Monday, July 09, 2018

Organizers of Saturday's marches said many conservative students feel as though their views are not being taken into consideration in the debate about school shootings, and the marches on Saturday were planned as a way to show that not all students support gun control. Planning for Saturday's rallies started in April, weeks after gun control rallies took place in Washington and other cities. Some of Saturday's organizers found one another on Instagram and Facebook and decided to speak out against what they saw as an attack on gun ownership. They expected a modest turnout on Saturday, but far fewer people showed up than organizers had hoped. ... [Florida event organizer Ashley] Johnson said she was disappointed in the turnout. "I don't know why more people didn't show up. I think a lot of conservatives are just afraid to show up for public events," she said through tears.

Comments

I've got an idea. Get your guns and force attendance.

#1 | Posted by Zed at 2018-07-08 10:00 AM | Reply

This is the sort of thing that gives me hope for November. If they won't come out to defend their wives and husbands, their blessed firearms, they won't be out to vote for Trump.

#2 | Posted by Zed at 2018-07-08 10:01 AM | Reply

they won't be out to vote
#2 | POSTED BY ZED AT 2018-07-08 10:01 AM

Wrong. As a gun owner I am tired of my views falling on deaf ears. The only thing attendance at these events would achieve is to set myself up for targeting and harassment by rabid antis. I believe others feel the same.
However, I will be attending a 2nd Amendment event in November.

#3 | Posted by sunuvavitch at 2018-07-08 10:49 AM | Reply | Funny: 2

"Wrong. As a gun owner I am tired of my views falling on deaf ears."

They don't fall on deaf ears, we hear you idiots but we disagree with you idiots. We have rights too. You arrogant creeps seem to think your rights supercede ours.

#4 | Posted by danni at 2018-07-08 10:54 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 8

Wrong. As a gun owner I am tired of my views falling on deaf ears.

#3 | Posted by sunuvavitch

OK, so you're frustrated and not apathetic.

My view? Trump is dragging your concern about the Second Amendment down with him.

#5 | Posted by Zed at 2018-07-08 11:26 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

As a gun owner I am tired of my views falling on deaf ears.

#3 | Posted by sunuvavitch

You poor thing.

As a Citizen I am tired of seeing our children slaughtered.

#6 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-07-09 01:39 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

Damned gun-fondler nitwits.

Any one of them who prattles on about liberty-this or tyranny-that should be water boarded until they explain their interpretation of what is meant by "a well regulated militia".

I suspect it wasn't intended to mean "no rules of any kind".

#7 | Posted by contrecoup at 2018-07-09 01:52 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"As a gun owner I am tired of my views falling on deaf ears"

maybe you need to stick it farther into your ear

#8 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2018-07-09 02:19 PM | Reply

Interesting to hear that the fervor for gun rights is no where near in line with what was the fervor for civil rights. Even whites were willing to take the risk in setting themselves up for targeting and harassment by white supremacists. Apparently, guns are just not THAT important.

#9 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2018-07-09 02:25 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

"The only thing attendance at these events would achieve is to set myself up for targeting and harassment by rabid antis."

There was targeting during the Civil Rights movement too.
People were killed by rabid antis.
People still marched.
That's the difference between you and them. They're not cowards.

#10 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-07-09 03:58 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

As I said in the post above, I think it just has to do with the fact that gun rights are not nearly as important as gun rights enthusiasts make them out to be.

#11 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2018-07-09 04:07 PM | Reply

Most who were on the fence about attending bailed when
-they found out these rallies were not good places to meet girls
-their moms refused to drive them there, wait and then take them home
-three of their friends texted to say they were on Fortnite
-they heard there might be counter-protesters wearing T-shirts with mean slogans

#12 | Posted by catdog at 2018-07-09 04:40 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The gun ban folks here should realize that their dream of abolishing the 2nd amendment is happening any time soon. Tonight trump will pick somebody who is probably far right that will expand gun rights not take them away. I expect national concealed carry laws to come next meaning folks on the coast will be able to carry like much of the rest of the nation.

#13 | Posted by byrdman at 2018-07-09 04:53 PM | Reply

Second Amendment support is proven around 19,000 times a day when people buy firearms. Obama was the biggest boost to gun ownership in history. During his eight years over 50 million firearms were sold, a third of which were bought by first time buyers. Literally there are more guns in this country than people. Good job Barrack.

#14 | Posted by docnjo at 2018-07-09 04:53 PM | Reply

POSTED BY BYRDMAN AT 2018-07-09 04:53 PM | REPLY

Not big enough huh???

#15 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-07-09 04:56 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Laura last month I was back home in your neck of the woods and if I had more time I was going to see if you wanted to grab a bite. Hopefully around the holidays I can get back home.

#16 | Posted by byrdman at 2018-07-09 05:06 PM | Reply

#13 | Posted by byrdman at

Don't want to abolish it. Do want you to start exercising some common sense. Your right to be stupid ends when my high school student is shot at.

#17 | Posted by Zed at 2018-07-09 05:06 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Conservative student protests are always tiny. Gun shows are doing big business though.

#18 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2018-07-09 05:07 PM | Reply

POSTED BY BYRDMAN AT 2018-07-09 05:06 PM | REPLY

THAT Would be awesome. I'm game. Salina correct???

#19 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-07-09 05:09 PM | Reply

Yes ma'am

#20 | Posted by byrdman at 2018-07-09 05:10 PM | Reply

Just an hours drive. Let's arrange something.

#21 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-07-09 05:16 PM | Reply

#14 | POSTED BY Comrade DOCNJO

All this proves is your kind is racist. They were told by Fox News, the NRA, the GOA, Brietbart, etc etc that the big scary black guy in the Whitehouse was gonna take jethro's and Billy Bob's "penis extenders" (aka guns) and all of you racist hilljacks ran out to buy guns and ammo like the scared little snowflakes you are.

#22 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2018-07-09 05:44 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Funny how times change so fast. Just a few years ago, the Obama ATF made it very clear bump stocks are legal. It looks very much like the Trump ATF is going to unilaterally redefine them to be illegal.

#23 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2018-07-09 06:37 PM | Reply

It's about time. B. Hussein was big time in the wrong, glad you think so as well.

#24 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2018-07-09 06:44 PM | Reply

#23 None of the Republicans will complain when a Republican makes them illegal.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

#25 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-07-09 06:50 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

if they could just figure out a way do abortions with guns without killin' momma..just stick it in the old cooz and shoot the little intruder. republican anti choice pro law enforcement would eat it up. the woman could just claim that she felt threatened

#26 | Posted by ABlock at 2018-07-09 07:35 PM | Reply

#23 I believe the Obama ATF were correct. They issued the same conclusion at least 18 times iirc. The new rule won't survive lawsuits, and the makers will take it to the SC and win. It has to be changed through legislation.

#27 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2018-07-09 08:44 PM | Reply

#23 | Posted by sitzkrieg

Let's be clear why the ATF said they were legal. The legal opinion is that particular component is out of their jurisdiction which is why Trump's ATF still haven't banned them. It will take an act of congress.

#28 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2018-07-09 09:21 PM | Reply

#22 | Posted by aborted_monson, So where on a background check when buying a firearm is there a racial requirement? A little uncomfortable fact for your sort of ignorance. All my black kids own firearms, except the convicted felon, but her boy friend does. Nothing racist about guns, mater of fact the first gun control laws passed in this country were to disarm black people down south. There is no such thing as gun control, what is controlled is people.
As far as being an ignorant hillbilly, most county boys I know are much more adaptable and resourceful than any urban soy-boy. You would starve if the grocery store was empty.
Black people face 4 to 6 times the crime than the average white person. I would say they need a good pump shotgun at least. I bought my step daughter and daughter one each. My step son has some really scary black guns. He like myself is a vet, he did four tours in Iraq and the Stan, I did two. So it was fine for us to carry weapons while we were in but it is now a problem?

#29 | Posted by docnjo at 2018-07-09 10:41 PM | Reply

"So where on a background check when buying a firearm is there a racial requirement?"

There isn't, but such a check would have saved Philando Castile's life.

#30 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-07-09 10:43 PM | Reply

"Black people face 4 to 6 times the crime than the average white person."

What's the rate for gun crime?

#31 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-07-09 10:47 PM | Reply

#31 | Posted by snoofy, About 20 times that of white people, most of which are drug gang related. Of course there are plenty of rapes and home invasions in black neighborhoods. The problem is in cities where the only people armed are the thugs, and the law abiding are unarmed, the thugs rule. I would issue every household in such a neighborhood a 12 gauge pump. Safer than a pistol, most small children could never chamber a round in one. I know when some punks kicked in the door of her apartment in Dayton, the sound of her cambering a shell from her bed room had them running out more quickly than they came in. When seconds count, the police are minutes away. Sorry, your self defense and safety is not the responsibility of the police, it is yours.

#32 | Posted by docnjo at 2018-07-09 11:07 PM | Reply

"About 20 times that of white people"

Right, so guns don't keep black people safe at all.

Guns make it more dangerous to be black than white when guns are involved in a crime. Far more than other types of crimes.

#33 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-07-09 11:10 PM | Reply

"The problem is in cities where the only people armed are the thugs, and the law abiding are unarmed, the thugs rule."

^
Sure sounds like guns are the reason for that problem.

#34 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-07-09 11:12 PM | Reply

"I would issue every household in such a neighborhood a 12 gauge pump"

Great, now every home has something the thugs want to steal.

#35 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-07-09 11:13 PM | Reply

#30 | Posted by snoofy No but following the first rule in survival when encountering the police, EMPTY YOUR HANDS. ENSURE THEY ARE VISIBLE. NEVER HAVE A GUN IN YOUR HAND WHEN MEETING THE POLICE. He did and now he is dead, you can learn from his example or make the same mistake.

#36 | Posted by docnjo at 2018-07-09 11:17 PM | Reply

Great snoofy. Thugs aren't the problem, inanimate objects are. Amazing.

#37 | Posted by willowby at 2018-07-09 11:21 PM | Reply

#33 | Posted by snoofy, Nah, the police are involved in about 5% of black homicides. 90% is plain black on black crime. Young gangster killing each other in the drug wars.

#38 | Posted by docnjo at 2018-07-09 11:21 PM | Reply

He did and now he is dead...

He had a gun in his hands? That's news.

#39 | Posted by REDIAL at 2018-07-09 11:25 PM | Reply

You do realize that ~85% is white on white crime, right?

Crime happens where people live. It's not complicated.

#40 | Posted by YAV at 2018-07-09 11:25 PM | Reply

#40 was for #38

And good catch, Redial. That police misadventure cost the city 3.8 million.

#41 | Posted by YAV at 2018-07-09 11:29 PM | Reply

"Great snoofy. Thugs aren't the problem, inanimate objects are. Amazing.
#37 | POSTED BY WILLOWBY"

Take it up with Docnjo, he is the one saying inanimate objects can make the thug problem go away.

#42 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-07-09 11:55 PM | Reply

"Young gangster killing each other in the drug wars."

Indeed.
How does giving them shotguns stop this from happening?

#43 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-07-09 11:56 PM | Reply

"Young gangster killing each other in the drug wars."

Right, so guns don't make you safer if you're black.
They make your life a lot more dangerous.
Do you really not agree with what I'm saying?
You provided the statistics, blacks experience 6x more crime than whites, but 20x more gun crime than whites.

What am I not seeing, that makes you think if only blacks had more guns, fewer blacks would be victimized by guns?

#44 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-07-09 11:58 PM | Reply

Gun ownership increases during the Obama years was due entirely to rightwing paranoia that the black gay muslim kenyan was going to take their guns away. You idiots turned out to be wrong, but firearms manufacturers are laughing all the way to the bank.

#45 | Posted by JOE at 2018-07-10 12:50 AM | Reply

#36 Pathetic.

#46 | Posted by bruceaz at 2018-07-10 12:54 AM | Reply

#42 | Posted by snoofy

Sure sounds like guns are the reason for that problem.

#34 | Posted by snoofy

Why should I take it up with him? He's not the one that blamed the object like you repeatedly do.

#47 | Posted by willowby at 2018-07-10 01:06 AM | Reply

I sure get tired of this inanimate object argument. When a cop gets scared because he thinks he's endangered and some hapless son of a bitch thinks routine traffic stop.....

IT'S NOT INANIMATE IT'S AN EXTENSION OF YOUR HAND. AND THAT GOES FOR ALL OF US.

Yes I could kill you with a skillet. The Philandro cop ---- his pants plain and simple.

Docjno, I am astonished by your judgement.

#48 | Posted by bruceaz at 2018-07-10 01:30 AM | Reply

Bruce,

Have you ever wielded a cast-iron skillet?

Now that's a weapon that can put Buffalo Bob's vaunted car antenna to shame!

#49 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-07-10 01:36 AM | Reply

Well Jeffj, I'll take the fifth on that.

And not that any of you will believe it but in the old days with the youth gangs they did use car anttenae in street fights. B Bob didn't pull that out of the air.

But I am saying the cop pussed out.

#50 | Posted by bruceaz at 2018-07-10 01:50 AM | Reply

He like myself is a vet, he did four tours in Iraq and the Stan, I did two.

I always assumed you, like most posters here, were older and as such you were a Vietnam vet or Desert Storm. Certainly wouldn't have pegged you as GWoT age.

#51 | Posted by jpw at 2018-07-10 01:52 AM | Reply

Now that's a weapon that can put Buffalo Bob's vaunted car antenna to shame!

#49 | POSTED BY JEFFJ

What is this blasphemy you speak of?

#52 | Posted by jpw at 2018-07-10 01:55 AM | Reply

#51 JPW

I don't know about you, but I get tired of these vets bragging about their service when none of it was even remotely as courageous as Trump's own, personal Viet Nam.

That is some congressional medal of honor ---- right there.

#53 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-07-10 01:56 AM | Reply

What is this blasphemy you speak of?

#52 | POSTED BY JPW

Try holding a cast-iron skillet (given your cooking-prowess I'd be shocked if you don't own one) like a baseball bat and imagine the damage it could inflict.

#54 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-07-10 01:58 AM | Reply

#54 Yes, and I'm sure he'll award it to himself shortly.

#55 | Posted by bruceaz at 2018-07-10 01:59 AM | Reply

#55 Exactly, Bruce.

Seriously. I cannot fathom a self-respecting cook not having a cast iron skillet.

#56 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-07-10 02:01 AM | Reply

Oops #53 I meant.

Baseball bat, well I have a bar end of 1 1/4 inch 17-4 by my door if I can't reach my weapon.

#57 | Posted by bruceaz at 2018-07-10 02:11 AM | Reply

Ok Jeff guess I Don't no where your coming from.

#58 | Posted by bruceaz at 2018-07-10 02:14 AM | Reply

I'm joking around, Bruce.

Off to bed and all that.

#59 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-07-10 02:17 AM | Reply

😁

#60 | Posted by bruceaz at 2018-07-10 02:19 AM | Reply

#54 | POSTED BY JEFFJ

Oh I definitely have one.

And it would cave someone's head in without much effort.

But worse than a car antenna? I'd need to see a YouTube video of a head to head test before I believe it.

#61 | Posted by jpw at 2018-07-10 02:38 AM | Reply

#28 | POSTED BY GALAXIEPETE AT 2018-07-09 09:21 PM | FLAG:

Not quite. It is within their jurisdiction. The decision is that a bump stock does not make a semi-automatic rifle into a machine gun. You can pull up the letters themselves, Slidefire keeps the .pdf from the ATF on its website. The ATF reached the same conclusion many times in a row.

#62 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2018-07-10 07:45 AM | Reply

#43 | Posted by snoofy Police do not have any responsibility to protect you. If thugs kick in your door, they will arrive in time to investigate your murder. Here is the crux of the matter, self defense is a basic human right. No one needs to be armed more than a law abiding black family in a urban neighborhood. Democrats at city hall don't care, the police don't care much, the thugs running the street certainly don't care. You think that gangsters just sell drugs? No, they will do anything to "earn". The more violent, the more status they have among their set. Home invasions are high on the violence scale, do you think they will just rob you? Think again. How about simple burglary, (which is the crime that is the best predictor of a serial rapist), do you trust the thief just to steal your stuff? Maybe your paternalistic attitude directed to those poor helpless black people is worst form of racism. A bigotry based upon low expectations and ignorance.

#63 | Posted by docnjo at 2018-07-10 09:40 AM | Reply

#62 | Posted by sitzkrieg, I have dealt with firearms my entire life, I have never seen a bump stock, have no ideal how they are suppose to work. BUT, modifying the action of a firearm is a felony. A federal crime punishable by 5 years imprisonment. BTW there is no parole in federal prison. If the action of a firearm is modified, it is illegal.

#64 | Posted by docnjo at 2018-07-10 11:22 AM | Reply

"BUT, modifying the action of a firearm is a felony. A federal crime punishable by 5 years imprisonment. BTW there is no parole in federal prison. If the action of a firearm is modified, it is illegal."

If we outlaw modifying firearms only outlaws will have modified firearms.

#65 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2018-07-10 11:36 AM | Reply

#62 | Posted by sitzkrieg, I have never seen a bump stock, have no ideal how they are suppose to work. BUT, modifying the action of a firearm is a felony.
#64 | POSTED BY DOCNJO AT 2018-07-10 11:22 AM | FLAG:

It doesn't modify the action. You can bump fire most semi-automatic rifles without one, the stocks just make it easier. "Hellfire" triggers cause the same effect. They have also been ruled legal by the ATF across multiple administrations. Neither modify the fire control group.

#66 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2018-07-10 11:51 AM | Reply

#66 | Posted by sitzkrieg I guess having a "sort of" automatic weapon is fun, but at 50 cents a round, I doubt I could afford burning off that much cash. Besides, you can not hit a target at full auto. Hellfire triggers? Those crank attachments? Hell, does anyone actually know how to fire a weapon and actually hit a target any more? Spray and pray is not effective. Ask Hajji, if you can find one alive.

#67 | Posted by docnjo at 2018-07-10 12:12 PM | Reply

Hellfires aren't much more than a rubber bumper that sits at the back of the trigger well. People have also modded AKs to get bump fire effects with just a small square of rubber cut from a tire.

More like 25 cents a round if you shop in bulk, or much less if you reload.

and no, none of those people can hit anything but the berm.

#68 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2018-07-10 12:30 PM | Reply