Thursday, May 03, 2018

Tesla chief Elon Musk's refusal to answer "boring" Wall Street questions about the electric-car maker's financial condition sent shares down more than 7 percent Thursday and spurred concerns about the company's ability to raise money in the future. Tesla's bonds followed the shares lower, and with at least three brokerages cutting price targets for the stock and eight of 27 now recommending "sell," several wondered what it would now cost the company to raise more funds this year if need be.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Disappointing, but glad I ordered a Leaf instead of a Tesla. I hope those with reservations get their car quick or their money back.

Comments

"I want MORE Cobalt! Keep digging!!"

"But, I'm only nine years old."

"Back to the mines! Speaks is waiting!"

#1 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2018-05-03 06:06 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

And Silicon Valley will keep buying Teslas regardless.

#2 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2018-05-03 06:22 PM | Reply

The point of the article is that Tesla is headed for a cash crunch and may not meet its bills soon without more investors. If investors don't see profitability soon, Tesla may be owned by the bond holders.

#3 | Posted by bored at 2018-05-03 07:41 PM | Reply

"Dig FASTER, you little wretches!" - Musk

#4 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2018-05-03 07:46 PM | Reply

Telling the analysts for your principal investors to suck it & stop asking boring ----, calling your dead customers stupid know-it-alls, and fielding most of the questions from a Youtube personality is definitely the most unique strategy I've seen in the automotive industry so far.

#5 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2018-05-03 08:10 PM | Reply

This is just more Musk's out of the box personality that is typical of him. You don't change the world by following the traditional rules.

#6 | Posted by Daniel at 2018-05-04 06:56 AM | Reply

When you think you are smarter than Elon Musk you should know, immediately, you are wrong.

#7 | Posted by danni at 2018-05-04 09:00 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"I want MORE Cobalt! Keep digging!!"

"But, I'm only nine years old."

"Back to the mines! Speaks is waiting!"

#1 | Posted by SheepleSchism

A "liberal" spouting Koch brothers propaganda. How dumb can you possibly get?

electrek.co

"The Koch brothers, who are deeply embedded in the fossil fuel industry, have long been financing offensives against electric vehicles through multimillion-dollar lobbying campaigns.

They are at it again with a fresh new effort to delegitimize electric cars and promote fossil fuels.
Home Solar Power

In the past, they have tried several different angles of attacks to paint electric cars in a bad light.

At first, it was about how electric vehicles are being subsidized by taxpayers. Of course, in those attacks, they left out the fact that fossil fuels have been subsidized by governments for decades at a rate way higher than EVs or renewable energy.

Their latest propaganda effort against EVs focuses on sourcing metals for batteries and spreading misinformation about EVs in general."

I've corrected you on this 3 times now. Each time you run away. Bye bye little koch sucker.

#8 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2018-05-04 01:30 PM | Reply

Each time you run away. #8 | POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY

...in your dreams.

Who's behind this site? You can't even drill down to find out, but it reads like a glowing pro-lithium battery propaganda site - electrek.co

Here's what the media has found:
www.amnesty.org
www.ft.com
money.cnn.com
www.cbsnews.com

I understand, you don't want to experience any remorse for such a steep capital investment. Just look away, and put your Tesla on autopilot.

Turn up the classical music, and drift off to a far away place, where children aren't mining the cobalt to power your progressive boondoggle.

#9 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2018-05-04 01:42 PM | Reply

Tesla's valuation is absurdly high; a 7 point drop does not concern me.

#10 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-05-04 01:50 PM | Reply

Here's what the media has found:
www.amnesty.org
www.ft.com
money.cnn.com
www.cbsnews.com

#9 | Posted by SheepleSchism

Yeah dummy, you're quoting people spreading koch propaganda. Don't you know how propaganda works? You don't get it from propaganda.com. You spread it through legitimate seeming news outlets that you have influence over.

#11 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2018-05-04 01:52 PM | Reply

He knows that, he's just trying to pull the wool over everyone's eyes.

#12 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-05-04 01:54 PM | Reply

#11 | POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY

Wait, what? You mean the news orgs that have this place in a Trump tizzy, unwittingly spread propaganda?

This is a stunning revelation, Speaks. I need a moment to get myself together.

In the meantime, here's video of children mining cobalt for your Tesla - youtu.be

Video don't lie.

#13 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2018-05-04 02:06 PM | Reply

Classical music. Auto pilot. wash away the guilt.

Too expensive to worry about, every time you press the button to wake the batteries

powered by child labor.

#14 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2018-05-04 02:08 PM | Reply

"The battery industry currently uses 42 percent of global cobalt production, a critical metal for Lithium-ion cells. The remaining 58 percent is used in diverse industrial and military applications (super alloys, catalysts, magnets, pigments ... ) that rely exclusively on the material." techcrunch.com

But whatabout Tesla???

"May.03 -- Tesla said in a letter to shareholders it has slashed its reliance on cobalt for its Model 3 vehicle, while raising nickel content, and that its latest batteries already employ less cobalt than similar types already on the market. Elon Musk said on a conference call, "We think we can get cobalt to almost nothing." Bloomberg's Alix Steel talks with Bloomberg New Energy Finance Salim Morsy about Tesla's cobalt warning." www.msn.com

#15 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-05-04 02:14 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Video don't lie.

#13 | Posted by SheepleSchism

That's the cobalt in the machine you're typing on. Guess you better toss it out.

#16 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2018-05-04 02:16 PM | Reply

I'll also admit, I'm mostly yanking your chain - mission accomplished.

But seriously, this is an issue we should be able to agree needs to be addressed and remedied.
Child labor is unacceptable, anywhere on earth. It's wrong. And it's feeding rich people tech.

#17 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2018-05-04 02:21 PM | Reply

#17 | Posted by SheepleSchism

Then read snoofy's post #15. Next go try and find a similar quote from the head of whoever made the batteries in your computer.

#18 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2018-05-04 02:23 PM | Reply

I'll also admit, I'm mostly yanking your chain - mission accomplished

#17 | Posted by SheepleSchism

And this is the most clear admission of "I'm just a troll" I've ever seen on this site. From now on I'll treat you accordingly.

#19 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2018-05-04 02:24 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"We think we can get cobalt to almost nothing." #15 | POSTED BY SNOOFY

Whattaboutism getting child labor down to "almost nothing"? Is that acceptable?

I'm not satisfied until child labor doesn't exist. At least, at LEAST, getting our imports derived from child labor to zero.

There's that number again, Snoofy - zero.

#20 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2018-05-04 02:25 PM | Reply

#19 | POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY

I don't care. plonk me snowfake.

#21 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2018-05-04 02:26 PM | Reply

I don't care. plonk me snowfake.

#21 | Posted by SheepleSchism

I don't plonk people. I love watching morons and children show off their idiocy.

#22 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2018-05-04 02:29 PM | Reply

There's that number again, Snoofy - zero.

#20 | Posted by SheepleSchism

Therefore you must immediately stop purchasing anything made with child labor, right?

#23 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2018-05-04 02:31 PM | Reply

- immediately stop purchasing anything made with child labor, right?

Now that I know, I'm responsible. Yes, I have no choice but to choose an alternative to lithium batteries.
Until a new tech evolves, or cobalt is ethically harvested, my lithium battery purchases, from here on out, will be zero.

There's not much any of us can do about what's already been purchased, considering throwing them in the trash won't save a child.
But I suppose some might feel compelled to do so. I'm not, since it solves nothing. Refusing to purchase, coupled with protests/boycotts, pressures manufactures.

#24 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2018-05-04 02:53 PM | Reply

- I love watching morons and children show off their idiocy.

If my #24 is idiocy, then you have bigger problems than lithium battery remorse.

#25 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2018-05-04 02:55 PM | Reply

#25 | Posted by SheepleSchism

It's not idiocy. It's a lie. There is zero chance you stop buying anything with any child labor involved at any phase of it's production. Unless you're going further outside society than even ted kazinsky. Enjoy being naked in your cave in the woods.

#26 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2018-05-04 03:11 PM | Reply

"I'll admit, I just came to learn about this in the last few months, and i'm absolutely appalled."

What didn't you just come to learn in the past few months?

You didn't know the press routinely quotes anonymous White House sources either.

You are a Know-Nothing.