polyamorous is more acceptable.

I'm glad racism is not socially accepted.
But the things that ARE accepted is suspect.

#43 | Posted by drivelikejehu at 2018-07-10 01:10 AM | Reply

How can anybody live in this country for twenty years without learning English? Our education system is so poor that most natural born citizens cannot pass a naturalization civic's test.

There are exceptions and modifications to the naturalization requirements that are available to those who qualify. USCIS also provides accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
English Language Exemptions:
You Are Exempt From The English Language Requirement, But Are Still Required To Take The Civics Test If You Are:
• Age 50 or older at the time of filing for naturalization and have lived as a permanent resident (green card holder) in the United States for 20 years (commonly referred to as the "50/20" exception).
OR
• Age 55 or older at the time of filing for naturalization and have lived as a permanent resident in the United States for 15 years (commonly referred to as the "55/15" exception).
• Even if you qualify for the "50/20" or "55/15" English language exceptions listed above, you must still take the civics test.
• You will be permitted to take the civics test in your native language.
• If you take the test in your native language, you must bring an interpreter with you to your interview.
• Your interpreter must be fluent in both English and your native language.
• If you are age 65 or older and have been a permanent resident for at least 20 years at the time of filing for naturalization, you will be given special consideration regarding the civics requirement.

Medical Exemptions:
You may be eligible for an exception to the English and civics naturalization requirements if you are unable to comply with these requirements because of a physical or developmental disability or a mental impairment.

#44 | Posted by bayviking at 2018-07-10 07:39 AM | Reply

I agree with the article in that individuals and small business owners have felt the wrath of social response to their bigotry...thanks mostly to smart phones and social media.

But is it "working" in the big picture?

Let me check......Donald Trump is president and Jeff Sessions is Attorney General.

so, by my definition of "working"....I'd say no, it's not working.

#45 | Posted by eberly at 2018-07-10 08:45 AM | Reply

Bill Johnson is right. When bringing in immigrants, they must assimilate to our way of thinking. You cannot a true one nation if everyone is separated in groups with different languages.

#46 | Posted by boaz at 2018-07-10 10:01 AM | Reply

#46 - those damn immigrants from Puerto Rico!
And speaking to your friends in your native language? That should be BANNED!

Some of you are so blind to your bigotry, it's almost comical.

(and if you don't get the ridiculousness of, and errors in, the first two sentences, that third sentence is definitely for you.)

#47 | Posted by YAV at 2018-07-10 10:20 AM | Reply

#46 what are you talking about? You are in IT. You don't speak a word of English.

#48 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-07-10 10:27 AM | Reply

What a crappy article written by someone who had to make up a redneck story to try to make a point. All this article does is continue the 21st century dialogue that rules don't matter anymore. In fact, now they have to start being rewritten to be racist to white people. Not saying that's a bad thing, just stating what so many people don't understand. Instead of a rule saying "Only paying customers can use the bathroom.", it has to say "Only paying customers can use the bathroom, except if you aren't white.". Instead of saying "Students are not allowed to sleep in common areas.", it has to say "Students are not allowed to sleep in common areas, except if you aren't white." In fact, this article really is just trying to prove that white people care about rules and others don't. Well, at least that's what it is saying if you are objective and don't just blindly follow along with someone because you agree with the headline.

There are real examples of racism occurring, it's just unfortunate they are being overshadowed by non-racist events just so people can continue to keep racism alive.

#49 | Posted by humtake at 2018-07-10 11:51 AM | Reply

#46 | POSTED BY BOAZ

"Resistance is futile. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service ours."

#50 | Posted by Derek_Wildstar at 2018-07-10 01:01 PM | Reply

Growing up & working 20+ years in Houston, TX I worked with many Mexicans & South Americans, both legal & illegal. Often, we'd work closely together to where we had a lot of interaction & built friendships. Most spoke a little English & also understood, usually, more than they could speak & I was the same with Spanish.

I always gave one piece of advice, not a lecture, to the guys a relationship had been built with. I simply would explain to them that if they wanted to be able to earn more money & have more job opportunities, learning more English was the way to achieve this.

I know many have lived in areas where, every single day, groups of 10-30 Mexicans would hang out at certain spots from early in the morning, as I'm sure they still do. Contractor's etc. who needed workers would stop in their truck to collect laborers for the day at these spots. The 1st thing they'd ask is, 'who speaks English well?' Having at least one worker who could relay work related messages to the crew, from English to Spanish, was pretty much a must in most cases.

That's just the way it is, and any immigrant, legal or not, understood this or learned quickly they needed to at least understand as much English as they could. Since understanding English has been more important, in order to get work, it's possible the learning to speak it part has often taken a back seat to understanding English.

#51 | Posted by 9mmHeater at 2018-07-10 06:27 PM | Reply

"When bringing in immigrants, they must assimilate to our way of thinking."

Our way of thinking?

You mean, my way of thinking, or your way of thinking?

What way of thinking is this "our way" you're referring to?

#52 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-07-10 06:38 PM | Reply

"There are real examples of racism occurring"

Such as?

#53 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-07-10 06:39 PM | Reply

I had a conversation in Spanish with the handyman at my apartment building and then walked to my local bodega and had an exchange in Arabic. If I had stopped off at my usual spot for cheap coffee there would at least been a dzień dobry and a Dziękuję Ci for the Polish lady that runs the store.

There are many countries that have mandatory English classes in grade schools and up. If you don't speak English in the USA you can still get by, but your choices may be limited (e.g. an employer who only speaks English may be reluctant to hire someone with whom he cannot communicate, some potential customers may not purchase your recreational pharmaceuticals, etc.). Moving away from a melting pot and more towards a stew.

I always learn a few key words and phrases for every country I visit. If I'm staying longer I work to expand what I can say. It doesn't hurt.

Political party affiliation is not a protected class, and neither is non-English speaking. Language is not a race.

And I agree with whoever above said it's not "white privilege" but more of a "‘merikan privilege."

#54 | Posted by Nuke_Gently at 2018-07-10 06:44 PM | Reply

The US does not have an official language. Personally, I believe that to be a good thing. Yes, a common language is helpful and most people immigrating here have, at least a basic understanding of the language. (I include legal and illegal immigration here because, for this topic, the differentiation is irrelevant.)

For those who believe we do have an official language, you are 100% wrong, and historically, the single time we cameclose to having one, the language wasn't English, it was Dutch.

#55 | Posted by RevDarko at 2018-07-11 09:18 AM | Reply

One of the things I've always disliked about the European laws banning public display or support for Nazi images or ideology is that it just drives it underground. Otto Frank successfully sued holocaust deniers on several occasions, forcing them to stop publishing books or making public comments. I think it would have been much better to allow them to make asses of themselves, giving them as much rope as they wanted to hang themselves.

#56 | Posted by madbomber at 2018-07-11 12:05 PM | Reply

Any evidence that's better, or are you just navel-gazing?

#57 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-07-11 12:34 PM | Reply

Rev,

I went back and checked.

The word "official" wasn't used once in this thread.

#58 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-07-11 04:54 PM | Reply