Monday, February 19, 2018

I remember early in my career, one of my biggest fears walking into a networking event to schmooze or meeting someone for a business lunch was boring the other person to tears in conversation. I didn't want to be the windbag who dragged on forever, so I learned to be brief, to the point, and actually listen to the other person with all my being. I eventually avoided the mistake of talking about polarizing topics like politics or race, and learned to stay neutral, positive, and upbeat. I began to tune in to my body language and voice tone to avoid sounding monotone, or looking like a bump on a log. I trained my brain to show emotions, laugh at people's jokes, smile when they smile, and make light of awkward situations.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

But the biggest lesson for ensuring that I was being an interesting person who drew others in came down to asking the right questions. I found that this is what triggered authentic responses in the other person.

By showing curiosity about someone's story, accomplishments, passions, or interests, the law of reciprocity usually kicked in, and I had my turn to shine. There was a bonus attached to this strategy: Persuasion increased, which helped me steer the conversation in the direction I wanted it to go.

But here's the key: If you're in a conversation at a work-related function or meeting someone to talk business for the first time, your best move is not to ask work- or business-related questions; it's to discover common ties with that person that will steer the conversation back to the "work stuff," but with a deeper connection.

In other words, get to know that person! To really exercise persuasiveness and make a quick connection that may have mutual benefits (and possibly make a new friend), I'll leave you with these questions. Granted, some may not be your ideal, icebreaking conversational starters, so use your best judgment when and where to use them to deepen the conversation.

... 9 Questions Interesting People Ask ...

Are these people interesting because they ask these questions, or are the people interesting? If the latter, why are they interesting? If the former, why are the questions interesting?

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2018-02-19 10:59 PM | Reply

#1 I want to get to know you better. So... what is one of your defining moments?

#2 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-02-19 11:31 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

@#2 I want to get to know you better.

Why Sir, I'm not that type of person.

#3 | Posted by LampLighter at 2018-02-19 11:40 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

one of my most defining moments was in Japan in 1979 when the Greys started with the needles in my head, i jumped up and said Fun's Over, Enough is Enough!
then i woke up.

#4 | Posted by ichiro at 2018-02-19 11:50 PM | Reply

...most of those are my preferred pickup lines. 🏅

#5 | Posted by ichiro at 2018-02-19 11:52 PM | Reply

Have I entered the Twilight Zone?

Wow, friggin, wow.

This thread has gone south rather quickly...

#6 | Posted by LampLighter at 2018-02-19 11:57 PM | Reply

Best thing that happened to me this year....

I retired last June sold my home in Michigan and moved to South Carolina.

I *love* retirement.

My woodworking shop is almost set up. As soon as I finish building a storage shed, I can get down to making stuff for family and friends.

#7 | Posted by sawdust at 2018-02-20 05:40 AM | Reply

Why aren't urinals standard equipment in home bathrooms?

#8 | Posted by madscientist at 2018-02-20 10:06 AM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

"As soon as I finish building a storage shed, I can get down to making stuff for family and friends." - #7 | Posted by sawdust at 2018-02-20 05:40 AM

Can't "finish building" while posting.

You could "get down to making stuff for family and friends" a lot sooner if you stopped wasting your time here.

Just a friendly suggestion.

#9 | Posted by Hans at 2018-02-20 10:40 AM | Reply

HANS, I am retired. I have plenty of time.

Was up @ 4:30 this morning. Began work on some drawers for the Kitchen.

Just finished a round of golf and headed back out to the shop.

Waiting for the flat-work (cement) to be completed so I can get going on the shed.

Being on here is a good diversion.

#10 | Posted by sawdust at 2018-02-20 03:02 PM | Reply

10) Is that a gun in your pocket or you just happy to see me big boy?

11) You do know how to whistle don't you?

12) Your place or mine?