Wednesday, July 04, 2018

We've all had that unpleasant experience of not being invited to a party. For most of us it was likely in elementary school when you ached because you didn't get to jump in a birthday bounce house. In an opinion column for The Hill, Alan Dershowitz complained that many of his Martha's Vineyard friends are no longer inviting him to parties due to his defense of Trump. "But one good thing is that being shunned by some "old friends" on Martha's Vineyard has taught me who my real friends are and who my fairweather friends were," Dershowitz wrote. "From a personal point of view, I could not care less about being shunned by people whose views regarding dialogue I do not respect." Dershowitz also provides historical reference for his lack of party invitations. "This is all familiar to me, since I lived through McCarthyism in the 1950s, when lawyers who represented alleged communists on civil libertarian grounds were shunned. Some of these lawyers and victims of McCarthyism lived on Martha's Vineyard,"he wrote "I never thought I would see McCarthyism come to Martha's Vineyard, but I have."

Comments

It may be rude, but it isn't McCarthyism. It does make me wonder what I would do if a friend joined the Nazis Party. Do you stand by him as a "real friend" or stay the hell away from him in the same way one prudently deals with canabals?

#1 | Posted by Zed at 2018-07-04 07:59 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

A snob arguing with snobs, who cares.

#2 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-07-04 08:10 AM | Reply

Lots of fancy terms for the simple situation of people not wanting to idly chat with a jerk.

This isn't his place in history. He's just an ----- and people don't have time for that.

#3 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-07-04 08:17 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

The is typical of the intolerant left; the new McCarthyites. I've read dozens of stories like this over the last year.

#4 | Posted by nullifidian at 2018-07-04 08:22 AM | Reply | Funny: 2

Such a shame, being judged by the content of your character. And on Martha's Vineyard no less! The poor soul...

#5 | Posted by JOE at 2018-07-04 08:30 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 6

#4 - I wish I could flag Dershowitz as funny, but I'll settle for flagging Nullifidian. As if Dershowitz hadn't already made himself an attention seeking d-bag along the lines of Coulter, now he whines about the results.

HINT, Alan: Go find new "friends." Stop whining.

#6 | Posted by YAV at 2018-07-04 08:32 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

--being judged by the content of your character.

#7 | Posted by nullifidian at 2018-07-04 08:36 AM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

#7 Being an obfuscatory mouthpiece for a serial lying, sexually assaulting, wannabe fascist dictator is a matter of character, whether you like it or not.

#8 | Posted by JOE at 2018-07-04 08:42 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 6

...differences in political philosophy with character.
#7 | POSTED BY NULLIFIDIAN

I'd like to hear the difference. As far as I'm concerned, your character is what molds your political philosophy.

#9 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2018-07-04 08:50 AM | Reply

At lease Dershowitz is consistent in the types of people he defends. First O.J., then Bill Clinton, and now Trump.

#10 | Posted by sentinel at 2018-07-04 08:51 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

All those intolerant Jews who just didn't realize that they needed to respect the Nazis political philosophy.

#11 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2018-07-04 08:51 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

No need to wonder. Your behavior on here makes it clear you would shun him while screaming at him from a distance how terrible a person he was. Instead of bringing him back to the light your behavior would make him more confident in his decision and further entrench him in the ideology of hate.

Hatred begets hatred and based on all I have seen of you in here that is all you know.

#12 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2018-07-04 08:51 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

#10 | POSTED BY SENTINEL

Wow, did you ever read my mind on this topic.

#13 | Posted by kudzu at 2018-07-04 08:56 AM | Reply

---As far as I'm concerned, your character is what molds your political philosophy.

By your logic, one can't be a decent, honest, honorable person unless one agrees with your political ideology. That's what I detest most about the current crop of progressives; the more-moral-than-thou pose. Agree with me or you're a deplorable sub-human.

#14 | Posted by nullifidian at 2018-07-04 09:10 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#12 | Posted by TaoWarrior at

Happy Fourth of July.

#15 | Posted by Zed at 2018-07-04 09:19 AM | Reply

#14 Translation: Let me support my racist, serial lying, sexually assaulting cryptonazi in peace.

No thanks

#16 | Posted by JOE at 2018-07-04 09:21 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Agree with me or you're a deplorable sub-human.

#14 | Posted by nullifidian at 2018-07-04 09:10 AM | Reply

#17 | Posted by Zed at 2018-07-04 09:21 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Your behavior on here makes it clear you would shun him while screaming at him from a distance how terrible a person he was".

If I screamed at him, which I wouldn't, it wouldn't be from a distance.

Some people do bad things because they are confused; "lost". Other people do bad things because they've chosen sides.

Ted Bundy was many things, but never confused.

#18 | Posted by Zed at 2018-07-04 09:25 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I've faced this conundrum in real life. I had a family member who was an authentic psychopath. Everyone wanted to "bring him into the light". It was just that the attempt meant risking the safety of one's family, as understood from experience.

I guess my position on Trumpism is that it's worth being angry about it. Anger serves a good purpose at times. I also guess that I'll be angry about it for as long as I'm allowed to. Because if Donald Trump gets enough power he won't permit anything of the kind.

#19 | Posted by Zed at 2018-07-04 09:30 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

--You're a violent man, in your peculiar way. You're a treacherous man for rationalizing it.

Smug people like who reek of moral certitude are dangerous to democracy and civil society. Had you been born in a different time or place, you would have happily burned people at the stake for not accepting your God. You would have killed millions to create a communist utopia.

"...the worst are full of passionate intensity."

#20 | Posted by nullifidian at 2018-07-04 09:40 AM | Reply

Ever notice how Dulli avoids discussing anything on the merits and instead just constantly retreats to empty platitudes?

Why do you even bother posting here, old man?

#21 | Posted by JOE at 2018-07-04 09:42 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

Last time I checked Dershowitz was a Fox News tool. His opinions are just paid for propaganda.
Waters, on the other hand, was the only member of Congress to object to the appointment of George W. Buah as president by the conservatives on the SC who ignored the vote, stopped the recount and just put in power their favorite candidate who then later caused the deaths of 1,000,000 people in Iraq. I don't have the slightest bit of respect for anyone who supported Bush or Trump. Y'all don't respect democracy so I don't respect you.

#22 | Posted by danni at 2018-07-04 09:44 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

Many People who live at Martha's Vineyard probably think they are better than others.......because they live at Martha's Vineyard. No shocker there.

Poor Alan will get over it.

Poor Zed will get over it. Zed has talked the same during 2000-2008 and he really talked like this when Romney was running.

Others here as well have zero tolerance for a different ideology than their own.

#23 | Posted by eberly at 2018-07-04 09:44 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

John Harwood @JohnJHarwood

Harvard's Alan Dershowitz says defending Trump has made him a discrimination victim: "I have experienced this firsthand on Martha's Vineyard. Old friends are shunning me and trying to ban me from their social life."

Tom Nichols @RadioFreeTom

Tom Nichols Retweeted John Harwood

Dearest Eliza:

Summering here on the Vineyard when word of the Late Unpleasantness came to us. I am now detained by the constable and denied entry to the Atria for brunch. I also am disinvited to watch "I, Claudius" this evening. I shall carry on.

Alan
#secondcivilwarletters

#24 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-07-04 09:46 AM | Reply | Funny: 4

Chalking current anti-Trump sentiment up to mere right-left squabbling is a serious error. If you don't understand what makes this different, that's surprising.

#25 | Posted by JOE at 2018-07-04 09:50 AM | Reply

Ever notice how Joe's team has no argument other than "you're a Nazi!"?

#26 | Posted by nullifidian at 2018-07-04 09:52 AM | Reply

Tom Nichols @RadioFreeTom

Tom Nichols Retweeted Alan Dershowitz

Respecting your professional abilities doesn't mean they have to keep liking you once you've decided to throw your reputation away in your twilight years.

Your positions are quite popular, just not among the people you want to hang out with on the Vineyard. Next year, vacation in Indiana.

#27 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-07-04 09:52 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 7

You see it as simple and therefore meaningless differences in ideology,EBERLY.

What has always impressed me is what W., Mitt, and Donald have in common.

There's no rocket science to it. You just have to pay some minimal amount of serious attention.

#28 | Posted by Zed at 2018-07-04 09:54 AM | Reply

I didn't mention Trump. I said "ideology".

I know it's easy to hide behind Trump but this ugliness has existed from the exact same people since this place was born.

Trump's an excuse but he's not the cause for this rabid intolerance.

#29 | Posted by eberly at 2018-07-04 09:54 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

I didn't say nor imply "meaningless" zed.

Try again

#30 | Posted by eberly at 2018-07-04 09:55 AM | Reply

#26 I didn't call you a Nazi, I called Trump a cryptonazi, of which the prefix is becoming less and less necessary. I also called him a racist, serial liar and sexual assaulter. The fact that you can't deny any of these characterizations goes directly to Dershowitz's paid obfuscation on Trump's behalf being a matter of character.

#31 | Posted by JOE at 2018-07-04 09:56 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

If you support taking nursing babies from their mother's breasts you may be a Nazis.

#32 | Posted by Zed at 2018-07-04 09:56 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 5

"Next year, vacation in Indiana."

Nice.

#33 | Posted by eberly at 2018-07-04 09:56 AM | Reply

Yes, TAO. I'm still angry about those kids. Like I said, happy 4th.

#34 | Posted by Zed at 2018-07-04 09:58 AM | Reply

Why does it have to be McCarthyism? Why can't it be that they're just not that into him anymore? Maybe they never really were and just tolerated him before?

#35 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-07-04 09:58 AM | Reply

Why don't you try again? What major traits do Mitt, W., And Donald have in common?

#36 | Posted by Zed at 2018-07-04 09:59 AM | Reply

--I also called him a racist, serial liar and sexual assaulter.

Did you call Bill Clinton that?

#37 | Posted by nullifidian at 2018-07-04 10:00 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Why does it have to be McCarthyism?

Because Dershowitz is being paid to whip people like Dulli into a froth, and he's earning every penny.

#38 | Posted by JOE at 2018-07-04 10:02 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"I also called him a racist, serial liar and sexual assaulter. "

I agree with all of that. Always have. I voted for Hillary and said from the beginning of Trumps campaign there was no way I would vote for that clown.

But none of that matters to a rabid partisan. It's not about Trump. It's about ideology that differs from their own.

#39 | Posted by eberly at 2018-07-04 10:03 AM | Reply | Funny: 2

#37 Why do you care what I said about a politician two+ decades ago, when I was a minor? Are you that desperate to avoid the merits of this conversation? Don't bother answering that.

#40 | Posted by JOE at 2018-07-04 10:04 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

I'd call him that if it helped defeat President Stillson.

#41 | Posted by Zed at 2018-07-04 10:04 AM | Reply

Good Zed, being angry about our treatment of immigrants is something worthy of being angry about.

Lashing out at anyone who doesn't march in lockstep on every issue is not worthy, and you do it all the freaking time. As soon as someone disagrees with you they must be a Trump/W/Romney supporter and therefore are evil. I think I told you years ago to smoke a joint and get over yourself. Holds true today.

#42 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2018-07-04 10:04 AM | Reply

If you have any relatives who are rabid Trump supporters, you might know what it means to love someone but not like them (anymore). When it comes to friendship, most people love their closest friends and only like the rest. Once the liking is gone, the bond of friendship is broken. Most people don't enjoy inviting people they don't like to their picnics and barbeques. That doesn't make it McCarthyism not to invite someone over for a cookout.

#43 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-07-04 10:04 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 6

none of that matters to a rabid partisan

#44 | Posted by JOE at 2018-07-04 10:05 AM | Reply

#24 | POSTED BY GAL_TUESDAY

Awesomely funny!

HahahaHahaha

#45 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-07-04 10:05 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

It's about Trump and the people who enable him, which does amount to a very common sort of ideology, although never powerful in this country until now.

#46 | Posted by Zed at 2018-07-04 10:06 AM | Reply

Have a nice 4th, Zed.

#47 | Posted by eberly at 2018-07-04 10:06 AM | Reply

"Why does it have to be McCarthyism?"

Ah, got it. Yes, even this complaint by Dershowitz is part of the political sh#tshow and not a real issue.

#48 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-07-04 10:07 AM | Reply

Marijuana would make less productive.

#49 | Posted by Zed at 2018-07-04 10:07 AM | Reply

"For those who weren't rabid partisans prior to the rise of Trump, it absolutely does."

You don't know anybody like that.

Every rabid partisan here today was one long before trump.

#50 | Posted by eberly at 2018-07-04 10:08 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

You, too, my friend.

#51 | Posted by Zed at 2018-07-04 10:08 AM | Reply

Marijuana would make ZED less productive.

#52 | Posted by Zed at 2018-07-04 10:09 AM | Reply

You don't know anybody like that.

Nice self-serving assumption. You're wrong, btw.

#53 | Posted by JOE at 2018-07-04 10:10 AM | Reply

"Yes, even this complaint by Dershowitz is part of the political sh#tshow and not a real issue."

Of course it's not a real issue. How many Fox News viewers give 2 ----- about the social circles at Martha's Vineyard? And I'm sure Alan knows that.

#54 | Posted by eberly at 2018-07-04 10:12 AM | Reply

There are zero people here like that.

#55 | Posted by eberly at 2018-07-04 10:13 AM | Reply

"I Claudius" is awesome. The Foufers knew their Roman history. Too bad so few of us do.

#56 | Posted by Zed at 2018-07-04 10:14 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I didnt realize we were confining our discussion to retort posters.

#57 | Posted by JOE at 2018-07-04 10:15 AM | Reply

The Retort is a dysfunctional family with all that implies.

#58 | Posted by Zed at 2018-07-04 10:19 AM | Reply

You're missing my point. It's not about Trump.

People intolerant of others were that way before trump.

And they'll be that way after. Even if we elect FDR, JFK, Bill And Hillary to federal office.

The intolerant folks will remain along with their intolerant attitude

Have a nice fourth. Off to a parade

#59 | Posted by eberly at 2018-07-04 10:21 AM | Reply

I didn't miss your "point," it's just irrelevant. Trump has created more rabid partisans, so this isn't just about the ones who existed before and are playing their usual games.

#60 | Posted by JOE at 2018-07-04 10:25 AM | Reply

Every rabid partisan here today was one long before trump.

#50 | POSTED BY EBERLY

Not necessarily.

Not everyone is chained to the two major parties, let alone any specific ideology.

Your logic is as rigid as the people you're calling "partisan".

#61 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-07-04 10:25 AM | Reply

Dershowitz is off the mark. Nearly all on the far left - Democrats, liberals, antifas and anyone who has not condemned recent rhetoric - do want to see the mob politics espoused by Auntie Max and her ilk. That polite discourse is not tolerated any more is on the left. Welcome to the world of trigger warnings Alan; yup, even in Martha's Vineyard.

If the right responds in kind - go low/er - I can already hear the palpable outrage from the MSM. Bricks through windows already supports the rallying cry of the left's abolish ICE crowd. I don't see an escalation coming from the right, other than showing up to vote. What's your message tick tock.

But run with it. Have fun. See how it plays countrywide.

#62 | Posted by Nuke_Gently at 2018-07-04 10:36 AM | Reply

I don't see an escalation coming from the right, other than showing up to vote.

You mean other than actually electing a cryptonazi, holding white supremacy rallies and beating protestors in Portland with flagpoles?

Jesus christ, how ------- dense could you possibly be?

#63 | Posted by JOE at 2018-07-04 10:44 AM | Reply

"I don't see an escalation coming from the right, other than showing up to vote"

Detention camps for undesirable children taken from their undesirable parents.

#64 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-07-04 11:05 AM | Reply

"I called Trump a cryptonazi,"

This sounds a lot like calling the previous president a secretmuslim.

#65 | Posted by sentinel at 2018-07-04 11:20 AM | Reply

#65 except in this case it's undeniably true.

#66 | Posted by joe at 2018-07-04 11:21 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

Trump's an excuse but he's not the cause for this rabid intolerance.
#29 | POSTED BY EBERLY AT 2018-07-04 09:54 AM | REPLY | FLAG:

He's certainly a massive contributor.

#67 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-07-04 11:23 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Trump's an excuse but he's not the cause for this rabid intolerance.
#29 | POSTED BY EBERLY AT 2018-07-04 09:54 AM | REPLY | FLAG:

I should ask. Do you think the rabid intolerance is a good thing, or a bad thing?

#68 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-07-04 11:24 AM | Reply

"Trump's an excuse but he's not the cause for this rabid intolerance."

Who's the cause of separating families at the border? Sessions? Obama?

Does the buck stop anywhere, Eberly?

You sure are good at passing it.

#69 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-07-04 11:26 AM | Reply

"This sounds a lot like calling the previous president a secretmuslim.
#65 | POSTED BY SENTINEL"

Does it, swastika rehabilitationist?

#70 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-07-04 11:31 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I don't see an escalation coming from the right

#62 | Posted by Nuke_Gently at 2018

You missed the death threats against those four surviving reporters in Maryland.

#71 | Posted by Zed at 2018-07-04 11:33 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#66, it's undeniably true that you have a lot in common with those who believed absolutely that Obama was a secret muslim kenyan homosexual.

#72 | Posted by sentinel at 2018-07-04 11:37 AM | Reply

There's really nothing in common with the two allegations, but if you want to live in fantasyland don't let me stop you. Enjoy your day :0)

#73 | Posted by JOE at 2018-07-04 11:43 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"it's undeniably true that you have a lot in common with those who believed absolutely that Obama was a secret muslim kenyan homosexual."

Such as?

#74 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-07-04 12:05 PM | Reply

"Trump has created more rabid partisans,"

He just made it easier for them to come out of the woodwork and be more in the open.

Rough bunch...all of them.

#75 | Posted by eberly at 2018-07-04 12:29 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Intolerance of political ideology? Usually bad.

It reveals a weakness in one's self to be so intolerant.

#76 | Posted by eberly at 2018-07-04 12:33 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"Trump has created more rabid partisans,"

100% Total baloney. Trump created ZERO rabid partisans. Just like he created ZERO racists."

Who creates racists then, Eberly?

Or are they just born that way, like the blacks and the gays?

#77 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-07-04 12:35 PM | Reply

It reveals a weakness in one's self to be so intolerant.

Except when the thing not tolerated is... intolerance itself.

It is a weakness to tolerate intolerance.

#78 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-07-04 12:40 PM | Reply

Ever notice how Joe's team has no argument other than "you're a Nazi!"?

#26 | POSTED BY comrade NULLIFIDIAN

The truth hurts. If you don't like being called a NAZI...... then stop being one, stop supporting Republican/Nazi policies, stop supporting the Republican/Nazi politicians.

I don't know why you alt-right morons cannot figure this out? It's either your sheer stupidity or willful ignorance.

#79 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2018-07-04 12:51 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#79 - instead they whine "You're just so intolerant!"

As if there is something noble in tolerating xenophobes, neo-nazis, racists, and supremacists.

#80 | Posted by YAV at 2018-07-04 12:55 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

--Except when the thing not tolerated is... intolerance itself.

Who gets to decide what is intolerant speech? You? No thanks.

#81 | Posted by nullifidian at 2018-07-04 12:59 PM | Reply

Intolerance is being confused with common sense.

#82 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-07-04 01:01 PM | Reply

"Who gets to decide what is intolerant speech?"

This is Nulli's way of saying there is no honest broker of what's intolerant and what's not.

This is like putting Neil Armstrong on a panel with someone who claims the moon landings were faked, and pretending you're just being Fair and Balanced.

Nulli, I have a question. Is "Jews will not replace us" intolerant speech?

#83 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-07-04 01:07 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"I'd rather err on the side of maximum speech than leave it up to the thought-police."

Funny. You don't support copyright laws then? No, you're just spouting hollow words.

#84 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-07-04 01:10 PM | Reply

"It reveals a weakness in one's self to be so intolerant."

Some folks in this thread say it's weakness to let Muslims into the country, and Trump was right to ban them.

Are those the people you're talking about, Eberly?

#85 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-07-04 01:14 PM | Reply

Alan, your real friends ARE the ones not talking to you anymore. You're even worse than you were before.

#86 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2018-07-04 01:31 PM | Reply

#72 | POSTED BY SENTINEL AT 2018-07-04 11:37 AM | FLAG:

Speaking of someone with no friends...

#87 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2018-07-04 01:33 PM | Reply

#14 | POSTED BY NULLIFIDIAN

On certain subjects, yes.
Now if you want to argue whether a flat tax or a graduated income tax is best, or what the basic requirements of the drinking age should be, I feel no disdain. If you want to argue whether we should put kids in camps and call them "donkey" or if gays should have fewer rights than others, then yes, your political philosophy should not exist.

#88 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2018-07-04 01:43 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"So I'm going write an article about it and cry about how mean people are to me. Wahhhhhh..."

Oh yea. He absolutely couldn't care less.

Trumpublicans are full of contradictions.

#89 | Posted by ClownShack at 2018-07-04 01:55 PM | Reply

Nobody said you shouldnt be able to speak. We're just free to judge you for what you say and defend.

#90 | Posted by JOE at 2018-07-04 02:30 PM | Reply

A passionate dialog is very American. It's indicative of a healthy society. This is the proper reaction to Nazis and State Sponsored child abduction.

#91 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-07-04 02:43 PM | Reply

Yawn.

#92 | Posted by jpw at 2018-07-04 04:01 PM | Reply

#7 | POSTED BY NULLIFIDIAN

Another inane flop of a post from a sel-righteous tool bag that overestimates their intelligence.

And yes, supporting Trump does say something about ones character.

#93 | Posted by jpw at 2018-07-04 04:03 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The Martha's Vineyard crowd strikes back at Alan Dershowitz
www.bostonglobe.com

For years, former Harvard Law professor Alan Dershowitz and some of his high-profile pals have spent summer afternoons opining on the porch at the Chilmark General Store on Martha's Vineyard.

Not this summer, and maybe never again. As a result of Dershowitz's vocal opposition to the appointment of a special counsel to investigate President Trump's ties to Russia, the coffee klatch has turned combative.

In recent days, the clique has been exchanging bitter e-mails that lay bare the anger over Dershowitz's seeming support for the president...

Since July 4th is the traditional start of the summer party season on Martha's Vineyard, there will be ample opportunities for the two sides to see each other.

Indeed, reached Tuesday night, Dershowitz was on his way to the annual soiree hosted by designer Kenneth Cole and his wife, Maria Cuomo.

These snobs are hilarious ... I hope they vomit their lobster bisque, scones and crumpets allover each other.

And Dershowitz is all about being a self-serving, attention seeking douche-bag.

#94 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-07-04 04:18 PM | Reply

"Another self-righteous leftist that mistakes differences in political philosophy with character."

Fill me in on the details of the "political philosophy" that supports taking babes in arms from their mothers and placing them in camps.

#95 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-07-04 04:19 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

--Another inane flop of a post

*yawn*

#96 | Posted by nullifidian at 2018-07-04 04:24 PM | Reply

Trump is a stain that will be difficult to remove.

His Base should bear that in mind?

For their futures.

#97 | Posted by getoffmedz at 2018-07-04 05:14 PM | Reply

Tom Nichols Retweeted John Harwood

Dearest Eliza:

Alan
#secondcivilwarletters

This still breaks me up ...

"the Late Unpleasantness"

lol

#98 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-07-04 06:16 PM | Reply

Jill Jacobs

✔@rabbijilljacobs

Extremists on the right rip babies from their parents, incite against minorities, try to defund healthcare. Extremists on the left....don't invite Dershowitz to their 4th of July cookout on the Vineyard.

Rabbi Latz @ RavMABAY

#Thoughtsandprayers

------------

Wow, these Jewish rabbis are bareknuckles vicious!

#99 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-07-04 06:46 PM | Reply

#98 Really? I can't distinguish real life from satire any more.

#100 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-07-04 07:48 PM | Reply

I can't distinguish real life from satire any more.

#100 | POSTED BY BRUCEBANNER

I've watched the Ken Burns 'Civil War' documentary numerous times, and reading that with the voice-actors rattling around in my head slays.

I admit that I amuse easily.

#101 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-07-04 08:06 PM | Reply

I hate watching Nulli take a beating like this. It's like watching OJ trying to put on that glove and saying it doesn't fit... or denying he ever wore "those ugly ass shoes".

#102 | Posted by Corky at 2018-07-04 08:15 PM | Reply

"It's like watching OJ trying to put on that glove..."

Most telling is when he takes them off.

a) he could barely wait to get the gloves off, snatching them off VERY quickly
b) tight gloves DO NOT come off easily or quickly; these did.

Prove it to yourself: put on a pair of too-small leather gloves, and then try to take them off quickly.

#103 | Posted by Danforth at 2018-07-04 09:22 PM | Reply

Especially latex against leather.

#104 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-07-04 09:31 PM | Reply

#104 - oh baby,

#105 | Posted by YAV at 2018-07-05 08:30 AM | Reply

Alan Dershowitz Is Just the Latest Public Figure Who Forgot What Shame Feels Like

Just like Sarah Huckabee Sanders he can only process it as oppression.

www.esquire.com

#106 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-07-05 01:42 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"The is typical of the intolerant left"

people stopped inviting Null to their parties because he sucks, nothing to do with his politics.

#107 | Posted by klifferd at 2018-07-05 02:27 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

Great line, Gal
"Thinks the shame he's feeling is oppression."

#108 | Posted by YAV at 2018-07-05 02:35 PM | Reply

Not being able to have a discourse because one has pre-judged the outcome with no chance of a give and take of viewpoints is suppression of speech. Harassing, shouting down, making people unwelcome simply because you disagree on some political issues is not civil society. Just because someone believes that a sit down with Kim seems to be working out doesn't make them a Nazi. Constant negative behavior towards people with differing views is kinda like, well, what the Nazis did.

Ironically if just a couple of percent of the protesters open their homes to foster a child, the border abductees could be out of inhumane conditions. Then maybe we could shift some focus to the 3 million or so US citizen children who are separated from their parents because one or another those parents are in US prisons for crimes (other than for illegally entering the United States at other than a designated port of entry).

#109 | Posted by Nuke_Gently at 2018-07-05 08:00 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

nuke-

separating families forever over a misdemeanor is the uncivil part.
Not wanting to have anything to do with people who

a) separate children from their families for a misdemeanor
or
b) associate deflect or apologize for people who separate children from their families for a misdemeanor

It is normal, human, moral behavior to be "rude" "uncivil" or avoid being around such horrible people.

You sound out of touch, like a beltway pundit.

#110 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2018-07-05 08:18 PM | Reply

Sit down with Kim. Just don't give away stuff to the bastard.

#111 | Posted by Zed at 2018-07-05 08:20 PM | Reply

There are a lot of people motivated to ignore the child stealing aspect of this

The people who do this or approve it are Nazis. Once Trump tells them they are they'll weather t-shirts with rehabilitated swastikas.

#112 | Posted by Zed at 2018-07-05 08:24 PM | Reply

I'd like to add that it's not prejudice. Ive been watching trump for decades, and using child abuse as a deterrent to immigration is repugnant. That's not prejudice (pre-judging) either...that's straight up JUDGING, which i would encourage anyone with any moral compass to do.

Call this out for the horror it is. Practice your arguments here and then try it on family members. Give money to the aclu. Adopt one of the kids. Do something, because we are the last line of defense.

#113 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2018-07-05 08:34 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Nobody is speaking out for family separation, which makes it a non issue. Trump already abolished the practice by executive order. Does believing Trump made the right move making that executive order make a person a Nazi?

Sadly the ACLU will now be looking to the content of speech before deciding if they will intercede on behalf of a 1st Amendment litigant. See e.g. www.powerlineblog.com

I do not have the personal resources or wholesome environment to house an abducted child. I believe a donation to Catholic Charities would be more on point.

#114 | Posted by Nuke_Gently at 2018-07-05 09:28 PM | Reply

"Ironically if just a couple of percent of the protesters open their homes to foster a child, the border abductees could be out of inhumane conditions."

What?

You're straight up advocating kidnapping.

#115 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-07-05 09:29 PM | Reply

" which makes it a non issue."

Wrong. It was done and cannot be undone for most of those kids.

Trumps eo does nothing to fix the problem, either.

Your sad attempts at "neutrality" are noted, moral eunuch.

#116 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2018-07-05 09:32 PM | Reply

We must take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel

#117 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2018-07-05 09:35 PM | Reply

All those Martha Vineyards residents are so stuck up they won't talk to Dershowitz, one of the worst apologists for the terrorist State of Israel. Such drama, as if not being invited to a party can be compared to prison or being shot in the back.

#118 | Posted by bayviking at 2018-07-05 09:36 PM | Reply

You can't adopt someone who is being held indefinitely by DHS pending deportation proceedings. Nice try though.

#119 | Posted by JOE at 2018-07-05 09:43 PM | Reply

you can't even drop off toys to these kids:

solidaridadconlosninos.com

#120 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2018-07-05 09:44 PM | Reply

What's wrong with coming to the port of entry? Or finding a company that will handle work visas (I hear Trump properties sponsors hundreds of these)?

I get that the parent that put their child at risk is to be held blameless in all this, although in the US you'd probably have CPS on your butt if you were marching your children through the desert without sufficient resources.

#121 | Posted by Nuke_Gently at 2018-07-05 09:45 PM | Reply

"which makes it a non issue."

Wrong. It was done and cannot be undone for most of those kids.

^
This. This all day.

#122 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-07-05 09:45 PM | Reply

"What's wrong with coming to the port of entry?"

What's wrong with taking kids from their parents and putting them in camps with no plans to reunite them?

#123 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-07-05 09:46 PM | Reply

"What's wrong with coming to the port of entry?"

Some of them did. They were still detained.

You are woefully uninformed.

#124 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2018-07-05 09:46 PM | Reply

"I do not have the personal resources or wholesome environment to house an abducted child."

Neither does the Border Patrol.

#125 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-07-05 09:48 PM | Reply

The really sick part of all of this is that WE have created the conditions these people are fleeing from with our ridiculous drug war. How do you think cartels and druglords got so powerful?

I fear not only for the soulof this country, but for it's very existence. The rest of the world is frankly getting tired of our --------.

#126 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2018-07-05 09:49 PM | Reply

Well I guess you guys are aligned in thinking laws have no consequences.

Abolish ICE!

#127 | Posted by Nuke_Gently at 2018-07-05 09:59 PM | Reply

What's wrong with coming to the port of entry?

Apart from the fact that some of these people did, you're moving the goalposts. You first said that people who claim to care about these kids should adopt them. I pointed out that's impossible, so now you're barfing out some other ill-informed nonsense.
Just go away.

#128 | Posted by JOE at 2018-07-05 10:00 PM | Reply

"Well I guess you guys are aligned in thinking laws have no consequences."

We're aligned in thinking taking children from their mothers is wrong.
Do you mind explaining why you don't see it that way?

#129 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-07-05 10:01 PM | Reply

"Well I guess you guys are aligned in thinking laws have no consequences. "

Crossing the border illegally is a misdemeanor, you soulless ----.

#130 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2018-07-05 10:02 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I'm willing to bet you have worse than a misdemeanor on your record, nuke. Call it intuition.

#131 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2018-07-05 10:05 PM | Reply

"Crossing the border illegally is a misdemeanor"

It's important to understand that he -- and all the other defenders and deflectors from Trump's policy -- are fundamentally okay with that.

#132 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-07-05 10:08 PM | Reply

"Nuke Gently would also be okay with taking kids and putting them in camps over a misdemeanor traffic ticket or jaywalking charge.

#132 | POSTED BY SNOOFY AT 2018-07-05 10:08 PM | REPLY"

Only non-whites. Bank on that.

#133 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2018-07-05 10:12 PM | Reply

Thankfully nothing worse than a misdemeanor for me. I'd call that a typical personal attack from someone feeling it all slip away. Do I remember seeing some of you touting the 2018 blue wave back when it seemed possible? Oh man November 7 is gonna suck for you.

First offense is a misdemeanor; second or subsequent is a felony.

DHS is saying that separations are not happening at ports of entry except under limited circumstances. From the LA Times: "The sheet says DHS will separate (at port of entry) in three circumstances: 1) when DHS is unable to determine the familial relationship, 2) when DHS determines that a child may be at risk with the parent or legal guardian, or 3) when the parent or legal guardian is referred for criminal prosecution."

#134 | Posted by Nuke_Gently at 2018-07-05 10:17 PM | Reply

"Well I guess you guys are aligned in thinking laws have no consequences."

Throw in a good ol' false dichotomy.

You're exactly how evil gets a foothold. You and people just like you.

#135 | Posted by YAV at 2018-07-05 10:17 PM | Reply

"Thankfully nothing worse than a misdemeanor for me. "

I'm guessing you got caught with more than a misdemeanors worth of pot and your lawyer got you HYTA.

I'm betting that goes for a lot of rich republicans.

#136 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2018-07-05 10:22 PM | Reply

I am not in favor of separation. I'm also not in favor of catch and release. I am also in favor of following laws, including against harassment and in support of free speech. We are a country of laws after all.

Do you feel it? The looming unstoppable 2nd SCOTUS pick for Trump. Unhinged leaders and MSM pushing people towards Trump with every screeching chicken little moment. The death march to the elections to when the Democrats became irrelevant. Buckle up buckaroos.

#137 | Posted by Nuke_Gently at 2018-07-05 10:24 PM | Reply

Judy Woodruff @JudyWoodruff

14 month old boy separated from immigrant parents at the border, was returned after 85 days, covered with lice, had apparently not been bathed - part of lawsuits filed by states against Trump administration @LisaDNews reports @NewsHour tonight
3:23 PM - 5 Jul 2018

#138 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-07-05 10:26 PM | Reply

Only Nazis make ad hominem attacks

#139 | Posted by Nuke_Gently at 2018-07-05 10:26 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

only an evil over privileged moron would cheer our two party system being ruled by one party, especially with trump at the head if it.

#140 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2018-07-05 10:26 PM | Reply

"I am not in favor of separation."

Then what's this mean: "Well I guess you guys are aligned in thinking laws have no consequences."

Explain yourself.

#141 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-07-05 10:27 PM | Reply

Only Nazis make ad hominem attacks

#139 | POSTED BY NUKE_GENTLY AT 2018-07-05 10:26 PM | FLAG:

That was an ad hominem. lol

#142 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2018-07-05 10:27 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Only Nazis make ad hominem attacks

Sure, Nuke. Sure. Only Nazis.

See what you did there? LOL!

I guess you just outted yourself as a Nazi.

#143 | Posted by YAV at 2018-07-05 10:29 PM | Reply

No that was argumentum ad Hitlorem. Try to keep up.

#144 | Posted by Nuke_Gently at 2018-07-05 10:32 PM | Reply

nuke gently is NOT a nazi.

Nazis have convictions. they're sick and wrong, but they have them. Nuke is flaccid and wimpy.

#145 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2018-07-05 10:33 PM | Reply

Nazis explained themselves.

#146 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-07-05 10:38 PM | Reply

And sure they are both logical fallacies. But I'm getting nothing new real argument wise. It has also been stated as I'm rubber you're glue, what bounces off me sticks to you.

And by definition in the thread and in the MSM I would be considered a Nazi for not denouncing everything Trump does. I'll give you another one - I was in favor of the tax cut and appreciate the 100s of billions of dollars already repatriated.

#147 | Posted by Nuke_Gently at 2018-07-05 10:39 PM | Reply

Hey, don't blame us because your morally bereft argument sucks.

#148 | Posted by YAV at 2018-07-05 10:42 PM | Reply

"But I'm getting nothing new real argument wise. "

Then you're not paying attention. Joe alone ripped you to pieces, rather succinctly.

#149 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2018-07-05 10:53 PM | Reply

> ctrl+f "nazi"
> 28 matches out of 149 comments right now
> the absolute state of the left

I, for one, welcome this kind of rhetoric. The left is exhausted of ideas so all they can do is screech autistically about "muh gnatzees". No ideas? No problem! Simply import people en masse from third-world --------- who reliably vote for ever more freebies promised, as always, by the bleeding hearts. Keep it up and the blue wave is sure to take place!

#150 | Posted by drpierce at 2018-07-06 01:34 AM | Reply

I think Joe came nowhere near. I think a couple percent of you highly evolved geniuses who want to moan and resist could foster. And if not, then you are, as a group, penniless losers. There is no reason to listen to folks who can't get their own houses in order.

Come into the country obeying the law and you'll be fine. Enhancing border security will make it easier for folks to make that choice. Strong fences make good neighbors.

Keep up with carrying out auntie max's will and most of all keep up the drum beat for abolish ICE. The far left will rot out the planks of the Democrat party, but a split vote ain't a bad thing if you're rooting for any other side. The two party system needed a reset anyway.

Is everyone excited for POTUS / SCOTUS dos?

PS. Made my donation to Catholic Charities. With all the demonization of religion, groups like that are well placed to help with situations like this.

#151 | Posted by Nuke_Gently at 2018-07-06 05:18 AM | Reply

The blue wave is coming! Resist!!

#152 | Posted by Nuke_Gently at 2018-07-06 05:25 AM | Reply

we cant foster kids stuck in detention facilities indefinitely. this has been pointed out to you directly.

You're an apologist for evil. all you care about is trump "winning" to stick it to libs.

#153 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2018-07-06 06:39 AM | Reply

The blue wave is coming! Resist!!

#152 | Posted by Nuke_Gently at

It's the good fight to resist the nihilistically corrupt and yes, the Nazis.

It's 3,000 kids missing now, with fully one hundred aged five or below. It's obvious to any honest person that there was never a plan to get them back with parents. That's what it means to be a child stealer, to keep the kids.

Donald Trump is the worst man we've ever seen occupy the Office of Presidency. When he's gone the White House floors will have to be scrubbed with ammonia and the flag fumigated, especially the matresses.

So, yes. Resist and things may yet end well. The liars persist in describing Donald Trump like he's the leader of some huge popular movement when the fact is he's considered a dog.

#154 | Posted by Zed at 2018-07-06 07:00 AM | Reply

"And the beds fumigated, especially the matresses..."

But it wouldn't hurt at all to fumigate the flag.

#155 | Posted by Zed at 2018-07-06 07:01 AM | Reply

"I think a couple percent of you highly evolved geniuses who want to moan and resist could foster."

Setting aside the government hasn't asked anyone to, doing so would only encourage the government to abduct more children.

Do you notice how you keep making this about us, and not about Trump's policy, and your support for it? I notice.

#156 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-07-06 11:49 AM | Reply

I'm for secure borders and crossings at designated ports of entry. I think first offenders (misdemeanor) should not face separation (consistent with current executive order). If you're facing felony charges maybe leave the kid with a family member while you risk life and uncertainty walking across a desert. But no, the parents have no responsibility in this and expect no consequences. They're kinda like stereotypical millennials in that respect.

I believe Congress was working towards border security and immigration reform but I think that would take cooperation from a few Democrats to get something through the house. The Republicans have a slim majority but are not in lock step with each other. Oh well, maybe the next congress. FWIW I don't believe abolishing ICE gets a solution closer because it's DHS and US Customs and Border Protection that are having the interactions at the border anyway.

To #156 What I get from what you say is along the lines of "we only do what the government asks us to, but we won't do anything this government asks us to." I think that's beautiful.

#157 | Posted by Nuke_Gently at 2018-07-06 05:24 PM | Reply