Friday, April 13, 2018

A 14-year-old missed his bus and it nearly cost him his life. Things took a dangerous turn when Brennan Walker went looking for help at a Rochester Hills home Thursday morning and was confronted by a man with a gun. Walker was trying to walk the bus route to Rochester High School after he woke up late and missed his bus. His mom had taken his phone away, so he didn't have that with him to get directions. So he knocked on a stranger's door for help -- and almost paid for it with his life.

Comments

From the cited article..

...That's where investigators told her the family's Ring doorbell recorded the encounter. Investigators watched the video with Brennan and his mom. She says the video confirmed their suspicions.

"One of the things that stands out, that probably angers me the most is, while I was watching the tape, you can hear the wife say, 'Why did "these people" choose my house?'" she says, before taking a long pause. "Who are, "these people?" And that set me off. I didn't want to believe it was what it appeared to look like. When I heard her say that, it was like, but it is [what it looks like]."

Authorities haven't released that security video. ...

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2018-04-13 12:35 PM | Reply

Oh I see. Responsible gun owners prevented a racially motivated home invasion.

Put this one squarely in the "Guns Keep Us Safe" column.

#2 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-04-13 01:12 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

If there was one kid why was she saying "these people"?
Also, she's in the privacy of her own home, why didn't she call the kid a -- -- -- ?

#3 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2018-04-13 01:33 PM | Reply

I was greeted with a gun one day after I knocked on a door. I'm white and was wearing a suit and tie, attempting to introduce myself to a new neighbor in broad daylight and invite him over for coffee. The man actually left by his own back door and came around the front to get the drop on me.

We never did quite get together for that coffee.

#4 | Posted by Zed at 2018-04-13 02:38 PM | Reply

@#3 ... If there was one kid why was she saying "these people"? ...

Perfectly acceptable usage.

For example, I have a cast iron frying pan. I use it a lot.

I have said to my friend, while holding up the one pan, I like these cast iron frying pans. I was referring to the entire genre, not specifically to the one at hand.

#5 | Posted by LampLighter at 2018-04-13 03:50 PM | Reply

a -- -- -- ?

#3 | POSTED BY 101CHAIRBORNE AT 2018-04-13 01:33 PM | FLAG:

probaly thought he was a jehova's witness.

#6 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-04-13 09:34 PM | Reply

probaly thought he was a jehova's witness.

#6 | POSTED BY BRUCEBANNER

Oh, are they in season now?

#7 | Posted by WhoDaMan at 2018-04-13 10:08 PM | Reply

He shot at the kids back while he was running away?

Oh well he will have plenty of time to practice his aim at the NRA sponsored gun range in white prison.

#8 | Posted by bored at 2018-04-13 10:24 PM | Reply

As if he's going to prison.

#9 | Posted by REDIAL at 2018-04-13 10:27 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

He's 14 and can't find his way to school?...i don't think that he needed to be shot at BUT he definitely needs more instructions before leaving home alone

#10 | Posted by ABlock at 2018-04-14 09:45 AM | Reply

#8 He shot at the kids back while he was running away?

He should be a cop.

#10 he probably was staring at his phone on the Retort every morning on the bus ride. Right Tripoli?
Lol

#11 | Posted by bruceaz at 2018-04-14 10:13 AM | Reply

I understand not everyone wants to be visited. Sales people come so much to our neighborhood, I do tend to get rude when they come. It gets tiring. People have a right to privacy and not everyone is just sitting at home waiting for someone to knock on the door.

That being said, no one should be greeted at the door with a gun.

But this is the racist filled climate we live in today. Thanks Obama and BLM.

#12 | Posted by boaz at 2018-04-14 01:09 PM | Reply | Funny: 4

?

#13 | Posted by Zed at 2018-04-14 01:30 PM | Reply

#12 there is no rule you have to answer the door.

Having chosen your biblical handle you would turn down a person of need?

Obama, What?

Bereau of land management, what what what?

#14 | Posted by bruceaz at 2018-04-14 01:56 PM | Reply

" People have a right to privacy and not everyone is just sitting at home waiting for someone to knock on the door. "

Is that what you do? Nervously sit around waiting for someone to knock on your door?

Maybe you should get a life and stop worrying about your door. Get a Ring for yourself.

But just a friendly word of advice, don't illegally shoot at people and then record the encounter for the cops to see. That's pretty damn dumb.

#15 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-04-14 02:17 PM | Reply

Has the NRA given her their Responsible Gun Owner Of The Year award yet?

#16 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-04-14 05:37 PM | Reply

"But this is the racist filled climate we live in today. Thanks Obama and BLM."

Yes. If only all the black people would go away, it would really make a lot of the racism go away too.
When are you going back to Africa, for the good of your country?
Maybe it's time to start you a GoFundMe.

#17 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-04-14 05:38 PM | Reply

But this is the racist filled climate we live in today. Thanks Obama and BLM.

#12 | POSTED BY BOAZ AT 2018-04-14 01:09 PM | FLAG: | FUNNY: 1

Physician heal thyself. You're possibly the most racist person that currently posts here.

#18 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2018-04-14 05:41 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

POSTED BY ALEXANDRITE AT 2018-04-14 05:41 PM | REPLY

I TOTALLY AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#19 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-04-14 05:47 PM | Reply

i hate saying that to boaz because he's always been kind
to me, and he served his country.

but he really seems to hate black people, and that's a shame.

#20 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2018-04-14 05:50 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

When are you going back to Africa, for the good of your country?

Ask Black Lives Matter, or the NAACP, I notice you dont ask THEM that question when they are the ones always complaining.

but he really seems to hate black people, and that's a shame.

If hating my race means I point out their hypocricies, then ok, I must hate them.
If hating my race means I hold them accountable for their behavior, then Ok, I must hate them.

But no liberal ever asks the question, why are blacks who hold the race accountable for cultural and behavior destruction treated so badly? Why would someone NOT want a person in the race who is holding the race accountable for behavior that plays into the hands of racists? Who is the ones doing the bashing?

Notice who is bashing me.

#21 | Posted by boaz at 2018-04-15 08:22 AM | Reply | Funny: 3 | Newsworthy 1

"If hating my race means I hold them accountable for their actions, then ok, I must hate them."

You hold Emmett Till accountable for his actions when he flirted with that white woman; we get it.
That's why you're racist.
Why don't you get that?

#22 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-04-15 03:40 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"How can they charge the guy who tried to murder him? He simply didn't want to be bothered. Who can fault him for that??? That ****** got what he deserved!"

-- boaz

www.npr.org

#23 | Posted by MrSilenceDogood at 2018-04-15 04:43 PM | Reply

Redial,

"As if he's going to prison."

Yes...he will.

Maybe not as long as some people would think but he will do time.

Boaz is right.

Racism is still bad today and both blacks and whites are fanning the flames.

It's in our leaders best interest to keep us riled up so they can come to the rescue.

But this man is going to prison.

#24 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-04-15 08:31 PM | Reply

"Racism is still bad today and both blacks and whites are fanning the flames."

Ringing a doorbell while black == fanning the flames of racism.

#25 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-04-15 08:35 PM | Reply

I'm Not racist. That whites only sign above my doorbell is for your protection.

#26 | Posted by bruceaz at 2018-04-15 08:44 PM | Reply

Snoofy,

Don't put words in my mouth.

This boy did nothing that of the sort. He was only asking for directions.

In many ways I put the blame on our leaders (who want control and money) and the media (who want control and money) for never seeing the good in anything.

#27 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-04-15 08:55 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Redial, "As if he's going to prison." Yes...he will.

I seriously doubt it.

Boaz is right.

That would be a first.

#28 | Posted by REDIAL at 2018-04-15 09:15 PM | Reply

"Notice who is bashing me."

That would damn near everybody here, -------.

#29 | Posted by Angrydad at 2018-04-15 09:17 PM | Reply

"I seriously doubt it."

I dunno...

The retired Detroit firefighter was arraigned Friday afternoon. Jeffrey Zeigler has been charged with Assault with Intent to Murder; and Felony Firearms. He received a bond of $50,000, with conditions, and is due in court again April 24.

This is a developing story. Stay with FOX 2 for updates.

This situation is an eerie reminder of one that ended tragically in Dearborn Heights, Mich. back in 2013 and got national headlines, when a homeowner shot and killed a young woman in the middle of the night after she knocked on his door.

It's not completely known why 19-year-old Renisha McBride knocked on Ted Wafer's door that night, though she had crashed her car a few blocks away. She had been drinking and was disoriented when she went up to his house, but she was not armed.

Wafer testified he grabbed his shotgun opened the door and fired his weapon at McBride because he feared she was an intruder, and that he killed her in self-defense, but the jury did not agree.

He was convicted of second-degree murder and sentenced to at least 17 years in prison. Last year, he tried to get an appeal based on jury instructions but the Michigan Supreme Court denied that appeal in March.

#30 | Posted by Angrydad at 2018-04-15 09:22 PM | Reply

I dunno...

Good point... there may be hope.

#31 | Posted by REDIAL at 2018-04-15 09:29 PM | Reply

I always open my door with a shotgun because I suspect an intruder .

Or I could use my phone. WTF is that thing....oh I'm posting on that right now

Excuse me there's someone at the door.

Lock and load.

#32 | Posted by bruceaz at 2018-04-15 09:31 PM | Reply

"I am referring to Boaz's comment that racism exists today and I agree with him that both blacks and whites are part of the problem in different ways."

You and Boaz aren't any different. You're both the same part of the problem.
You can't connect the dots.

You're better at it when it comes to being homophobic, though. Just as Boaz thinks he isn't racist, you think you aren't homophobic.

#33 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-04-15 10:23 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Bill is homophobic? Guess you're not familiar.....

#34 | Posted by bruceaz at 2018-04-15 10:40 PM | Reply

I'm well acquainted with his disdain for gay marriage, gay rights in general, gay equality, and the "gay lifestyle," whatever that is.

#35 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-04-15 10:56 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Maybe, but he tried it out first.

#36 | Posted by bruceaz at 2018-04-15 11:00 PM | Reply

Snoofy,

You live in an alternate reality where you make up stuff in your mind and then actually believe it.

I've known people like that all my life.

They hear someone say something and decide, "here's what they REALLY meant" and then accuse people of saying it.

#37 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-04-16 03:47 PM | Reply

I bet you've heard the words, "I never said that" directed at you many times in your life.

Come on...fess up.

#38 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-04-16 03:53 PM | Reply

Come on...fess up.

#38 | POSTED BY BILLJOHNSON

I'm guessing several times per day, both online and in person.

#39 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-04-16 03:54 PM | Reply

BillJohnson opposes gay marriage.
Let's be clear about that.

#40 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-04-16 04:05 PM | Reply

Snoofy,

Yes I was opposed to GM and would have preferred Civil Unions.

And personally I support churches right to teach homosexual activity is a sin.

Does that me homophobic or supporting freedom of religion?

#41 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-04-16 04:27 PM | Reply

"Does that me homophobic"

It's safe to say anyone who opposes gay marriage is homophobic.

Here, try this: Is someone who opposes legalized interracial marriage racist?

JeffJ will try and find a way to say no, but he will be wrong.

#42 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-04-16 04:33 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"As I've said before I am concerned the use of the word marriage could lead to a legal problem for churches that will not permit gay couples to rent the sanctuary but will allow straight couples."

I see where you are coming from.

And when the word marriage was taken to mean interracial marriages too, the same fear was felt about blacks coming to their churches.

But only by racists.

#43 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-04-16 04:40 PM | Reply

"And personally I support churches right to teach homosexual activity is a sin."

You don't just support the right. You support the belief that homosexual activity is a sin. This too makes you homophobic.

You wouldn't question if it were homophobic if it was ISIS throwing gays off rooftops, in accord with their belief that homosexual activity is a sin.

#44 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-04-16 04:42 PM | Reply

Smoofy,

I explained myself and now I'm done.

#45 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-04-16 04:47 PM | Reply

Done what, understanding what you are?

You should really get around to that someday.

Be well.

#46 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-04-16 04:48 PM | Reply

Snoofy,

"It's safe to say anyone who opposes gay marriage is homophobic."

Why do you presume Gay Marriage was ever part of "gay rights"?

I would say gays do have a right to have protection for themselves and their relationships.

But what does that have to do with marriage?

Nothing. Any legal document written as such would have been sufficient.

Civil Unions could be have perfectly adequate.

#47 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-04-16 06:14 PM | Reply

"Why do you presume Gay Marriage was ever part of "gay rights"?

For the same reason I view legalizing interracial marriage as part of civil rights for blacks.

#48 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-04-16 06:23 PM | Reply

"The mistake was that the government ever got involved in registering "marriages" and took it out of the church."

Well, seeing as that mistake happened hundreds of years ago, and it has nothing to do with gays, the way to rectify that mistske isn't to deny gays the right to marry.

#49 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-04-16 06:26 PM | Reply

Snoofy,

They are very different.

#50 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-04-16 06:28 PM | Reply

#47 | POSTED BY BILLJOHNSON AT 2018-04-16 06:14 PM | FLAG:

So make a distinction between "civil" and "telling good" marriages (as many religions already do). Problem solved.

#51 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-04-16 06:35 PM | Reply

Telling good? How did "religious" become "telling good?" I am not sure whether autocorrect is being unusually foolish or unusually profound...

#52 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-04-16 06:37 PM | Reply

"Assuming interracial marriage and gay marriage are functionally the same is pretty shallow thinking."

Functionally, what's the difference, from the state's point of view?

#53 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-04-16 06:50 PM | Reply