Monday, April 16, 2018

[Sex and the City actress Cynthia) Nixon and her friends had been talking about finding a candidate with a progressive agenda to run against Cuomo the way Fordham professor Zephyr Teachout had back in 2014, when she startled everyone by capturing 34 percent of the Democratic vote -- "even though she had very little money and no name recognition and had a hard time getting the media to cover her," said Nixon. "So we were saying we needed someone like that, but maybe with a bigger megaphone." But what Democrat would be brave enough to take on a governor whose brand is as familiar to New Yorkers as Duane Reade, a man notorious for his political chess-playing and ruthless vengeance? Maybe Attorney General Eric Schneiderman? An upstate mayor?

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

In years past, Nixon said, she'd been asked to consider filling this role and had always demurred. But at the Tonys in July, while Nixon spoke about inhabiting her character and other actorly things, her mind was clearly elsewhere. Hellman's play was "eerily prescient," she mused in her acceptance speech, implicitly connecting the 20th-century work to Trump and the Women's March with a quote from the playwright: "There are people who eat the earth and eat all the people on it, and other people who stand around and watch them eat."

Comments

Nice article from NYMag, funny headline... who stole Hrat's computer?

#1 | Posted by Corky at 2018-04-16 04:30 PM | Reply

#1 I read a wide variety of news stories from a wide variety of sources in an attempt to grasp everybody's position and opinions - a concept you call "wrongthink", as I understand it.

You may not like my conclusions, but what is the point of going to a political blog if you can't disagree with people?

#2 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-04-16 04:53 PM | Reply

"a wide variety of news stories from a wide variety of sources"

Most of which aren't really news sources...

#3 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-04-16 04:59 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

- a concept you call "wrong think"

Really? Did I? When was that?

Maybe you read it in Things That Never Happened Mag.

#4 | Posted by Corky at 2018-04-16 05:03 PM | Reply

#4 I'm pretty sure "wrong think" is not how you type that. I'll check with an English major and get back to you.

#5 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-04-16 05:06 PM | Reply

True. If this guy didn't write it, he's usually not a fan:

www.pinterest.co.uk

Which is why I was trying to compliment him... OK, sort of, on posting this article.

#6 | Posted by Corky at 2018-04-16 05:07 PM | Reply

#3 Snoofy! I missed you!

My Question of the Day: if no culture is superior to any other culture, then what is wrong with "rape culture"?

#7 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-04-16 05:10 PM | Reply

what is wrong with "rape culture"?

#7 | Posted by HeliumRat

Rape is not a culture.

#8 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-04-16 05:26 PM | Reply

"if no culture is superior to any other culture, then what is wrong with "rape culture"?"

The rape.
That's what's wrong with it.

#9 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-04-16 05:29 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#3 "Most of which aren't really news sources..."

I don't expect you to read Gizmodo, Wired, Arstechnica, Sciencedaily, The Hill, Reason, WSWS, or even watch C-Span (my all time favorite is bo-ne.ws). I expect you to believe what you read in your echo chamber, because tribalism makes you feel included in a self-supporting group. But yeah, if it disagrees with the Neocons, it's not corporate media, and therefore must be fake news.

#10 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-04-16 05:35 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#9 Okay, so if the core values of a culture support rape, and the victim is punished for being raped, you agree that would be bad?

(Yeah, I know, leading question....)

#11 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-04-16 05:38 PM | Reply

#11 Christianity has its good points too.

#12 | Posted by bored at 2018-04-16 05:46 PM | Reply

"I expect you to believe what you read in your echo chamber."

Echo chamber? I mostly get news from the headlines here.

I guess the DR is just another Deep State Sleeper Cell.

#13 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-04-16 05:52 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

"you agree that would be bad?"

I would call it unfortunate.

#14 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-04-16 06:00 PM | Reply

- if no culture is superior to any other culture

Here's a take down of that dumb proposition, which prop was made recently by people with a definite agenda.

www.huffingtonpost.com

- Gizmodo, Wired, Arstechnica, Sciencedaily, The Hill, Reason, WSWS, or even watch C-Span

Funny stuff from a guy that is more likely to post from Dear Leader Today, The Moonie Times, or alienvault.

#15 | Posted by Corky at 2018-04-16 06:00 PM | Reply

#12 Yeah, but at least it had a reformation. And the guy responsible for it was awesomely weird. And what he wrote did make a huge difference. But oh God the quotes he wrote....

It would be so awesome if he really did that to the Pope with his trousers. And we had video.

#16 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-04-16 06:07 PM | Reply

#15 I have no idea what you are talking about, but keep up the good work. That's why I love you :)

#17 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-04-16 06:08 PM | Reply

#6 Corky, that was a truly awesome link, but it requires you to log in with Facebook to see the awesome, and that will never happen. I think he needs to add just one more video "Log into Facebook? Aliens."

#18 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-04-16 06:12 PM | Reply

We are already on post #18 and nobody has even discusses the article. I thought she was awesome. I mean, just because you are related to Richard Nixon (I assume) doesn't mean you inherited the DNA of Evil or anything.

And the whole $25 billion in important social services thing she brought up does sound rather vitally important twice.

#19 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-04-16 06:19 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Wait. What? Rape is bad. Not good at all. It's a crime against humanity.

#20 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-04-16 10:55 PM | Reply

"We are already on post #18 and nobody has even discusses the article."

It's your own fault with that question of the Day...

The answer to #11 is of course the culture that turns its back on rape victims and does not punish rape has deeper problems. But, rape is not the problem ... it is only the symptom of much deeper problems.

#21 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-04-17 06:13 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"I thought she was awesome."

Because she is.

That shows there is hope for you!

I will put a good word for you to our new robot Overlords.

#22 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-04-17 06:16 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1