Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Boston Dynamics' well-mannered four-legged machine SpotMini has already proved that it can easily open a door and walk through unchallenged, but now the former Google turned SoftBank robotics firm is teaching its robo-canines to fight back. A newly released video shows SpotMini approaching the door as before, but this time it's joined by a pesky human with an ice hockey stick. Unperturbed by his distractions, SpotMini continues to grab the handle and turn it even after its creepy fifth arm with a claw on the front is pushed away. ... The firm helpfully notes that, despite a back piece flying off, "this testing does not irritate or harm the robot".

Bad enough that us workers were going to be replaced by robots but now our dogs too? That's just wrong!

#1 | Posted by danni at 2018-02-27 12:37 PM | Reply

Ahh yes...my new Overlords are almost here.

Fortunately, I will make an excellent pet because I can help fix them.

#2 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-02-27 12:37 PM | Reply

This is not going to end well.

#3 | Posted by LampLighter at 2018-02-27 12:43 PM | Reply

Humans will never learn that they're their own worst enemy. They keep creating problems for themselves. When Bayer invented heroin, it was seen as great progress.

#4 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2018-02-27 12:50 PM | Reply

This is why we MUST build the border wall -

In the future, the area past 500 feet will be patrolled by these robots. Put a gun on that 5th hand and it's almost ready to deploy.

500' inside the border will truly be a "no man's land"

#5 | Posted by Pegasus at 2018-02-27 01:53 PM | Reply

As I said, this is not going to end well.

#6 | Posted by LampLighter at 2018-02-27 02:10 PM | Reply

That thing is creepy.

#7 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-02-27 02:19 PM | Reply

@#5 ... a gun ...

Interesting how "a gun" seems to be almost a universal solution of some.

#8 | Posted by LampLighter at 2018-02-27 03:10 PM | Reply

First, it came for the mailman, but I was not a mailman...

#9 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2018-02-27 03:18 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

"First, it came for the mailman, but I was not a mailman..." - #9 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2018-02-27 03:18 PM

And, yet, rumor has it you always ring twice.

#10 | Posted by Hans at 2018-02-27 03:39 PM | Reply

It's all going to be over when we finally put tentacles on a robot. Japan will be the first to surrender, and it's going but a long war with the robots using Japan as their manufacturing base, to be sure. Casualties will be very high. The human suffering will be immense.

Also, had to flag #9 FF. That was awesome. It reminds if the time I was playing the Illuminati card game and had the Cult of Cthulhu kill every postal worker in America. (To win that game as the Cult of Cthulhu, you just have to kill enough people to disturb Our Lords slumber, so I usually go for the low-hanging fruit like the Goldfish Fanciers or the John Birch Society. But I couldn't resist the Postal Service when it became a target of opportunity. Also, I think in that game I controlled the CIA and the either the Cyborg Commandos or the Black Helicopters, so it was pretty easy :)

#11 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-02-27 06:54 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Every time I watch this video I see the robot dog's reactions as distress. It's weird to humanize a bucket of bolts because it can walk around in a manner similar to animals.

#12 | Posted by rcade at 2018-02-27 08:56 PM | Reply

"It's weird to humanize a bucket of bolts because it can walk around in a manner similar to animals."

It's perfectly normal; hunters exploit this reaction all the time with decoys, for example.

#13 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-02-27 08:59 PM | Reply

This robot stars in Black Mirror season 4 episode "Metalhead".

It's terrifying.