Tuesday, March 06, 2018

The wreck of a US aircraft carrier that was sunk during World War Two has been found off the coast of Australia. The USS Lexington was located at a depth of about 3km (2 miles) in the Coral Sea, about 800km off Australia's east coast. The ship was lost in the Battle of the Coral Sea from 4-8 May 1942. More than 200 crew members died in the fighting. The US Navy confirmed the ship had been discovered by a search team led by Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen. Pictures showed the wreck to be well preserved.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Adm Harry Harris, head of the US Pacific Command, praised the discovery.

"As the son of a survivor of the USS Lexington, I offer my congratulations to Paul Allen and the expedition crew of Research Vessel (R/V) Petrel for locating the 'Lady Lex'," he said on Tuesday.

The Battle of the Coral Sea is considered a key moment in halting Japan's advance in the Pacific during the war.

The Lexington was scuttled by US forces after being struck by several Japanese torpedoes and bombs during the battle.

The US Navy said 216 crew members died after the ship was attacked. More than 2,000 others were rescued.

"Lexington was on our priority list because she was one of the capital ships that was lost during WWII," Vulcan spokesman Robert Kraft said.

Pictures from the seabed taken by the Petrel show the Lexington's nameplate and guns. Some of the ship's aircraft are also shown in remarkably good condition.

The ship will not be retrieved because the US Navy considers it to be a war grave.

Comments

First ever carrier vs carrier battle....

#1 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-03-06 12:47 AM | Reply

My great uncle John jumped off the Yorktown at Midway and went down with the Lady Lex.

RIP

#2 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-03-06 01:25 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Freedom is not free.

#3 | Posted by Greatamerican at 2018-03-06 01:28 AM | Reply

#2 Damn.

#4 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2018-03-06 01:36 AM | Reply

RIP, John.

#5 | Posted by et_al at 2018-03-06 03:39 AM | Reply

The destroyer Phelps was ordered to sink the ship and fired a total of five torpedoes between 19:15 and 19:52. Immediately after the last torpedo hit, Lexington, down by the bow but nearly on an even keel finally sank[68] at 15°20′S 155°30′ECoordinates: 15°20′S 155°30′E.[2] A Lexington officer famously said "There she goes. She didn't turn over. She's going down with her head up. Dear old Lex...a lady to the last."[69] Some 216 crewmen were killed and 2,735 were evacuated.[70]

I think people from that time were just badasses. Everyone was tougher than todays generation.

RIP Uncle John..

#6 | Posted by boaz at 2018-03-06 09:31 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

RIP
#2 | Posted by Rightocenter

Ummm something smells fishy. Coral Sea was a month earlier than Midway, so why would a dead guy who went down with the Lexington be jumping off the Yorktown a month later?

#7 | Posted by truthhurts at 2018-03-06 09:45 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

Ha!

HA!!!

#8 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-03-06 10:07 AM | Reply

Pathetic, disgusting, DESPERATE liar invents war-zombie uncle....

What else do you like to lie about?

#9 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-03-06 11:34 AM | Reply

I spoke with my Dad last night, I was wrong, his uncle Frank jumped off the Yorktown, his uncle John went down with the Lady Lex.

My bad.

#10 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-03-06 11:41 AM | Reply

These were great uncles who died when my father was young, sorry for my mistake in the retelling of the story.

#11 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-03-06 11:42 AM | Reply

Leave it to the -------- to give somebody a hard time because they can't perfectly recount events from 75 years ago which they were not present for. Get a life losers.

#12 | Posted by moder8 at 2018-03-06 11:48 AM | Reply

They were brothers, BTW, Frank lived through WWII and served in Korea at the same time that my father was flying, and by pure chance they both were on the escort carrier Badoeng Strait when my dad was a young pilot on VMF-214.

#13 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-03-06 11:53 AM | Reply

It's okay, its a manifestation of their own insecurities, they do it on a daily basis.

#14 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-03-06 11:55 AM | Reply

on=in for the insecure crowd, god forbid that I get something slightly incorrect.

#15 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-03-06 12:03 PM | Reply

Backpedal backpedal backpedal
reinvent, spin spin spin

Two war-zombie uncles now!

I'll give you 2 days... by then I expect to read all about how THIRD uncle nuked Japan.

Please don't let me down!

#16 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-03-06 12:18 PM | Reply

From last night, failed-lawyer. He claims to have talked to his dad last night.

I spoke with my Dad last night,#10 | Posted by Rightocenter

OOPS!

And yeah... I know exactly how many great-uncles of mine fought in WW2. I don't forget... they don't come and go from memory when they like.

#17 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-03-06 12:25 PM | Reply

Sure, I'm the ------- for pointing out something that clearly doesn't make sense.

#18 | Posted by truthhurts at 2018-03-06 12:37 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Ignore the failed-lawyer. He's just trying act relevant. LOL

#19 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-03-06 12:42 PM | Reply

No worries, you were right to spot the mistake. I actually was wondering myself, which is why I called my 84 year old father.

It's the JTosserPaki ------- that comment was aimed at.

#20 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-03-06 12:50 PM | Reply

#11 | Posted by Rightocenter

Now the question is did you use it on a job application to gain an edge over your competition, eh YorkoLexahontas?

#21 | Posted by jpw at 2018-03-06 01:24 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

I don't think so, but if it shows up on my firm's website, I had nothing to do with it!

#22 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-03-06 02:05 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Please don't let me down!

#16 | POSTED BY J_TREMAIN AT 2018-03-06 12:18 PM | REPLY |

The third uncle was on the grassy knoll

#23 | Posted by hatter5183 at 2018-03-06 05:34 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

"They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters. These see the works of the Lord and his wonders in the deep,"

#24 | Posted by ABlock at 2018-03-06 07:05 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The third uncle was on the grassy knoll

No no... that would be FOURTH Uncle.

#25 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-03-06 11:21 PM | Reply

Amazing how preserved the Carrier is after all these years underwater.
The Battle of Coral Sea is legendary as the Carriers fought without being in sight of one another.

#26 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2018-03-07 05:41 AM | Reply