Monday, April 16, 2018

More than half of the sponsors of ads on Facebook that featured divisive political messages ahead of the 2016 presidential election have little or no public paper trails, according to a study from researchers at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. One-sixth of those ad buyers with little background information were linked to Russia, according to the study released Monday. Researchers examined 5 million ads encountered from Sept. 28 to Nov. 8, 2016, by about 9,500 volunteers, who were chosen to represent the demographics and partisan affiliations of U.S. voters.

Comments

Nothing to see here.

No one has ever been tricked by an ad so that proves it had no effect on the elections and you cannot prove it so there.

--Silly Sheep.

#1 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-04-16 02:34 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

--Silly Sheep.

#1 | POSTED BY DONNERBOY

I wish that were sarcasm but he has literally taken that position.

#2 | Posted by Sycophant at 2018-04-16 02:46 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

it has to be the angry gay black hippie bikers on acid for Jesus folks again...

#3 | Posted by AuntieSocial at 2018-04-16 04:38 PM | Reply

What about the ads that say naked teens want to meet me? My wife gets pretty upset when she sees those. On my feed...

#4 | Posted by catdog at 2018-04-16 04:41 PM | Reply

More reason to use ad blockers.

#5 | Posted by bat4255 at 2018-04-16 04:43 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

More reason to use ad blockers.

#5 | POSTED BY BAT4255

You can't ad block ads on Facebook.

#6 | Posted by Sycophant at 2018-04-16 04:48 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Really, then why does Ublock blocking 16 - 18 elements while I'm on it.

#7 | Posted by bat4255 at 2018-04-16 04:53 PM | Reply

Really, then why does Ublock blocking 16 - 18 elements while I'm on it.

#7 | POSTED BY BAT4255

Facebook recently changed its method for advertising which I don't think UBlock has caught up to yet.

In addition, it was in story ads that were the problem and ads shared by friends...which UBlock doesn't block.

#8 | Posted by Sycophant at 2018-04-17 10:51 AM | Reply

While it does not get 100%, it does get most, which is better than none. As for sketchy links, pages and memes that (so called) "friends post, those get blocked by me. I don't need 500 friends and I am very selective about who is allowed to view. All my settings a set to the max. No issues for me.

#9 | Posted by bat4255 at 2018-04-17 11:28 AM | Reply

#9 | POSTED BY BAT4255

You and I are of a like mind here. I actually don't follow most of my friends. I literally follow two or three people so I can see pictures of my nieces. And I don't post anything. Facebook is a way to get a hold of me and that's about it.

#10 | Posted by Sycophant at 2018-04-17 11:39 AM | Reply

All my settings a set to the max. No issues for me.

#9 | POSTED BY BAT4255

Somehow, I don't think you are representative of the typical Facebook user. Advertising does work. The world spends 3/4 $trillion a year on it.

#11 | Posted by WhoDaMan at 2018-04-17 12:04 PM | Reply