Sunday, May 13, 2018

A university student stripped off in class after claiming her professor said her clothes were "too short" for public speaking. Letitia Chai, 18, said she wanted to stand up "against oppressive beliefs and discrimination" when she orchestrated a strip protest at Cornell University in New York on Saturday. Livestreaming the demonstration on Facebook , Letitia explained she was "floored" by support after she called for solidarity following a row with her professor.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Letitia clashed with professor Maggor on Wednesday as she prepared to present a draft of her thesis on rehabilitation for displaced people and refugees.

Letitia, who was wearing a long-sleeve blue button-down shirt and denim cut-off shorts in class on Wednesday, claimed the "first thing" her professor said to her was 'is that really what you want to wear?'

Stunned Letitia also claimed professor Maggor told her that her shorts were "too short" and that as a speaker she was making a "statement" through the clothes she was wearing, The Cornell Sun reports.

In a Facebook post, which is no longer available, Letitia wrote: "The first thing that the professor said to me was 'is that really what you would wear?'

"She, a white woman, continued: 'Your shorts are too short'.

"The professor proceeded to tell me, in front of my whole class, that I was inviting the male gaze away from the content of my presentation and onto my body.

"She said I was making a statement by wearing my outfit. I told her that I sure as hell wouldn't change my statement to make her or anyone else feel more comfortable."

Comments

She, a white woman

What in hell has this to do with the teacher being white???

Is she implying that that Asians or any other ethnicity are OK with public nudity? That white people are prudes?

Or that white people have no right to tell her to do whatever?

Racist much, luv?

Anyway, I bet she's popular. People love seeing Asian girls with as little clothes on as possible. (FACT!)

#1 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-05-14 12:00 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

www.mirror.co.uk

#2 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-05-14 12:01 AM | Reply

Oh, I see, you put "Asian student" in the headline because Chai referred to her professor as a "white woman." Was that supposed to make a point? (I agree that the professor's whiteness is irrelevant.)

#3 | Posted by pragmatist at 2018-05-14 08:07 AM | Reply

Don't show this thread to Mike Pence.

Make America Prudish Again

#4 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-05-14 08:20 AM | Reply

you put "Asian student" in the headline because

My mistake. She is clearly a blonde Scandinavian.

I need glasses.....

#5 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-05-14 08:32 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

But was she barefoot?

#6 | Posted by boaz at 2018-05-14 02:12 PM | Reply

The university's student newspaper, The Cornell Daily Sun, reported that 28 out of 44 people in the room to watch Letitia's presentation removed their clothes as well in a show of support.

Nice.

And since I didnt see any mathmatics or equasions on the screen, I can only assume she's probably a gender studies student.

#7 | Posted by boaz at 2018-05-14 02:18 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"She, a white woman, continued: 'Your shorts are too short'.

The Asian student totally misses the professor's point, which I assume the prof would have made to a white student dressed in the same way. The prof was trying to tell the student that she wasn't dressed in the most appropriate way (i.e. professionally) for a presentation in an academic or business situation, especially if your topic is "rehabilitation for displaced people and refugees".

#8 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-05-14 02:28 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Letitia Chai, 18, said she attempted to stand up "against oppressive beliefs and discrimination" when she engaged in a strip protest at Cornell University in New York.

In which case, to fully make her point, she should have taken off her underwear as well. Making sure, of course, to connect her nakedness with her presentation topic of "rehabilitation for displaced people and refugees".

#9 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-05-14 02:33 PM | Reply

Boaz yes she was barefoot it's in the video.

As to her point it is ridiculous that we place the burden of people's gaze being distracted on the woman and not the person who looks. I guess that is more of the "personal responsibility" I keep hearing about.

#10 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2018-05-14 02:48 PM | Reply

More accurate headline:

Feminist nutjob does striptease in class.

#11 | Posted by nullifidian at 2018-05-14 02:51 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

"But try this in the real world, she will be looking for a job forever outside of academia."

A University is not the "real world" now? What planet do you live on?

Maybe she should have worn a burka so that her very existence doesn't wrongfully excite someone and make them think bad thoughts.

Bad thoughts will get you sent you to the corn field.

#12 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-05-14 02:52 PM | Reply

People usually do look at the person standing up in front of them giving a presentation.

#13 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-05-14 02:52 PM | Reply

#9 | POSTED BY GAL_TUESDAY

Exactly. Stripping down to her undergarments was no different in appearance than wearing a bikini.

#14 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-05-14 02:56 PM | Reply

The teacher has a point, but her mode of teaching it is faulty.

She should've allowed the student to give her (practice) presentation, and then asked the class how they responded, and whether the chosen attire affected their response. Also, involve the student, and ask how she plans to dress, and what importance she believes is placed on attire. Ideally, that leads to a discussion of what is or should be appropriate, and why.

Using students for target practice is never a good idea.

Since the class was Acting Out in Public, she gets an A+ for that part of the assignment. The fact the teacher's point is well-taken--that folks DO judge you by how you dress--exemplifies the academic bubble between the idealistic and the realistic.

#15 | Posted by Danforth at 2018-05-14 03:00 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

at about 1:48 I thought she was going to take her panties off.

damn tease......

#16 | Posted by eberly at 2018-05-14 03:01 PM | Reply

And hirers sure as hell won't hire you. Are you comfortable with that?

#17 | Posted by Danforth at 2018-05-14 03:02 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"The teacher has a point, but her mode of teaching it is faulty.
Using students for target practice is never a good idea."

All excellent points. Since this is what appears to be an end of the semester assignment, however, I wonder if any of those points and tactics hadn't already been used and covered.

#18 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-05-14 03:08 PM | Reply

#19 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2018-05-14 03:08 PM | Reply

"Gal you might have a point if her shorts were actually short. From what I saw they were pretty normal length. Much longer and they would have been capris.
Yes it could have been a teaching moment about casual dress vs business attire but for a college student those are pretty tame and certainly not worthy of comment by the teacher nor would they be terribly distracting for most males."

I think it is unfortunate that the focus is on the short shorts and male gaze as opposed to the broader topic of "casual dress vs business attire". I'm assuming the teacher didn't comment on the way this student dresses when she was not presenting, and I'm also assuming the prof didn't comment on the attire of those students in the class who weren't presenting that day. I'm assuming that because the article states:

The professor said that she doesn't tell her students what to wear or determines "appropriate dress".

And 11 out of 14 students declared Letitia's comments did not accurately reflect events in the classroom.

The students issued a joint statement in which they said professor Maggor's comment had "error in phrasing" but the thrust of her point was to note the ‘the importance of professionalism in certain public speaking situations."

#20 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-05-14 03:18 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Ok fair point and I'll admit to commenting without hearing both sides. My history with school administrators and female attire typically has placed me at odds with the administration and on the side of the student so I'm not objective on this.

I'll also almost always support a woman's right to wear as little as she wants. I enjoy looking and can do so without being distracted or even leering.

#21 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2018-05-14 03:27 PM | Reply

"According to Letitia, the professor later asked her what her mother would think of her clothes after she left the room."

This is the one comment the professor made that I do question. Who cares what the student's mother thinks? What would future employers and colleagues think?

#22 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-05-14 03:38 PM | Reply

I enjoy looking and can do so without being distracted or even leering.

www.daraz.pk

Yep.

#23 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-05-14 04:03 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#23 | POSTED BY J_TREMAIN

It took me a minute, but I get where you were going with that. FF.

#24 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-05-14 04:04 PM | Reply

This is goofy but hardly scandalous. Her undergarments were more modest than most swimwear.

College is a good time to try out ideas and make some mistakes.

#25 | Posted by rcade at 2018-05-14 05:13 PM | Reply

College is a good time to try out ideas and make some mistakes.

#25 | POSTED BY RCADE

I was hoping she'd strip down to her birthday suit...and that she'd be hot.

#26 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-05-14 05:17 PM | Reply

College is a good time to try out ideas and make some mistakes.

College is also where you should be learning how to act in a professional environment.

Let her try something stupid like this in a boardroom or a newsroom. It's not professional and that's clearly what a presentation like this is supposed to be.

This is an example of what's wrong with today's generation.

#27 | Posted by boaz at 2018-05-14 05:20 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

"This is an example of what's wrong with today's generation."

They express their opinions, and you don't like their opinions?

#28 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-05-14 05:32 PM | Reply

This is an example of what's wrong with today's generation.

#27 | Posted by boaz

No this is an example of what is wrong with YOU.

Because this is a example of what is RIGHT with today's generation.

They speak out and stand up for what they believe in and their actions reflect what they believe.

#29 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-05-14 06:38 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

They express their opinions, and you don't like their opinions?

There are times to express your opinions and times not to. We need to be teaching there's a right time and place to do things.

This girl was wrong. People like you telling her it's ok to get naked just because someone said her shorts were too short are also the problem.

What she did was not professional and did not belong in an academic setting. In reality, what she did was a form of sexual harassment. But you wont see it that way.

#30 | Posted by boaz at 2018-05-14 06:45 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

"what she did was a form of sexual harassment."

Really? Who got sexually harassed?

#31 | Posted by eberly at 2018-05-14 06:54 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

As has been pointed out her underwear was less revealing than many swimsuits. I hope you never go to the beach or you will just be so sexually harassed. No T or A was revealed therefor the comparison to scholngs is not apt. More like a guy stripping down to boxers.

Frankly our societies obsession with covering is IMHO not healthy. Heck the whole concept of a swimsuit is just really odd when you think about it.

We do have to conform to societal expectations but once again IMHO that is done pretty well in our prison like high schools while college is a chance for kids to push the boundaries before they have to face a lifetime bound by the "rules" of society.

#32 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2018-05-14 06:59 PM | Reply

#7 | POSTED BY BOAZ AT 2018-05-14 02:18 PM | REPLY | FLAG:

Try reading the summary at least, you lazy b******:

#33 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2018-05-14 07:10 PM | Reply

and make some mistakes.

#25 | POSTED BY RCADE

Glad this was emphasized. She threw a tantrum because she was offended (micro?) by her teacher's comments that she probably perceived to be personal in nature and not specifically tied to the assignment.

Had this been a business class, part of the grade would have been business attire. I've been there, done that. Since there weren't any stipulations placed upon the assignment as such, I believe the student has a decent point to make with the teacher and the teacher's curriculum. That doesn't warrant throwing the teacher under the bus like this.

What exactly was the point she was trying to make? That the teacher was being oppressive for judging her clothing before a big presentation? One that would significantly factor into the final grade? Yeah, that's a teacher prepping a student for a situation where you are not protected by the classroom, classmates, or administration. That's a teacher prepping a student for a professional environment that is ultimately underwritten by judgement, and yes (important lesson to be learned here for all feminists) that includes based on looks.

There's nuance here for the two actors to discuss, but the student went beyond discussion and ultimately shouted down the teacher via her actions. The student's intended context just did not fit the scenario. Cooler heads should have prevailed; good teaching moment in the least, which is exactly what the teacher was trying to do in the first place. The student took personal offense; what a shame.

#34 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2018-05-14 07:21 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

This is an example of what's wrong with today's generation.
#27 | POSTED BY BOAZ

More freedom to express themselves beyond the confines and taboo structures put in place by society?

Thanks, BOOOMERS!!

Remember, BOAZ, it's the former generations that set the stage for latter generations' flaws and defects.

#35 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2018-05-14 07:24 PM | Reply

What the professor did was not professional. This was the students reaction to that. And in fact, it was the perfect place to do it.

The person who did the harassing was the professor. This is the students reaction to that. And it was a very healthy reaction and a way to express herself and make a point. That you cannot see that speaks volumes.

Would you rather she hold it all inside until she can't hold it in any more and then somewhere down the road she decides to take revenge on her humiliation in front of that class by expressing herself by shooting up the place?

#36 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-05-14 07:25 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#30 | POSTED BY BOAZ

The male equivalent to what she did was already acknowledged up thread.

The little credibility you have is undermined by hyperbolic nonsense like your #30.

Right when I agree with your general point (re: professionalism, etc.), you blow it all up with crap like that.

Not even entertaining anymore. Just sad.

#37 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2018-05-14 07:27 PM | Reply

What the professor did was not professional.

Dig deep with me.

How so?

#38 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2018-05-14 07:28 PM | Reply

She done good!
~wheeze snort

#39 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2018-05-14 07:59 PM | Reply

~wheeze snort

Is that how it werks for you these days?

#40 | Posted by Corky at 2018-05-14 08:00 PM | Reply

I'm 90% sure that she's older than 18. It's gross that the publisher would age her down to up the scandalous/sex factor

#41 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2018-05-14 08:04 PM | Reply

What the professor did was not professional.

You have got to be kidding..

#42 | Posted by boaz at 2018-05-14 08:15 PM | Reply

"But let a man pullout his ------- in front of a woman in a professional setting, you would be calling for him to lose his job and his freedom.
#30 | POSTED BY BOAZ"

And you'd be voting for him for President.

#43 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-05-14 08:20 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

What the professor did was not professional.
Dig deep with me.
How so?

#38 | POSTED BY RSTYBEACH11

#44 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-05-15 10:59 AM | Reply

"You don't try to humiliate a student in front of the class. A professional would take her aside and discussed her clothing choices with her in private. The student acted appropriately considering the situation. I thought it was an excellent nonviolent and creative response."

IMO, the teacher wasn't trying to humiliate the student the front of the class. She was drawing attention to the inappropriateness of her attire when giving a formal presentation on the topic of "rehabilitation for displaced people and refugees". The student proceeded to throw a narcissistic temper tantrum by taking off her clothes. How exactly does that help the serious cause she was purporting to champion? I'd say it doesn't, but she is young and an academic setting is a learning environment and a better place to make mistakes than is the work place. Hopefully, she will do better in the future if, for example, she is making a presentation for a grant proposal on behalf services for the "rehabilitation for displaced people and refugees".

#45 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-05-15 08:05 PM | Reply

My sentiments exactly.

#46 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2018-05-15 09:18 PM | Reply

You don't try to humiliate a student in front of the class.

Context is important. Other students in the class stipulated that the professor was not out of line, whether the student felt humiliated or not.

How many times have you heard or seen a teacher/professor offer constructive criticism about professional dress? I've seen and heard it plenty both when I was a student and now as a professional educator. The student in question was used as an example for what not to do in a presentation. There is no harm in pointing that out, so that everyone in the room learns a valuable lesson.

I totally disagree. You're saying the professor was obligated to pull the student aside in private, yet the student was in the right to disrespect the teacher and other students? Where's the humility? If the student truly felt wronged, why not do the appropriate thing and report the professor to the dean? That has done wonders in my experience when dealing with unnecessarily difficult professors. This student took it upon herself to "get back" at the professor in the only way she knew how: emotional outburst. My, my, how mature. But should we actually expect such maturity from teenagers? Apparently not. Apparently, we should expect nothing but emotional outbursts from our teens in response to situations that make them uncomfortable.

Great standard you're setting for our future generations, DONNER!

I thought it was an excellent nonviolent and creative response.

I don't understand why you need to acknowledge the "nonviolent" aspect to this scenario; it's a complete non sequitur.

#47 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2018-05-15 09:31 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1