Sunday, May 13, 2018

An elderly African-American woman is the latest person of color to receive unduly harsh treatment at the hands of local law enforcement, during a traffic arrest that local police in Georgia admitted raised "major concerns." Video that has gone viral in recent days shows 65-year-old grandmother Rose Campbell being pulled over by police in Alpharetta City, Georgia for failing to stay in her lane while driving on a local road on May 4. Dashcam footage shows officer James Legg shouting, "Hey! You are not in charge! Shut up and get the [expletive] out of the car!" after Campbell refused to sign a traffic ticket, claiming she did no wrong. After two officers were called in for back up, Campbell was yanked, shrieking, from her vehicle and arrested for disorderly conduct. "I felt violated. I felt not only that my space had been violated, but that he was not respecting me," she said. "All I felt was his whole body over me and I could feel the weight over me, grabbing at my belt."

Comments

Does anyone believe that this should be acceptable behavior toward any citizen regardless of their age? How would you feel if this was your mother or grandmother? And the fact that the officer involved doesn't see anything wrong about his actions outside of cursing speaks volumes about LEO's inability to realize that people are often scared and confused when they encounter them, or many times feeling victimized themselves. The general public is not the enemy of law enforcement, we are supposed to be their employers, customers, and the ones they're supposed to be protecting until proven otherwise. And suspicion is not equivalent to guilt.

#1 | Posted by tonyroma at 2018-05-12 12:28 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

It was only 3/5ths of a citizen, so its fine.

.ps where is the video showing she didn't stay in her lane. Or was the crime not staying in her neighborhood.

#2 | Posted by bored at 2018-05-12 12:53 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I'd feel the same if it were my brother or my father, because I'm not sexist.
I'd ask to them what they were hoping to accomplish trying to shut their car door on a cop, resisting arrest, and fighting with them on a busy street.
I'd be disappointed in my mother or grandmother if she behaved the way Mrs. Rose Campbell behaved.
This escalation occurred wholly due to the actions of Mrs. Campbell.
The screaming cop needs to be let go and the training program that made him needs to be fixed. His behavior has no place in law enforcement.

#3 | Posted by Avigdore at 2018-05-12 12:54 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

.ps where is the video showing she didn't stay in her lane.

I believe it was through the arc of the dual left turn lanes. One of her first comments was that she had another vehicle next to her that limited where she could drive.

I'll have to watch that part again. But my first thought was "He's really pulling her over for weaving on a multi-lane turn?" Multi-lane turns are relatively new as we're sprawled, and half the time the guide lanes are either gone or barely visible because they're in the path of crossing traffic, thus always being worn down unlike margin lines. As she mentioned, her main job is to make sure she doesn't hit the car beside her while trying to find her lane at the same time.

Total dick move by the cop. He could pull over half the cars moving through that intersection for the same "violation" as though anyone intends to stray from their lane.

#4 | Posted by tonyroma at 2018-05-12 01:02 PM | Reply

"Does anyone believe that this should be acceptable behavior toward any citizen regardless of their age?"

Trump voters: YES
Never Trumpers: YES
Everyone else: NO

This is what Trump was talking about when he said police need to be rough with people.

60 million people voted for this.

Don't act so surprised when it happens.

#5 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-05-12 01:03 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

Cops need more training on remaining calm, deescalating situations, and defusing the agitated.

Also, replace firearms with tasers and batons with mace. Every cops should have a body cam that can't be muted or turned off.

#6 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2018-05-12 01:04 PM | Reply

The issue here is that the offending officer lost the trust and deference she gave him at the beginning. She wasn't belligerent, just honestly confused how he could site her for a violation under the conditions present. Has anyone stopped to think that what the chief was also talking about the likely fact the officer should never have given her a citation in the first place? It's a freaking multi-lane turn, NO ONE always stays within their arc because you have to react to the vehicle beside you and the amount of room you while locating the correct lane after the turn. How many times does the person in the leftmost lane try to immediately move right after (or during) the turn? People are used to turning from a single lane to the left and choosing ANY of the new lanes on multi-lane streets, so for many they instinctively do the same thing during multi-lane turns and if you're beside/behind them, you better be ready to react.

Once the trust was broken, she asked for a supervisor, which she can do. All she wanted (and later stated) was for the first officer to step away from her and she would leave the vehicle. A wisened public servant would have understood this and been able to maintain control without taking any steps involving physicality. The stop was for a bad turn, not an aggravated felony. She was not fleeing, and she was not a danger to other people during the time she asked for a supervisor to appear to provide her the sense of security the officer had taken away. The police do not have the right to degrade or demean citizens for traffic violations. You would think the officers themselves would stop and ask whether the immediate adherence to their demands should rise to the level of trying to physically manhandle a 65 year old woman for making a bad turn and being unhappy about it to the point of asking for a supervisor to come by and mediate the situation.

#7 | Posted by tonyroma at 2018-05-12 01:24 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

I had a near miss just this week Here's the scenario:

I'm approaching a major intersection and had a green light on a 45mph 2-lane thoroughfare. The left turn lane has a blinking yellow arrow and is backed up.
As I'm approaching the intersection, jackass whips it right from the left turn lane sticking his nose halfway into my lane.

All I could do to avoid the collision was make an emergency lane change without looking, which luckily, was the space between the 2 cars in the right lane.
It's one of the reasons I never follow closely, and I never drive as a wingman to another car if at all possible.

#8 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2018-05-12 01:40 PM | Reply

Looking at it multiple times, it appears Campbell turned too tightly and crossed the turn-arc lines to her left, causing the officer to slow and then move further left in response. She then moved back right and found her lane as the cop already had his lights on and had moved over in behind her. What is hard to tell (though she states such in the video) is whether the car on her right had also moved a little left causing her to veer in response. At any rate, there was no willful or intentional flaunting of the law worthy of any citation imo.

#9 | Posted by tonyroma at 2018-05-12 01:40 PM | Reply

That's what I'm seeing. This is normal, suburban driving. We know reckless lane crossing (as you noted) and this just wasn't one. It's impossible to watch the arc lines, what the other traffic is doing, AND find the correct lane to turn into all at the same time. It's why good drivers should always stay alert in multi-lane turn situations and most others as well.

But to get a ticket for what the video shows? You gotta be effing kidding me. And then escalate it into a physical arrest? Totally uncalled for.

#10 | Posted by tonyroma at 2018-05-12 01:46 PM | Reply

He could pull over half the cars moving through that intersection for the same "violation" as though anyone intends to stray from their lane. - #4 | Posted by tonyroma at 2018-05-12 01:02 PM
What's to say that he didn't?
Quotas Safety guidelines must be maintained!

#11 | Posted by Avigdore at 2018-05-12 01:50 PM | Reply

*yawn*

#12 | Posted by nullifidian at 2018-05-12 01:55 PM | Reply

After watching the video, the traffic stop was unnecessary. The lanes were not clearly marked, and I always arc wide expecting the car to the left of me could merge into my lane.

That said, don't argue with cops, ever. You will get your day in court. Remain calm, follow instructions, don't freak out.

Lastly, the cops overreacted and escalated the situation. Refusal to sign the summons = jail? I haven't heard of that.

I've refused to sign before, and the cop wrote "refused to sign" on the signature block.

#13 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2018-05-12 02:19 PM | Reply

Refusal to sign the summons = jail? I haven't heard of that. - #13 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2018-05-12 02:19 PM
"The traffic ticket contains an actual notice to you of a pending court date at which you must appear. By signing the ticket, you are providing an acknowledgment of receipt of the "notice to appear.". Since the officer is charging you with a violation of law, he could take you into custody."
To the best of my knowledge, your signature is basically your bail in this instance. Instead of taking you in to post bail, you can simply sign that you will comply with the summons to the court.
I Am Not A Lawyer.

#14 | Posted by Avigdore at 2018-05-12 02:31 PM | Reply

#14 Did the officer explain that? Because I didn't know that. Years ago, I refused to sign one, and the cop just wrote on the ticket that I refused.

Anyways, I've learned to comply and deal with it in court. Unless I know I'm guilty, then I would just pay the fine and be done with it

But in the last 10-20 years, I've become a much more careful driver and haven't been pulled. If I do, I won't argue at all on the side of the road.

#15 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2018-05-12 02:46 PM | Reply

She played the Fred Sanford card.....having a heart attack.

#16 | Posted by eberly at 2018-05-12 02:54 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

What a drama queen just sign the damn ticket like everybody else does.

#17 | Posted by patron at 2018-05-12 03:40 PM | Reply

More racist cop video
youtu.be

#18 | Posted by patron at 2018-05-12 03:54 PM | Reply

6 cops to take down a little old lady.

Never mess with black grandmas

#19 | Posted by truthhurts at 2018-05-12 04:34 PM | Reply

that cop is lucky she wasn't wearing her Sunday morning church hat

#20 | Posted by truthhurts at 2018-05-12 04:38 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

www.drudge.com

#21 | Posted by MrSilenceDogood at 2018-05-12 07:09 PM | Reply

"I Am Not A Lawyer."

But you are, most certainly, a f@&king moron.

#22 | Posted by Angrydad at 2018-05-12 08:06 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

This escalation occurred wholly due to the actions of Mrs. Campbell.

#3 | POSTED BY AVIGDORE

I would say the entire department of Gomers needs to be axed and replaced.

The first cop. Jeez. Way to control a situation by allowing a passenger to exit and mill around unaccounted for. -------. He would have been safer and the passengers safer and better controlled had he actually waited.

As for most of the cops, really? Are cops such ------- these days that a silver haired granny requires 6-8 offices to deal with?

As for tough guy McSideburns...well I can only wish he and bubba get really well acquainted in the prison showers. Maybe it's the tribal tat sleeve that makes me think he's an insufferable douche bag or maybe it's his authoritarian complex in roughing up grannies on the roadside.

#23 | Posted by jpw at 2018-05-13 03:47 AM | Reply

FOP = KGB

#24 | Posted by ABlock at 2018-05-13 05:57 PM | Reply

With the advent of dashboard and body cameras, no signature on the ticket should be required. All that needs to be done is to indicate on the ticket that the driver refused to sign. Other than verbally notifying the driver of the court date and the requirement for them to appear, that should be it. The cop's work is done. If the driver doesn't appear in court, issue an impound order for the vehicle and keep it until (s)he does appear. The other option that cops have to deal with an "uncooperative" driver is to threaten to immobilize the vehicle and to actually do so if the driver doesn't willingly cooperate.

Part of the problem is that there are to many minor infractions that give police an opportunity interact with people. Often, the enforcement of a minor infraction is left to the discretion of the cop. To often this discretion is biased against minorities. So, either train cops to be better people or reduce (eliminate?) the number of laws covering minor infractions. Treat these minor infractions like some states treat seat belt laws i.e. you can't be found guilty of not wearing a seatbelt unless you were stopped for a major violation and it was discovered that you weren't wearing a seatbelt.

Finally, there does appear to be a training issue i.e. the first officer on the scene should have command authority until an officer of higher rank appears. All other officers should STFU unless otherwise instructed by the officer in charge. The officer with the cap acted as if he was a member of a pack of wild dogs.

#25 | Posted by FedUpWithPols at 2018-05-14 05:52 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

If you refuse to sign a ticket you will be arrested. Signing the ticket is not an admission of guilt. However, once in Court anything you say which contradicts a police officer counts for nothing. If the cop shows up and says you're guilty, then you're guilty, What actually happened does not matter.

#26 | Posted by bayviking at 2018-05-14 06:20 AM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

Compare and contrast how this situation was handled vs. the actions of this off-duty police officer:

Nix spots Crowell driving with all of her hazards on, and follows her through an intersection, turning his car around to be able to pull over onto the side of the road behind her. As soon as the cars are parked, a passenger runs out of the car, carrying the limp body of the tiny baby, and Nix is there, immediately ready to grab him and start trying to help save his life. It's clear the mother and her friend are distraught, and Nix can be seen reassuring them as he's working on the baby.

He's calm and promises the mother that he will not leave her or her baby until they're taken care of. Since an ambulance wasn't arriving quickly enough, Nix then picks up the baby and radios in that he will be driving the baby in himself and is en route.

The dashcam covers his drive to the hospital, which ends at the ambulance entrance where medical staff were ready for him and the baby.

The Marion County Sheriff's department released a statement about the incident, which reads in part that, "Doctors also said that because of K9 Deputy Nix's actions, Baby Kingston is alive today. We are tremendously proud of Deputy Nix and we can already see that he and Baby Kingston will have a deep connection that will last a lifetime!!"

Nix came back to check on King and see how he was doing at the end of his next shift, and the happy story continues here, too. The baby is recovering very well, and has been released from the hospital. A story that too easily could have ended in tragedy instead has a family with their baby safe and healthy.

thefederalist.com

I really do encourage anyone to click the link. The video and pictures do this far more justice than what I printed.

#27 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-05-14 01:27 PM | Reply

Black Grandma should just be grateful she didn't make Officer Wiggum and his boys fear for their lives.

#28 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-05-14 01:37 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I hate to sound callous Jeff, but the officer in your story was just doing his job. What I want to know is when that same officer is in the locker room and other cops are bragging about how they were harassing teens or shaking down bodega owners if he spoke up or joined in or just let it pass.

#29 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2018-05-15 07:39 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#29 | POSTED BY TFDNIHILIST

He was off-duty at the time. He also visited the child and the mother the next day (when he was again off-duty) at the hospital. It's a nice story - just leave it at that.

#30 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-05-15 11:48 AM | Reply