Monday, March 12, 2018

If National Geographic's April issue was going to be entirely devoted to the subject of race, the magazine decided it had better take a good hard look at its own history. Editor in Chief Susan Goldberg asked John Edwin Mason, a professor of African history and the history of photography at the University of Virginia, to dive into the magazine's nearly 130-year archive and report back. What Mason found was a long tradition of racism in the magazine's coverage: in its text, its choice of subjects, and in its famed photography. "[U]ntil the 1970s National Geographic all but ignored people of color who lived in the United States, rarely acknowledging them beyond laborers or domestic workers," writes Goldberg in the issue's editor letter, where she discusses Mason's findings. "Meanwhile it pictured 'natives' elsewhere as exotics, famously and frequently unclothed, happy hunters, noble savages -- every type of cliché."

I started receiving my subscription as a birthday gift when I was 10.

I credit National Geographic with my love for travel, adventure, and photography.

Also Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom with Marlin Perkins.

#1 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2018-03-12 09:53 PM | Reply

My father has a huge collection of National Geographic magazines. Probably some dating as far back as the 70s.

I love the photography in them and the journalism.

Fact is. Looking back though history. You'll find racism everywhere.

It doesn't diminish the excellence of the National Geographic. It's a product of its times.

Old Tom and Jerry cartoons were racist. So we're old Disney cartoons. The looney toons. Popeye. Betty boop.

Mark Twain's books are considered racist.

History is racist.

#2 | Posted by ClownShack at 2018-03-12 10:05 PM | Reply

If anything, Nat Geo gave me a deep interest in foreign peoples, customs, and cultures that I still find fascinating today.

#3 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2018-03-12 10:10 PM | Reply

#4 | Posted by ClownShack at 2018-03-12 10:13 PM | Reply

True to its roots.

#5 | Posted by LampLighter at 2018-03-12 11:16 PM | Reply

"Fact is. Looking back though history. You'll find racism everywhere."

See Also: "The past is never dead. It's not even past."

#6 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-03-12 11:48 PM | Reply

Very interesting that they went back to look into their past reporting and the ideas that went into it.

I also had my imagination captured by national geographic.

I wonder if it would have had the same impact if they told the truth that your fellow humans are just like you are.

#7 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-03-13 10:03 AM | Reply

This is the path to us being less scared of others.

#8 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-03-13 10:04 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Some of the first ------- I ever saw.

#9 | Posted by patron at 2018-03-13 12:21 PM | Reply

This is the path to us being less scared of others.

I've met incredible people everywhere I've travelled. Friendly, welcoming, gracious, and courteous.

I'm more upset with governments and corporations that exploit these people and their lands.

#10 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2018-03-13 05:12 PM | Reply