Saturday, July 07, 2018

Americans have more cheese than ever before -- and that stinks for cheesemakers. Currently, the U.S. has 1.39 billion pounds of cheese in storage, according to the Department of Agriculture and that equates to roughly 4 pounds of cheese for every American. Why so much? There are two main factors. Cheese is piling up due to a dwindling demand for milk, yet farmers are on target to produce a whopping 218.7 billion pounds of milk by December.

Comments

So cut back on big scale dairy production.

#1 | Posted by Tor at 2018-07-06 02:30 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

The Gubmint should buy it and give it to the homeless.

#2 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-07-06 02:51 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

The Gubmint should buy it and give it to the homeless.

POSTED BY DONNERBOY AT 2018-07-06 02:51 PM | REPLY

I would die for some gubmint cheese right now. It was soooooooooooo good!!!!!!!!!!!!

#3 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-07-06 02:52 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

@#1 ...So cut back on big scale dairy production. ...

That was my first thought when I read the article.

So why don't the producers cut back? I dunno...

#4 | Posted by LampLighter at 2018-07-06 02:58 PM | Reply

So why don't the producers cut back? I dunno...

#4 | Posted by LampLighter

Have you seen Ken Burn's The Dust Bowl?

It is a case study in how when the price of commodities drop the natural inclination of farmers is to produce more the next year to make up for price drop.

#5 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-07-06 03:07 PM | Reply

It is a variation of the Tragedy of the Commons. Each producer knows that scaling up production will increase total and unit profits. But, if all producers scale up, the surplus will depress unit prices and profits for everyone, especially smaller producers, which increases the incentive to scale up.
This happens in all unregulated markets.

#6 | Posted by bored at 2018-07-06 03:17 PM | Reply

"So why don't the producers cut back?"

It's easier said that done. Dairy Farmers, those who supply Dairy farmers with feed, trucking companies that haul milk, processors, etc...

could be 100,000 jobs.....I'm guessing but it's going to be painful.

#7 | Posted by eberly at 2018-07-06 03:24 PM | Reply

Cheese is slightly expensive, which I don't get. Is there some kind of cheese price support? Maybe Danforth knows. I'd ask him, but I'm pretty sure had a recent sword accident with Jesus, and is still in the hospital.

#8 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-07-06 04:15 PM | Reply

Too bad no one ever taught you how to use Google.

#9 | Posted by Danforth at 2018-07-06 04:21 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Helium only uses the Yandex search engine.

It's the only one he trusts.

#10 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-07-06 05:26 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#9 I'm glad you're better now, Danforth.

#11 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-07-06 05:47 PM | Reply

Thanks to government subsidies.

#12 | Posted by Sniper at 2018-07-06 07:22 PM | Reply

"I'm glad you're better now, Danforth."

I was never bad. Jesus showed up, and it turned out he was most upset by willful ignorance, so I sent him your way.

But since I've got your attention, are you going to address my recent concerns? 11 months after Charlottesville, you were still under the impression it was a meeting of some innocent youths for the express purpose of preserving monuments. Meanwhile, the videos of "Jews will not replace us" and "Blood and soil" have been playing on the, you know...fake news...ever since, but somehow the outlets you follow either weren't covering it, or were clearly lying to you about its nature.

What sources were those, that ignored the truth and fed you lies? Are you upset at them for lying to you, and expecting you to eat it up? And will you rely on those sources again in the future, or was this a wake-up call?

#13 | Posted by Danforth at 2018-07-06 09:35 PM | Reply

Sniper don't bother us with your economic ignorance get back to flipping those burgers.

#14 | Posted by Tor at 2018-07-07 01:40 PM | Reply

I remember hearing about this last year. It's kinda funny, because I really haven't noticed any drop in the price of cheese. I'd more more if it were cheaper, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

#15 | Posted by horstngraben at 2018-07-07 01:54 PM | Reply

#13 | Posted by Danforth

Occasionally, I do get things wrong. And when I do, I apologize for that. Now, as an economist, I am sure you have never had to face such an experience, but please don't step on us lower beings who have.

#16 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-07-07 04:50 PM | Reply

"Occasionally, I do get things wrong."

Occasionally, for eleven months straight, in countless threads.

#17 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-07-07 04:59 PM | Reply

#17 Do you still believe in Critical Theory?

#18 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-07-07 05:35 PM | Reply

Also, I still want to hear Danforth's opinion (as the worlds foremost expert) as to America's cheese problem. I mean, this could be big. Do you why one of our nations fist revolutionary flags had a pine tree on it? en.wikipedia.org

#19 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-07-07 05:39 PM | Reply

"Occasionally, I do get things wrong. And when I do, I apologize for that."

That has nothing to do with my questions. Would you please answer the questions I asked:

1. What sources were lying to you?
2. What's your reaction to those sources purposely trying to mislead you?
3. Are you going to trust those sources in the future?

#20 | Posted by Danforth at 2018-07-07 05:40 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Blessed are the cheesemakers

#21 | Posted by hamburglar at 2018-07-07 05:41 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

1. Politico and wikipedia. You can still read those original articles. Politico has the actual transcript of the press conference Trump made, and the wiki article was obviously written by Nazi's. So I don't understand how it hasn't been taken down. Maybe you should complain.
2. Shock and awe?
3. No. I once altered a wiki article about the cavalry revolver to say that it was a common term used for any revolver you could shoot your horse with. I should have learned my lesson right there, because it stayed up for four years.

#22 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-07-07 05:57 PM | Reply

"You can still read those original articles."

Links please.

#23 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-07-07 05:58 PM | Reply

So um, how about the cheese thing? I mean, what do you honestly think?

#24 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-07-07 06:08 PM | Reply

#23 | Posted by snoofy

Give me a brief book report on the pine-tree thing, and I'll give you some links. Fair enough?

#25 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-07-07 06:12 PM | Reply

Links or GTFO.

#26 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-07-07 06:20 PM | Reply

So I'm paying like $5 for a pound of muenster. I'm not sure why, but I have this sneaking feeling I'm being ripped off.

#27 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-07-07 06:24 PM | Reply

"Politico and wikipedia."

Horse manure. Those are not the only two places you get your information. What's your main source among the mainstream news outlets? Fox? CNN? MSNBC? ABC?

Or is it more like 4Chan, Breitbart, Info Wars, and Stormfront?

#28 | Posted by Danforth at 2018-07-07 07:08 PM | Reply

Jesus. H. Christ. I can't believe you. Look, I'll tell you about bo-news, my other blog, if you tell me why I'm paying too much for cheese. Deal, okay?

Christ on a stick.

#29 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-07-07 09:20 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Per the link ...

President Donald Trump's trade war with China and Mexico isn't helping the situation.

If the tariffs stay in place for more than six months, dairy farmers need to find new markets for cheese, and can expect milk prices to continue to fall ...

Trump's fromunda cheese campaign is doing allot of damage.

#30 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-07-07 09:54 PM | Reply

Hmm. In my opinion fromunda doesn't sound very marketable, no matter what kind of marketing miracle you try to pull. So that can't be the reason. I think we all just need to eat more cheese. That's probably the best solution. Here, watch the best official commercial ever made for cheese: www.youtube.com

#31 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-07-07 10:20 PM | Reply

The video is #31 is a public service brought to you by HeliumRat. You're welcome.

#32 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-07-07 10:40 PM | Reply

#14 | Posted by Tor

Another stupid reply from a lib.

#33 | Posted by Sniper at 2018-07-08 12:25 PM | Reply

This is still in the farm bill tor.

Date: January 05, 2009
USDA is an Eq

Dairy Product Price Support Program The Food, Conservation, and Energy Act of 2008 (2008 Farm Bill), title E for Dairy, directs the Secretary of Agriculture to support the price of cheddar cheese, butter and nonfat dry milk through the purchase of such products at the following rates:
Cheddar cheese blocks: $1.13 per pound
cheese: $1.10 pound
Butter: $1.05 per pound
Nonfat Dry Milk: $0.80 per pound
The 2008 Farm Bill authorizes the Secretary to purchase such dairy products made from milk produced in the United States during the period beginning on January 1, 2008, and ending December 31, 2012.

#34 | Posted by Sniper at 2018-07-08 12:37 PM | Reply

#27 | POSTED BY HELIUMRAT

Maybe because supply and demand is largely a theoretical construct that is imperfectly implemented in real life?

#35 | Posted by jpw at 2018-07-08 01:09 PM | Reply

Sounds like a lot of cheese will be going to waste. Cuz I don't see cheese prices dropping anywhere near where I live. Just piling up.

#36 | Posted by moder8 at 2018-07-08 01:52 PM | Reply

#35 | Posted by jpw

All that excess cheese is in government warehouses so you are right j.

#37 | Posted by Sniper at 2018-07-08 05:35 PM | Reply

Sounds like we would have been better off implementing something like Canada's supply management (which is NOT any subsidization) rather than bitching about it.

#38 | Posted by rosemountbomber at 2018-07-08 07:34 PM | Reply

This happens in all unregulated markets.

#6 | POSTED BY BORED AT 2018-07-06 03:17 PM |

It is further exacerbated by the fact that if any one producer cuts back but the rest do not they will end up out of business while the rest benefit from their demise. It is MAD only with cheese instead of Nuclear weapons. Neither side can unilaterally disarm without being conquered by the one that doesn't.

#39 | Posted by hatter5183 at 2018-07-08 10:30 PM | Reply

"Jesus. H. Christ. I can't believe you."

More to the point, you can't be believed. Politico has run stories on the chants; and Wiki is NOT your only source, so you're clearly lying. You've cited InfoWars recently, which I'm sure didn't cover the truth about Charlottesville. Who else was misleading you?

#40 | Posted by Danforth at 2018-07-09 07:59 AM | Reply

Trump's fromunda cheese campaign is doing allot of damage.

#30 | Posted by PinchALoaf

When was that price support passes pin? Do you have a clue?

#41 | Posted by Sniper at 2018-07-09 11:40 AM | Reply

All that excess cheese is in government warehouses so you are right j.

#37 | POSTED BY SNIPER

Government warehouses, huh?

Is that right next to the plastic coffins for mass killings of Americans when the gubmint declares marshal law and invades Texas?

#42 | Posted by jpw at 2018-07-09 11:49 AM | Reply

In between the obamaphones and the death panels.

#43 | Posted by hatter5183 at 2018-07-09 03:41 PM | Reply

And that's why Trump is stuck hiring the likes of DeVos, Scott Pruit and Huckatroll.

They're using all the top men to guard the warehouse of cheese!

#44 | Posted by jpw at 2018-07-10 01:46 AM | Reply