Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Where Americans live can have a considerable impact on their quality of life. In some U.S. cities, everyday comfort and happiness is much harder to attain than in others. Quality of life is subjective, and difficult to measure. Still, there is a wide range of quantifiable factors that can impact quality of life in a given area. Affordability, safety, job market strength, quality of education, infrastructure, average commute times, air quality, and the presence of cultural attractions are just a few examples of factors that can influence overall quality of life.

Comments

Guess it's good that I only work in Wilmington DE.

#1 | Posted by Lohocla at 2018-06-13 02:26 PM | Reply

Amazing how high home prices are in a dump like Compton. But this is California, where housing supply is restricted and legal/illegal immigration encouraged. Thanks, Moonbeam!

#2 | Posted by nullifidian at 2018-06-13 03:04 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Hater "buddhists"?

www.google.com

#3 | Posted by Corky at 2018-06-13 09:46 PM | Reply

@2

Nulli, just wait until the Rams new palace opens...the property values in Inglewood and Compton will soar, and the DRtards will freak out for no legitimate reason other than they were told to by their Puppetmasters.

#4 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-06-13 10:21 PM | Reply

Wow. St Louis isn't the worst.

#5 | Posted by jpw at 2018-06-13 11:31 PM | Reply

"Affordability, safety, job market strength, quality of education, infrastructure, average commute times, air quality, and the presence of cultural attractions are just a few examples of factors that can influence overall quality of life."

Since I've yet to encounter a list, such as this one, that is comprised by using more than 3-5 of these & other factors, I've never given them much, if any, credibility. However, I always seem to look at the entire list anyway.

That said, I just wanted to make note of the fact that no city in Texas made this particular list. Considering the amount of trashing Texas seems to receive from much of the rest of the country, it appears they must be doing something right.

#6 | Posted by 9mmHeater at 2018-06-13 11:33 PM | Reply

Wow. St Louis isn't the worst.

#5 | POSTED BY JPW

I was chuckling at how many California cities made the list and was then chastened by the top 2 - Flint and Detroit. Yikes! Get your house in order, Michigan.

#7 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-06-13 11:41 PM | Reply

Nor did any in North or South Dakota. Or Minnesota. New Jersey? Hawaii? Oregon? Alaska?

#8 | Posted by REDIAL at 2018-06-13 11:45 PM | Reply

Where do you rank?

Not at all, Houston ain't on the list. None of Texas is.

#9 | Posted by et_al at 2018-06-13 11:45 PM | Reply

I knew michigan would "win" before i clicked the link.

#10 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2018-06-14 12:09 AM | Reply

Alex,

Fortunately, this "win" is somewhat mitigated by the fact that USA Today Travel ranks Lake Charlevoix and Torch Lake as the #2 and #3 best lakes in the entire country.

#11 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-06-14 12:30 AM | Reply

Are you just pointing that out, or should I just put it in my list of 'The 50 Most Obvious Trolling Posts Ever'?

#12 | Posted by 9mmHeater at 2018-06-14 12:41 AM | Reply

I noticed Tallahassee was on the list. Funny for me because relatives who live there pretend their poo don't stink and that they are better than us down here in S. Florida. Meanwhile, without us down here the state would be broke.

#13 | Posted by danni at 2018-06-14 06:59 AM | Reply

Cannot imagine a place worse than east st louis.

#14 | Posted by visiter at 2018-06-14 08:27 AM | Reply

Woo-hoo. None of Hampton Roads 7 cities made that list.
I have lived in 2 cities that did make it, though: Atlanta and North Charleston.

#15 | Posted by Avigdore at 2018-06-14 08:53 AM | Reply

Amazing Kansas cities were left off as well.

Well, there are only 3 or 4 that would qualify anyway.

But whatever.

#16 | Posted by eberly at 2018-06-14 09:22 AM | Reply

Well, there are only 3 or 4 that would qualify anyway.
But whatever.

#16 | POSTED BY EBERLY AT 2018-06-14 09:22 AM | REPLY | FLAG:

Your list???

#17 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-06-14 09:30 AM | Reply

Laura, what do you mean? I was just referring to the cities in Kansas I would have to have a large in a population to qualify for that list

Believe me, there are smaller cities in this country that don't qualify for the list that are way way worse places to live in any of the cities listed

Are you asking me what I think of the worst towns in Kansas?

Topeka
Liberal
Pretty much any place in SE kansas.

#18 | Posted by eberly at 2018-06-14 09:36 AM | Reply

Are you asking me what I think of the worst towns in Kansas?
Topeka
Liberal
Pretty much any place in SE kansas.

POSTED BY EBERLY AT 2018-06-14 09:36 AM | REPLY

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS and Thank You. Topeka sucks. Too many hoodlums.

#19 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-06-14 09:42 AM | Reply

State capitals are special issue sometimes. It's very possible most people who work in Topeka in state government related to state government ... Those folks don't live there. I can easily live in Lawrence or Kansas City and just commute. I work with several trade association directors and support staff and most of those folks live in Lawrence or Kansas City. Very few of them actually live in Topeka.

Those are some of the best jobs in town and unfortunately they're occupied by people who don't live there ... Because they don't have to

#20 | Posted by eberly at 2018-06-14 10:04 AM | Reply

I question "the worst". Don't get me wrong - I live near one of the worst cities in the country and it was probably too small now to make the list and is worse than the worst. But Detroit itself is rebounding and fast. People actually WANT to live there again. It's called "gentrification" by many but the truth is it is economic revitalization. Of course it will impact the poor that it pushes out but it also creates opportunities. The core of Detroit has witnessed a tremendous rebound that is rapidly spreading outward. Housing costs are rapidly shooting up as is employment. People go downtown to just spend the night now. You see people out at night walking on the streets - a lot of people. 15 years ago it was like a desert at night. People going to a few select locations and staying as near to them as possible - like oases. I was down there all the time back then - going to a game, City Club, The Old Shillelagh, The Fox Theatre, St. Andrew's Hall.

That said there is a lot of Detroit that is still extremely depressed after decades of decline. Public services and schools have just began to see improvements.

#21 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2018-06-14 10:42 AM | Reply

Pretty much any place in SE kansas.
................#18 | POSTED BY EBERLY

Name One please

#22 | Posted by ABlock at 2018-06-14 11:51 AM | Reply

#19 | Posted by LauraMohr The only place in my opinion that approaches East St. Louis as far as just being flat dangerous, Kansas City Kansas. Makes Liberal look sunny in comparison.

#23 | Posted by docnjo at 2018-06-14 12:22 PM | Reply

........................................#23 | POSTED BY DOCNJO

kansas city kansas is where the thugs live that weren't tough enough to make it in kansas city missouri..and liberal was a very nice rural small town. then came the somalis. they -- emporia and they've -- liberal. and drones should be deployed in flint, imo

#24 | Posted by ABlock at 2018-06-14 12:41 PM | Reply

#24 | Posted by ABlock I thought that most of the thugs in Kansas City KS were the ones dodging warrants across the border.

#25 | Posted by docnjo at 2018-06-14 03:28 PM | Reply

I will not defend Texas on this point, there are some real crap holes in Texas, most down in the Rio Grand valley. But I guess they arn't big enough to make this list. Wichita Falls, my home town comes to mind, back in the early 80s a third of the meth in the US was made within a 50 mile radius of that burg. The homicide rate was higher than Washington DC or New Orleans. But we actually did something about it, we sent the cooks and dealers to prison, and harassed the MC gangs ruthlessly. You know something is going on when you see cuts with the Piston Heads, Banditos, and several other organizations sharing turf.

#26 | Posted by docnjo at 2018-06-14 04:04 PM | Reply

Ft Scott

#27 | Posted by eberly at 2018-06-14 08:36 PM | Reply

-Kansas City Kansas

Wyandotte County is awful but Johnson county is much nicer.

Prairie Village
Overland Park
Olathe
Shawnee

#28 | Posted by eberly at 2018-06-14 08:39 PM | Reply

...................Ft Scott
#27 | POSTED BY EBERLY

give us a little insight concerning Ft. Scott...and why not mention Pittsburgh

#29 | Posted by ABlock at 2018-06-14 10:38 PM | Reply

SE Kansas is very economically depressed. Huge meth problem there....and Pittsburg is struggling as well. I wouldn't move there either.

#30 | Posted by eberly at 2018-06-15 09:16 AM | Reply

Chicago should definitely be on the list if for no other reason than the murder rate.
San Francisco should be on the list because of the cost of living and their local government.
I am not Surprised that Detroit is on the list. But they are rated way too high. It makes me question the methodology. There does not seem to be any weight given to what direction the city/area is moving in. If someone is thinking about moving to any area, they want to know where it's headed more than where it's been.

#31 | Posted by bogey1355 at 2018-06-15 04:54 PM | Reply