Friday, June 22, 2018

The Rhode Island Senate has passed a bill that would require presidential and vice presidential candidates to file five years' worth of tax returns in order to appear on the state's ballots. The Senate voted 33-3 to pass the measure. A House version has been held in a committee. Senate spokesman Greg Pare says if the bill becomes law, President Donald Trump wouldn't appear on a future ballot unless he filed his returns.

Comments

I'm guessing these legislators skipped ConLaw class when they covered Preemption.

#1 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-06-22 12:20 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Ballot access refers to the laws which regulate under what conditions access is granted for a candidate or political party to appear on voters' ballots. Each State has its own ballot access laws to determine who may appear on ballots and who may not. According to Article I, Section 4, of the United States Constitution, the authority to regulate the time, place, and manner of federal elections is up to each State, unless Congress legislates otherwise. Depending on the office and the state, it may be possible for a voter to cast a write-in vote for a candidate whose name does not appear on the ballot, but it is extremely rare for such a candidate to win office.

#2 | Posted by bored at 2018-06-22 12:40 AM | Reply

It would be funny to see the rethugs make law to allow a POTUS candidate to be on ballots without releasing his tax returns.

#3 | Posted by bored at 2018-06-22 12:42 AM | Reply

Knowing that he's not going to carry Rhode Island, I expect him to bemoan the state's irrelevance, and prove it by going forward without releasing his taxes...or maybe a picture of a giant middle finger with "taxes" emblazoned upon it.

#5 | Posted by Avigdore at 2018-06-22 12:13 PM | Reply

"The Dems focus on these small childish actions while Trump keeps on winning. "

You don't even know they are small childish actions until you actually get to see Trump's tax returns. He likely has many debts to Russians which, if you knew about them, would cause most voters to question their support for him.

#6 | Posted by danni at 2018-06-22 12:33 PM | Reply

If you had attended such a class, you would have learned the constitutionality issue is undecided. Law professor Rick Hasen, one of the leading experts on ballot access laws, says it might be constitutional and Bush v. Gore is one of the reasons why.

www.politico.com

#7 | Posted by rcade at 2018-06-22 01:11 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

24 states have proposed laws like this.

#8 | Posted by rcade at 2018-06-22 01:12 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

This is great. I believe tax returns should be required to disclose.

#9 | Posted by eberly at 2018-06-22 01:16 PM | Reply

This won't pass the House. Trumpublicans will do what needs to be done in order to protect trump.

#10 | Posted by ClownShack at 2018-06-22 01:24 PM | Reply

Clown, you crack me up. You can't count to 100 and you can't click on the link to read the article

#11 | Posted by eberly at 2018-06-22 01:29 PM | Reply

Clown, you crack me up. You can't count to 100

I know! Every time I get to 69 I get the giggles and forget to continue counting.

I'm so juvenile.

#12 | Posted by ClownShack at 2018-06-22 01:34 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Judging by your comment, you think it is OK for a presidential candidate to hide his tax returns. I guess you want more crooks in the White House. Sad!- #8 | Posted by rcade at 2018-06-22 01:12 PM

I'm perfectly fine with states passing laws like this. Their voter laws are (for the most part) their own.
I'm not sure how you made the wild leap from my saying that Trump would act like an ass about it to me approving of it.
Probably the same way you made the wild leap that I approved of removing children from asylum seekers, even though the only statement I made on it was that separating kids from their parents in that manner was wrong and should be stopped.
I can't comment on the things that you assign to me that I've never said, other than to ask why you continue to do so.
Sad!

#13 | Posted by Avigdore at 2018-06-22 01:41 PM | Reply

From Rcade's posted article:
After all, only solidly Democratic states, such as California and Hawaii, are likely to enact such laws. So maybe rather than release his returns to get on the ballot, Trump will just take a pass on being on the ballot in those states. (There is not a single state which Trump won and which has a Democratic-controlled state legislature.)

Trump would have to admit he was afraid of releasing his tax returns, so the dems should take the shot at revealing corrupt candidates.

#14 | Posted by bored at 2018-06-22 03:41 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

- If you had attended such a class, you would have learned the constitutionality issue is undecided.

Burn!

www.youtube.com

#15 | Posted by Corky at 2018-06-22 04:49 PM | Reply

Jesus Christ, could you be a bigger brown noser?

#16 | Posted by eberly at 2018-06-22 05:49 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Jesus Christ, could you be a bigger brown noser?

POSTED BY EBERLY AT 2018-06-22 05:49 PM | REPLY

It's Corky. Relax if he wasn't a brown noser he wouldn't nose what to do with himself.

#17 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-06-22 06:40 PM | Reply

- could you be a bigger brown noser?

Could you be a bigger ankle-biter? Although... wait, what's that on your nose?

Dan Blocker rides again!

#18 | Posted by Corky at 2018-06-23 12:36 AM | Reply

You have to understand Corky, Eberly is just standing up for his man, Fake Lawyer aka Joe Dirt. He is projecting, which is what all of the alt-right nimroded morons do.

#19 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2018-06-23 01:31 AM | Reply

Every time I get to 69 I get the giggles and forget to continue counting.

I'm so juvenile.