Monday, May 21, 2018

Jimmy Kimmel might have just found a new cause to champion: literacy. "According to a recent study from the PEW Research Center, almost 1 in 4 Americans has not read a book in the past year," he began during Thursday's Jimmy Kimmel Live! episode. But the late night host wasn't convinced. "That actually seems high to me. I bet it's even fewer than that," he said. The decline of the American bibliophile concerned him so deeply that he sent his crew out to the streets of Los Angeles to ask pedestrians to name a book, any book.

Comments

I'd like to know how many interviews had people who did name a book and were cut vs the few morons that couldn't and did end up in the video. That's wouldn't be as "funny" though.

#1 | Posted by qcp at 2018-05-21 02:16 PM | Reply

Apropos:

E-book Sales Fell 10% in 2017
www.publishersweekly.com

...Unit sales of traditionally published e-books fell 10% in 2017, compared to 2016, according to figures released by PubTrack Digital, part of the NPD book group. The service, which tracks sales from about 450 publishers, said e-book unit sales hit 162 million last year, down from 180 million units in 2016.

NPD reported that combining print sales from its BookScan service with PubTrack digital sales, e-books accounted for 19% of total units (both print and digital) last year, down from 21% in 2016. The top selling e-book among the trade publishers, it reported, was The Handmaid's Tale published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt....

Has the web lowered our attention span to the point that a book is too long to hold our interest anymore?

#2 | Posted by LampLighter at 2018-05-21 02:18 PM | Reply

I love reading. During the summer I will read at least 2 books a week. I'm on a mission to read every book written by Jodi Picoult. About half way there.

#3 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2018-05-21 02:36 PM | Reply

This really hit home to me a few years ago when I took an English class at Community College. The prof had just read an essay by a young black English writer and said, "This gentleman hopes to join a long tradition of English writers, can anyone name some famous English authors?".
My hand went right up, "Charles Dickens (to me, the most English of authors)", I said.
"Good", he answered, "anyone else?"
A minute of silence, I raised my hand again, "Mary Shelly", I said. (The list in my head was already 10 or so deep).
"Good", he answered, "anyone else?"
Another minute of silence, I spoke again, "Jane Austin".
"Can ANYONE ELSE name an English author?" he begged with frustration.
After another minute a woman in the back timidly raised her hand, "The Harry Potter lady?" she asked.
"Yes" the Prof sighed with relief, "J.K. Rowling is an English author.
True, but sad, story.

I love to read. Right now I'm reading a collection of essays written by teenagers on death row. Really hits home.

#4 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2018-05-21 03:01 PM | Reply

#4 What is that called ?

#5 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-05-21 04:07 PM | Reply

No Choirboy
www.goodreads.com

#6 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2018-05-21 04:16 PM | Reply

Always a good time for this...
NSFW
youtu.be

#7 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2018-05-21 04:23 PM | Reply

Thank you.

#8 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-05-21 05:47 PM | Reply

Tfd

#9 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-05-21 05:50 PM | Reply

Always a good time for this...
NSFW
youtu.be
#7 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2018-05-21 04:23 PM

Here's another oldschool piece - cooking by the book - NSFW, but crank up the laptop nonetheless.

#10 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2018-05-21 07:59 PM | Reply

Some of this looks more like an issue of a brain fart in front of a camera and a mic rather than how much people read books.

#11 | Posted by dibblda at 2018-05-22 12:12 PM | Reply

He asked the same questions down South but the only answers he got were "Matthew", "Mark", "Luke", "John", and "Mein Kampf".

#12 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2018-05-22 12:15 PM | Reply

Christians can always name a book. Because for them there IS only one important book.

The rest are the works of the Debbil.

#13 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-05-22 01:31 PM | Reply

I also enjoy reading, but now buy only paperbacks. The front room of my small home contains my personal library of over two thousand books.

One I'm currently reading again is "Treblinka" by Jean-Francois Steiner.

Another favorite is Ken Follett's "On Wings of Eagles."

#14 | Posted by Judity at 2018-05-22 02:01 PM | Reply

When I get a little money I buy books; if any is left I buy food and clothes. - Erasmus

Recently, I am recommending Fantasyland: How America went haywire; a 500 year history. By Kurt Anderson

A very interesting perspective of how we got here.

#15 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-05-22 02:20 PM | Reply

I used to love to read books. Everything from Stephen King to Jimmy Buffett back in the day. Unfortunately, now I read and write so many policy and procedure manuals professionally, that the last thing I want to do at night is read. I have had the same book on my bedside table for 6 months and I can't even tell you what the name of it is. Something about one of the original cattle ranchers in Texas.

#16 | Posted by bogey1355 at 2018-05-22 02:20 PM | Reply

I hate these threads where people brag about reading books.

"its what you're supposed to do you low expectations having mother -------!"

#17 | Posted by truthhurts at 2018-05-22 02:35 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

Not to be buzzkillington here, but this broad-brushing is obnoxious.

On-topic: I struggle the same way that Bogey is describing. As an English teacher, I rarely have the energy to read for pleasure any more. Even in the summers, I'm so fried on reading that I struggle to find the time and motivation. The last year or so I've been actively trying to combat that in order to set a better example for my children. It's working to a degree, but it's still tough.

I'm currently working my way through It, which is my second Stephen King novel. I'm loving it. What a talented voice. It floors me how he can spread the climax of the book through like 100 pages (granted it's nearly 1200 pages to begin with, but still!).

#18 | Posted by dylanfan at 2018-05-22 02:55 PM | Reply

I am rereading the Koran, worse than I remember. Finishing up Jane Auel's Earth's Children series, "The Land of Painted Caves". and I am studying the major Old Testament Prophets. To hours a day is about all my eyes can take.

#19 | Posted by docnjo at 2018-05-22 03:48 PM | Reply

Not to be buzzkillington here, but this broad-brushing is obnoxious.

Oh dear did I offend thee? Pluck it out!

I meant to say Muslims can always name a book, for them there IS only one important book.

(BTW- the topic IS books)

#20 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-05-22 03:50 PM | Reply

Mortal Engines.

I heard it was good.

#21 | Posted by Tor at 2018-05-22 03:53 PM | Reply

"I am rereading the Koran, worse than I remember."

A testament to your subtle theological mind, one supposes.

#22 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-05-22 03:57 PM | Reply

#22 | Posted by DirkStruan I dare you to read it yourself. Tedious, disorganized, the ------ that rote it never finishes a single story he alludes to, and it mostly has a god that creates men solely for damnation and has no love or mercy. I am not a fan of predestination or the self worship Mohammad was into. The Koran has a ugly god. I was curious if the word love ever appears in the text, it does not, not once.

#23 | Posted by docnjo at 2018-05-22 04:42 PM | Reply

IOW you staggered drunkenly through the text, shackled to your preconceptions and, quite unsurprisingly, got nothing out of it but what your confirmation bias could yield. What a pity.

#24 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-05-22 04:48 PM | Reply

Honestly I'm just a big fan of qualifiers. I DO know Christians like that. I'm SURE there are Muslims like that. Likewise I'm quite positive there are a significant number of both Christians and Muslims who enjoy all kinds of literature.

To put my response in perspective, though: I'm a teacher, and generally teachers are just as ready to be done at this point in the school year as kids. I'm a little cranky. ;-)

#25 | Posted by dylanfan at 2018-05-22 04:57 PM | Reply

I'm a little cranky. ;-)

#25 | Posted by dylanfan

No worries mate. I can understand that! AndI am sure I am a bit harsh on xtians and moolsims and the whole batch of religious wing dang doodles.

Especially lately since my faith was fatality shattered forever.

But I strongly feel they are all at the root of most of our problems these days.

#26 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-05-22 05:16 PM | Reply

#24 | Posted by DirkStruan1. 1. You obviously have never read the text. 2. I do not drink any more, interferes with the chemo. If the god of Mohammad rules the afterlife, I prefer hell fire rather than give this mean, spiteful, hateful deity a word of worship.

#27 | Posted by docnjo at 2018-05-22 05:19 PM | Reply

#26 | POSTED BY DONNERBOY AT 2018-05-22 05:16 PM | FLAG:

What a nice, simplistic worldview.

#28 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-05-22 05:23 PM | Reply

The God of the Old Testament can be read in much the same way.... by someone similarly uncharitable.

#29 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-05-22 05:24 PM | Reply

#23 | Posted by docnjo

The Koran was written in Arabic. Of course, the WORD love is not found in the Koran.

Do you read Arabic?

وَ مِنَ النَّاسِ مَنْ يَتَّخِذُ مِنْ دُونِ اللَّهِ أَنْداداً يُحِبُّونَهُمْ كَحُبِّ اللَّهِ وَ الَّذينَ آمَنُوا أَشَدُّ حُبًّا لِلَّهِ وَ لَوْ يَرَى الَّذينَ ظَلَمُوا إِذْ يَرَوْنَ الْعَذابَ
أَنَّ الْقُوَّةَ لِلَّهِ جَميعاً وَ أَنَّ اللَّهَ شَديدُ الْعَذابِ

Among the people are those who set up compeers besides Allah, loving them as if loving Allah but the faithful have a more ardent love for Allah though the wrongdoers will see, when they sight the punishment, that power, altogether, belongs to Allah, and that Allah is severe in punishment (2:165)

Of course, I read that as Allah LOVES to punish Man (the wrongdoers) but the Christian God is just like that, too. The Gods apparently really LOVE to punish us.

#30 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-05-22 05:25 PM | Reply

The Gods apparently really LOVE to punish us.
#30 | POSTED BY DONNERBOY AT 2018-05-22 05:25 PM | FLAG:

"As flies to wanton boys are we to the gods: they kill us for their sport."

-King Lear

#31 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-05-22 05:30 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

God in the Koran is referred to repeatedly as compassionate, merciful, etc. These attributes surely suggest love.

And then we have this wonderful endorsement f cultural pluralism:

"We have appointed a law and a practice for every one of you. Had God willed, He would have made you a single community, but He wanted to test you regarding what has come to you. So compete with each other in doing good. Every one of you will return to God and He will inform you regarding the things about which you differed." (Surat al-Ma'ida, 48)

#32 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-05-22 05:35 PM | Reply

As a Christian, I have love for all other Christians, but as a moderate/liberal Christian, there's a whole bunch of stuff that happens in the broader world of Christianity that makes me shake my head and is hard to justify. That's why I'm often quick to jump on broad brush portrayals: not so much because it isn't true for at least some Christians, but because I know that there are such a wide variety in the world.

Especially lately since my faith was fatality shattered forever.

This makes me sad, but I commend you for being so honest and open. Proselytizing has always made me super uncomfortable (which is ironic since one of the key tenets of Christianity is to spread the Gospel), but I hope whatever caused you that pain resolves itself whether that resolution restores your faith or not.

#33 | Posted by dylanfan at 2018-05-22 05:51 PM | Reply

#30 | Posted by donnerboy Of course the monolingual god of Mohammad can only understand Arabic. I think I'll find a deity that can see into the heart of an individual and understand every language.
#32 | Posted by DirkStruan, I put little value into what men say, but I place a lot of value on what they do. Mohammad was a seventh century warlord. A thief, murderer, serial rapist, pedophile, who unlike any other prophet had his initial revelation in a cave, and never once offered a single sign of his legitimacy. He never made a single prophecy. He did however quote myths found in discredited Christian literature and didn't know the difference between cannon and old wive's tails. He was literate, unlike what Muslims say. "Unlettered" refereed to his ignorance of Greek, the international language of commerce and the Church at the time. He was and is the most successful fraud of all time. Creating a tyrannical government that expands only by the edge of a sword. A legal system without justice, a morality without restraint and a religion that can not be criticized or questioned.

#34 | Posted by docnjo at 2018-05-22 06:14 PM | Reply

"Of course the monolingual god of Mohammad can only understand Arabic."

Both Judaism and Christianity have, historically, also had sacred languages. So much for that complaint.

"I put little value into what men say, but I place a lot of value on what they do."

Thanks for confirming what I said before: you didn't tread the book with any interest in doing anything but confirming your own biases.

#35 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-05-22 06:28 PM | Reply

"He never made a single prophecy."

Nor did many of the prophets of the Old Testament (if your view of prophesy is limited to the prediction of the future).

"Creating a tyrannical government that expands only by the edge of a sword. A legal system without justice, a morality without restraint and a religion that can not be criticized or questioned."

I wonder what people would credit to your religion of choice and what they would chose to disregard (as you disregard the accomplishments of, say, the Islamic Golden Age).

#36 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-05-22 06:34 PM | Reply

Well when I pulled out my well worn copy of Catcher in the Rye the entire film crew disappeared with great haste, lol.

#37 | Posted by bruceaz at 2018-05-22 07:41 PM | Reply

POSTED BY BRUCEAZ AT 2018-05-22 07:41 PM | REPLY

I thought it was catch her in the eye.

#38 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-05-22 07:44 PM | Reply

#36 | Posted by DirkStruan Golden Age? that was not because of Muslims, they got what the remnant of the stuff they didn't destroy and the Kafir scholars they didn't kill in their conquest . It was they who had a habit of burning the great libraries of the world, Alexandria, Damascus, Baghdad, and everything Hindu and Buddhist in India. Your cultural equivalency requires more faith than I will ever have. The Islamic dark age has been going on for 800 years. Spain, not noted for being a center of learning or literature translates more books each year than the entire Islamic world. Islam condemns critical thinking.

#39 | Posted by docnjo at 2018-05-22 08:10 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Golden Age? that was not because of Muslims,"

Sure it was. They organized the whole region, endowed schools and great works of art and architecture.

"they got what the remnant of the stuff they didn't destroy and the Kafir scholars they didn't kill in their conquest."

What nonsense. Read some history, you ignorant grunt. They were essential in preserving and elaborating upon the wisdom of the classical period and made great strides in medicine, philosophy, and mathematics, achieved wonders in art and architecture.

"It was they who had a habit of burning the great libraries of the world, Alexandria, Damascus, Baghdad, and everything Hindu and Buddhist in India."

Exceptions to the rule.

"Your cultural equivalency requires more faith than I will ever have."

Or more knowledge than you will ever get, as the case may be.

"Spain, not noted for being a center of learning or literature translates more books each year than the entire Islamic world."

Well sure. That is what happens when the Islamic world gets colonized and exploited for centuries as a time. It would be like me breaking your legs and then claiming that you don't run around because you are lazy.

"Islam condemns critical thinking."

Centuries of Islamic philosophy and theology prove you wrong, drooling grunt.

Here's a thought: expand your efforts to learn about the world beyond what AM radio, conservative blogs and Politically Incorrect Guides have to teach.

#40 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-05-22 08:22 PM | Reply

Also, since when is translating books the bar by which one evaluates the learnedness of a culture?

#41 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-05-22 08:23 PM | Reply

Docnjo do you know any Muslims, break bread with them? Are they the ones telling you these things?

#42 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-05-22 08:37 PM | Reply

The concept of zero, Algebra, these folks have been making high school students miserable for MCD years.

#43 | Posted by bruceaz at 2018-05-22 08:39 PM | Reply

docnjo is obviously unfamiliar with the etymology of algebra.

astronomy has a lot middle eastern names as well.

#44 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2018-05-22 09:01 PM | Reply

Ibn al-Haytham gave us the scientific method for gods sake.

#45 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2018-05-22 09:07 PM | Reply

How about medicine?

columbiasurgery.org

plato.stanford.edu

#46 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-05-22 09:13 PM | Reply

docnjo is obviously unfamiliar with the etymology of algebra.

His type don't consider history to begin before 1776.

#47 | Posted by REDIAL at 2018-05-22 09:26 PM | Reply

Ibn Sina gave us one of medicine's better early descriptions of diabetes.

#48 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-05-22 11:59 PM | Reply

DOCNJO's loveless Islam clearly excludes this fellow, one of the most famous and popular writers on love in any language:

en.m.wikipedia.org

An especially good example:

LOVE IS THE MASTER

Love is the One who masters all things;
I am mastered totally by Love.
By my passion of love for Love
I have ground sweet as sugar.
O furious Wind, I am only a straw before you;
How could I know where I will be blown next?
Whoever claims to have made a pact with Destiny
Reveals himself a liar and a fool;
What is any of us but a straw in a storm?
How could anyone make a pact with a hurricane?
God is working everywhere his massive Resurrection;
How can we pretend to act on our own?
In the hand of Love I am like a cat in a sack;
Sometimes Love hoists me into the air,
Sometimes Love flings me into the air,
Love swings me round and round His head;
I have no peace, in this world or any other.
The lovers of God have fallen in a furious river;
They have surrendered themselves to Love's commands.
Like mill wheels they turn, day and night, day and night,
Constantly turning and turning, and crying out.

#49 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-05-23 12:06 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

#49 | Posted by DirkStruan You have to elevate an utterly failed political and cultural system beyond all reason to compare with ours. Tolerance? Equal justice under the law? Intellectual liberty? Equality? Your defense of Islam cam only be based in a hate of the West. The values that allow you to be on this form and believe as you wish are anathema in Islam.
Leftism is for any that stand against western values. Have there been bright spots in Islamic culture? Out of the hundreds of millions of human beings that have lived within that system, it would impossible not to have some. But the prime direction of the Islamic system of government, and it is a political and military system as well as a religious one, is one irrecoverably into forced conformity, parochialism, and totalitarianism. Where did the Islamic Republic get their motivation, direction and practice? They were honestly practicing the dogma and legal system of Islam, chapter and verse. Historical ignorance is one of mostly ignoring reality, like the Ottoman Caliphate continually invading eastern Europe well into the 19th century, with atrocities that would look all too familiar today.

#50 | Posted by docnjo at 2018-05-23 05:12 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Leftism is for any that stand against western values.
#50 | POSTED BY DOCNJO

I think you have that backward. Leftism is Western values.

Individual Freedom
Democracy
One person, one vote
Government for the People
etc.

All Liberal values vehemently decried by Conservatives.

#51 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2018-05-23 08:03 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"But the prime direction of the Islamic system of government, and it is a political and military system as well as a religious one, is one irrecoverably into forced conformity, parochialism, and totalitarianism."

Typical Islamophobic drivel. I confront you with a dozen counter arguments to your bigoted idiocy and you respond with sweeping, unsupported generalizations like this.

Why is Islam a political and military system to an extent that Judaism or Christianity or Buddhism are not? How do you account for the existence of a plurality of government types in the Islamic world. How do you account for the history of tolerance in Islam and it's underlying theology? You don't tell us, because you don't know. You just know what you have been told and parrot it without thinking.

#52 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-05-23 11:52 AM | Reply

#53 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-05-23 12:06 PM | Reply

#51 | Posted by TFDNihilist, The left is not liberal, it is authoritarian.
#51 | Posted by TFDNihilist, My attitude and opinion is based upon direct observation, what is your opinion based upon? Tolerance in Islam? It is called dhimitude.
dhimmitude.org

#54 | Posted by docnjo at 2018-05-23 12:55 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

What a good, brainwashed drone you are.

#55 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-05-23 02:47 PM | Reply

#55 | Posted by DirkStruan Our perception is always limited by our senses and our experience. But I seriously doubt my experience is more limited than yours.

#56 | Posted by docnjo at 2018-05-23 06:09 PM | Reply

#56 | POSTED BY DOCNJO AT 2018-05-23 06:09 PM | FLAG:

Some of us try to expand our limits. Fools like you absolutize them.

#57 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-05-23 06:29 PM | Reply

And I suppose we are to think that you experience killing Muslims turned you into... what? A Koranic scholar? A historian?

#58 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-05-23 06:35 PM | Reply

I'm curious if having kids with a black woman turned him racist or if he was racist already.

In his mind, I'm sure he thinks he's no more racist than Thomas Jefferson.

#59 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-05-23 06:45 PM | Reply

#59 | Posted by snoofy, Jefferson never married his 1/4 black life partner, it was not legal at the time. But he lived with her for almost forty years. My ex- was 100% black. and our marriage lasted 25 years. Have you ever done anything for that long?
#58 | Posted by DirkStruan, Actually if I ever fired a weapon at anyone, it was because they were trying to kill me. A situation that I invite you to have to see if you would do differently.
#57 | Posted by DirkStruan, Watching Comedy Central for your news is not expanding your horizons. You have never read the Koran, lived in the Middle East or even been in a Mosque. You never will, but you will defend what you know nothing about on principal?

#60 | Posted by docnjo at 2018-05-24 05:14 AM | Reply

I would put my experience and knowledge of
Islam against yours any day of the week and twice on Sundays, you dumb grunt. You have already had every statement you've made on the subject categorically and repeatedly refuted over the course of this thread.

#61 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-05-24 12:29 PM | Reply

"A situation that I invite you to have to see if you would do differently."

I say "no thanks." Just as you could have, if we are being honest.

#62 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-05-24 12:30 PM | Reply