Friday, May 11, 2018

If there were a Guinness World Record for robocalls, a Miami man may have set it. And now he's paying the price. The FCC has fined Adrian Abramovich $120 million for setting up a program that made nearly 100 million robocalls between 2015 and 2016. "Abramovich is the perpetrator of one of the largest -- and most dangerous -- illegal robocalling campaigns that the Commission has ever investigated," the FCC said in June, when it handed down its citation against him. The fine amount was finalized Thursday.

Comments

At times, I'd estimate that I had received half of the calls he made...

But the wrong criminal is being targeted. OK, maybe not the wrong one, but not all of 'em.

The real criminal in the robo-call mess is the VoIP provider that allows so many calls with forged caller-ID data.

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2018-05-11 08:29 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Is this guy a Mossad operative? Is that how he was able to perform regardless the millions of FCC complaints from the middle of a CIA-run state?

#2 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2018-05-11 11:42 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Florida Man Made Nearly 100 Million Robocalls

He should ask out the woman who texted 65,000 times ... talk about a match made in heaven.

#3 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-05-12 01:17 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

I hate robocalls. The perpetrators hardly need a list, unless its a list of suckers. They can simply call through every number combination available, but starting with an area code.

Robocalls continue. They are relentless. So what is the FCC saying? If you make a hundred million calls they'll get you. But if you just make ten million, then its OK? Simple arithmetic tells us one Abramovich is the same as ten of the other nuisances.

#4 | Posted by bayviking at 2018-05-12 08:10 AM | Reply

I was told yesterday by Centurylink that spoofing caller id information is legal because "there are legitimate reasons for doing it."

Apparently Congress needs to make sure nothing gets in the way of making money for them or their donors.

Or Centurylink is one lazy, pathetic, uninterested in their customers, company.

Currently there are two that are hitting me regularly.

1) the "Credit" one - where if you actually press 1 and talk to the call center (I've done this twice and gotten the same man with a thick Hindi accent). Last two times I said "I'm not sure why you keep calling. I don't have any credit cards." he told me to "Aw. You don't have any credit cards? You don't have any credit cards? Go f**k yourself!" The number was a local number (caller ID spoofing) and is different each time.

2) DirecTV spoofers. This one is good! Also thick Hindi accents. Caller ID shows DirecTV and the phone number displayed is the DirecTV (800) number. Agent says pay 4 months in advance, $75/mo, initial payment of $300, for DirecTV, and your phone and internet will be bundled in for the same $75/month for 24 months. They'll give you a promotional number (if) you pay, then another 1-888-410-9089, press 1, number where they answer as DirecTV promotions. You give them the number and they confirm you're all set with the deal. Of course you find out later with your regular billing that there is no deal.

I kept him on the phone for a good 30 minutes getting all the details and phone numbers I could. I then reported the entire incident.

#5 | Posted by YAV at 2018-05-12 08:33 AM | Reply

1 per second x 24/7 = 3+ years...golly gee

#6 | Posted by ABlock at 2018-05-12 11:51 AM | Reply

Florida man is my favorite super hero

#7 | Posted by Ziplinepanda at 2018-05-12 09:11 PM | Reply