Sunday, March 04, 2018

President Donald Trump bemoaned a decision not to investigate Hillary Clinton after the 2016 presidential election, decrying a "rigged system" that still doesn't have the "right people" in place to fix it, during a freewheeling speech to Republican donors in Florida on Saturday. In the closed-door remarks, a recording of which was obtained by CNN, Trump also praised China's President Xi Jinping for recently consolidating power and extending his potential tenure, musing he wouldn't mind making such a maneuver himself. "He's now president for life. President for life. No, he's great," Trump said. "And look, he was able to do that. I think it's great. Maybe we'll have to give that a shot some day."

Comments

Wow.

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2018-03-03 09:16 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

That's the same thing he admires about Putin... well, the Pres for Life, but also the state ownership of the media news, putting his own thugs in power, taking a cut of every big bidness deal, poisoning his enemies, controlling the Courts... you know, the good stuff.

#2 | Posted by Corky at 2018-03-03 09:56 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I remember baseless right-wing memes about Obama being a dictator with a third term ...

www.foxnews.com

Republicans rubbed their naughty bits into a raw lather over this outrageous anti-Obama propaganda.

But now Republicans are hearing their dear leader saying out loud the very same outrageous thing.

Can't make this stuff up.

#3 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-03-03 10:26 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 8

I'm not at all surprised he admires the idea of president for life.

This man is already considering coup to save himself and his lifestyle.

#4 | Posted by Zed at 2018-03-04 08:47 AM | Reply

I've interacted with enough Trumpettes to know they'd support or rationalize a coup if Donald tried one.

#5 | Posted by Zed at 2018-03-04 08:49 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

President for life?

Trump's been on that track for years. Red flags were snapping in the wind all over the place. But he doesn't mean "President." He means Dictator. And he means himself and a family dynasty of dictators.

I think Mr. Mueller is going to put an end to that wet dream.

#6 | Posted by Twinpac at 2018-03-04 08:52 AM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 3

One can hope there are enough patriotic Americans left to help with this.

#7 | Posted by Zed at 2018-03-04 08:55 AM | Reply

What a pathetic dotard this country has seen get elected by a deeply flawed electoral and political system. Yes, the system is rigged, but not exactly like Trump pretends. While power and money are a fabulous shield against otherwise arbitrary political prosecution, our educational systems are heavily dependent on local undemocratic funding, the stock market is rigged by a tiny minority, and the judicial system is a pathetic system of imprisonment duration based on race for equal offenses.

Trump was provided a $14 million head start in life and has devoted his career to taking women and bankers to the cleaners.

#8 | Posted by bayviking at 2018-03-04 09:09 AM | Reply

That people could listen to that and laugh is frightening.

#9 | Posted by danni at 2018-03-04 09:12 AM | Reply

ZED

It won't be patriotic Americans. They all have their definition of "patriotic" and they're all too gullible or single issue voter. It's a rare voter who can see the big picture ~ especially about foreign policy which is really where a president holds sway.

We can see that in action right now.

I believe it's going to be the long arm of the law that brings Trump's wet dream to a screeching halt.

God Bless Robert Mueller. I hope he get's a Medal of Honor, a Nobel prize and his picture on the cover of Time.

#10 | Posted by Twinpac at 2018-03-04 09:14 AM | Reply

Thanks, republicans.

You people suck.

#11 | Posted by Angrydad at 2018-03-04 09:24 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

People are going to claim this is a joke, but he expresses ideas like this far too often for it to be one.

This is one more sign we'll be lucky to reach the end of a Trump presidency with our democracy intact. He would make himself another Erdogan. We have a president whose values are in open contempt of the Constitution and our system of checks and balances. Every day we allow him to hold the office we're playing with fire.

#12 | Posted by rcade at 2018-03-04 09:53 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 5

This is how the clowns "fight for the constitution".

#13 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2018-03-04 09:55 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Okay, let's try it ... as soon as we get a president who is not a doltish nazi.

#14 | Posted by kudzu at 2018-03-04 10:02 AM | Reply

This one statement Trump made would be the absolute end of anyone else's political career.

He's only getting away with this because his supporters are complicit, and the GOP controlled Congress complicit and cowardly.

Blue Wave in November, for the sake of the entire country, including the Trumpites.

#15 | Posted by Zed at 2018-03-04 10:14 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Rcade,

"People are going to claim this is a joke"

Are you suggesting Trump actually meant it?

#16 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-03-04 10:24 AM | Reply

Are you suggesting Trump actually meant it?

#16 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-03-04 10:24

I'll suggest that, BILL.

You know what? Ever since Xi announced he was dictator I've expected Donald to come out with something like this.

#17 | Posted by Zed at 2018-03-04 10:30 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

He's floating the idea with his friends. If he got a favorable response (he did) he'll float it elsewhere.

#18 | Posted by Zed at 2018-03-04 10:31 AM | Reply

"Are you suggesting Trump actually meant it?"

He said it, he's President of the United States, we must consider it to be something he meant. No room in the Presidency for idiots to just run their mouths but then pretend they don't mean what they say.

#19 | Posted by danni at 2018-03-04 10:37 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 5

Waiting for Snipppyjeffocenter ackris to tell us how this is all Clinton or Obama's fault.

#20 | Posted by e1g1 at 2018-03-04 10:39 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Zed,

In the words of Jim Carrey, "Allllllrighty then".

#21 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-03-04 10:39 AM | Reply

You know...I'm starting to think it's not the politicians we need to worry about.

It's the voters.

You know....I suggest we implement voting requirements.

You must have a job and make a certain amount of money.

You must own a home....hmmm...let's see...you must be married....and Christian.

Anything else I can think of?

(with this crowd...I'm sure you'll think I'm serious)

What???? you think I'm not?

#22 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-03-04 10:52 AM | Reply

#16 | Posted by BillJohnson

Are you suggesting that he didn't?

#23 | Posted by Angrydad at 2018-03-04 10:53 AM | Reply

Trump was speaking words when he said that. Therefore, what he said is of no matter. If he had bellowed like a cow, that may have meant something. Like he had a belly ache, or something. But his words? Meaningless.

#24 | Posted by nimbleswitch at 2018-03-04 10:59 AM | Reply

I am waiting for the wing dings to remind us that this is what the second amendment is for, and a patriot might "give it a shot" to make the Dotard POTUS for life.

#25 | Posted by bored at 2018-03-04 11:05 AM | Reply

It is a good thing the first amendment allows us to 'joke' about this topic.

#26 | Posted by bored at 2018-03-04 11:06 AM | Reply

On a more fun note, wouldn't ending term limits allow Obama to run again?
That would be fun.

#27 | Posted by bored at 2018-03-04 11:09 AM | Reply

The point to my last post was that my suggestion about voting requirements was absurd.

Just like Trump's comment about president for life.

I'm sure there are fringe people who do believe extreme views but I put my hope in level headed people.

However, I am starting to wonder about the future of America.

Who will be running the government decades from now?

#28 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-03-04 11:10 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

I heard somewhere that Trump is a liar. So i guess he's to be believed now.

Kind of like Russians; you can't believe a word they say, unless it's evidence to indict Trump.

What drama.

#29 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2018-03-04 11:14 AM | Reply

"I heard somewhere that Trump is a liar. So i guess he's to be believed now."

#30 | Posted by danni at 2018-03-04 11:24 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

" Maybe we'll have to give that a shot some day."

A joke? Or a trial balloon?

#31 | Posted by Twinpac at 2018-03-04 11:25 AM | Reply

#29 the only thing that matters is Hillary.

#32 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-03-04 11:27 AM | Reply

Zed,
In the words of Jim Carrey, "Allllllrighty then".
#21 | Posted by BillJohnson

YEAH Its not like trump to just blurt something wild out like raising tarrifs to 25% out of the blue or something

#33 | Posted by truthhurts at 2018-03-04 11:39 AM | Reply

Republicans have always had a daddy syndrome. They love dictators because they're sheep. Unless the dictator is a black centrist, then they lose their minds and replace dictator with tyrant.

#34 | Posted by chuffy at 2018-03-04 11:50 AM | Reply

"He says what everybody else is thinking but wont say".

Trump now has his Depends Huffers ready to claim (Choose 1 or all 4) ... 'everything he says is gospel', that 'he doesnt mean everything he says, and you can figure that out' to 'You will know if he meant it sometime soon. we'll see". to 'obviously he was joking' (no, not at all). to 'why is the media printing everything he says?'.

This is why, to trumphumpers, he always has an excuse to say something dumb, anti American, racist, Nazi-coddling, stupid thing, without regard for any truth, logic, or personal integrity.

#35 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2018-03-04 12:44 PM | Reply

Trump speaks! So many comments, so many newsworthy's!

media.gettyimages.com

#36 | Posted by sunuvavitch at 2018-03-04 12:45 PM | Reply

I remember conspiracy theories going around about how every president in at least the last 25 years were going to declare martial law and suspend elections and so on.

Trump is a troll (as always) who's playing off this.

#37 | Posted by sentinel at 2018-03-04 12:47 PM | Reply

Trump speaks! So many comments, so many newsworthy's!

#36 | POSTED BY SUNUVAVITCH

People falsely said that Obama wanted to be dictator with a third term, something that a conservative like yourself would never have accepted.

So why are you now giving Trump a pass?

#38 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-03-04 12:51 PM | Reply

"I'm concerned Washington will be run by one one of 2 extremes....either the ravenous rich or the crazy lazy.

Trump is both of those, is kind of the problem.

If you didn't marry your AR-15 last week, you really don't have any excuse for supporting Trump.

That is where the Trump side has drawn the line, fifteen moths afyer the election.

Because -- you're gonna love this -- they cling to their guns and their religion. Just like Obama said ten years ago.

#39 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-03-04 12:53 PM | Reply

"When he became President the things he says matters. Even if he's lying the things he says matter."

Nope. Not this president. And the more people -- foreign and domestic -- who realize this, the safer (from him) the world will be.

#40 | Posted by nimbleswitch at 2018-03-04 01:01 PM | Reply

Republicans fight tooth and nail against the slightest notions they disprove of.

Yet they protect this man.

The conclusion is that Trump is a mouthpiece for Republican values.

#41 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-03-04 01:07 PM | Reply

President Troll is not a viable excuse for the abomination. Try again mofo.

#42 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-03-04 01:08 PM | Reply

"President Troll"

Technically his moniker is President 4Chan.

#43 | Posted by sentinel at 2018-03-04 01:17 PM | Reply

President Eff-Ups

#44 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-03-04 01:25 PM | Reply

Just like Trump's comment about president for life.

However, I am starting to wonder about the future of America.

Who will be running the government decades from now?

#28 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-03-04 11:10 AM | Reply | Flag:

| Funny: 1

I heard somewhere that Trump is a liar. So i guess he's to be believed now.

What drama.

#29 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2018-03-04 11:14 AM | Reply | Flag:

I guess you two are just going to have to fight it out to see who gets to play Neville Chamberlain in the school play!

#45 | Posted by cbob at 2018-03-04 01:25 PM | Reply

He must like the job. Flying around in a dedicated Boeing 747 with string of secret service agents, the nuclear football, 24/7 TV, a bucket of KFC and p#$$y galore. What more could a person possibly want in life.

#46 | Posted by bayviking at 2018-03-04 01:31 PM | Reply

The more I see of president trump the more I wonder how long the presidency has been an imaginary position. Clearly what he says doesn't matter so has this been going on for long with the congress and senate simply propping up former presidents because what they said wasn't insane or is it new with trump?

#47 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2018-03-04 01:46 PM | Reply

Looks like a found the DRama Thread of the Day.

*circle circle circle*

*flap flap flap*

#48 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-03-04 01:46 PM | Reply

I heard somewhere that Trump is a liar. So i guess he's to be believed now.
#29 | Posted by SheepleSchism

He's lies a lot when it benefits him. Don't play stupid.

#49 | Posted by Sycophant at 2018-03-04 01:47 PM | Reply

Just like Trump's comment about president for life.
However, I am starting to wonder about the future of America.
Who will be running the government decades from now?
#28 | Posted by BillJohnson

Here's the problem: Some people like your suggestion. And some people like the idea of President Trump for life. Based on the President's actions and previous comments, Trump likes the idea of President Trump for life. Unimpeachable. Unremovable. No elections. Because surely, he deserves it and no one is better suited to run the country.

So you say it as a joke. Keep saying it and we'll believe you mean it. In Trump's case, he's said enough where we can't just laugh it off.

Your concerns are warranted. Except you elected the other extreme: the lazy rich. He also happens to be a narcissistic, self interested, illiterate lard ass with a God complex. And that's the worse extreme.

So you'd have to be a complete moron not to be a little appalled and concerned when he says stuff like this...unless you are just really stupid and lazy yourself? Did I hit the nail on the head with that one?

#50 | Posted by Sycophant at 2018-03-04 01:51 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#20 | POSTED BY E1G1

My mom is already telling me this is the exact same thing as Obama saying he could win a 3rd term if allowed to run.

#51 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2018-03-04 01:56 PM | Reply

Syco,

I think a big part of the problem is many of the rich and the poor have similar dysfunctions.

They both have an inflated sense of entitlement.

Some rich and some poor are simply parasites.

#52 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-03-04 02:24 PM | Reply

*flap flap flap*

#48 | Posted by Rightocenter

TMI! TMI!

Why do you insist on sharing what you are doing with your left hand while typing with your right?

#53 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-03-04 02:26 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#29 | Posted by SheepleSchism

He's lies a lot when it benefits him. Don't play stupid.

#49 | Posted by Sycophant

He's not "playing".

#54 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-03-04 02:27 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Are you suggesting Trump actually meant it?

You know he meant it. You're not foolish enough to think it was just a joke.

#55 | Posted by rcade at 2018-03-04 05:35 PM | Reply

.... but, but, but Trump Trump do not really want to be president because your media has told us so.

Trump Doesn't Want to Be President www.politico.com

Trump doesn't seem to like being president. So why not quit? www.washingtonpost.com

#56 | Posted by MSgt at 2018-03-04 07:28 PM | Reply

It looks like you can't defend Trump's remark so instead of talking about it you want to deflect to old commentary pieces.

#57 | Posted by rcade at 2018-03-04 07:32 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Doesn't take the media, it's blatantly obvious.

As I have said many times, Hillary got the prize donald wanted... win the popular vote but not have to do the job.

#58 | Posted by REDIAL at 2018-03-04 07:43 PM | Reply

Rcade,

"You know he meant it. You're not foolish enough to think it was just a joke."

My question to you was do you think he actually is saying he wants to be president for life.

You didn't answer it.

At no point did I say "he was joking". That is your words, not mine.

I am quite sure he is not making a joke at China's expense.

Perhaps his intention was to make light of something so serious that is utterly counter to the American form of government.

#59 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-03-04 07:59 PM | Reply

Rcade,

Frankly, I doubt given the chance to be president for life he would want the position.

I certainly can't speak for him as well as all you liberals, but he doesn't strike me as being purely motivated by power.

#60 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-03-04 08:04 PM | Reply

Not entirely power, BILL. But nothing good and quite a bit that is strange, as witness your inability to comprehend it.

#61 | Posted by Zed at 2018-03-04 08:37 PM | Reply

I've seen people like Trump work their way on smaller stages. They leave destruction in their wake.

#62 | Posted by Zed at 2018-03-04 08:39 PM | Reply

Zed,

"But nothing good and quite a bit that is strange, as witness your inability to comprehend it."

Indeed, I wouldn't begin to claim I "comprehend" anything to do with international power-broking.

What is the best course of action now?

Time will tell.

Of course, after the fact, everyone's an expert.

#63 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-03-04 09:03 PM | Reply

Hindsight is a perfect 20/20.

It's easy to offer great advice after you already know the outcome and come away sounding like you know what you're talking about.

I see it on the blogs all the time.

#64 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-03-04 09:13 PM | Reply

Rcade,
#60 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-03-04 08:04 PM

I'm going to interject here - what do you imagine motivated a megalomaniacal reality-star Trump to run for this specific government position?

Did you ever see The Apprentice? Isn't that all about power? He's the -------- they the tongues?

What about "YOU'RE FIRED!" doesn't sound like an abuse of power?

#65 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2018-03-05 04:29 AM | Reply

I love it when people claim Trump is nuanced. Good luck selling anybody that ---------, Bill.

#66 | Posted by rcade at 2018-03-05 07:49 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

"I will say I am afraid America has been negotiating from a position of weakness and capitulating for quite some time."

But then our multiple wars, our presence in Syria, our support for the Kurds, our presence right now with an aircraft carrier in Vietnam sort of makes that statement look foolish.

#67 | Posted by danni at 2018-03-05 07:52 AM | Reply

Red,

If I had to guess, I'd say Donald Trump is motivated more by fame than power and feeling fairly frustrated about right now.

I couldn't imagine someone like him wanting to be President the rest of his life.

He would get bored and itchy to take on a new project.

That's my guess.

#68 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-03-05 08:23 AM | Reply

He would want to be president for life to protect himself and his family.

If there's a coup, this will be the reason.

What gets me about people like you, BILL, is that you have been so politically spoiled that you figure it does happen in places like Guatemala but not here.

#69 | Posted by Zed at 2018-03-05 09:28 AM | Reply

#59 | POSTED BY BILLJOHNSON

It isn't "utterly counter to the American form of government".

POTUS term limits were enacted in 1947, which means for about 150 years the only thing limiting a POTUS was voters and the politicians own principles.

As we know, our current electorate has enough dumb s---s to keep voting for someone as bad as Trump and he has no principles, so a simple repeal and Trump and Faux News can be off to the races.

#70 | Posted by jpw at 2018-03-05 09:43 AM | Reply

#60 | POSTED BY BILLJOHNSON

I guess the right is moving on to a new phase-sheer denial of reality, no matter how ludicrous the denial.

#71 | Posted by jpw at 2018-03-05 09:47 AM | Reply

He would get bored and itchy to take on a new project.
That's my guess.

#68 | POSTED BY BILLJOHNSON

What makes you think it would be anything other than a title and using the US as a personal ATM?

He barely does anything now. I don't see what would change, other than moving the seat of government permanently to Mar-a-Lago.

#72 | Posted by jpw at 2018-03-05 09:50 AM | Reply

I really wouldn't say it's rigged, per se. Sure, it always is but in this case, it's more about the fact that Trump is a white male. In America, that is a bad thing to be if you want to be loved. People want to see anyone but a white male in power, so of course they aren't going to try to do things that would diminish the gains that have already been made.

#73 | Posted by humtake at 2018-03-05 12:09 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Jpw,

I don't represent the right.

My opinions are not consistent with most conservatives.

#74 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-03-05 12:43 PM | Reply

Red,
He would get bored and itchy to take on a new project.
That's my guess.
#68 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-03-05 08:23 AM

I agree, Trump does appear to envision of everything as a stage and he's the star, no doubt about that. But bringing his family into White House positions was shoring-up power, he left over 150 positions vacant and consolidated all decisions to a core group of fanatic devotees who were "fired" at convenience making the power group smaller. This might be a good time for a Grover Cleveland drowning Trump in a bathtub joke?

He unilaterally makes decisions that impact our allies negatively - that is serious abuse of power, particularly when he has zero foreign policy knowledge and tinkers with nuclear-armed enemy nations.

Essentially this is his time to be the star president and instead we are getting Republicans rushing everything they have ever wanted through without due process, debate or consideration for anyone outside of the cabal. The GOP tax cuts virtually eliminate social services while simultaneously funneling that money into Republican pockets. They don't care about the environment, the poor or our future as a species.

I didn't know that Xi is allowing this "president for life" crap until this thread. He seemed too reasonable to be true, and now we know that it can happen to even a non-power mad autocrat. Trump wants a military parade on the streets with missiles and dancing - an antithetic display of American power.

We are treading quite a distance away from Roosevelt's "speak softly, and carry a big stick" foreign policy.

#75 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2018-03-05 02:08 PM | Reply

It's not like there isn't precedent. So far we've had 8 US Presidents who were president for life.

#76 | Posted by sentinel at 2018-03-05 03:29 PM | Reply

#76 indeed, that's what the Second Amendment is for!

And isn't it interesting that when our Presidents do get assassinated, it's always with guns, exactly as the Founders intended. Even most of the failed attempts are made with guns too.

#MAGA

#77 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-03-05 03:33 PM | Reply

"#76 indeed, that's what the Second Amendment is for!"

What are you babbling about? At least half of those people died of natural causes.

#78 | Posted by sentinel at 2018-03-05 04:53 PM | Reply

The other half died of lead poisoning.

#79 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-03-05 05:09 PM | Reply

Red,

What you wrote is very interesting. Definitely food for thought.

#80 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-03-05 06:44 PM | Reply

#73 | Posted by humtake

Other people ONLY want to see a white male in power, and think that a moronic egomaniac white male controlled by russia who supports nazis klansmen and child molesters is better than a minority or woman.

#81 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2018-03-06 01:33 AM | Reply

#81 | POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY

Reality: "Other people ONLY want to see a white male in power, and think that a moronic egomaniac white male..."

Vs. Media Hysteria: "controlled by russia who supports nazis klansmen and child molesters is better than a minority or woman."

#82 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2018-03-06 02:30 AM | Reply

#82 | Posted by SheepleSchism

Again, saying russiagate is only media hysteria only makes YOU look dumb.

And trump did defend nazis, klansmen, and roy moore. That's not media hysteria, it's history and facts- Things morons like you love to ignore.

#83 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2018-03-06 10:52 AM | Reply