Monday, May 14, 2018

You have probably seen dramatic images and videos of several new fissure eruptions cracking open the land surface in Hawaii, emitting plumes of gas, and spitting up fountains of lava in the middle of a residential neighborhood. If you are tracking Kilauea's eruptions, the U.S. Geological Survey Hawaiian Volcano Observatory (HVO) and Hawaii County Civil Defense are the best sources for the latest information. HVO releases status reports, photos, videos, maps, and near-real time data that are invaluable to understanding what is happening. Hawaii County issues frequent alerts with details about evacuations, road closures, and the status of utilities.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Nasa's Earth Observatory posted links to the various government and science websites posting information about the volcanic eruption. The blog post gives links to the government agencies charged with sending out alerts.

Comments

Interesting stuff in the article... I have been following the actual news but not the science. I'd love to see what is going on underground that is causing these fissures to appear.

#1 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2018-05-14 04:26 PM | Reply

I subscribe to that site, Very Good.

#2 | Posted by bat4255 at 2018-05-14 06:51 PM | Reply

News seems to be sensationalizing the "big blow" aspect, if the lava pool drops to the water (basin) creating a bunch of steam under the piled up debris.

"It may happen!

...or it may not."

#3 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2018-05-14 07:04 PM | Reply

(basin)=(basin?)

#4 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2018-05-14 07:04 PM | Reply

"It may happen!

I predict something is definitely going to happen!

#5 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-05-14 07:36 PM | Reply

I've been following this in passing since a few days after it started.

What intrigued me was when I looked where the residential neighborhood is on Google Maps. Because at first I was all "who'd build a house on an active volcano" until I saw how far away this is from the cone.

Sort of makes you wonder how prone many areas of that island are to a fissure suddenly opening and burying your house in 6ft+ of magma.

#6 | Posted by jpw at 2018-05-14 08:56 PM | Reply

...a fissure suddenly opening and burying your house in 6ft+ of magma.

It doesn't even take that much. I was there in the late 80's and there was a small lava flow (like about 3 feet wide and a foot high) drooling it's way to the ocean and it still set fire to anything it got close to. I went to the place where it was hitting the water and it was one of the nastiness places I've ever been. Kinda like heavy drizzle with ground glass in it for miles.

#7 | Posted by REDIAL at 2018-05-14 09:31 PM | Reply

I always wanted to witness that sort of thing in person. Your description makes me think otherwise.

The six foot reference was a rough guestimate based on videos (ie the Ford Mustang getting eaten) of the size of those flows. Fascinating but unnerving to watch.

#8 | Posted by jpw at 2018-05-14 11:44 PM | Reply