Thursday, February 22, 2018

Avani Chaturvedi, 24, has become the first Indian woman to fly a fighter jet solo. She flew a Mig-21 Bison for 30 minutes earlier this week, the Indian air force said. "It is the breaking of a glass ceiling," spokesperson Anupam Banerjee told the BBC. He called it a "big day" in the history of the country's armed forces. Ms Chaturvedi was one of the first three female fighter pilots to be inducted into the Indian air force.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Neighbouring Pakistan has about 20 female fighter pilots - the Pakistan Air Force (PAF) began inducting women into combat roles in 2006.

Whoops! Both embedded videos are from Pak not India.... but then who wants to see a video of a Mig21???

#1 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-02-22 11:56 AM | Reply

Since she is Indian she must be from "Oklahoma."

#2 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-02-22 12:37 PM | Reply | Funny: 3

In all seriousness, having flown training missions with both Indian and Pakistani pilots, the ----- were the better pilots by far. Maybe Ms. Chatuverdi will get those (still) caste conscious Indians to up their game.

#3 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-02-22 12:39 PM | Reply

Something interesting I stumbled on...

My job was military advisor to the Pakistani air force, headed by Air Marshal Rahim Khan, who had been trained in Britain by the Royal Air Force, and was the first Pakistani pilot to exceed the speed of sound. He took me around to their different fighter groups and I met their pilots, who knew me and were really pleased that I was there. They had about five hundred airplanes, more than half of them Sabres and 104 Starfighters, a few B-57 bombers, and about a hundred Chinese MiG-19s. They were really good, aggressive dogfighters and proficient in gunnery and air combat tactics. I was damned impressed. Those guys just lived and breathed flying.

One of my first jobs there was to help them put U.S. Sidewinders on their Chinese MiGs, which were 1.6 Mach twin-engine airplanes that carried three thirty-millimeter canons. Our government furnished them with the rails for Sidewinders. They bought the missiles and all the checkout equipment that went with them, and it was one helluva interesting experience watching their electricians wiring up American missiles on a Chinese MiG.

The Pakistanis whipped their [Indians'] a$$es in the sky.

I stayed on in Pakistan for almost a year after the war ended, and it was one of the most enjoyable times of my life. From 1972 until we came home in March 1973, I spent most of my time flying in an F-86 Sabre with the Pakistani fighter outfits. I dearly loved the Sabre, almost as much as I enjoyed the P-51 Mustang from World War II days. It was a terrific airplane to fly and I took one to see K-2, the great mountain of Pakistan and the second highest mountain in the world, about an hour's flight away [from Islamabad] at over 28,000 feet.

It's a fabulous peak, as awesome and beautiful as any on earth, located in the middle of a high range that runs the length of the Chinese-Pakistani border. We actually crossed over into China to get there, and I've got some pictures of me in my cockpit right smack up against the summit. I made two or three trips up to K-2 - real highlights. I also did some bighorn sheep hunting in the Himalayan foothills. Susie owned a little Arabian mare. She took her horse when I went hunting and actually learned some of the Urdu language of the mountain people.

Chuck Yeager

#4 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-02-22 12:46 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

the ----- were the better pilots by far

Pakistan destroyed a lot of the Indian airforce while it was still farting on the ground... just like Israel did to the Egyptian airforce. They then napalmed the hell out of the largest tank attacking force in the world and left India with it's tanks burning and melting.

It's possible both Pakistan and Israel were using American tactics created by great men such as Chuck Yeager.

Chuck Yeager's posting to Pakistan as the US Defense Representative from 1971 to 1973 provided the Pakistan Air Force (PAF) with a great opportunity to learn from someone who was at that time the most experienced and perhaps the best fighter pilot in the world. The PAF and its fighter pilots learnt as much as they could in that short period. During the war, he was constantly at hand to advise and organize the PAF's defences. After the war ended, Chuck Yeager, who had experienced it first had, briefed at length the PAF on what it had done right and on what it had done wrong.

Many of Chuck Yeager's training and combat advice to the PAF was incorporated into PAF training and combat tactics manuals. Chuck Yeager's affiliation with the PAF was an honour to it.

#5 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-02-22 01:05 PM | Reply

Completely unexpected.

I had no clue this would be a Rigels thread.

#6 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2018-02-22 01:19 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

Completely unexpected.

I had no clue this would be a Rigels thread.

If it's bashing the U.S. military or the Indian Military, you can pretty much depend on it's going to be a Temain thread. The Pakistani's have a hatred for the Indians. The Indians are prettier and wont give up Kashmir. And now they have nukes. So they know the Indians will nuke them.

#7 | Posted by boaz at 2018-02-22 03:55 PM | Reply

Pakistan will now train their goats to fly for the PAF. That will sow India and the rest of the world that goats are more than a sex toy.

#8 | Posted by patron at 2018-02-22 05:10 PM | Reply

The Indians are prettier...

... sez our resident afreekan.

and now they have nukes

Which don't work right.

#9 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-02-23 01:02 AM | Reply

and wont give up Kashmir

Pakistan took half of Kashmir from India and still holds it. Pakistan even gifted some of it to China because of their historical claim. And now the Kashmir India holds is under constant threat. The Pakistan-part of Kashmir isn't.

So much for "not giving up Kashmir". LOL

Pakistan will now train their goats

Yeah well... we all know where YOU'RE coming from, Mr.Castro District.

#10 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-02-23 01:06 AM | Reply

And now the Kashmir India holds is under constant threat.

"Threat". Code word for WAR.

Now we know who is instigating the fighting.

#11 | Posted by boaz at 2018-02-23 07:40 AM | Reply

"Threat". Code word for WAR.

Says pfc.BOAZ...the coward who quit Afghanistan.

Now we know who is instigating the fighting.

Who? Who?

Go tell India! Quick! LOL

#12 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-02-23 08:31 AM | Reply

Go tell India! Quick!

But will that do any good???

#13 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-02-23 09:04 AM | Reply

She'll do fine as long there's no parallel parking involved.

#14 | Posted by visitor_ at 2018-02-23 10:47 AM | Reply