Saturday, April 14, 2018

Longtime radio host Art Bell died Friday at his Pahrump home, the Nye County Sheriff's Office announced. He was 72. Bell's paranormal-themed show, "Coast to Coast AM," was syndicated on about 500 North American stations in the 1990s before he left the nightly show in 2002. He broadcast the show from Pahrump's KNYE 95.1 FM, a station he founded. Bell retired several times in his career, which included a short-lived show on SiriusXM satellite radio in 2013.

Comments

"According to the Coast to Coast AM website, Bell was an FCC licensed radio technician at age 13. He also set a Guinness World Record for a solo broadcast marathon, at more than 116 hours, while working as a DJ in Okinawa, Japan, the website said."

#1 | Posted by PunchyPossum at 2018-04-14 04:12 AM | Reply

Art was kind of a interesting person he once called himself libertarian

#2 | Posted by PunchyPossum at 2018-04-14 04:19 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

www.youtube.com

#3 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-04-14 05:34 AM | Reply

" How did Bell die? That's unknown, at least for now. He is scheduled for an autopsy later this week to determine the cause of death and was 72-years-old, the sheriff said in a videotaped press announcement."
heavy.com

#4 | Posted by PunchyPossum at 2018-04-14 06:36 AM | Reply

"then later he voted for Obama which I guess means he no longer considered himself a libertarian."

Nonsense. Many people who condider(ed) themselves more libertarian than either of the two major parties/ideologies in the U.S. voted for Obama, twice.

"Coast to coast in my opinion after Art left became crap and was no longer fun to listen to."

Completely agreed. Art explored wacky and paranormal stuff, but he always kept at least one foot grounded in realism and some skepticism. George Noory was/is just hokey.

I remember when the paranormal and alien stuff was confined to a separate show called Dreamland on Sunday nights, and the week nights show was topical news discussion. It was really different because Art never screened calls. (It was on a 5 to 10 second delay so he could prevent people from making FCC violations.) Some really interesting people used to call in regularly, although some of them were apparently characters who were his friends calling in from Parumph.

Charlie Liberal from California
Radio Free America
Good eeeeevening, Herr Bell, this is Pavo...

West of the Rockies, you're off the air. R.I.P Art.

I guess those rabbits finally got him.

#5 | Posted by sentinel at 2018-04-14 07:07 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

RIP Art, thanks for keeping us on graveyard entertained and awake.

#6 | Posted by patron at 2018-04-14 07:45 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

There should be two threads, one for folks East of the Rockies...

#7 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2018-04-14 08:36 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

"Longtime radio host Art Bell died Friday at his Pahrump home"

Maybe.......................................

#8 | Posted by HanoverFist at 2018-04-14 08:41 AM | Reply | Funny: 3

I remember when I was living in Portland 97 a friends's father introduced me to him. Spent most nights falling asleep listening. First time I ever heard of remote viewing, HAARP, and a dozen different Alien species. Good stuff. Yes, the show lost my interest when George Noory took over. RIP, Art. And thanks for the mind freak.

#9 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2018-04-14 10:27 AM | Reply

Some friends of mine and I had a custom of listening to Bell before or after late night horror/sci-fi movie screenings. He was the soundtrack and it was great. RIP.

#10 | Posted by worldasifindit at 2018-04-14 10:45 AM | Reply

"First time I ever heard of remote viewing, HAARP, and a dozen different Alien species."

Loved listening to him while driving through the night under
a crystal clear Nevada sky full of stars and possibilities.

RIP Art. And thanks for the mind freak.

#9 | POSTED BY HAGBARD_CELINE

At least we still have Alex Jones!

#11 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-04-14 11:03 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The Reptilian?

#12 | Posted by Zed at 2018-04-14 12:08 PM | Reply

"At least we still have Alex Jones!"

I don't know, man. I just learned about SoundCloud rappers yesterday. I think I've hit my limit for a while.

#13 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2018-04-14 12:22 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

I think I've hit my limit for a while.

#13 | POSTED BY HAGBARD_CELINE

No way man.

The Truth is still Out There.

#14 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-04-14 01:27 PM | Reply

We used to listen to Art late at night while coming home from gigs. I remember one of the funniest ones was when a woman's dead husband came back to haunt her so she threw a gin bottle at his ghost. Also reverse-speech was a big one, a woman who could talk to whales, tape recording spirits at deserted places like prisons and graveyards - and my favorite; Father Malachi Martin, RIP. He also interviewed Merle Haggard one night. That was great.

#15 | Posted by uncle_meat at 2018-04-14 02:27 PM | Reply

I loved the story about the Navy ship that traveled in time (Philadelphia Experiment), are 51 (which I would be driving near) and the one about the civilizations that live in the center of the earth and don't forget the upcoming supervolcano disaster and the descriptions of what and who will be left. It was like being a part of an ongoing episode of the Xfiles. And if you had a good airtight story you could call in and join in the game.

#16 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-04-14 02:52 PM | Reply

Area 51.

#17 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-04-14 02:53 PM | Reply

Just realized... Art passed away on Friday the 13th. That is so like him.

This thread should been the main headline on the front page. Bell was a legend.

#18 | Posted by sentinel at 2018-04-14 04:17 PM | Reply

Art Bell was the OG podcaster. Him and Paul Harvey were the voices of my childhood. RIP you gansta.

#19 | Posted by Alaskan_Guy at 2018-04-14 04:45 PM | Reply

Failed comedian Bill Hicks couldn't hold Art's jock.

Art had that unique style and that unique radio voice that can keep your attention.
RIP sir! :(

#20 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2018-04-14 05:08 PM | Reply

Of all the goofball DR obsessions, "Failed comedian Bill Hicks" has got to be the weirdest.

What did Bill Hicks do to you?

#21 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-04-14 05:10 PM | Reply

No kidding. How is bill hicks anything like alex jones either?

#22 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2018-04-14 05:25 PM | Reply

Wow, it seems I have few friends on this board - I do not care much for "professional" paranormal, ghosts and reverse speech analysis. Art attracted me with tidbits of information about the Iraq situation and I began listening every night - other than the nights listed above. He was my favorite host, and George Noory is excellent too. That time reminds me of Air America before they killed that station and every local liberal AM voice, replacing them with more needless sports channels. I watched Washington Journal 4-7am religiously every morning until they made it Comcast subscriber access only. While there were few alternative news Art Bell was still playing at midnight. His show introduced a lot of new voices and data to topics that mainstream narration deliberately removes. I was also interested in Alex Jones, but his yelling is repulsive - the opposite of the powerful C2CAM voices. Goodbye Art, masterful host and companion to night owls.

#23 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2018-04-14 09:58 PM | Reply

I can see Alex Jones and Bill Hicks as two sides of the same coin. Good and evil twins. There are superficial similarities but in terms of character and moral fiber they're polar opposites. Alex Jones contribution to humanity is that of a fire at a toxic waste dump.

#24 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-04-14 10:16 PM | Reply

Bell's show was so fun at first.

Then it started making people paranoid and mean.

#25 | Posted by Tor at 2018-04-14 10:28 PM | Reply

coast to coast in my opinion after Art left became crap and was no longer fun to listen to."

#2 | POSTED BY PUNCHYPOSSUM

I agree. I stopped listening after Noory took over. It just wasn't the same.

Art was an excellent interviewer and kept the show edgy. A lot of the shows were fascinating and when he did the show, I would hang on his every word.

Art could almost make me believe half of that stuff.

#26 | Posted by shane at 2018-04-14 11:55 PM | Reply

You do know that he is not really dead, do you not? Just a conspiracy theory!

#27 | Posted by MSgt at 2018-04-15 12:28 AM | Reply

Beamed back to the mother ship...

#28 | Posted by Greatamerican at 2018-04-15 01:21 AM | Reply

You do know that he is not really dead, do you not? Just a conspiracy theory!
#27 | Posted by MSgt at 2018-04-15 12:28 AM

WHAT DID YOU DO MSGT?!

#29 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2018-04-15 02:00 AM | Reply

Failed comedian Bill Hicks is Alex Jones. One in the same.
Bill Hicks faked his death a had a little bit of plastic surgery, changed his accent a bit. He's pulled the wool over a lot of gullible alt-right rubes that believe him and buy his info wars trinkets.

#30 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2018-04-15 07:55 PM | Reply