Monday, May 14, 2018

Most people, when they retire, get a gold watch. James Harrison deserves so much more than that. Harrison, known as the "Man With the Golden Arm," has donated blood nearly every week for 60 years. After all those donations, the 81-year-old Australian man "retired" Friday. The occasion marked the end of a monumental chapter. According to the Australian Red Cross Blood Service, he has helped saved the lives of more than 2.4 million Australian babies.

Comments

And I thought it was cool to be lucky enough to be O- (universal donor), which I actually had to use in the army once when they really needed blood due to an accident on base. But this guy....

#1 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-05-13 01:52 AM | Reply

I imagine there might be a possible safe and natural abortion technique available through this knowledge.

You're welcome!

#2 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2018-05-13 02:32 AM | Reply

"I like babies that don't need saving."

#3 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-05-13 03:04 PM | Reply

This is actually very cool. I knew about rhesus disease and had heard of Anti-D but never know how it came to be. Seems like that should be something they could synthesize at this point.

Well - at 81 I'd say he had a good run as a weekly donor...

#4 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2018-05-14 04:32 PM | Reply

"Seems like that should be something they could synthesize at this point. "

Indeed. Kinda surprising how goat blood is needed to run most any blood test your doctor might order.

The endgame for a whole lot of industrial outputs is going to be, not what we can synthesize through physical chemistry, but how we can harness biological processes to synthesize what we want to be building in the first place.

Biofuels for example. Why go through the trouble of invading countries where the oil is when we can just grow algae anywhere to make biofuels?

#5 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-05-14 04:45 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

There are synthetic bloods but they have limited use because of risk of rejection. I am O- and have been awaiting a kidney transplant for 4 years. Could be tomorrow could be years to come. Dialysis is working well for me and I am still able to work full time.

Before my kidneys failed I used to donate regularly. Each time I donated I made an appointment for the minimum required wait period and more than once I was called in early to fill baby bags or for a local emergency. I have the dot. Do you? I want them to use whatever pieces and parts they can to save or improve the lives of others when I go. I encourage anyone reading this to sign up for donation.

#6 | Posted by hatter5183 at 2018-05-14 05:04 PM | Reply

this man saves them and the Democrats abort them

#7 | Posted by Maverick at 2018-05-14 05:48 PM | Reply

Republicans deny them food, housing, medical attention and education and everything else they need once they are born

#8 | Posted by hatter5183 at 2018-05-14 06:27 PM | Reply

this man saves them and then the cops kill the ones the democrats don't abort.

This is fun, let's keep it going!

#9 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-05-14 08:24 PM | Reply

#5 | Posted by snoofy

Exactly. And when it comes to biofuels - it isn't even that much growing area that is required.

#10 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2018-05-14 09:03 PM | Reply

#6 | Posted by hatter5183

They won't take my blood - gout. That and foreign travel...

#11 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2018-05-14 09:05 PM | Reply

#11 gout, you poor bastard, folks have no idea.
Going through an episode in my wrist and elbow right now.

Feet and knees normally so I feel fortunate.

#12 | Posted by bruceaz at 2018-05-14 09:36 PM | Reply

They won't take my blood - gout. That and foreign travel...

#11 | POSTED BY GALAXIEPETE AT 2018-05-14 09:05 PM | REPLY

#11 gout, you poor bastard, folks have no idea.
Going through an episode in my wrist and elbow right now.
Feet and knees normally so I feel fortunate.

#12 | POSTED BY BRUCEAZ A

Gout. Horrific affliction. Had my first serious flare-up when I was 24. Didn't realize it was gout at the time. It can be excruciatingly painful and completely debilitating. Preventative medication has gone a long way toward minimizing flare-ups, but I now have other inflammatory problems...

#13 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-05-14 09:51 PM | Reply

#13 Jeff you're not kidding, the problem I have is I'll make it for 12 months or so and start slacking off the program. I'll feel a little twinge and the next thing you know.

Folks it's indefinable torture, lasts for weeks and all the things I love are off the table.

#14 | Posted by bruceaz at 2018-05-14 10:01 PM | Reply

I have the dot. Do you? I want them to use whatever pieces and parts they can to save or improve the lives of others when I go. I encourage anyone reading this to sign up for donation. #6 | POSTED BY HATTER518

Is the dot a cool way to reference the small scar from repeated insertions at the same spot? It's nothing compared to this guy or yourself but hit 2 gals with the FL donation system on my last donation 😎.

#15 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2018-05-14 11:00 PM | Reply

#15 | POSTED BY GONOLES92 AT 2018-05-14 11:00 PM

I don't know about other states but in Wisconsin if you sign up for organ donation you get a big dot sticker on your DL. If a person without a dot is DOA they put you in a bag and store you for later. If a person with a dot is DOA They will keep up CPR to keep blood and oxygen flowing through the organs until they can disassemble. Depending on condition they can use lots of pieces and parts. I don't think it should be mandatory but It would be nice if more people donated

#16 | Posted by hatter5183 at 2018-05-15 09:17 AM | Reply

"Why go through the trouble of invading countries where the oil is when we can just grow algae anywhere to make biofuels?"

In that we create more fuel than we use it finally becomes an unavoidable fact. we don't invade nations to steal their fossil fuels. We invade them or otherwise marginalize them to effect market prices. Coincidentally, under Trump, that benefits Russia. They love higher gas prices. Putin gave Trump a big smile for that. Trump swooned.

#17 | Posted by danni at 2018-05-15 09:39 AM | Reply