Monday, June 11, 2018

A decade ago, Fred Haines was wandering the Wichita airport looking for a Nigerian man hauling two chests full of cash.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

After an hour of waiting and asking around, he finally came to the realization that the $65 million Nigerian fortune he thought he was inheriting was not coming after all.

What is now coming, though, is the $110,000 he had been scammed out of, thanks to the work of the Kansas Attorney General's Office.

Comments

Dummkiof should have lost his money for good. I have no sympathy for dumbasses.

#1 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-06-11 05:28 PM | Reply

I'm a dingbat who can't type.

#2 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-06-11 05:29 PM | Reply

From the cited article:

...Last year, in a settlement with the Department of Justice, Western Union admitted it knew some of its employees had conspired with scam artists to bilk people out of money and had failed to fix the problem. The company set aside $586 million to create a fund to refund victims across the U.S. and Canada....

Looks like Western Union isn't the innocent messenger here....

#3 | Posted by LampLighter at 2018-06-11 07:29 PM | Reply

Looks lik Comrade Boazo fell for this scam. Poor little fascist!

#4 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2018-06-11 08:03 PM | Reply

#1, you just inadvertently came up with a new nickname for Trump. Dummcoif.

#5 | Posted by qcp at 2018-06-11 08:15 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Comrade Boaz thinks it is ok for the employees of WU to conspire to rip of their customers. He and they should probably apply for employment with Wells Fargo, they would fit right in.

#6 | Posted by danni at 2018-06-12 07:03 AM | Reply

I haven't heard from the Nigerian Prince in years. I sort of miss him. Sniff.

#7 | Posted by SomebodyElse at 2018-06-12 08:53 AM | Reply

I once got an email telling me that I had died in a car crash in Nigeria (apparently living my secret life as a petroleum engineer) and that a banker there had insurance proceeds for my family. I replied and assured him that I could distribute the funds. Still waiting for the $$ to arrive...

#8 | Posted by catdog at 2018-06-12 11:58 AM | Reply

I have to admit that I'm a bit prejudiced against Nigerians, both because of these scams (which I would never fall for but have known several people who almost did) and the interactions and observations I had when I met them in other countries, compared to people from other African nations. I'm sure there are lots good Nigerians (it is the most populous country in Africa after all), but I'm guessing most of them don't interact with people in other countries, so the bad apples set the reputation that precedes them.

#9 | Posted by sentinel at 2018-06-14 01:25 PM | Reply