Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Dan Nosowitz: The other day, I found myself looking at a blinking cursor in a blank address bar in a new tab of my web browser. I was bored. I didn't really feel like doing work, but I felt some distant compulsion to sit at my computer in a kind of work-simulacrum, so that at least at the end of the day I would feel gross and tired in the manner of someone who had worked. What I really wanted to do was waste some time.

Comments

I was going to title this "Dan Nosowitz needs to kill himself", but I went with the original title.

#1 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-05-15 07:18 AM | Reply

Drudge.Com needs to be entered into the comments section of the article. Don't sleep Helium.

#2 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-05-15 09:46 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"here I was, reading the news. It was even worse than working."

I look at cute/dopey looking animal pics on Reddit with my daughter when things get that bad.

#3 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2018-05-15 11:00 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Back in high school, when 56k was lightning fast, my friends and I would spend a lot of time on DALnet IRC. With a few simple commands, one could find out the main moderator's handle of any given channel, and then change our handle to match. We'd log on to the channel with the new handle, and convince one of the other moderators to give us full moderator privileges. Something like, "Hey guys, how's it going? What the hell, I lost my moderator privileges, DALnet must be acting up again." Once we were granted full moderator privileges, we would ban everybody from the channel, effectively shutting it down. We did this to hundreds of channels, until finally DALnet got a hold of our ISP, who promptly shut all its users out from using DALnet. The ISP eventually showed up at our high school, where they, the principle, and our parents gave us a lecture and we were all banned from DALnet for one year. Of course all our fellow classmates thought we were "hackers", which was super cool in the 90s. We knew we weren't actually hacking, but we let our peers think that anyway. Good times.

#4 | Posted by horstngraben at 2018-05-15 11:45 AM | Reply

Ask pinchmypud, he knows all about wasting time on the internet.

#5 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2018-05-15 01:13 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

There's this thing on the net. I won't say exactly what. My only clue is that it ends with the letters "ornography'

Good luck Sir.