Tuesday, May 15, 2018

In 1920, the night before Easter Sunday, Otto Loewi woke up, seemingly possessed of an important idea. He wrote it down on a piece of paper and promptly returned to sleep. When he reawakened, he found that his scribbles were illegible. But fortunately, the next night, the idea returned. It was the design of a simple experiment that eventually proved something Loewi had long hypothesized: Nerve cells communicate by exchanging chemicals, or neurotransmitters. The confirmation of that idea earned him a Nobel Prize in medicine in 1936.

Comments

I used to hate the term "let me sleep on it", but many years ago I realized the value of sleep in problem solving.

As Madeline Kuhn said in Blazing Saddles, "Eets twoo, eets twoo".

www.google.com

#1 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2018-05-15 01:36 PM | Reply

So, in REM sleep, "these traits allows the neocortex to unconsciously search for similarities between seemingly unrelated concepts like, say, the way the planets revolve around the sun and the way electrons orbit the nucleus of an atom."

Concepts that seem unrelated to us in normal brain function may indeed be related in reality... which may be why entanglement makes more sense on psychotropic drugs.

#2 | Posted by Corky at 2018-05-15 02:45 PM | Reply

A New Theory?

No, it's an old theory.

#3 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-05-15 03:59 PM | Reply

I've been lucid dreaming for years... it is very helpful

#4 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2018-05-15 04:03 PM | Reply

lmao.... you have trouble with lucid waking, Trumpublican, much-less dreaming.

#5 | Posted by Corky at 2018-05-15 04:04 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Whoa Corky

Careful where you point that thing!

That's rightIStrite...

pretty sure he ain't no Trumpster...

#6 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-05-15 04:11 PM | Reply

Yeah, it's like former GW voters who now don't exist... only in their dreams.

#7 | Posted by Corky at 2018-05-15 04:12 PM | Reply

I've been lucid dreaming for years... it is very helpful

#4 | POSTED BY RIGHTISTRITE

I've been aware at times when I was dreaming that I was actually dreaming. In all but one instance, I was able to convince myself that the bad thing that was happening in my dream wasn't real because it didn't comport with a certain well-known fact about my life, or whatever.

Only once when I realized I was dreaming did it occur to me to try and do something I knew I could do in a dream, but not in real life. I got kind of excited and decided I felt like breathing under water. So I did it. It was a lot of fun and felt very self-empowering. Shortly thereafter, I woke up.

#8 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-05-15 04:48 PM | Reply

I was told to look at your hands in a dream and you can control it.

So I did. And it is not easy. But, I was having a recurring dream about tanks but I could never finish it. (I used to drive a tank once) I finally got control of the dream and I took that tank on a rampage and killed all the enemies and monsters of my dream (it was a a very involved dream).

I don't know what it means (though I have an idea)but it was an excellent dream. I have had many others (even better) since. I feel bad for people who cannot remember their dreams.

Dreaming is a very important part of Life.

#9 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-05-15 05:35 PM | Reply

Once, in my teens, I dreamed how to play the bass line from "Boogie, Oogie, Oogie" by a Taste of Honey. Then when I woke up, I could play it.
Issac Asimov said that his books came to him in dreams verbatim, he just woke up and wrote it down.

#10 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2018-05-15 06:04 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

-look at your hands in a dream and you can control it.

That's a very cool technique we learned in college psych studying Carlos Castaneda... or Mental Anchoring as it has been called.

theluciddreamsite.com

#11 | Posted by Corky at 2018-05-15 06:11 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Our sick society tells people that resting=lazy. Capitalists have sold the myth that good people work so hard they don't get much sleep.

Trump brags about only sleeping 4-5 hours a night.

He's really bragging about having diminished cognitive abilities.

#12 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2018-05-15 06:21 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I was about to go onstage with Frank Zappa but couldn't find my guitar cord - I looked through all the lockers in a school. It was very frustrating. I never did find the cord and now about once a year I dream it all again, but now it's with different bands. Always frustrating. I guess Frank got tired of waiting.

#13 | Posted by uncle_meat at 2018-05-15 06:30 PM | Reply

I'm one of those people who almost never remembers my dreams. I fall asleep and then wake up 6.5 hours later with as far as I know nothing happening between. According to my watch I get REM sleep and a decent amount I usually clock in at about 75% sleep quality.

As far as problem solving in my sleep it still seems to work even though I don't remember the dream process as I will frequently wake up with an epiphany regarding issues I fell asleep thinking about.

One of the upsides to not remembering your dreams is it gives you an interesting outlook on death since I have no memory of sleeping I sort of have a mental preparation for death in that non-existence is not something I have trouble visualizing. In fact any sort of afterlife is harder for me to visualize than simply stopping at death. As a result I don't really fear death, not to say I seek it out, I enjoy life too much, but I don't worry about it.

#14 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2018-05-15 07:16 PM | Reply

#14 | Posted by TaoWarrior

Do you smoke lots of weed?

#15 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2018-05-15 07:32 PM | Reply

Students Nightmare...Cant find the test room, didnt study, running late.

Traveler's Night Mare...Cant find the gate, cant find the tickets, too much luggage, running late.

Air Traffic Controller nightmare...cant transmit, cant see the radar screen, dont know the runway configuration.

Driving on mountain side road, but cant turn tight enough to avoid driving off the road into the abyss.

Fighting nightmare...plenty of swinging, but cant land a punch.

Actors Nightmare...about to go on stage, dont know the play, dont know the lines, standing just off stage trying to read the script.

Golf Nightmare...can never get an open shot and the balls are lumpy, not round. Every shot is an unplayable lie.

These were pretty much my dreams for years, basically the same plot draped over something innocuous that I did pretty well when awake.

Then, about 10 yrs ago, the dreams of frustration diminished to nearly never. Phobedor, god of nightmares, must have decided he had effed with me enough already, and moved on to torment some other mope.

Dreams much more lucid since then. Generally pleasant.

Anybody else suffer these types of dreams?

#16 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2018-05-15 07:35 PM | Reply

#16 yes, and what bothers me most is I don't seem to have much of an imagination when I'm awake, yet I go through these wild problem solving things with crazy machines and wild situations. I wake up exhausted.

A while back I had a few beers and smoked some dried peyote. No dreams, it was wonderful.

#17 | Posted by bruceaz at 2018-05-15 07:48 PM | Reply

I have the sickest dreams. Disturbing, plot driven, in full color, sometimes even smell. Alien invasions, angels fighting devils, and things like that. Normally though there's the recurring anxiety dreams. I'm waiting tables (haven't been in food service in almost 20 years) and missed a shift, or don't know where my tables are. It's the last couple days of college and I realize I forgot to formally drop a class that's going to affect my GPA and I'm not going to graduate on time. Or I find out that my school miscalculated my credits and are revoking my diploma. The best dreams I've gotten out of bed to write down. When I was taking Larium when I was in Peru I had some of the most amazing dreams of my life. Chantix when I quit smoking was pretty good too.

#18 | Posted by Hagbard_celine at 2018-05-15 08:00 PM | Reply

Anybody else suffer these types of dreams?

#16 | POSTED BY OLDWHISKEYSOUR

In a very intense radar class I got stuck in a schematic and could not find my way out. I still can feel how that dream felt and it's been 20 years.

#19 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-05-15 08:21 PM | Reply

Speaks,

I wouldn't say a lot but some. I actually read about weed making it so you didn't remember dreaming.

Thing is it has always been that way for me. Fun fact I am an avid daydreamer and as a kid when I first heard people talking about dreams I assumed they meant daydreams. It was quite a shock to me when I realized they meant sleeping dreams. Nightmares are something I only know from reading and hearing about them, never had one of my own.

So this predates weed and since first smoking there have been times when I went years without, the lack of dream(memory) thing has just always been a part of my life.

#20 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2018-05-15 10:00 PM | Reply

Anybody else suffer these types of dreams?

#16 | POSTED BY OLDWHISKEYSOUR

Yes. I go through stretches were it seems like every dream I have sucks big time.

Finding myself naked in public.

Needing to take a dump and can't find a toilet that isn't absolutely disgusting or, trying to take a dump and people keep walking into my space.

Getting lost in a bad and dangerous neighborhood.

Parking my car and then not being able to find it.

Being horribly late for something important and everything i do to try and get to my destination takes forever.

Being chased by a hunter/predator and no matter how creative I get in trying to escape I'll round a corner and the predator will be right there.

Getting into horrible arguments with loved ones.

Playing a sport that I played for years, like basketball, and being just horrible - unable to do even the most basic tasks.

Struggling mightily with the most simple tasks. Example, trying to make a phone call and repeatedly hitting a wrong button, over and over again.

Being terrified because an actual demon, a biblical demon, is in the room with me.

We had a yellow lab for 14 years and put her down in 2011. She frequently visits me in my dreams, as recently as last night. I enjoy that tremendously.

I sometimes dream that I'm taking college classes with an important exam coming out and it turns out I missed class, unintentionally, for weeks.

#21 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-05-16 12:05 AM | Reply

This is a most excellent thread. I really enjoy comparing everything - and I'm stealing "every shot is an unplayable lie".

My nightmares.. there are two distinct types. One I feel long before I'm ready for bed. Those are very terrifying and mostly blank paralysis.

The other are disasters. I have a recurring nightmare of a flood where I have to confront someone, but the flood is returning. This is a continuing story, but one nightmare I bravely followed the water far down river to a metal city on the water where most everyone speaks hybrid Chinese and I liberate a telepathic chimpanzee creature from some junkie rich kids apartment. It tries to give me something, but I don't remember what. Maybe the kids drugs? Long nightmare short, I end up taking the river back home, but it's now the future and everyone I care for are much better off without me in their lives. They are in fact stunned that I exist at all, and argue. Seeing their utopia and being rejected by them turns into an unpleasant emotional experience considering how much I wanted to return home to my family the entire nightmare.

Another recurring dream I'm exploring an unoccupied city, obsessing over kitchen drawers turning transparent, lack of doors and the general fluid architecture. One time I'm in an occupied area and decide to risk interacting. There are small cabins tucked in along each walkway, all doorless and similar - but the main gathering area is wide open with large buildings. I try to blend in, and follow people meandering into a circular room that maybe seats 50 along it's parameter with a cube-thing in the center. Some people were looking at it, all I saw was a dull white "surface", but suddenly everyone got silent and were watching me. Some people giggled - it took me a moment to realize that I was on the "television" that I couldn't watch and they knew that. What a conundrum.

#22 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2018-05-16 04:53 AM | Reply

I remember very few dreams.

When it comes to problem solving, I find that just stepping away helps.

Most often a solution comes to me when I am walking the dogs, just not paying attention, or actually thinking about the problem, suddenly a solution will just pop into my head.

This has happened many times.

Kind of the same principle, let the brain rest, it is processing in the background.

Sort of like when I cannot remember someone's name, the more I try to remember their name the less success I have. If I start talking about something else, somewhere in the middle of the conversation their name will come to me.

#23 | Posted by sawdust at 2018-05-16 08:17 AM | Reply

#22 | POSTED BY REDLIGHTROBOT

For some strange reason, when I read your post it made me think of The Kubla Khan. :-)

#24 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-05-16 10:38 AM | Reply

Last night I was much more aware that I was dreaming and I really impressed some friends and family members by doing a bit of flying. It was fun.

#25 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-05-16 10:39 AM | Reply

#25 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-05-16 10:39 AM

Flight in my sleep is more like floating and pushing, usually limited to certain people and during an invasion nightmare. It's astonishing seeing a battleship floating at an angle just overhead. Also appearing as part of a real airplane they remain stationary, just floating in the sky, maybe unable to land, but I see a small group of what look like Robocop on the ground a few blocks away. I'm running up a loose dirt hill as fast as possible to warn my friends who are gathered in a house at the top - the invaders always know where I am and are en route. One specific friend can fly and has to help float the others out - but can only take two people. I always go back to confront the damned robocops just as everyone escapes but I can't remember any of it.

I don't have super powers in my dreams, but my friends do.

#26 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2018-05-16 01:55 PM | Reply

Thanks for the Khan vision poem - any friend of Byron.. :]

#27 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2018-05-16 01:57 PM | Reply

-Finding myself naked in public.
Parking my car and then not being able to find it.
doing a bit of flying.

Jeffy.... those are a few we have in common, and are in fact common to many people. Here's some info about them:

www.collective-evolution.com