Sunday, July 08, 2018

The Trump administration took another major swipe at the Affordable Care Act, halting billions of dollars in annual payments required under the law to even out the cost to insurers whose customers need expensive medical services. In a rare Saturday afternoon announcement, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services said it will stop collecting and paying out money under the ACA's "risk adjustment" program, drawing swift protest from the health insurance industry.

Comments

More from article:

Two major insurers' trade groups immediately decried the move.

"Risk adjustment is a mandatory program under federal law," said Scott Serota, president of the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association. "Without a quick resolution . . . this action will significantly increase 2019 premiums for millions of individuals and small business owners. . . . It will undermine Americans' access to affordable coverage, particularly for those who need medical care the most."

Matt Eyles, president of America's Health Insurance Plans, noted in a statement that the timing of this latest move could be particularly disruptive, because this is the season during which insurers around the country decide whether to take part in ACA marketplaces for 2019 and, if so, what rates to charge. "This decision . . . will create more market uncertainty and increase premiums for many health plans," Eyles said.

#1 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-07-07 11:41 PM | Reply

#1 I figure that is exactly what Trump and the GOP want to have happen, so then they can say, "See, the ACA isn't working! Now trust us to fix the healthcare system!" And they will hope that most people won't know about their sabotage and won't be the wiser as to why the ACA has stopped working.

#2 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-07-07 11:48 PM | Reply

"this action will significantly increase 2019 premiums for millions of individuals and small business owners"

#MAGA

#3 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-07-08 01:58 AM | Reply

Holy F^ck. This is the nuclear bomb.

If it wasn't 100% Trumpcare before, it certainly is now.

#4 | Posted by Danforth at 2018-07-08 02:07 AM | Reply

WTF was affordable about the Affordable Care Act?

#5 | Posted by Sniper at 2018-07-08 09:37 AM | Reply

The whole act was a payout to the insurance company at the expense of the tax payer.

#6 | Posted by Sniper at 2018-07-08 09:39 AM | Reply

Good grief. Is canada still taking Americans?

#7 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2018-07-08 10:06 AM | Reply

--Good grief. Is canada still taking Americans?

Good luck immigrating to Canada. They have a highly-selective merit-based system. Don't have critical in-demand job skills? Forget it. Sick or over 45? Forget it. Don't speak English or French? Forget it.

#8 | Posted by nullifidian at 2018-07-08 10:21 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Orange Adolf and his idiot supporters wont be happy until the US is a third world country.

#9 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2018-07-08 01:15 PM | Reply

WTF was affordable about the Affordable Care Act?

#5 | POSTED BY SNIPER

It's much cheaper than that Job Killing Obamacare that's for sure. .

And why won't it die?

It's been in a "death spiral" for years now.

Maybe Trump can finally build a wall around affordable health care and make the sick, poor and disadvantaged pay for it.

#10 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-07-08 01:25 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Let the culling begin.

MAGA

#11 | Posted by getoffmedz at 2018-07-08 02:14 PM | Reply

Sweet I guess I have about 1 more year of posting on the DR.

Come January I won't be able to afford insurance so I won't be able to afford the med to control MS and my 3 years relapse free will come to an end. Won't be able to work so internet access will be dropped as a cost saving measure.

On the plus side though sniper will save his buck o five.

#12 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2018-07-08 02:27 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Sorry to hear that, TAO. I find it hard to believe that Trump can stop a federally mandated payment like this without an act of congress. So all may not be lost for you.

We've known for a long time that Trump has a sadistic streak. There's something wrong with him mentally that he takes pleasure in torturing people ~ all the way from immigrant babies to the elderly and indigent among us.

With the Special Prosecutor hot on his trail this may be his way of striking out. But who knows? The man obviously isn't wired too tight.

#13 | Posted by Twinpac at 2018-07-08 04:38 PM | Reply

WTF was affordable about the Affordable Care Act?

#5 | POSTED BY SNIPER

It was cheaper than what we had before. It brought down premiums when similar policies are compared. It made insurance affordable for people with pre-existing conditions. It helped significantly reduce outstanding medical debt and medical bankruptcies.

And it limited the profit levels of insurance companies...which you seem to forget.

#14 | Posted by Sycophant at 2018-07-08 07:20 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Dear Snipe,

Like ALL insurance programs, it is a bargain for some and a higher cost for others. To save costs cut out private insurance and all its unnecessary profits. This can save doctors time and staff and lower their costs too.

#15 | Posted by bayviking at 2018-07-09 07:33 AM | Reply

"WTF was affordable about the Affordable Care Act?"

Really? Just don't post when you don't have the slightest idea about what your are talking about. I know many people who got health insurance very inexpensively through Obamacare. but then, you always have been just a big fat liar so what's new?

#16 | Posted by danni at 2018-07-09 08:15 AM | Reply

On the plus side though sniper will save his buck o five.

#12 | Posted by TaoWarrior

Tell me why I should pay for your meds. Want me to write you a check?

#17 | Posted by Sniper at 2018-07-09 11:31 AM | Reply

Sniper is all for civilization. Until it personally inconveniences his wallet.

#18 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2018-07-09 11:36 AM | Reply

Tell me why I should pay for your meds. Want me to write you a check?

#17 | POSTED BY SNIPER

Because that's how insurance works and other people are helping pay for yours.

---- off and die you POS.

#19 | Posted by jpw at 2018-07-09 11:37 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Sniper- Tao has MS. You're garbage. After this I have zero respect for you.

Tao- do i even want to know how much the medication costs without insurance?

#20 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2018-07-09 11:39 AM | Reply

8k a month. They have an assistance program but that maxes out at 17k a year so without insurance 2 months worth.

Which do you think costs more? Paying a portion of my costs to the insurance company or paying me ssdi and medicare?

#21 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2018-07-09 01:44 PM | Reply

Tell me why I should pay for your meds. Want me to write you a check?

#17 | Posted by Sniper

I seriously doubt you are paying for anyone's meds.

You'd have to have a job and actually be paying taxes.

#22 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-07-09 01:46 PM | Reply

Remember when Trumptards claimed Trump had no choice but to separate immigrant families because that's what federal law said is supposed to happen?

Remember?

#23 | Posted by JOE at 2018-07-09 02:06 PM | Reply

Tell me why I should pay for your meds. Want me to write you a check?

#17 | POSTED BY SNIPER AT 2018-07-09 11:31 AM

Because paying for part of the cost of my meds is cheaper for you than me not getting my meds, coming to work and infecting 20 other people.

Keeping me healthy, working and paying taxes lowers YOUR costs.

I was on SSDI for 3 years as a result of kidney failure. Without Obamacare I would still be on SSDI. With Obamacare I am able to work and paid more in taxes last year than I collected the entire 3 years I was on SSDI. The attacks on Obamacare specifically allowing recission again may make me unemployable and force me back on SSDI again.

That is what you voted for and don't you dare complain about it

#24 | Posted by hatter5183 at 2018-07-09 02:44 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 5

"Tell me why I should pay for your meds.
#17 | POSTED BY SNIPER"

It costs you less money than paying for his hospirization and surgery.

#25 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-07-09 06:46 PM | Reply

"Tell me why I should pay for your meds. Want me to write you a check?"

Because you can't predict the future and there is just as much of a chance I'll be paying for yours stupid.

#26 | Posted by danni at 2018-07-10 08:37 AM | Reply