Wednesday, April 11, 2018

A new national poll of America's 18- to 29-year-olds by Harvard's Institute of Politics (IOP), located at the Kennedy School of Government, finds a marked increase in the number of young Americans who indicate that they will "definitely be voting" in the upcoming midterm Congressional elections. Overall, 37 percent of Americans under 30 indicates that they will "definitely be voting," compared to 23 percent who said the same in 2014, and 31 percent in 2010, the year of the last "wave" election. Young Democrats are driving nearly all of the increase in enthusiasm; a majority (51%) report that they will "definitely" vote in November, which represents a 9-percentage point increase since November 2017 and is significantly larger than the 36 percent of Republicans who say the same. At this point in the 2014 election cycle, 28 percent of Democrats and 31 percent of Republicans indicated that they would "definitely" be voting. In the Spring of 2010, 35 percent of Democrats and 41 percent of Republicans held a similar interest in voting.

Comments

Now, how do we get them to vote?

#1 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-04-11 12:58 PM | Reply

While the numbers do not look good, and seem to be getting worse, we still have not yet gotten into the campaign season.

#2 | Posted by LampLighter at 2018-04-11 02:59 PM | Reply

Now, how do we stop these people from voting?

-highly paid GOP strategists.

#3 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2018-04-11 09:48 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I'm confident Democrats can still find a way to screw them over and lose another generation.

#4 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-04-11 09:56 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

No they won't, they're stupid.

#5 | Posted by zelkova at 2018-04-11 09:56 PM | Reply

At a private luncheon, Senator Heller says low turnout is key to re-election, promised ACA repeal
www.dailykos.com

...Senator Dean Heller has been avoiding constituents and his staff tossed out a woman battling Stage 4 cancer when she dared to ask about his stance on the Affordable Care Act, but he sure had a lot to say on the subject at a mysteriously closed-to-the-press luncheon where he was collecting checks and making promises. The Las Vegas Review-Journal was able to get audio of Heller's speech to the Nevada Republican Men's Club and his comments were surprising, especially his strategy for winning in November:

"We now have less than 60,000 more registered Democrats than Republicans. Let me be more clear. If we can get that number below 50,000, I can't lose," Heller said Tuesday in Las Vegas, according to audio obtained by the Las Vegas Review-Journal. "I can't lose. Because the ratio of voter turnout in a non-presidential year -- we're in a non-presidential year -- the tendency of Republicans to vote is higher than the other party."

A sitting U.S. senator is hoping people don't participate in democracy. How can you represent a state where you are trying to discourage the majority from turning out for an election? Based on current trends in special elections, Heller's strategy is going to be a loser. Bigly.

#6 | Posted by LampLighter at 2018-04-11 09:58 PM | Reply

They won't vote.

#7 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-04-11 11:11 PM | Reply

Poll: Increased Number of Youth AND DEAD Say They Will Vote

#8 | Posted by Maverick at 2018-04-12 09:52 AM | Reply

Now, how do we stop these people from voting?
-highly paid GOP strategists.

#3 | POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY AT 2018-04-11 09:48 PM | FLAG:

Weed and video games

#9 | Posted by fishpaw at 2018-04-12 10:18 AM | Reply

Weed and video games

#9 | Posted by fishpaw

Hence why john boehner is now selling weed.

#10 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2018-04-12 11:15 AM | Reply

"Now, how do we stop these people from voting?"

"Weed and video games"

They never stopped me from voting.

#11 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2018-04-12 12:28 PM | Reply

#11 That's unfortunate.

#12 | Posted by fishpaw at 2018-04-12 12:52 PM | Reply

#11 That's unfortunate.

well, unlike you, not everyone is motivated by hatred and racism

#13 | Posted by klifferd at 2018-04-12 04:34 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"Now, how do we stop these people from voting?"
"Weed and video games"
They never stopped me from voting.

#11 | POSTED BY HAGBARD_CELINE

Me, either. I've been smoking weed since 1967 and voting since 1968.

#14 | Posted by WhoDaMan at 2018-04-12 10:27 PM | Reply

"Now, how do we stop these people from voting?"
"Weed and video games"
They never stopped me from voting.

#11 | POSTED BY HAGBARD_CELINE
Me, either. I've been smoking weed since 1967 and voting since 1968.

POSTED BY WHODAMAN AT 2018-04-12 10:27 PM | REPLY

How do you all stand that nasty smelling vomitous crap anyways????

#15 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-04-12 10:29 PM | Reply

#15 | POSTED BY LAURAMOHR

Let's just say it's an acquired taste. Some folks like beer; I don't.

#16 | Posted by WhoDaMan at 2018-04-12 10:50 PM | Reply

Some folks like beer; I don't.

#16 | POSTED BY WHODAMAN

You don't like beer?

I am so, so sorry.

#17 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-04-12 10:52 PM | Reply

I prefer "spirits" (more specifically, Scotch) or wine.

#18 | Posted by WhoDaMan at 2018-04-13 12:04 AM | Reply

You don't like beer?

I am so, so sorry.

#17 | Posted by JeffJ

Especially with the explosion of breweries and brewing the past 15-20 years.

If there isn't a beer being produced out there at this point in time that you don't like then I think the universe just hates you.

#19 | Posted by jpw at 2018-04-13 12:42 AM | Reply

Especially with the explosion of breweries and brewing the past 15-20 years.

#19 | POSTED BY JPW

I remember a while back Sitzkrieg pointing out that we have a Jimmy Carter deregulation to thank for our plethora of micro-brewed nirvana.

I prefer "spirits" (more specifically, Scotch) or wine.

#18 | POSTED BY WHODAMAN

I just picked up 2 bottles of single malt (Ardbeg AN OA and Highland Park 12) for my father-in-law. Problem is he asked me to pick out 4 bottles for him but I'll be out and about for work tomorrow and can easily pick out 2 more quality bottles in the $80-$100 range for him.

#20 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-04-13 12:46 AM | Reply

I never liked beer. One of my deplorable Texas redneck uncles gave me one when I was 3, and I didn't like it then, and I haven't liked it since. It could have been Pearl or Lone Star, though, so there's that. I did occasionally enjoy a beer with pizza, or the Nickel Beer Wed at the Showdown in college, but that was just to wash down the Quaaludes and the acid.

Later, in the 80's in the Silicon Valley, it was nearly frozen Stoli and coke... cocaine, I mean. You had to be there. Is this too much information?

#21 | Posted by Corky at 2018-04-13 01:00 AM | Reply

Yup. Well, as I understand it, indirectly. He made home brewing legal (with a per year gallon limit), which led to the explosion of new breweries.

In any case, that's enough for me to put Carter on my top 5 POTUS list.

I just picked up 2 bottles of single malt (Ardbeg AN OA and Highland Park 12)

Ardbeg.

A friend bought a bottle for me as a gift when I finished my PhD.

I remember pouring the first glass and thinking "that's the lightest scotch I've ever seen".

Then I smelled and tasted that glass of peaty deliciousness.

#22 | Posted by jpw at 2018-04-13 01:08 AM | Reply

"Is this too much information?"

As long as your TMI doesn't include too much T&A, we cool.

#23 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-04-13 01:08 AM | Reply

You mean you haven't always been a stiff? :)

#24 | Posted by jpw at 2018-04-13 01:09 AM | Reply

- a stiff?

That's just your blogger perception bias showing.

- we cool

We always cool... wait, is there such a thing as too much T&A? Do you know a poem about that?

- finished my PhD.

My daughter finished hers a couple of years ago. She's a Sr Scientist... going to a BioGeoChem conference next week. I only have the degrees I got while on acid and weed in the 70's.

#25 | Posted by Corky at 2018-04-13 01:16 AM | Reply

That's just your blogger perception bias showing.

Text only can be hard to read. And most people around here seem like they're a stiff or f'in crazy.

Biogeochem. Didn't think much about that discipline until I saw a talk from a virologist at UBC who, by sequencing sea water at various depths at tons of locations around the world, found that viruses (and, mostly, bacteria phage) are a huge carbon sink and play a role in driving global carbon cycles.

#26 | Posted by jpw at 2018-04-13 01:22 AM | Reply

Was it Rob Edwards?

#27 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-04-13 01:26 AM | Reply

Yeah, I keep warning her about face-eating bacteria and she keeps telling me to stfu; that the human body is really pretty good with most bacteria. She's does research with bacteria in benthic zones, among other things I don't really understand very well.

#28 | Posted by Corky at 2018-04-13 01:27 AM | Reply

Curtis Suttle

#29 | Posted by jpw at 2018-04-13 01:31 AM | Reply

that the human body is really pretty good with most bacteria

The vast vast majority. Until you get that one...

Does she get to go in the field to collect these bacteria?

I often regret not going into a field heavy area. Who could ask for a better office than nature?

#30 | Posted by jpw at 2018-04-13 01:38 AM | Reply

Ardbeg.
A friend bought a bottle for me as a gift when I finished my PhD.
Then I smelled and tasted that glass of peaty deliciousness.

#22 | POSTED BY JPW A

Ardbeg 10 is very pale and looks like it should be mild...and then you sample it and the peat and smoke pleasantly explodes on your palate.

If you haven't had the opportunity, you absolutely need to try a cask strength single malt.

First smell and take a tiny sip out of a snifter, neat. It has a heat to it that is indescribable - it's almost like a vapor. Then cut it with a TB or so of distilled water assuming you have a 2.5 oz pour. The water opens things up in an almost alarming way. Before cutting with water the nose will be somewhat restrained. After adding water it's almost like smelling salts as the aroma opens up in a big way. The palate opens up in a big way too.

#31 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-04-13 01:48 AM | Reply

Yeah, she's a FL girl. Her research area is above Palm Beach. She loves it. Her FB page had a pic of an 11 foot alligator wandering across the Reserve where her lab is located near the beach. They call him Suitcase.

#32 | Posted by Corky at 2018-04-13 01:50 AM | Reply

I haven't tried cask scotch yet. It's definitely on the list but scotch is still a very once in a while thing for me.

It has a heat to it that is indescribable - it's almost like a vapor.

LOL now I'm curious. We use 200 proof alcohol all the time in lab and the vapor quality of it is inescapable. I'm assuming it's not that close but that sensation...with a bit of barrel/cask quality....

#33 | Posted by jpw at 2018-04-13 02:02 AM | Reply

#32 | Posted by Corky

Sounds like a hell of a job.
Lucky woman.

#34 | Posted by jpw at 2018-04-13 02:04 AM | Reply

It's difficult to describe. It has a hot 'mouth-feel' and it's distinctly different than the burn one feels from sipping a 80+ proof spirit.

A good friend of mine (going all of the way back to 7th grade) is a chemist. I gave hime a small sample of cask-strength scotch whisky and he performed some experiments, playing around with various ratios of water to whisky. Apparently the whisky had a lot of soluble aromas that were locked in at cask strength but were released when water was added. He added some technical jargon that I didn't grasp but his scientific experiment comported with what I had observed personally.

#35 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-04-13 02:09 AM | Reply

I knew that this was in fact true; that even 40 proof scotch benefits from a small amount of water being added (clean, non-tap water; DEFINTELY not ice) as it releases aromas and shows whether or not the whisky is filtered or not (if it gets cloudy when the water is added).

As for the chemical specifics you got me. As long as it smells like an extinguished camp fire in my glass I'm good to go.

#36 | Posted by jpw at 2018-04-13 02:13 AM | Reply

I don't understand the chemical specifics.

I do however know that higher proof, non-chill filtered whisky's react dramatically with the addition of some clean water.

Laphroaig has a cask strength 10 year currently on the market. That is some intense ----. It's not exorbitant so I encourage you to pick up a bottle and experiment. The solubility thing will blow your mind.

#37 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-04-13 02:18 AM | Reply

I remember enough chemistry from years past to sense that shifting the balance of aqueous vs organic solvency could do some interesting things. Is that it? *shrugs*

I'll look for that bottle this weekend. I have a friend visiting next weekend and I think he'd appreciate that. Or at least the's the rationale I'll use to buy some LOL

#38 | Posted by jpw at 2018-04-13 02:25 AM | Reply

Pretty sad that we consider 64% a good number. For all the obvious reasons young African Americans make that number look much better than it really is.

As for spirits, Black Label + Perrier in a double glass that weighs at least 8oz, the glass is important. Anything else is basically a frozen margarita.

frozen Stoli and coke...
Coke goes with everything.
Of all the prohibitions I consider the one against
psilocybin to be the most dangerous. There are basically only two types of people in the world: those who consider themselves changed after an intense psychedelic experience and those who haven't tried.

#39 | Posted by BluSky at 2018-04-13 06:50 AM | Reply

= psilocybin

In college in TX we used to go to the neighboring pastures, flip over the cow paddies and bring home grocery bags full of shrooms for tea. Then it was cartoon world for hours.

#40 | Posted by Corky at 2018-04-13 11:52 AM | Reply

--Of all the prohibitions I consider the one against psilocybin to be the most dangerous.

It's a tragedy that this natural medicine is illegal. I look forward to the day when you can purchase a jar of Colonel Corky's Magic Mushroom Tea at your local drugstore.

#41 | Posted by nullifidian at 2018-04-13 12:39 PM | Reply

I look forward to the day that you, General Insignificance, get a life other than the trolling life.

#42 | Posted by Corky at 2018-04-13 12:43 PM | Reply

flip over the cow paddies and bring home grocery bags full of shrooms
I prefer them right of of the patty with some crackers and a coke.
We would go as far as sewing rye grass in other people's pastures and dumping fermented sacks of horse feed (better than corn) in the cow troughs.
Also, another good trick is to collect the patties, make piles near the tree line and cover them with a little hay. They will multiply must faster and wilt slower.

#43 | Posted by BluSky at 2018-04-13 08:04 PM | Reply