Monday, February 19, 2018

The fact is, divorce and family breakdown -- which, to answer my emailer's question, is the root of fatherlessness -- is catastrophic for children. There's more than one reason why, but an obvious one is that in the majority of cases, divorce separates children from their fathers. This is destructive to both boys and girls, but each sex suffers differently. Girls who grow up deprived of their father are more likely to become depressed, more likely to self-harm, and more likely to be promiscuous. But they still have their mothers, with whom they clearly identify. Boys do not have a comparable identification and thus suffer more from father absence. They also tend to act out in a manner that's harmful to others, which girls typically do not.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

As I have been saying, not all fatherless boys become school shooters; but all school shooters come from broken homes: Missing fathers and America's broken boys - the vast majority of mass shooters come from broken homes

Comments

It is appropriate to note that Fox News tags this article as an opinion, not a news story, on their site.

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2018-02-19 11:33 PM | Reply

#1 When I was in jail, it was always the same story with everyone I talked to (that could speak English): I came from a from a broken home. I personally think it's a very serious issue.

#2 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-02-20 12:14 AM | Reply

When I was in jail,

WHAT???

#3 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-02-20 12:46 AM | Reply | Funny: 2

Many people think I should have been in jail but the cops here are brain damaged. So they can't do much, lucky me.

Just in case, I have seen countless videos on youtube on how to pick locks. I still can't pick locks but maybe it'll kick in when I need it most.

#4 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-02-20 12:54 AM | Reply

What did the mass shooter say to the substrate?

Heavy, man.

#5 | Posted by madscientist at 2018-02-20 01:34 AM | Reply

The "why" the home was broken may be more of a clue than simply coming from a broken home.

I went through a divorce after 21 years of marriage and with three boys. Granted, they were teenagers, but my role as a dad and provider didn't change. The only difference was that we didn't sleep under the same food every night. My boys have made me as proud as I could have ever hoped for.

#6 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2018-02-20 07:14 AM | Reply

we didn't sleep under the same food every night

So before that you DID sleep under a banana tree?

#7 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-02-20 07:32 AM | Reply

Broad brush pseudopsychology is a waste of time. Both Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold came from intact homes. Millions of kids grow up in single family homes and become successful, well adjusted people.

"It's also noteworthy that I've know many "broken homes" that were physically still in tact but were spiritually and emotionally destroyed."

Very true, but more importantly, I have yet to see any connection between parents and mass murderers. I believe that there is something very deeply seated in the minds of those who commit such horrific crimes and ofter the parents are the last to know.

#8 | Posted by danni at 2018-02-20 08:16 AM | Reply

Broad brush pseudopsychology is a waste of time.

Almost every one of these school shooters has been a loner, bulllied and a product of a single family home. I even called this last one out before it was officially known. I knew he was going to be a "loner" or his peers would call him "weird".

There is the reason, but the solution is alot harder than just blaming guns.

#9 | Posted by boaz at 2018-02-20 08:21 AM | Reply

"Actually, it's not Danni. And I assume you think it's a waste of time because it takes from your narrative that an inanimate object like a gun can kill people."

It certainly does enable the psycho to kill people, without it he might stab someone or two but not seventeen dead, fourteen wounded.

"I even called this last one out before it was officially known. I knew he was going to be a "loner" or his peers would call him "weird"."

Gee, you insightful you are, as if everyone here wouldn't have predicted the exact same thing but, here's the big but, there are millions of loners who their peers call weird. They don't, by any means, all become mass murderers so you "predictive" psychobabble is useless. Prevent everyone who isn't law enforcement or military from having weapons of war and these psychos will be included in the group known as "everyone."

"It's time to bring back the assault weapons ban, gun violence experts say"

"For his 2016 book "Rampage Nation," Klarevas collected data on every gun massacre -- which he defines as six or more people shot and killed -- for the 50 years before 2016. His aim was to see whether there was any change in the number of gun massacres while the 10-year federal ban on assault weapons was in place.

He calls the results "staggering." Compared with the 10-year period before the ban, the number of gun massacres during the ban period fell by 37 percent, and the number of people dying from gun massacres fell by 43 percent. But after the ban lapsed in 2004, the numbers shot up again -- an astonishing 183 percent increase in massacres and a 239 percent increase in massacre deaths."

www.washingtonpost.com

#10 | Posted by danni at 2018-02-20 09:22 AM | Reply

This is not news. Children, especially young boys, who grow up in an environment where dad is largely absent statistically make up a large percentage of the criminal population.

#11 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-02-20 11:14 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Divorce can wreck children. I didn't like to admit it when my dad was alive, but his decision to leave the marriage when I was 10 took a heavy toll on me as a child. We had some close times after that -- and as a kid I often joked about the split -- but life wasn't the same. Parents have an awesome power: They define what "normal" is for children. It isn't easy to wake up one day and find out your normal is gone.

But with all that, this link omits a staggeringly obvious fact: a wrecked child with an AR-15 is incredibly dangerous. Addressing the problem without talking about guns is foolish. Keep guns away from the shooter so there's more opportunity for him to get mental health treatment and never harm anybody. Put 17 people back on the planet.

#12 | Posted by rcade at 2018-02-20 11:19 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Broad brush pseudopsychology is a waste of time.

#8 | Posted by danni

Same can be said for YOUR blame the gun BS too.

#13 | Posted by Sniper at 2018-02-20 11:21 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Ban broken homes!

#14 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-02-20 11:22 AM | Reply

Same can be said for YOUR blame the gun BS too.

Yeah let's never talk about the effectiveness and convenience of guns at mass killing. That's so smart.

How many people could the shooter have killed in 3 minutes if he couldn't obtain a gun? Only a bomb would be capable of that kind of carnage, but they take more skill and put the killer at considerably more risk.

#15 | Posted by rcade at 2018-02-20 11:33 AM | Reply

Ban broken homes!
#14 | Posted by snoofy

Let's go one step further. Ban Children!!!

#16 | Posted by truthhurts at 2018-02-20 11:37 AM | Reply

Ban Children...

Didn't some semi-public person suggest that if the shooter would have been aborted rather than put up for adoption we could avoid this?

#17 | Posted by sawdust at 2018-02-20 04:56 PM | Reply

Some of the people I see with multiple kids don't look fit to care for a hamster.

#18 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2018-02-20 07:00 PM | Reply

So what's the upshot here, instead of taking their guns away we're supposed to take their kids away???

#19 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-02-20 07:02 PM | Reply

inanimate object like a gun can kill people.

Very well stated Boaz.

#20 | Posted by ClownShack at 2018-02-20 07:06 PM | Reply

Not having positive, supportive, parents in your life, is devastating to the psychological development of children.

Which is why I'm pro abortion. Please don't have children you don't want and can't care for. It's not good for the child. It's not good for society.

#21 | Posted by ClownShack at 2018-02-20 07:15 PM | Reply

#18 | Posted by SheepleSchism

It's true. WE have to get training and a license and renewals to drive a car but any couple of dummies can have a baby (same sex dummies have to "buy" them, of course).

#22 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-02-20 07:50 PM | Reply

we didn't sleep under the same food every night
So before that you DID sleep under a banana tree?

#7 | POSTED BY J_TREMAIN AT 2018-02-20 07:32 AM | FLAG:

---- you Tremain. I'm working 7 days. Week. Give me a goddam break. I meant food= roof..better?

#23 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2018-02-20 08:50 PM | Reply

And milk your ------- camel before she gets mastitis, -------...

#24 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2018-02-20 08:51 PM | Reply

Camel milk has a high vitamin and mineral content and immunoglobin content.[2] Camel milk is three times higher in vitamin C than cow's milk and 10 times higher in iron. It is also high in unsaturated fatty acids and B vitamins but lower in vitamin A and B2 (than cow milk). The composition of camel milk depends on its feed and species: Bactrian milk has a higher fat content than dromedary milk.

Camel milk is lower in lactose than cow's milk.[3] However, levels of potassium,[3] magnesium, iron,[3] copper, manganese, sodium and zinc are higher than in cow's milk.

YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

#25 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-02-20 09:12 PM | Reply

Most violent criminals come from broken homes, I suspect.

#26 | Posted by eberly at 2018-02-20 09:37 PM | Reply

The vast majority of people who come from broken homes are not mass shooters.

#27 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-02-20 09:43 PM | Reply

Pot apparently is a gateway drug to heroin. But the vast, VAST majority of pot users never tried heroin.

Cause v. correlation

#28 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2018-02-20 09:48 PM | Reply

The vast majority of people who come from broken homes are not mass shooters.

Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-02-20 09:43 PM | Reply

true dat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#29 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-02-20 09:49 PM | Reply

I knew he was going to be a "loner" or his peers would call him "weird".

That doesn't necessarily mean he came from a broken home. Clearly he did, but being bullied in school is not a requisite for experiencing a broken home nor does experiencing a broken home necessitate being bullied.

But keep patting yourself on the back. It must feel good declaring victory anonymously on the interwebs.

#30 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2018-02-20 09:54 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Cause v. correlation

Hey, I've read that case. Correlation won on a legal technicality due to insufficient cause. ☺

#31 | Posted by madscientist at 2018-02-20 09:55 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

You dick Lol

We used to have a running joke in my Crim. Program that's no longer funny, mainly because I don't remember the punchline, but had something to do with the preference of v. versus vs. And whether you enjoyed Coors Light versus IPA.

Your joke made me laugh out loud much louder, for what it's worth.

LOL

#32 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2018-02-20 10:04 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"That doesn't necessarily mean he came from a broken home. Clearly he did,"

I recall reading Cruz was adopted. His father died about a decade ago due to a heart attack. His mother died in November due to complications of the flu (pneumonia). Were his parents divorced? I didn't know that, but why assume their divorce had a greater impact on him than his father's death?

#33 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-02-20 10:05 PM | Reply

YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

#25 | POSTED BY LAURAMOHR AT 2018-02-20 09:12 PM | FLAG:

You're on your own on that one.

#34 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2018-02-20 10:07 PM | Reply

I didn't know that, but why assume their divorce had a greater impact on him than his father's death.

That was a presumption and simultaneous attempt at giving BOAZ the benefit of the doubt that the shooter was from a "broken home."

But regardless whether his situation was influenced by a parent purposely leaving the family (i.e., broken home) or it was from more natural causes, the effect is still strikingly similar, possibly just to a lesser degree if natural since the abandonment factor wouldn't be as stark.

Forgive my attempt to give BOAZ the benefit of the doubt; I know not many here would do the same.

#35 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2018-02-20 10:16 PM | Reply

Apparently "broken homes" affect boys 100x more than they affect girls.
Either that, or "broken homes" isn't really to blame.

#36 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-02-20 10:33 PM | Reply

That doesn't necessarily mean he came from a broken home. Clearly he did ...

"Broken home" means divorced parents. The shooter had a different tragic situation: His adopted parents who both died while he was still a child.

Not that it excuses his actions in any way. A lot of people have bad childhoods and don't commit murder.

#37 | Posted by rcade at 2018-02-20 11:19 PM | Reply

Posted by rcade at 2018-02-20 11:19 PM | Reply

I disagree. One could be from a broken home and the parents still married if there is violence or abuse in the home setting one can't really call that a healthy home.

#38 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-02-20 11:23 PM | Reply

WOW What a run on sentence.

#39 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-02-20 11:24 PM | Reply

"One could be from a broken home and the parents still married"

That's not what "broken home" means.
But don't take my word for it.
www.google.com

#40 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-02-20 11:33 PM | Reply

As Snoofy said, "broken home" has a definition. You are trying to stretch it to cover other bad situations in a home.

#41 | Posted by rcade at 2018-02-21 08:51 AM | Reply

If the vast majority of school shooters come from "broken" homes, lets confiscate guns from those people, and weird kids. Solved.

#42 | Posted by bored at 2018-02-21 12:27 PM | Reply