Saturday, February 24, 2018

I mean, it takes some serious effort to find a spot in our Three Million Square Mile land area, where you will not see endless lines of seated humans trundling meaninglessly back and forth in these giant and stupendously inefficient machines.

Get off your ass. Walk or ride.

#1 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2018-02-24 06:23 AM | Reply

And you're not just wasting your own money, of course. You are wasting the gasoline that the rest of the world works so hard to produce, puncturing seabeds and spilling stadium-loads of oil into pristine wilderness areas as a necessary byproduct. Destroying coral reefs and flooding coastlines with your carbon emissions. Clogging roads and creating demand for roadway expansion, indirectly raising your own taxes. It's a whole lot of badness we're doing, every time we drive. It's not just a matter of "Hey, it'll only cost me ten bucks for the gas". It's a matter of choosing to be an -------. I fully admit that I drive plenty of miles in cars too, and I too am being an ------- every time I do it. Other people think you're being an ------- when you drive too, and you should be just a little bit embarrassed every time you are seen driving. I sure am.

#2 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2018-02-24 06:26 AM | Reply

So there you have it: 3 simple steps to automotive habit change. With every potential car trip, think of the 24 plates of wasted salmon. Ask yourself if it's worth being a deliberate -------, and ask yourself if you have any possible use for a bit more health and physical fitness. Do it every time, so it becomes a habit.

#3 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2018-02-24 06:28 AM | Reply

You, too, have a choice of where you live and work in the future. I'm just planting a seed in your mind.
Only once this seed grows into the fruit of independence, can you wean yourself from the Poisonous Teat of the Automobile.

#4 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2018-02-24 06:31 AM | Reply

And I agree with the wing-nuts. Cars are more dangerous to society than guns.

#5 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2018-02-24 06:31 AM | Reply

Kind of difficult when my job is to go to houses and repair things. My radius without a car would be maybe 5-10 miles and that is being generous considering how much stuff I need and we won't even talk about how tired I would be when I arrive on a job site after biking 10 miles with a minimum of 75lbs of tools and equipment on a bike trailer.

I do avoid driving when I can and seeing as I drive 3-5 hours a day I really don't want to drive when not working. So I try and plan all my trips home from jobs to get everything I need on the way home. I rarely have to drive once I get back home. Still a pretty pretentious article IMHO.

#6 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2018-02-24 08:07 AM | Reply

Riding your bike here in SiliconValley used to be possible, there was a network of bike paths that one could take following the creeks. Unless closed off for a race, riding on the roads here has always been for the foolish.

But today going to San Jose via the paths is a cesspool of criminal activity, drugs, violence and glass on the paths.

Much like the state itself, bicycling ain't what it used to be......

The state is crumbling around us, you could claim raise taxes, but my overall rate of Taxation&GovernmentalFees is about 50%.

How much more should a person have to pay to ride his or her bicycle?

SFO is a literal SHole, and its spreading ...

Florida Naples, while I belong to NaplesVelo and enjoy some of their events, its clearly not a safe place to ride.

Now cycling in the Driftless area, WI/MI/IA corner is incredible, TheRoot river in particular .....

#7 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2018-02-24 10:40 AM | Reply

Get off your ass. Walk or ride.

#1 | Posted by TFDNihilist

If you live in the west, there is no public transportation except in the big cities and it is way too far to walk. If you lived 20 miles from town, going to the grocery store would be a 2 day trip and you would have to do it 3 times a week because you can't carry very much food back on a 20 mile hike.

#8 | Posted by Sniper at 2018-02-24 11:44 AM | Reply

No one is disparaging legitimate uses of vehicles. I used to work at a moving company where almost all of the drivers arrived on a bicycle.
But admit it, Americans are lazy asses by design.

#9 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2018-02-24 12:44 PM | Reply

What a sniveling article. You can't bike everywhere with 3 kids .

#10 | Posted by boaz at 2018-02-24 04:19 PM | Reply

"You can't bike everywhere with 3 kids."

You're a military guy, so I assume you've spent some time traveling abroad.

Which means that either you're an idiot, or you've never paid any attention to anything that wasn't of immediate concern to you.

There's plenty of places (in first world countries) where people raise kids without cars.

#11 | Posted by Angrydad at 2018-02-25 10:33 AM | Reply

What a sniveling article. You can't bike everywhere with 3 kids .

#10 | POSTED BY BOAZ AT 2018-02-24 04:19 PM | REPLY

Another argument for birth control? Put them in the trailer Hehe

Love riding my bike...but don't always have the time or want to be sweaty when get there. Besides cars are awesome.

#12 | Posted by soulfly at 2018-02-25 10:47 AM | Reply

Had one of these give me a dirty look today.

50 or so old woman in a giant Lincoln SUV taking the turn across me at about 3 mph because she clearly was unsure of her behemoths dimensions.

Granted I was giving her the stink eye for slowing me down but she deserved it.

#13 | Posted by jpw at 2018-02-25 05:12 PM | Reply