Sunday, April 15, 2018

In an attempt to clarify the confusing information about what levels of alcohol are safe vs. risky, a new study in The Lancet reports that the "safe" upper limit for alcohol consumption may be less than we thought, at least here in the U.S. The study largely confirms what other research in the last few years has suggested: that low levels of alcohol consumption seem to be best, whereas "moderate" drinking may actually be too much. To look at the issue, the University of Cambridge-led team looked at 83 earlier studies on the drinking habits of some 600,000 people from 19 countries around the world. They correlated alcohol consumption with health outcomes over the next seven to eight years, adjusting for other variables like smoking status, diabetes, and age.

Comments

www.youtube.com

Don' know why that did-int werk....

#1 | Posted by Corky at 2018-04-15 12:00 AM | Reply

Having 10 or more drinks per week was linked to one to two years reduced life expectancy, while having 18 drinks or more per week was linked with four to five years shorter life.

So you can party a bit and still live to your 70s?

Sounds much better than living a dull, boring life and living to 76.

#2 | Posted by jpw at 2018-04-15 12:23 AM | Reply

If someone needs alcohol to keep from having a dull, boring life, than they already have worse problems than the alcohol.

#3 | Posted by Corky at 2018-04-15 12:34 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Yawn.

It's not a need, douchebag.

Just a bit of fun.

#4 | Posted by jpw at 2018-04-15 12:55 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

Having more than this started to raise the risk of disease: for instance, those who drank more than 100g/week raised their risk of stroke by 14%, fatal hypertensive disease (high blood pressure) by 24%, heart failure by 9%, and fatal aortic aneurysm (burst blood vessel) by 15%.

There was a medical conference where a speaker asked the audience who wanted to die of a heart attack. A few raised their hands.
The speaker asked if they wanted to die of an injury, a few more raised their hands.
The speaker asked if they wanted to die of cancer, no one raised their hands.
Then the speaker said, I guess it is dementia for the rest of you.

The day I can't do suduko is the day I eat only bacon dusted with cocaine and washed down with whiskey.

#5 | Posted by bored at 2018-04-15 02:16 AM | Reply

The speaker asked if they wanted to die of cancer, no one raised their hands.
Then the speaker said, I guess it is dementia for the rest of you.

LOL never forget, in the end, everyone dies from lack of oxygen to the brain.

#6 | Posted by jpw at 2018-04-15 02:30 AM | Reply

Great news! Trump will be around an extra 1.6 years.

#7 | Posted by patron at 2018-04-15 09:26 AM | Reply

guess they have never been to Wisconsin! lol

#8 | Posted by AuntieSocial at 2018-04-15 10:52 AM | Reply

Sitting here enjoying our Sunday morn mimosas, listening to Ray Lynch's Deep Breakfast and not wondering about how long we will live. Live large and enjoy life!

#9 | Posted by MSgt at 2018-04-15 11:39 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#3 | Posted by Corky

In case you haven't noticed, our creator did a pretty crappy job with respect to mental stability. Many feel the need to self-medicate, often using whatever is at their disposal. So, yeah, they have worse problems than the alcohol.

Too bad they just can't find Jesus instead.

#10 | Posted by Angrydad at 2018-04-15 11:42 AM | Reply

Is that guy lost again.

#11 | Posted by bruceaz at 2018-04-15 12:44 PM | Reply

The guy who turned the water into wine to keep the wedding party going wasn't anti self-medication or ant-celebration. Nor was the guy who wrote 2/3'rds of the NT being a killjoy when he spoke of moderation saying, "All things are lawful for me," but not all things are helpful. "All things are lawful for me," but I will not be enslaved by anything.".

Science confirming some of the dangers of disease caused by a lack of moderation when it comes to alcohol shouldn't make some people so defensive.

#12 | Posted by Corky at 2018-04-15 01:22 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

This seems like a thread posted so that Corky can cast his piety over the rest of us. Not surprised.

#13 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2018-04-15 02:37 PM | Reply

Seems like your reading comprehension sucks really badly.... when you want it to. I'm about as pious as Rogers at a Home Brew Festival. You may be thinking of whatever rwing TV evangelist taught you about piety.

#14 | Posted by Corky at 2018-04-15 03:47 PM | Reply

Making laws because of this "science" is what makes me defensive.

Glad you told me about this. Thanks. STFU. I'll make my decisions now.

#15 | Posted by boaz at 2018-04-15 04:39 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

What law based on this information are you referring to?

#16 | Posted by Corky at 2018-04-15 04:40 PM | Reply

Making laws because of this "science" is what makes me defensive.

Glad you told me about this. Thanks. STFU. I'll make my decisions now.

#15 | POSTED BY BOAZ

Me too. You don't mind second hand cannabis smoke in your face do you? Because I want to toke a fat doobie and toast you for that!

Because now you have to STFU about weed.

#17 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-04-15 04:54 PM | Reply

Man, what a grumpy crowd...

#18 | Posted by cbob at 2018-04-15 05:20 PM | Reply

"Making laws because of this "science" is what makes me defensive."

Science itself makes you defensive. It confuses you because you don't understand, it so you assume a defensive posture. Which is understandable. The unknown might contain a mortal threat.

#19 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-04-15 05:32 PM | Reply

What law based on this information are you referring to?

The one you nannying liberals are thinking of making a law.

#20 | Posted by boaz at 2018-04-15 06:18 PM | Reply

The one you nannying liberals are thinking of making a law.

Do you have a link to the proposed bill? I'd like to give it a read.

#21 | Posted by REDIAL at 2018-04-15 06:34 PM | Reply

The one you nannying liberals are thinking of making a law.

POSTED BY BOAZ AT 2018-04-15 06:18 PM | REPLY

Like your North Carolina bathroom bills??? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

#22 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-04-15 06:34 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Not what we are talking about Laura. But if I give you one, you give me one, how about that?

Or how we leave each other alone and let us live our lives without someone else commenting on it? Deal?

#23 | Posted by boaz at 2018-04-15 07:56 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Somethings take so long
But how do I explain
When not too many people
Can see we're all the same
And because of all their tears
Their eyes can't hope to see
The beauty that surrounds them
Isn't it a pity

#24 | Posted by bruceaz at 2018-04-15 08:16 PM | Reply

"The one you nannying liberals are thinking of making a law."

In a surprise twist, Boaz comes out in favor of legalizing all drugs!

#25 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-04-15 08:32 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

"The one you nannying liberals are thinking of making a law."

--Bozo, the thought policeman

#26 | Posted by Angrydad at 2018-04-15 09:28 PM | Reply

In a surprise twist, Boaz comes out in favor of legalizing all drugs!

I've always said legalize them, but as usual, you lie about me so you can make me look like the boogie man.

#27 | Posted by boaz at 2018-04-15 10:50 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#27 | POSTED BY BOAZ

No one makes you look like the boogie man but your very own posts comrade Boazo.

Unless you meant the other kind of "boogie" (see music), then knock your alt-right troglodyte self out.

#28 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2018-04-15 11:51 PM | Reply

But if I give you one, you give me one, how about that?

#23 | POSTED BY BOAZ AT 2018-04-15 07:56 PM | REPLY | FLAG

What are we giving each other??? Is it squares of toilet paper under the stall wall??? Now if you want to do a doodoo switcharoo you can forget it.

#29 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-04-16 12:07 AM | Reply

Every week, a new "study".
Wine is good, it extends life.
Wine is bad, it shortens life.
~~~~~~
Moderation is the key. Enjoy wine with dinner and don't stress about it.
Besides, life as we know it could cease with the next election if the criminal loving left takes over. (Where's my 45?)

#30 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2018-04-16 09:51 AM | Reply

AC/DC--"Touch Too Much"

#31 | Posted by madscientist at 2018-04-16 12:39 PM | Reply

NEVER drink the kool-aid of a Republican or a Democrat.

#32 | Posted by bayviking at 2018-04-16 01:00 PM | Reply

Fortunately, cannabis is coming to the rescue.

Trump Announces Unprecedented Support for Legalizing Marijuana
reason.com

U.S. Sen. Cory Gardner (D-CO) said in a statement. "Late Wednesday, I received a commitment from the President that the Department of Justice's rescission of the Cole memo will not impact Colorado's legal marijuana industry. Furthermore, President Trump has assured me that he will support a federalism-based legislative solution to fix this states' rights issue once and for all."

SPARKS, Nev. -- Donald Trump softened his tone on marijuana legalization on Thursday, saying at a political rally that states should be allowed to legalize marijuana if they chose to do so. Trump reaffirmed that he supports making medical marijuana available to patients who are very sick.

"In terms of marijuana and legalization, I think that should be a state issue, state-by-state," Trump said while taking a handful of questions during a political rally at a casino outside Reno on Thursday afternoon.

www.washingtonpost.com

#33 | Posted by nullifidian at 2018-04-16 01:15 PM | Reply

#33 | Posted by nullifidian

There's a reason Kim Jong Un lets his people smoke weed. He knows it makes them less likely to fight back against tyranny.

#34 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2018-04-16 02:09 PM | Reply

He knows it makes them less likely to fight back against tyranny.

#34 | Posted by SpeakSoftly

Does it? I haven't noticed. In the 60s it didn't stop us.

And maybe it helps keep me from going postal but I have been standing up to tyranny all my life.

Sic semper tyrannis

Semper Fi

#35 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-04-16 02:19 PM | Reply

Does it? I haven't noticed. In the 60s it didn't stop us.

#35 | Posted by donnerboy

No that was coke. Which made the hippies go from "save the world maaaan!" to "Screw the world! How much cash can I possibly make for myself?"

#36 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2018-04-16 02:39 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

cocaine makes people greedy?

#37 | Posted by eberly at 2018-04-16 02:57 PM | Reply

cocaine makes people greedy?

#37 | Posted by eberly

Cocaine makes people --------. -------- are often greedy.

#38 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2018-04-16 03:01 PM | Reply

I've never understood the argument that drinking alcohol might be good for you. It's like saying only smoking one cigarette a day, or one cigarette a month is good for you. It doesn't make any sense.

#39 | Posted by moder8 at 2018-04-16 05:11 PM | Reply

#39 | Posted by moder8

A lot of ignorant people say it doesn't make sense that mankind could change the climate.

Like the climate, biology is complex. Dont dismiss something because it doesn't make sense TO YOU. It makes sense to the specialists who study it.

#40 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2018-04-16 05:43 PM | Reply

"I've never understood the argument that drinking alcohol might be good for you."

I think the idea is are things that come along with the alcohol, like the tannins in red wine or whatever, that more than outweigh the toxic effects of alcohol.

#41 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-04-16 05:49 PM | Reply

#36 | Posted by SpeakSoftly

No, in the late 60s and early 70s it was weed and LSD (among other things happening in the world) that opened the doors of perception for many many people and made them realize they were being had by their government and they had the power to stop it.

#42 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-04-17 01:20 PM | Reply