Thursday, April 19, 2018

Middle school students at Great Hearts Monte Vista in San Antonio were asked to weigh the "positive" and "negative" aspects of slavery for an assignment. Great Hearts Monte Vista, a local charter school, confirmed an 8th-grade American History class was assigned a worksheet titled "The Life of Slaves: A Balanced View." ... Great Hearts Texas Superintendent Aaron Kindel addressed the issue in a statement on Thursday. He said the assignment was only used at the school's Monte Vista North campus and it "was very inappropriate and entirely inconsistent" with the school's "philosophy and culture."

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Kindel said the teacher was placed on leave while "all the facts" surrounding the issue were assessed. The textbook for the course, "Prentice Hall Classics: A History of the United States," was removed from use and will be audited.

Comments

Soft cotton blankets, infected with smallpox.

#1 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2018-04-19 04:09 PM | Reply

Boaz, congratulations on your new career as a teacher.

#2 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-04-19 04:13 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

""If we deem this textbook imprudent, we will permanently remove it and replace it with a history book that accurately reflects our values," Kindel's statement reads."

Wink, wink.

How about a history book that teaches honest history instead of your own values?

#3 | Posted by danni at 2018-04-19 04:22 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

Why would someone even think it's necessary to present a balanced view of slavery? Is there folks alive in 2018 America who actually think slavery is a good idea?

#4 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2018-04-19 06:58 PM | Reply

"Is there folks alive in 2018 America who actually think slavery is a good idea?"

Yes, millions in America alone.

Americans are bigly into human trafficking children as sex slaves.

It's not what's commonly thought of as "slavery" but it's slavery nonetheless.

#5 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-04-19 07:03 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

And we let Texas pretty much decide on Text Books for the country...

#6 | Posted by Sycophant at 2018-04-19 07:24 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

snoofy-

m.huffpost.com

#7 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2018-04-19 07:31 PM | Reply

And we let Texas pretty much decide on Text Books for the country...

#6 | POSTED BY SYCOPHAN

That's a decision of the "free market"; publishers wanting to minimize the number of editions (and therefore the cost) to publish a given textbook. Because Texas is such a large market, they have become a convenient template for them.

#8 | Posted by WhoDaMan at 2018-04-19 09:48 PM | Reply

It would be interesting to know what these text books have to say about Jim Crow. I suspect they will tell us that black people liked their condition. I suspect those text books are basically fiction.

#9 | Posted by danni at 2018-04-19 10:26 PM | Reply

Speaking as a grandchild of slaves, and an active participant in the Civil Rights Movement in the 60's, I can tell you that you are right.

#10 | Posted by WhoDaMan at 2018-04-19 10:39 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 2

I'm conducting a classroom lesson for my coworkers tomorrow on the introduction to The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness.

Apt timing for me to come upon this thread.

I don't even know what to say. I'm so far on the other side of even considering the "positive aspects" of the worst institution ever implemented in the history of man kind.

#11 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2018-04-20 02:28 AM | Reply

I can think of a positive aspect to slavery.
It led to the slaughter of many tens of thousands of confederate soldiers.

#12 | Posted by bored at 2018-04-20 02:40 AM | Reply

#10 | POSTED BY WHODAMAN

How the hell old are? You might want to return Mr. Fox's, DeLorean...

#13 | Posted by TXLIBERTARIAN at 2018-04-20 02:45 AM | Reply

why is the no confederate flag emoji? when you want one.

#14 | Posted by ichiro at 2018-04-20 03:30 AM | Reply

so, are you supposed to give answers like... it built the pyramids? the white house? the arts? sex? ...how does this work?

#15 | Posted by ichiro at 2018-04-20 03:39 AM | Reply

"Great Hearts Monte Vista, a local charter school"

Hmmm.

#16 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-04-20 03:58 AM | Reply

#15: You got to date important men like Thomas Jefferson and Benjamin Franklin.

#17 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-04-20 03:59 AM | Reply

A class for whites only?

#18 | Posted by fresno500 at 2018-04-20 07:12 AM | Reply

The most important "aspect" of slavery is there is no consequence for beating or killing a slave, since they are just a piece of property.

#19 | Posted by bayviking at 2018-04-20 08:25 AM | Reply

When I was in 8th grade, living in Mississippi, our text books defended slavery. They said that many slaves like their situation. I was only a 12 year old but I knew it was a lie even then. That was before Civil Rights, Martin Luther King was portrayed on TV as a rabble rouser and hey, this new guy Kennedy, they just killed him. In those days, segregation and persecution of the black race was not an idea, it was the law of the land, it was a religion. Hell, churches were segregated. Which church would Jesus have attended? Black (Colored in those days) or White?
My family employed a black woman as a maid, I spent many, many hours with her. She taught me so much. I've never forgotten her and still love that woman to this day. Her name, to me, was Miss Mary. She changed me and I have been thankful ever since.

#20 | Posted by danni at 2018-04-20 08:44 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

New assignment. Please give us a balanced view of the Holocaust.

#21 | Posted by danni at 2018-04-20 11:17 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Slavery was ugly, it was practiced everywhere at one time or another. No people are innocent. Here are few facts about slavery practiced in the United States. First only about 5% of the slaves loaded on ships off the coast of Africa came here. More went to South America and the Caribbean, but the numbers that went east dwarf both. Of course there are practically no descendants of those slaves living in the Middle East, one might ask why but that would be an uncomfortable question. The initial cause of the slave trade west was primarily due to one commodity, sugar. That product consumed African lives like nothing else. Life expectancy for a slave on a sugar plantation was less five years. This was true here also. We just do not have much land where sugar cane can be grown.

#22 | Posted by docnjo at 2018-04-20 11:35 AM | Reply

More whataboutism from a morally bankrupt coward.

#23 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-04-20 11:38 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#23 | Posted by DirkStruan Big words from a little man.

#24 | Posted by docnjo at 2018-04-20 11:47 AM | Reply

It was just the free market at work. It would still be with us it if wasn't for all those awful government regulations.

#25 | Posted by SomebodyElse at 2018-04-20 11:51 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#23 | Posted by DirkStruan Big words from a little man.

#24 | POSTED BY DOCNJO AT 2018-04-20 11:47 AM | FLAG:

Says the pitiful creature too small to look honestly at history. Your excuses and deflections are pathetic.

#26 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-04-20 11:53 AM | Reply

DOCNJO doesn't get it that we have a document that stated that "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." So, basically, our nation was based on a lie. Slavery is a stain on our history which can't be and shouldn't be removed or diminished. DOCJO's whataboutism does seem like an attempt to do just that.

#27 | Posted by danni at 2018-04-20 12:20 PM | Reply

" Here are few facts about slavery practiced in the United States"

I thought it was interesting that your facts didn't really include any "positive aspects."
You fail the assignment.
Care to try again?

#28 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-04-20 12:20 PM | Reply

How the hell old are? You might want to return Mr. Fox's, DeLorean...

#13 | POSTED BY TXLIBERTARIAN

I'll be 71 in June. My father was born in 1895, his father (the slave) was born in 1853.

#29 | Posted by WhoDaMan at 2018-04-20 12:36 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

This is not a whataboutism. It is not a whitewash of history. The stain and guilt of slavery is universal. Considering the abolition of slavery in this country was bought with the blood of more than 600,000 free men's lives and the utter destruction of the empire of the slaver might have have redeemed us somewhat. So how is being honest about history? Those who say this country can never escape the legacy of slavery and masochistically flog themselves with white guilt and liberal moral superiority or someone who realizes that slavery ended in this country more than 150 years ago. The only positive aspect of slavery is it was profitable. Men would not have engaged in it if there was not money to be made. As a libertarian, I fundamentally oppose that form of exploitation. As far as the racism and white superiority that we still encounter, you will have to ask Jo and the kids if I have engaged in that.

#30 | Posted by docnjo at 2018-04-20 12:43 PM | Reply

Of course it is whataboutism. And now you make excuses.

#31 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-04-20 12:47 PM | Reply

"Considering the abolition of slavery in this country was bought with the blood of more than 600,000 free men's lives and the utter destruction of the empire of the slaver might have have redeemed us somewhat."

The self serving argument of a pathetic moral coward.

"As far as the racism and white superiority that we still encounter, you will have to ask Jo and the kids if I have engaged in that."

You've engaged in it on this thread, genius.

#32 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-04-20 12:50 PM | Reply

"masochistically flog themselves with white guilt and liberal moral superiority."

What a load of you know what.

#33 | Posted by danni at 2018-04-20 01:02 PM | Reply

#32 | Posted by DirkStruan, Does your hate keep you warm at the rarefied altitude of your moral superiority? Racism? Most racist don't marry black women and rare black kids. Moral coward? I did what I thought was right regardless what was the popular notion at the time. Unlike a real coward who must cloth themselves in the camouflage of progressive virtue, which beyond lip service cost the practitioner nothing. My convictions cost me a lot, what have you sacrificed?

#34 | Posted by docnjo at 2018-04-20 01:10 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

And for a lot of folks the only thing that's changed is they know to keep their opinions private...but that doesn't stop them in the voting booth.

youtu.be

#35 | Posted by ABlock at 2018-04-20 01:14 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

35 | Posted by ABlock You had to use a reference more than 50 years old, which says more than anything I could respond with. Check out the numbers of elected officials down here in the "South" who happen to be black. Surprise!

#36 | Posted by docnjo at 2018-04-20 01:34 PM | Reply

"Most racist don't marry black women and rare black kids"

So who's the exception to the rule, you or Boaz?

#37 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-04-20 01:40 PM | Reply

"Moral coward? I did what I thought was right regardless what was the popular notion at the time."

But... was it right?

#38 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-04-20 01:42 PM | Reply

#38 | Posted by snoofy I do not know, even hind site is not 20/20. All I can equability say is I was not self serving. But I seldom took the possession dictated to me by others. Especially those who had no skin in the game.

#39 | Posted by docnjo at 2018-04-20 01:47 PM | Reply

It looks like one teacher went rogue with this assignment.

The school board took appropriate measures to remedy this situation.

#40 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-04-20 02:41 PM | Reply

"I do not know, even hind site is not 20/20."

That answer seems cowardly to me.

#41 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-04-20 02:43 PM | Reply

Snoofy, I am sure you have never been wrong about anything. At least in your own eyes. I have been called a fool, reckless, race traitor, stubborn, libertine, sexually deviant, foul mouthed and contrary. I will plead guilty to most of that. But outside of this site, no one who has dwelt with me has ever surmised that I am a coward.

#42 | Posted by docnjo at 2018-04-20 03:05 PM | Reply

........................................#36 | POSTED BY DOCNJO

check how many black preachers rip off their black parishioners...venality doesn't have a color. are you familiar with 'uncle tom'. i'm a 71 year old white man who lives in the midst of what passes for the klan these days. i'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're just naive.

#43 | Posted by ABlock at 2018-04-20 04:14 PM | Reply

"Racism? Most racist don't marry black women and rare black kids."

But, as you prove, some do.

What are you babbling about? You won't face up to history and that makes you a coward,

#44 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-04-20 05:04 PM | Reply