Sunday, July 08, 2018

The perilous mission to evacuate 12 boys and their 25-year-old coach trapped deep inside a flooded cave in northern Thailand is under way, Thai authorities announced Sunday. At 10 a.m. local time, an international contingent of 13 specialist divers and five Thai Navy SEALs descended into the watery network of underground tunnels below the Mae Sai mountains, carrying with them the hopes of an entire nation. The first two boys have been rescued.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Abraham Lincoln said there are times in which a man should go to his knees in prayer for he has nowhere else he can go. I'd say this is one of those times.

Comments

🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼

#1 | Posted by ichiro at 2018-07-08 05:34 AM | Reply

First Boys Rescued from Cave

wow, awesome!

#2 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-07-08 09:20 AM | Reply

What a relief. I hope it keeps going this well for all of them.

#3 | Posted by rcade at 2018-07-08 09:34 AM | Reply

Amazing. Just a few days ago they thought it might be October before they could get them out.

#4 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2018-07-08 09:45 AM | Reply

US President Donald Trump has tweeted that the US government is "working very closely" with the government in Thailand to rescue the boys and their coach.

#5 | Posted by REDIAL at 2018-07-08 09:53 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

There are boys in a cave?

Cool!

#6 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-07-08 10:09 AM | Reply

There are boys in a cave?
Cool!

#6 | POSTED BY J_TREMAIN AT 2018-07-08 10:09 AM | FLAG:

That sounds creepy.

#7 | Posted by patron at 2018-07-08 10:19 AM | Reply

I mean there are things happening that I had no idea about. I had given up being surprised.

Get mind out of gutter please.

#8 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-07-08 10:56 AM | Reply

I don' t know what makes this story so marvelous. It reflects the values of our Coast Guard, damn the costs, save those lives. Or its a headline without Trump. In any event its very refreshing and positively wonderful.

#9 | Posted by bayviking at 2018-07-08 11:00 AM | Reply

Science, technology, collaboration, and human decency saved these boys; not thoughts and prayers.

#10 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2018-07-08 12:04 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Indy unless you're part of the rescue efforts all you have to offer are prayers same as most of Thailand.

#11 | Posted by Tor at 2018-07-08 12:17 PM | Reply

J knows Biden.

Jus sayin.

#12 | Posted by HanoverFist at 2018-07-08 12:22 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

I watched/listened to the live coverage last night and this morning on a YouTube channel called, Agenda Free TV. A dude named Steve Lookner is pretty much a one-man news organization. Last night he signed off to catch a few Z's, but no other anchor took over the chair. That guy is rad! I think he might be the same Steve Lookner who used to write for SNL and Seinfeld, but I'm not a hundred percent sure. I'd not heard of him before, but maybe he's a big deal with those in the know. I'm glad I found his program. His was the only channel I found in English that was exclusively devoted to the cave story (aside from going off air for a snooze). Does anybody on the DR know if he's the same Steve Lookner as the comedy writer? If so, it's an odd (but groovy) career change.
Cheers!

#13 | Posted by Karabekian at 2018-07-08 01:07 PM | Reply

... unless you're part of the rescue efforts all you have to offer are prayers same as most of Thailand.

#11 | POSTED BY TOR

Because you're not a MLB player you can't affect the outcomes of ballgames, but by all means send your thoughts and prayers to my fantasy teams, m-kay?

#mybullpensucks

#14 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-07-08 01:11 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Pinchy Stupid prayers likely offend God.

#15 | Posted by Tor at 2018-07-08 03:01 PM | Reply

#15 | POSTED BY TOR

buy a lottery ticket and pledge the winnings (if any)..take a dump in their honor and the hope for their rescue..or pray. as per usual, a good dump is as good an answer as any

#16 | Posted by ABlock at 2018-07-08 03:15 PM | Reply

Pinchy Stupid prayers likely offend God.

#15 | POSTED BY TOR

God is in my fantasy league under the team name 'TheDevilWearsPinstripes' ... I'm winning this league but my relief pitcher, Chaz Roe, just hit the DL with a torn meniscus which puts my bullpen in a real pinch (no pun intended) ...

Please do your best to get over yourself ...

Miracles like saving these trapped kids from certain death do not happen without common sense public policies focused on fully funding education (math and science) combined with making it a priority to spend money on those agencies and programs to fully staff and train personnel (with the right equipment) to do these sort of rescue operations.

No offense ~

#17 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-07-08 03:34 PM | Reply

TLDR

#18 | Posted by Tor at 2018-07-08 04:02 PM | Reply

TLDR

#18 | POSTED BY TOR

Religion is a waste of time ... education (math and science) is what rescues trapped kids in caves.

Better?

#19 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-07-08 04:42 PM | Reply

Prayer helped calm the kids which in turn lead to the air lasting longer.

#20 | Posted by Tor at 2018-07-08 05:04 PM | Reply

#20 their coach was a Buddhist monk, so I'm betting meditation. Plus meditation is more effective in calming and centering.

#21 | Posted by YAV at 2018-07-08 05:14 PM | Reply

The diffefence between the two can be a matter of semantics.

#22 | Posted by Tor at 2018-07-08 05:45 PM | Reply

"That sounds creepy."

That is very creepy.

#23 | Posted by danni at 2018-07-09 08:22 AM | Reply

The diffefence between the two can be a matter of semantics.

#22 | Posted by Tor

Only if you have never actually meditated.

Meditation and prayer are NOT the same thing.

Praying to a God that is outside of your consciousness (allegedly) and becoming more in touch with your own consciousness and balancing and centering your own being are two completely different actions with completely different intentions and results.

#24 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-07-09 01:08 PM | Reply

Has anyone asked what they were doing that far back into a cave in the first place? They were obviously not trained or prepared for such a dangerous venture.

#25 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-07-09 01:18 PM | Reply

POSTED BY DONNERBOY AT 2018-07-09 01:18 PM | REPLY

Curiosity knows no bounds. Just look at Mars.

#26 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-07-09 01:22 PM | Reply

#25 | POSTED BY DONNERBOY AT 2018-07-09 01:18 PM | REPLY

People don't realize how insanely dangerous cave exploration is. In that cave system if it hasn't rained for awhile you can just walk in.

#27 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2018-07-09 02:59 PM | Reply

#25 Almost as dumb as bringing children on a terrible journey to our border.

#28 | Posted by Greatamerican at 2018-07-09 03:47 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Curiosity knows no bounds. Just look at Mars.

#26 | Posted by LauraMohr

So people just spontaneously and with no preparation suddenly decide go to Mars?

Oh I can hear them now...

Dumb: "Hey. I'm bored. Hey look there is Mars! Why don't the 12 of us go to Mars?"

Dumber: "Sure! Why not? I'm driving."

#29 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-07-09 04:58 PM | Reply

Oh I can hear them now...
Dumber: "Sure! Why not? I'm driving."

POSTED BY DONNERBOY AT 2018-07-09 04:58 PM | REPLY

No dingbat the Curiosity rover is on Mars. We're curious what's up there same way these 12 soccer players and coach was curious what it was like in the cave.

#30 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-07-09 05:13 PM | Reply

I see some people have a definition problem.

en.m.wikipedia.org