Thursday, May 17, 2018

Well, it looks like the epidemic of well-meaning white folks (I guess) calling the police or security on black people as they go about their lives is par for the course in 2018 America. It is becoming increasingly clear that although the whites have always had an irrational fear of black people, as they move in closer proximity to them (i.e., via gentrification), they also bring their biases -- along with ironic dive bars and astronomical rents. If you are even a semiregular reader of The Root, you have seen in the last month or so (since the "Starbucks incident") that this type of shit happens every day -- that these attacks (because be clear: When you call the law on black people in America, it is an attack) happen with frightening regularity to black folks from all walks of life.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

This time, a black father was pushing his son in a Washington, D.C., park, and a white woman saw fit to notify park security about "a suspicious man walking the bike path with a baby."

It should make no difference that that man, Donald Sherman, is a professional, a lawyer, because to some folks, he will always be a scary black guy.

Sherman explained in a May 10 Facebook post that on the day in question, his son was not feeling well, so he stayed home with him.

After some time, baby Caleb seemed better, so he took the little guy out for some fresh air at Kingman and Heritage Islands Park, man-made islands in the Anacostia River, not too far from his gentrified neighborhood. Sherman wrote:

30 minutes into our stroll I got flagged by a security officer in one of those cars marked "Special Police" on the side. I was a bit confused as to whether she was looking for me to stop but she honked twice and pulled over so I got the picture. She told me that she received a complaint from someone who said there was a "suspicious man" walking on the bike path with a baby. She said that when the complainant was asked to describe my race, she declined.

What is clear to anyone with eyes, however, is that Sherman is dark-skinned while his son is not, perhaps prompting the woman to think that a black man somehow stole a white baby. I guess.

Sherman noted that the only person he saw on their walk was "a white lady on a bike who veered off as Caleb and I were walking in her direction" and that she was the one who "saw fit to report me to security."

Thankfully, Sherman reported that his interaction with the security officer was "pleasant" and that she just wanted to let him know what happened.

Comments

not even Urkel is safe!

#1 | Posted by truthhurts at 2018-05-17 11:58 AM | Reply

"If you are even a semiregular reader of The Root"

Why on Earth would anyone do that? I've visited there a few times, but many of the stories and user comments make it look like black stormfront.

I'm also automatically categorizing anything that uses the catchphrase "... while black" as coming from people who aren't really trying to be taken seriously but are just looking for clicks. The corporate media sucks.

#2 | Posted by sentinel at 2018-05-17 12:47 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

Is does seem a bit like swatting.

I guess some folks view blacks out in public without chains as suspicious.

#3 | Posted by bored at 2018-05-17 12:50 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"I'm also automatically categorizing anything that uses the catchphrase "... while black" as coming from people who aren't really trying to be taken seriously but are just looking for clicks."

Oh I see.
Are you white?
If so, you're burying your head in the sand.... while white.

#4 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-05-17 01:05 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#4 The same type of people that say the media is ignoring that racism is dead.

#5 | Posted by 726 at 2018-05-17 01:10 PM | Reply

If you want to stay out of trouble, pretend you are Asian.

Not as hard as you think.

#6 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-05-17 01:22 PM | Reply

#5 Racism is alive and well, among all racial groups in almost every country. As long is there any concept of "race", there will always be racism. It will never be eliminated, it can only be minimized or stoked. The corporate media has no interest in minimizing it. They stoke it for profit.

#7 | Posted by sentinel at 2018-05-17 01:24 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

You'll never get it Sentinel. This is for everyone else who might.

#8 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-05-17 01:54 PM | Reply

"The corporate media has no interest in minimizing it. They stoke it for profit."

Are profits bad?
Obviously you don't think so.

So then: Is racism bad?
Doesn't seem like you think racism is bad.

#9 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-05-17 01:59 PM | Reply

I've just accepted that there are busybodies. Sometimes they're right, sometime they're wrong. Some may call because they're racist, but I'd guess most are busybodies first and foremost.

I don't know every detail of these recent "while black" stories, but the few I recall weren't unreasonable. The one family was illegally grilling.
The real eastate lady was a true kook that was put in her place by the cops. Why do we assume she called because he was black? Did she say something racist or bigoted? I honestly don't know.

#10 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2018-05-17 02:26 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

#10 I agree that it's good to not be quick to assume malicious intent.

#11 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-05-17 02:54 PM | Reply

This is the fault of everyone who's cheered on the Security State.
All day long I see and hear, "If you see something, say something". True your average American tends to be more suspicious of brown people than others, but the attitude of codifying paranoia of the present day is a huge factor.

#12 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2018-05-17 03:24 PM | Reply

The sight of a black man pushing his child in a stroler without his wife should make white people happy.

Insecure men can't do this and the worst parts of modern black american culturevseem to be driven by poverty, violence and insecurity.

#13 | Posted by Tor at 2018-05-17 06:33 PM | Reply

Every article of clothing has ZERO gangsta flava, this man is the exact opposite of what the Starbucks dudes were wearing.

I wonder if he speaks like Rick James? Could that be found suspicious while strolling?

Just based on appearance this guy seems like a perfect dad doing perfect dad stuff. He types like he was offended, but I suspect he understands how crazy specific people can get.

#14 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2018-05-18 04:33 PM | Reply