Saturday, June 09, 2018

Kirsten Powers: The pain was debilitating, getting out of bed was an Olympian event, and life was utterly devoid of meaning. I stopped eating and shed 15 pounds in a month. I couldn't see any reason to be alive. I've thought a lot about this period following the suicides of Kate Spade and Anthony Bourdain, two people who by public appearances seemed to be living their best lives. ... Rather than pathologizing the despair and emotional suffering that is a rational response to a culture that values people based on ever escalating financial and personal achievements, we should acknowledge that something is very wrong. We should stop telling people who yearn for a deeper meaning in life that they have an illness or need therapy. Instead, we need to help people craft lives that are more meaningful and built on a firmer foundation than personal success.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

We exist largely disconnected from our extended families, friends and communities -- except in the shallow interactions of social media -- because we are too busy trying to "make it" without realizing that once we reach that goal, it won't be enough.

In an interview this year, the comedian and actor Jim Carrey talked about "getting to the place where you have everything everybody has ever desired and realizing you are still unhappy. And that you can still be unhappy is a shock when you have accomplished everything you ever dreamt of and more ... "

Comments

I'm beginning to think that suicidal thoughts are just another gauntlet we have to pass through on our way into old age.

#1 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2018-06-09 09:35 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Rite: If you don't know what you are talking about, just stfu.

#2 | Posted by moder8 at 2018-06-09 10:40 PM | Reply

Rite: If you don't know what you are talking about, just stfu.

#3 | Posted by moder8 at 2018-06-09 10:40 PM | Reply

I have far fewer suicidal thoughts as I get older than I did a couple of decades ago. For me, old age bring acceptance of who you are and a lessening of the need to compete in ways that we shouldn't feel compelled to compete. It's easier to accept a less than perfect body image, career achievement even a wrinkled face. At least it is for me. When I was younger I felt that I needed to be as perfect as possible, that was a burden. I prefer today when I can accept who, what and where I am. I don't honestly think I've ever been happier.

#4 | Posted by danni at 2018-06-10 08:03 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#4 | POSTED BY DANNI AT 2018-06-10 08:03 AM | FLAG:

I am so happy for you and that's genuine. GOOD DEAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Some of us aren't as lucky so don't judge us.

#5 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-06-10 08:19 AM | Reply

It's odd that the same person who's self-deputized himself as an erstwhile moderator, telling people to STFU, never once said anything to the racists who used to post here.

You're not the only person here who's acquainted with grief, Moder8.

#6 | Posted by madscientist at 2018-06-10 09:04 AM | Reply

Hang in there, Laura. The world's a better place with you in it.

It's a Wonderful Life comes to mind...

#7 | Posted by madscientist at 2018-06-10 09:06 AM | Reply

Fortunately I've never considered suicide, even when I was unemployed for 6 months.

I didn't know that Kirsten Powers was ever in such a dark place - glad she got through it.

#8 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-06-11 06:54 AM | Reply