Monday, June 11, 2018

This particularly strict group of Orthodox Jews, entrenched and concentrated primarily in a few communities in New York and New Jersey, has generated more indifference than curiosity -- until now.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

That is because Hasidic communities have been outgrowing their enclaves and pushing to establish outposts in new towns, leading to pitched battles all over the New York region.

Comments

Just like I would say about Muslims, I will say the same of these Jews. And of blacks.

And if the local governments cant do something about it, our national govt needs to recognize the right of states to be autonomous, so they can say NO to this when the time comes. Just because one race or religion can breed more than everyone else doesn't mean they have the right to intrude on communities that don't believe as they do.

And I do have a big problem with the way they are using welfare, too.

#1 | Posted by boaz at 2018-06-11 12:01 PM | Reply

"They need to assimilate. Period."

Why won't you say the same about the cake bakers?

#2 | Posted by Danforth at 2018-06-11 12:03 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 5

#2 Pretty much. Why can't the Trumpers assimilate to modern day America?

#3 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-06-11 12:20 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

@#1 ...And of blacks.

They need to assimilate. Period. If they don't like it, they can go back to wherever their religion is from. ...

Blacks have difficulty assimilating because of their religion?

#4 | Posted by LampLighter at 2018-06-11 12:28 PM | Reply

"And I do have a big problem"

that is all to evident

You are Morally Impoverished

#5 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2018-06-11 12:35 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Why can't the Trumpers assimilate to modern day America?

Our definitions of "America" are different. You are trying to "change" everything. I don't think it needs changing.

Your "progress" isn't "progress" to everyone. And they have a right to not want what you want.

Why won't you say the same about the cake bakers?

#6 | Posted by boaz at 2018-06-11 12:49 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"the bakers have a right to sell their private product to who they want to."

And what if they don't want to sell to blacks?

#7 | Posted by Danforth at 2018-06-11 12:58 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The news here may be that Fox has finally found a group of poorly educated ultra-conservatives that they don't like.

#8 | Posted by Corky at 2018-06-11 01:03 PM | Reply

And what if they don't want to sell to blacks?

There's a law against that already. Means nothing.

But if the black happens to be gay, well...

#9 | Posted by boaz at 2018-06-11 01:07 PM | Reply

And it may not be that they don't want to make a generic cake for a gay person,

They just don't want to make a cake with two men on it. It offends their religion. I understand that.

#10 | Posted by boaz at 2018-06-11 01:08 PM | Reply

'What do you mean you want a wedding cake with "sexy feet" on it? Get the frak outta here!"

#11 | Posted by Corky at 2018-06-11 01:12 PM | Reply | Funny: 2 | Newsworthy 1

And they would have a right to say, "We don't do feet cakes"...

#12 | Posted by boaz at 2018-06-11 01:14 PM | Reply

-Because the bakers have a right to sell their private product to who they want to.

within the boundaries of "protected classes" you can't discriminate against.

#13 | Posted by eberly at 2018-06-11 01:14 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

-And they would have a right to say, "We don't do feet cakes"...

yes, because foot fetishes are not included in a protected class.

#14 | Posted by eberly at 2018-06-11 01:15 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The court ruling did not give bakers, or anyone else, the right to refuse services they provide to gay people any more than they have the right to refuse services to black people.

#15 | Posted by Corky at 2018-06-11 01:17 PM | Reply

They need to assimilate. Period.
#1 | POSTED BY BOAZ

Oh the hypocrisy. You need to assimilate and develop some US values Boaz before you can comment on anyone else. You represent everything this country stands against and you need to leave or assimilate.

#16 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2018-06-11 01:29 PM | Reply

So you have the freedom of religion UNLESS you can't assimilate.

Okay, got it.

#17 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2018-06-11 01:52 PM | Reply

You need to go ---- yourself Indiana. I'm not leaving. You are the one who wants the U.S. to be like Europe. Why don't YOU leave and go to your paradise outside of this great nation?

You need to learn to compromise with AMERICANS like me because I have rights just as you do.

If they don't want to sell a gay themed cake, they shouldn't be made to make on. And don't bring up race, that has been settled.

#18 | Posted by boaz at 2018-06-11 01:53 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Cleopatra Schwartz

She was 6 feet of black dynamite. He was a short, Hasidic Jew.

#19 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-06-11 02:54 PM | Reply

#18 | POSTED BY BOAZ
Why don't YOU leave and go to your paradise outside of this great nation?
Dumb ass, you can't steel our line. We actually think this nation is great and you've spent the last 3 years telling everyone it isn't.

No one gives a ---- what you confederate morons think. We destroyed your ----- america in 1865. Either comply with the values of the US or gtfo.

I don't know enough about this case. Was the cake gay themed or were the purchasers gay? I agree that they shouldn't be forced to sell a gay-themed cake, but if it was a "normal" cake and they were refused for being gay, that is prejudice and should not be tolerated; much like you should not be tolerated.

#20 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2018-06-11 04:25 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

They don't need to assimilate. The bible preaches nonconformity.

#21 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-06-11 04:28 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Boaz, please forgive me for singling you out on this, but as a Major, and probably Battalion XO in charge of 800 troops under a LTC, surely you had classes on the legality of protected classes. Namely who you can and can't discriminate against.

This is why I think you're too smart for this type of stuff. No offense, man.

#22 | Posted by madscientist at 2018-06-11 04:30 PM | Reply

#10 | POSTED BY BOAZ

Ding ding ding ding we have our double standard of the day winner!

#23 | Posted by jpw at 2018-06-11 04:43 PM | Reply

#22,

It's all good brother, and you are right.

While we may have no problem making a gay cake, some peoples religion means alot to them. We just have different levels of obscene.

I just dont agree with making him bake the cake..

#24 | Posted by boaz at 2018-06-11 04:45 PM | Reply

This from a man who agreed with stonewalling a SCOTUS nominee so that a new GOP Pres could wear one and away the court in his preferred direction.

No offense boaz, but saying you want to compromise is a load of ----.

#25 | Posted by jpw at 2018-06-11 04:46 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

On topic, Hasidic Jewish enclaves do represent an issue IMO for several reasons.

Not the least of which is their tendancy to push out outsiders ruthlessly when they move into an area.

#26 | Posted by jpw at 2018-06-11 04:56 PM | Reply

And don't bring up race, that has been settled.

#18 | Posted by boaz

Sure glad that's finally over!

BTW- Who won?

#27 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-06-11 06:46 PM | Reply

Are you kidding me? Liberals are the ones telling everyone who will listen in Europe how the U.S. isnt great, Remember? Obama went around apologizing. Dont try to get that stink of you liberals.

You agreed with me and everything I have said and you say I shouldn't be tolerated? WTF is that? You are the text book of party over solutions

The bible preaches nonconformity.

You know nothing about the bible, for if it did, you would know you wont make it into heaven bathed in gay sin. Obviously you havent read the bible. Do as the Romans do is what the bible teaches.

#28 | Posted by boaz at 2018-06-11 07:08 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

"you would know you wont make it into heaven bathed in gay sin"

Need chapter and verse on that one please.

#29 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-06-11 07:11 PM | Reply

#28 are you referring to the Old or New Testament regarding being bathed in gay sin?

#30 | Posted by jpw at 2018-06-11 07:13 PM | Reply

Do as the Romans do is what the bible teaches.

#28 | Posted by boaz

Your Guild sucks.

I don't want to be a Roman.

I definitely don't want to be like you.

I don't know what kind of sin you bath in but you stink of hate and intolerance.

If God was speaking to us through the bible it is obvious you did not get the message.

#31 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-06-11 07:15 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

...are you referring to the Old or New Testament

He's referring to the Book of Boaz.

#32 | Posted by REDIAL at 2018-06-11 07:20 PM | Reply

#29 I think it was Pope John Paul II who said "suck the dick, lose the kingdom", but yeah, that is in the Bible. And while you are at it, look up the sin of Onan. Save yourself.

#33 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-06-11 07:26 PM | Reply

#28 | POSTED BY BOAZ AT 2018-06-11 07:08 PM | REPLY | FLAG

en.wikipedia.org

Nonconformity to the world, also called separation from the world, is a Christian doctrine based on Romans 12:2:,[1][2] 2. Corinthians 6:17 and other verses of the New Testament that became important among different Protestant groups, especially among Anabaptist. The corresponding German word used by Anabaptists is Absonderung.[3] Nonconformity is primarily expressed through the practices of plain dress and simple living.

PS Can you describe in great detail what bathed in gay sin is like for the class????

#34 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-06-11 07:26 PM | Reply

"don't bring up race, that has been settled."

So was equal rights for gays.

Why don't you want YOUR rights on the chopping block?

#35 | Posted by Danforth at 2018-06-11 07:42 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

He's referring to the Book of Boaz.

#32 | Posted by REDIAL

That's more or less what I assume.

And as justification he'll probably point to the Old Testament, which isn't to be taken as God's law anymore anyways.

It always makes me laugh that as a recovering Catholic I know Christianity better than about 90% of the supposed faithful I meet.

(have to hand it to Corky on that, he's taught me a lot over the years even though we don't agree on the subject)

#36 | Posted by jpw at 2018-06-11 08:18 PM | Reply

And while you are at it, look up the sin of Onan. Save yourself.

#33 | POSTED BY HELIUMRAT AT 2018-06-11 07:26 PM | REPLY | FLAG:

You've brought ------------ as an affront to God into this?

#37 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-06-11 08:40 PM | Reply

I think it's actually saying the pull out method is going to land you in hell. Same with the money shot.

#38 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-06-11 08:41 PM | Reply

-look up the sin of Onan.

And you'll find that it wasn't about ------------.

#39 | Posted by Corky at 2018-06-11 08:44 PM | Reply

In the story, Onan was killed for not fulfilling his Levirate duty and for disobeying God, not for pulling out.

#40 | Posted by Corky at 2018-06-11 08:53 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

- you wont make it into heaven bathed in gay sin. Obviously you havent read the bible.

Being judged in way you judge others is one of the only sure ways to F up the afterlife.

#41 | Posted by Corky at 2018-06-11 09:14 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Aren't they all about disobeying god?

#42 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-06-11 10:43 PM | Reply

In the OT. The NT isn't rules, it's faith, hope, and love. And the greatest of those is love, according to Paul. Behavior isn't the point, faith is.

#43 | Posted by Corky at 2018-06-11 10:51 PM | Reply

And don't bring up race, that has been settled.
#18 | POSTED BY BOAZ

Oh, yeah! Clearly been settled. /s

You know, BOAZ, you're not the sole arbiter on race, regardless of your blackness.

#44 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2018-06-11 11:19 PM | Reply

Why so many people concerned with offending BOAZ?

Is he the resident snowflake now that Trump is POTUS?

#45 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2018-06-11 11:22 PM | Reply

But faith is behavior.

#46 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2018-06-11 11:28 PM | Reply

-look up the sin of Onan.

And you'll find that it wasn't about ------------.

#39 | Posted by Corky

Ahem. Genesis 38:9 "And he spilled his seed upon the ground".

Look Corky, we can padlock-lock your pants, we can shave your palms, we can get you glasses. But the only way you can save your soul is to climb out of the slimy pit of Onanism.

Tonight, after I say my prayers and climb into bed (with my hands safely outside the covers), I will be asking myself what more I can do to help.

In the meantime, here is an inspirational video to help you out of that pit: www.youtube.com

#47 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-06-12 12:12 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

"And he spilled his seed upon the ground".

Was not the reason he was killed.

www.cgg.org

You should stick to your tin foil hats and your Orange Crush on Dear Leader... you know, things you know something about.

- But faith is behavior.

I was talking about behavior as in "good or bad" behavior, pretty obviously.

In the NT, faith is man's job, changing behavior is sometimes a result of that faith, but not a requirement; it's not about "will-worship", and one's behavior will never be perfect in this life anyway.

#48 | Posted by Corky at 2018-06-12 12:30 AM | Reply

#48 I swear to God, Corky, you take things way to seriously. Try clicking on my link in #47 and maybe you will get it.

#49 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-06-12 12:34 AM | Reply

- you take things way to seriously

I could try to only post idiotic bs, because I had nothing else, but then, we already have you for that.

#50 | Posted by Corky at 2018-06-12 12:39 AM | Reply

#50 That is so awesome. Keep up the good work.

#51 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-06-12 12:44 AM | Reply

btw, The Meaning of Life was funny... you, not so much.

Maybe if you didn't try so hard?

Naw.....

#52 | Posted by Corky at 2018-06-12 12:44 AM | Reply

#52 You annoy me too. But you manage to do it for purely practical reasons.

#53 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-06-12 12:56 AM | Reply

-You annoy me too.

Thanks. But don't feel special. All Trump voters are annoying, as stupidity is by it's very nature annoying. Well, to most of us.

#54 | Posted by Corky at 2018-06-12 01:01 AM | Reply

#54 My rl friends laugh at my jokes and enjoy my company. Even many online people like my sense of humor. You know what that tells me? You are a jerk.

And of course you had to drag politics into this.

Yep, you=jerk.

#55 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-06-12 01:08 AM | Reply

- drag politics into this.

On a political blog? How dare I!

- My rl friends laugh at my jokes and enjoy my company. Even many online people like my sense of humor.

www.youtube.com

#56 | Posted by Corky at 2018-06-12 01:15 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

#56 As the worlds foremost expert, I have to say I like Stuart Smilley :)

#57 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-06-12 01:34 AM | Reply

#56 And Corky, I hate to have to tell you this, but in the five or six years I've been here, I've noticed that you haven't made a single friend.

It took me a long time, but I think this conversation finally explained why to me: you don't have friends. You have clients.

But on the bright side that means there is room for spiritual growth! (eh... heh-heh).

#58 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-06-12 01:55 AM | Reply

Why so many people concerned with offending BOAZ?

He's never said anything ------ to me, Rsty, so there's no need to offend him. That's why I couched my #22 post the way I did. I don't agree with some of his politics, and I think he's been having a good time the last 15 years kicking dust in my liberal brethren's faces, but I believe he's a good-hearted guy who'd be an excellent neighbor. As long as he doesn't start up and rumble his Mustang at 3am. ☺

You'd be surprised how much respect you can gain by not being an ------- (and thinking to yourself "head/desk.")

#59 | Posted by madscientist at 2018-06-12 04:55 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#30 | Posted by jpw

In a way, you are right.

As long as you believe in God, you will be saved. That's the new testament. The rules of the OT don't matter.

BUT, you cant live as a heathen and profess God. God is not sin. When you believe in God and saved, you don't do those things that are unpleasing in God's sight.

Being homosexual is not pleasing in God's sight. God realized man couldn't stop sinning. So he came down himself and paid the price for the sins we cant stop doing.

#60 | Posted by boaz at 2018-06-12 06:22 AM | Reply

Thinking you are the smartest person in the room is a sure sign you are a liberal douche.

#61 | Posted by boaz at 2018-06-12 06:23 AM | Reply

Your Guild sucks.

I don't want to be a Roman.

Neither did the Jews under the Romans. Or under the Muslims.

There used to be an understanding between religions ions ago. We take you over, we wont bother how you do your religion, but you live in the open like we say.

But that changed with radical Islam. Now, in that region, it's all or nothing, which causes war.

You liberals always think you are going to have a choice on how you live. Imagine if a muslim country took over the U.S.

Contrary to what you think, you probably wont be allowed to be a liberal. Being a liberal is death in most muslim countries. Ask their gays..

#62 | Posted by boaz at 2018-06-12 06:27 AM | Reply

POSTED BY BOAZ AT 2018-06-12 06:23 AM | REPLY

Or Boaz.

#63 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-06-12 07:49 AM | Reply

I... I can't believe I didn't see this at first but:

#28 Boaz "you wont make it into heaven bathed in gay sin."

Dude, that is the ultimate comeback to anybody that insults you, ever, just before the fight starts or whatever.

I am so going to going to use that forever. Thank you Boaz, I worship at your feet.

#64 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-06-12 08:19 AM | Reply

Oh God, I know how I'm going to do it. I'll look my victim up and down, because you have to take in the whole person, and put my hand to my chin and nod, as if coming to a realization. And then I'll say that.

Naw, the police would just show up and spoil everything as everyone ran in terror from the extreme violence.

#65 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-06-12 08:40 AM | Reply

#61 | POSTED BY BOAZ

I don't claim to be the smartest person in the room.

I think it's the fact that a. I can be objective about religion and b. That objectivity lets me see the pick and choose nature of most religious denominations.

For instance, if the OT is no longer the law of the land, why would it displease God when sins are forgiven by believing in Jesus? It wouldn't.

#66 | Posted by jpw at 2018-06-12 09:49 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

- you haven't made a single friend.

That's hilarious, Stuart. Keep up the 12 Step Programs.

lol, JPW understands the testaments better than Major B.... and in post #66, too! It's Apocalyptic!

#67 | Posted by Corky at 2018-06-12 12:53 PM | Reply

Civilian life is hard on BOAZ... he can't assimilate.

He'd rather eat an MRE full of dehydrated poo with other poo-lovers than have real food with Jews, Muslims or even with other black people.

#68 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-06-12 02:07 PM | Reply

#60 | Posted by boaz

What a nice fantasy! Isn't it interesting how this God of yours has human emotions and prejudices.

And how convenient that your God's bigoted thinking matches yours so well. Why would a God be upset that his beautiful creations love each other and their bodies.

It is almost like someone invented this God just for unthinking and hateful bigots like you.

I guess some humans just have not evolved yet past the point of needing an all powerful authority figure to tell them how to think and behave toward their fellow Man.

#69 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-06-12 02:37 PM | Reply

"some peoples religion means alot to them" - christians

"they need to assimilate" - jews and muslims

so Boaz thinks people need to assimilate to christianity. NOPE !!!

boaz is proof that the military service people aren't fighting for our constitution, but for their individual pockets.

#70 | Posted by klifferd at 2018-06-13 10:26 AM | Reply