Friday, April 13, 2018

President Trump on Thursday instructed top administration officials to explore re-entering the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) -- a trade pact he pulled the U.S. out of last year while calling it a "disaster." Speaking after a trade meeting with Trump, Republican senators said the president told White House National Economic Council Director Larry Kudlow and U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer to look into joining the deal, which 11 other Pacific Rim nations signed in March. "The president multiple times reaffirmed in general to all of us and looked right at Larry Kudlow and said, 'Larry, go get it done,' " Sen. Ben Sasse (R-Neb.), a vocal proponent of free trade, told reporters at the White House. Sasse cautioned that Trump "is a guy who likes to blue-sky a lot and entertain a lot of different ideas," suggesting the president could eventually change his mind.

Comments

Trump asks staff to look at new talks on trade deal he killed last year

The delegations from Iowa, Nebraska, North Dakota, Montana, Kansas, and South Dakota visited Trump to express concern about trade conflict with China.

Trump administration's threats to put tariffs of Chinese goods has led to counter-threats by China on U.S. goods -- moves that agriculture leaders say will lead to higher prices for everybody.

Trump told his guest[s] he would take steps to help farmers, including new ethanol support.

Sen. Pat Roberts, R-Kan., chairman of the Senate Agriculture Committee, said the group told Trump they would "prefer trade as opposed to aid," and urged him to take another look at the Trans-Pacific Partnership.

www.msn.com

#1 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-04-12 09:44 PM | Reply

Hehe... the hits just keep on a'coming.

#2 | Posted by REDIAL at 2018-04-12 09:55 PM | Reply

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

#3 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-04-12 10:22 PM | Reply

This place would fill diapers if Trump brokered a better deal.

#4 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2018-04-12 10:57 PM | Reply

This place would fill diapers if Trump brokered a better deal.

Better than what he said was the worst deal in history? Kinda hard to lose, no?

#5 | Posted by REDIAL at 2018-04-12 11:06 PM | Reply

#4 lol only if there was evidence he did it on purpose as opposed to the likely occurrence of him being the proverbial blind squirrel.

Why are you so enthralled with him, comrade?

#6 | Posted by jpw at 2018-04-12 11:06 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

More tax cuts coming?:

Mr. Kudlow said fears of a trade war were premature, a breakthrough on the long-stalled North American Free Trade Agreement was possible, a second tax-cut bill was under consideration by Mr. Trump, and a large infrastructure initiative was still a "big priority."

Mr. Kudlow said the president was open to a second round of tax cuts whose details were "not nailed down," but could include making the personal income tax reductions and some business investment incentives permanent.

"The president looks on it favorably, but nothing's coming to fruition," said Mr. Kudlow, who added that he had not focused on the endeavor.

www.nytimes.com

#7 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-04-12 11:11 PM | Reply

"This place would fill diapers if Trump brokered a better deal.
#4 | POSTED BY SHEEPLESCHISM"

I know!
Let's whatabout the DR some more.

#8 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-04-12 11:13 PM | Reply

#1 Dotard Donny, the flaming ass cancer, might listen to reason.

Note that this is what republican leaders are saying.
Apparently welfare is fine for farmers.

#9 | Posted by bored at 2018-04-13 12:37 AM | Reply

"Sounds like Soros has gotten to the chairman of the Senate Agriculture Committee."

DEEP STATE
www.youtube.com

#10 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-04-13 12:46 AM | Reply

This place would fill diapers if Trump brokered a better deal.

#4 | POSTED BY SHEEPLESCHISM

Negotiate what? The TPP is already done and signed by member countries. They drafted a new but similar agreement after the US left. We can't just renegotiate the entire thing over again picking and choosing what we like. We basically have to accept 99% of its terms or we are out. Any terms we liked in the original but didn't make it to the new agreement, well we're out of luck because we will pulled out. Now likely we have a slightly worse agreement Trump is getting us into.

Stupid Conservatives screw the country again.

#11 | Posted by Sycophant at 2018-04-13 01:58 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#11 | POSTED BY SYCOPHANT

Dude, stop making me agree with you. It's getting uncomfortable. :-)

#12 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-04-13 02:01 AM | Reply

Stupid Conservatives screw the country again.

#11 | Posted by Sycophant

www.youtube.com

#13 | Posted by jpw at 2018-04-13 02:08 AM | Reply

Dude, stop making me agree with you. It's getting uncomfortable. :-)

Man. ----- been way too jovial on the DR tonight.

---- you JeffJ!

#14 | Posted by jpw at 2018-04-13 02:09 AM | Reply

Back at you. JPW.

It's not my fault that Sycophant has brought his A-game today.

I'd like to tell you to eff off but we are discussing micro-beer and single malt scotch....

#15 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-04-13 02:13 AM | Reply

It's the few times I miss goatman. He could be a giant pain in the ass when arguing/debating news items but damn was he invaluable to the "life" threads.

#16 | Posted by jpw at 2018-04-13 02:21 AM | Reply

Things feel hollow because life and politics have become serious.

#17 | Posted by Zed at 2018-04-13 08:00 AM | Reply

Life has always been serious. Politics is just gossip and raw entertainment in order to drive revenue.

Some serious stuff mixed in,but for the most part it seems more like grocery store tabloids with less babies found on the moon.

#18 | Posted by Lohocla at 2018-04-13 08:20 AM | Reply

#16 | POSTED BY JPW

I feel exactly the same way. When it came to life stuff Goatman was pretty awesome. His personal anecdotes were pretty darn cool and his cooking insights were priceless.

#19 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-04-13 09:22 AM | Reply

All the reasons that most people disagreed with TPP are still part of TPP; secondly tariffs are not permissible under TPP; Trump is bouncing around like he's drunk.

#20 | Posted by danni at 2018-04-13 10:59 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#18 | Posted by Lohocla

Yeah people having/losing healthcare, the planet being saved/destroyed... all just gossip and raw entertainment.

#21 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2018-04-13 11:17 AM | Reply

@#5 ... Better than what he said was the worst deal in history? Kinda hard to lose, no? ...

It would be impossible for Pres Trump to lose, because Pres Trump would be the one deciding if he won or lost.

In business, you set goals, and you are rated by how well you meet those goals.

What goals has Pres Trump set ahead of time for anything he has negotiated? None.

Yet he always declares himself the winner, saying that he did great.

#22 | Posted by LampLighter at 2018-04-13 11:28 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

@#16 ... I was thinking how hollow the DR feels lately. Far fewer regulars commenting than usual and far fewer moments/threads of 'screw partisan bickering, this is important' kind of stuff.

----, there used to be book threads, astronomy threads, cooking, booze, music... ...

I used to be able to go to a Saturday afternoon BBQ and spend the entire afternoon talking about things, and politics never came up.

Can't do that anymore.

Unfortunately, we have become more politicized, more tribal. And I do not think that is a good thing. During the waning days of the 2016 campaign, I stated more than once that regardless who won, I had a strong concern about where the Country would be after Election Day.

That concern appears to have been warranted.

#23 | Posted by LampLighter at 2018-04-13 11:34 AM | Reply

This may sound partisan but what Lamplighter says is true but we all know why it is happening. It is right wing hate talk, you can pretend you disagree with me but we all know it is true. I've said it before, we have to deal with our media, we cannot allow 24/7 propaganda to flow into the heads of so many people.

#24 | Posted by danni at 2018-04-13 12:16 PM | Reply

I have a question for anyone who knows about Twitter, because I don't. How awful do you have to be to have your account revoked by Twitter. I only ask because someone I know pretty well just had his revoked.

#25 | Posted by danni at 2018-04-13 12:18 PM | Reply

Best summary I found Danni.
www.chrisg.com

#26 | Posted by bored at 2018-04-13 12:32 PM | Reply

"It is right wing hate talk, you can pretend you disagree with me but we all know it is true. I've said it before, we have to deal with our media, we cannot allow 24/7 propaganda to flow into the heads of so many people." #24 | POSTED BY DANNI

"Hate talk" and "propaganda" is hardly exclusive to "right wing" media.

and I'll add, "...you can pretend you disagree with me but we all know it is true."

#27 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2018-04-13 12:32 PM | Reply

""Hate talk" and "propaganda" is hardly exclusive to "right wing" media."

It is for the most part, you can deny it but it's still true. Progressives do not just pump out hate 24/7 and we don't have all the TV channels and radio stations anyway. That is an ownership problem created by the Telecommunications Act of 1996.

#28 | Posted by danni at 2018-04-13 12:35 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

"Hate talk" and "propaganda" is hardly exclusive to "right wing" media."
-----

#28 | POSTED BY DANNI A

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

#29 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-04-13 01:23 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

I think it can be relatively easy.

My buddy got suspended for tweeting hulk hogan and bagging on him about his wife banging a 19 year old friend of her sons. It was technically two tweets. Not graphic language.
I know he has tweeted some tame trolls to other celebs too. Petty, but nothing like the old retort trolls.

Another person I work with got their account closed for arguing with a local radio duo over the Buffalo Bills.

I think it's easy to get another account because they both did.

In other words, the guy you know may not be a monster due to getting the boot.

#30 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2018-04-13 01:27 PM | Reply

I should add that the rabid hulk fans and radio duos fans dogpiled my acquaintances and probably flagged or reported them.

They're like Taylor swift fans.

#31 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2018-04-13 01:30 PM | Reply

"In other words, the guy you know may not be a monster due to getting the boot."

I appreciate your answer because I never considered him to be an angry or threatening type of person.

#32 | Posted by danni at 2018-04-13 01:38 PM | Reply

"Hate talk" and "propaganda" is hardly exclusive to "right wing" media.

#27 | Posted by SheepleSchism

"You think we're so innocent?"

-King of whataboutism

Show me the left wing equivalent of breitbart. Show me the left wing equivalent of klan rallies.

#33 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2018-04-13 02:30 PM | Reply

#21 | POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY

As i posted, some serious stuff mixed in.

#34 | Posted by Lohocla at 2018-04-13 02:42 PM | Reply

I think it can be relatively easy.
I think it's easy to get another account because they both did.
In other words, the guy you know may not be a monster due to getting the boot.

#30 | POSTED BY 101CHAIRBORNE

I don't buy it. Sorry. I have a hunch they did a bit more because getting banned on Twitter is not that easy.

#35 | Posted by Sycophant at 2018-04-13 02:44 PM | Reply

TPP Nations Welcome Trump's Interest, Don't Want Renegotiation
www.bloomberg.com

...Members of an 11-nation Asia-Pacific trade pact said Friday they opposed any renegotiation of the deal to accommodate the U.S. should it decide to rejoin at a later date.

Ministers from Japan, Australia and Malaysia welcomed President Donald Trump directing officials to explore returning to the Trans-Pacific Partnership, a pact he withdrew from shortly after coming to office. But they also cautioned against making any significant changes.

"We welcome the U.S. coming back to the table but I don't see any wholesale appetite for any material re-negotiation of the TPP-11," Australia Trade Minister Steven Ciobo said Friday.

Toshimitsu Motegi, Japan's minister in charge of TPP, also said it would be difficult to change the deal, calling it a "balanced one, like fine glassware." Malaysia's International Trade and Industry Minister Mustapa Mohamed echoed these remarks, saying that renegotiation would "alter the balance of benefits for parties."...

#36 | Posted by LampLighter at 2018-04-13 02:46 PM | Reply

The guy that got the boot for the Hulk stuff says it was the Hulkamaniacs that got him banned. My other buddies on twitter mock him about it (and the fact he is still a fan of Hogan). I'd assume one of them would have known if he was booted for reasons other than that because they follow each other (if that's the proper terminology).
Plus, this guy isn't the type to hide anything bad or atrocious he has done or thought.

I just know the other guy from work, but he claims that the hosts and their loyalists targeted him and the ensuing bickering got him booted.

#37 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2018-04-13 02:54 PM | Reply

#37 | POSTED BY 101CHAIRBORNE

Okay. I'll take your word on it.

#38 | Posted by Sycophant at 2018-04-13 03:21 PM | Reply

It was incredibly foolish to leave that agreement in the first place.

He was getting all tough with our allies while bending over for Putin...

Trumplethinskin is such a incompetent turd...

I swear he is the living personification of everything bad and stupid about the silver spooer baby boomer generation.

#39 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2018-04-15 02:48 AM | Reply