Saturday, June 09, 2018

She was kidnapped by Salvadoran guerillas three decades ago, watched her husband be killed and forced to cook and clean for the militants. Now she can't stay in the U.S. -- because that was supporting terrorists, a court says. The main appellate body of the immigration courts issued a divided opinion Wednesday with broad implications, finding that a woman from El Salvador is ineligible for status in the U.S. because her 1990 abduction and forced labor amount to "material support" of a terrorist organization.

Comments

They are keeping us safe by rounding up all kinds terrorists --- like this one --- who cross the border.

#1 | Posted by MrSilenceDogood at 2018-06-09 05:45 AM | Reply

So when is Trump and his supporters being sent to Russia for material and moral support?

#2 | Posted by jpw at 2018-06-09 12:01 PM | Reply

Justice in America? Hilarious!
Justice under Trump? Impossible!

#3 | Posted by danni at 2018-06-09 01:26 PM | Reply

Welcome to our Oligarchy

#4 | Posted by bayviking at 2018-06-09 01:34 PM | Reply

Welcome to Trumpistan.

#5 | Posted by Corky at 2018-06-09 01:37 PM | Reply

I wish it came as a surprise that literally no Trump Guzzlers or Never Trumpers think this is a problem.

#6 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-06-09 02:26 PM | Reply

Where is Lumbergh when you need him?

#7 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-06-09 02:42 PM | Reply

While the respondent's assistance may have been relatively minimal, if she had not provided the cooking and cleaning services she was forced to perform, another person would have needed to do so.
The Immigration Judge's analysis was conclusory, stating only that the respondent met her burden to show that she was subject to torture and that deferral of removal was warranted. Under these circumstances, we conclude that a remand is necessary for the Immigration Judge to provide factual and legal analyses for her decision.

Upon remand, the Immigration Judge may conduct further proceedings, as appropriate, and give the parties an opportunity to supplement the record with additional relevant evidence and argument. She should issue a new decision taking into consideration the totality of all the evidence presented in this matter. In remanding, we offer no opinion as to the ultimate outcome in this case.
Pauley and Cole interpret living through the horrors of forced labor, having her family murdered in front of her and their home and money stolen constitutes "material support". What "additional relevant evidence" is required to meet their standard, if there is one any longer? If she were forced to dig her own grave to be shot in like her husband this wouldn't be an issue but still would not constitute torture in their interpretation.

America is a lie.

#8 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2018-06-09 02:57 PM | Reply

Is America Great Again yet?

#9 | Posted by WhoDaMan at 2018-06-09 03:58 PM | Reply

Who,

"Is America Great Again yet?"

Isn't it pretty great how so many people sit at home all day, don't have to work, get to live off the taxpayers and play on the Internet all day, all the while running down America?

How many countries can you do that?

Sounds great to me.

#10 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-06-09 05:49 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 2

You know they don't hold jobs.

They must either be independently wealthy or living off the government dole.

And then watch who complains about the government.

#11 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-06-09 06:49 PM | Reply

You know they don't hold jobs.

Or they post from work. Some working people have access to computers and/or phones.

#12 | Posted by REDIAL at 2018-06-09 06:54 PM | Reply

"You know they don't hold jobs."

You know jack. I'm willing to bet 95 percent of us here goldbrick.

#13 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2018-06-09 08:01 PM | Reply

Alex,

"You know jack. I'm willing to bet 95 percent of us here goldbrick."

You're probably right.

#14 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-06-09 08:40 PM | Reply

You know they don't hold jobs.
They must either be independently wealthy or living off the government dole.
And then watch who complains about the government.

#11 | POSTED BY BILLJOHNSON

Some are retired. I spent 37 years in IT in Fortune 500 companies, and now I have 2 pensions and SS. It's sufficient to maintain a decent lifestyle. All in all, I paid into SS for 50 years (including all my jobs before I got into IT). It wasn't my idea to stop working, and I didn't want to. I was laid off at the age of 67. There are not a lot of IT jobs for 67 year-olds. There is definitely such a thing as age discrimination. I gave up looking for work after 3 years. This idea that there is some great number of people "living off the government" who are not either retired or disabled is ridiculous. Just more of the politics of grievance, the idea that if somebody gets something it automatically costs you something. Anything you earn is also a cost to somebody else, you know.

#15 | Posted by WhoDaMan at 2018-06-09 08:43 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Who,

I'm quite sure the many people who post on this site run the gamut on different situations.

Just pointing out that people who are on the dole (you know who you are) and then run down the country are biting the hand that feeds you.

But Alex pointed out that most posters on here are probably goldbrickers.

Hey...good for them. I can't do that at work.

Still though...just pointing out America is a greater place to live and work (or not work) than other countries.

One poster asked if America is Great.

I think it is.

#16 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-06-09 09:10 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"I see some posters on here who post am and pm. Early and late...all times. All week long.

You know they don't hold jobs."

Or they have office jobs like Eberly.

You don't know much, BillJohnson.

#17 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-06-09 09:34 PM | Reply

Or they're in management.

#18 | Posted by madscientist at 2018-06-09 09:36 PM | Reply

The logic of Kings and despots.

#19 | Posted by bayviking at 2018-06-10 06:12 AM | Reply

It looks like that's the route I'm going now. I hate that you had to stop working.

What type of IT were you in? Can you continue with coding?

#20 | Posted by boaz at 2018-06-10 07:16 AM | Reply

I'll let Trump run down America, BILL. He's obviously enthusiastic.

As for work, I do that every day. Every. Day. Our fat and lazy excuse for a president has no hope of keeping up with me.

#21 | Posted by Zed at 2018-06-10 09:00 AM | Reply

If that's not blaming the victim for the crime of perpetrators then I don't know what is.

#22 | Posted by berto42 at 2018-06-10 09:38 AM | Reply

You know they don't hold jobs.
They must either be independently wealthy or living off the government dole.
And then watch who complains about the government.
#11 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-06-09 06:49 PM

Uhm, this lady was forced at gunpoint, her home and savings used for paramilitary attacks on her nations government.

It does sound like she has been kidnapped by nationalist forces from both directions.

Is that what you meant by government dole?

#23 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2018-06-10 09:16 PM | Reply