Tuesday, February 20, 2018

As another American town reels from the savagery of a mass shooting, the families of the Sandy Hook massacre victims are deciding how to honor their 26 loved ones slain five years ago. The families are reviewing 13 designs for a memorial that draw on themes of life, death and rebirth in nature. The designs, which were selected out of 188 submissions from across the United States and 12 other countries, propose such features as reflecting ponds, walls of remembrance and trees that give color in winter to bring hope out of darkness. "At the core of our design is the notion that the earth has the inexplicable ability to hold us and cradle our sorrows," reads the narrative of one design. "It has the grounding strength and beauty which invites us to be supported by the land."

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Another design emphasizes the living nature of the memorial, which would be on five acres in the heart of Sandy Hook - close enough to the newly built Sandy Hook School to hear playground sounds on a still day.

"We wanted to acknowledge that the healing process does not end, but continues and grows - much like the incredible compassion which many victims' families have put back into the world since the tragedy," reads the description of one design.

That description referred to home-grown missions such as Sandy Hook Promise, a nonprofit co-founded by parents who lost first-graders in the 2012 massacre that has become one the leading violence prevention organizations in the country.

Leaders of Sandy Hook Promise were among the activists and family members who spoke out against gun violence and reached out in solidarity to grieving families in Parkland, Florida, last week, where a 19-year-old with an AR-15-style rifle was accused of murdering 17 students and adults at his former high school.

So sad that nothing has changed since this tragedy.

#1 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2018-02-19 07:56 PM | Reply

I go to Newtown often for business (e.g., shopping, plus my dentist is there) and to visit friends (it's the next town to the east of me) and I can "feel" it when I am there. There's a sadness, a feeling of deep loss in the air.

The long lasting effects upon a community from these tragedies do not seem to be appreciated by those who do not experience them.

#2 | Posted by LampLighter at 2018-02-19 08:01 PM | Reply

When the memorial opens to the public, I would like to go there. Well, like isn't the right word, but I will try to go there.

#3 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-02-19 08:20 PM | Reply

Newtown, CT is a neat town. It is the only place that I know of that put a huge flagpole smack dab in the middle of The Major Road through the town. Lemme see if I can find a pic...

Just google for "Newtown flagpole" and you'll find a bunch of pics.

Here's one

#4 | Posted by LampLighter at 2018-02-19 08:48 PM | Reply

"Here's one"

Nice. I love so many of the small CT I've been in. I think I've mentioned I have a friend, a school psychologist, who answered the call to go to Newtown after the shooting to help counsel the grieving community. I'm glad they are creating this memorial.

#5 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-02-19 09:49 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

towns :)

#6 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-02-19 09:59 PM | Reply

When I first saw it, my impression was along the lines of (I'm cleaning this up) "that's a big friggin' flag."

The road you see is a state highway (CT route 25). A few years ago, Connecticut highway department wanted to take down the flagpole because it was a traffic hazard.

To be honest, the flagpole is not located in the best of spots.

However the good residents of Newtown would have nothing of that. The flagpole remained. It ain't goin' nowhere now. The state put its tail between its legs and retreated.

Local lore has it that Revolutionary Soldiers stood at the base of a flagpole at that spot and took target practice at the weather vanes on the adjacent church steeples (which can be seen if you go into google street view).

Newtown is a neat place.

#7 | Posted by LampLighter at 2018-02-19 10:00 PM | Reply

Now that I've googled more photos, I see what you mean! LOL

#8 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-02-19 10:06 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Not true,

The gunnuts are more fanatical and the frequency of the shootings has increased. A lot has changed, just for the worse.

#9 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2018-02-20 03:35 PM | Reply

I would go with a statue of Uncle Sam blowing his brains out with a handgun labeled "NRA" and the "2nd Amendment".

#10 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-02-20 05:06 PM | Reply

Needs a picture of Trump at the disco.

#11 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2018-02-20 05:09 PM | Reply

Gosh I wonder if it will be a gun free zone and Republicans will mock this?

#12 | Posted by Tor at 2018-02-20 05:10 PM | Reply

So sad that nothing has changed since this tragedy.

NRA has too many Republicans on the pay roll. What did you expect?

#13 | Posted by Sycophant at 2018-02-20 06:45 PM | Reply

Well, I don't have a design in mind, but I DO know a name for the memorial: The Mitch McConnell and Paul Ryan Slaughterhouse Memorial.

#14 | Posted by paltroon1 at 2018-02-20 09:43 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

An elephant holding an AR-15 aloft with its trunk surrounded by the bodies of dead children sounds appropriate.

#15 | Posted by dibblda at 2018-02-21 11:12 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

They should use the image of the sheriff pulling the "killing weapon" unused from the trunk of Lanza's car. The gun story changes multiple times. Unbelievable!
Maybe Photoshop it over a bail of hay, that seems appropriate.
What about that goofball forensics team? That aptly named medical examiner Wayne Carver seemed so stable and yet glee-filled in the midst of such incredible horror. What a man.
Maybe they needed a cadaver dog like the one used in Shanksville.
The parents - there are sooo many videos of the strange behaviors of these people, such as Robbie Parker.

#16 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2018-02-21 06:40 PM | Reply

I presume it could appear that two assailants easily abduct Adam at his mothers home, load his weapons into the trunk then proceed to the school in his mothers car. She drove a different vehicle that day? Both men were seen, appear military, act military and undoubtedly are trained operatives.

Both were scouting the school - that is where they were both seen. They are dressed to play and fled pursuit until physical capture was necessary - that is perhaps a most telling aspect of their training, but we don't know what their interrogation was like, let alone who they are or even names. We know nothing from authorities.

They appear dangerous so why place one in the front of the police cruiser? They usually frown on allowing others behind the wheel too. That seems strange and incredible unless this person had some form of security clearance that the police recognize, undoubtedly Federal and he didn't want to sit in back, like an egocentric ----.

Was this crucial information deliberately omitted?

From another perspective the killings could have been set up with two gunmen, two pistols each whom shot the children, dropping the guns as they unloaded, maybe shooting his mother first. Those rooms had no survivors. The other children didn't see the shooting at all, they only recall seeing two policemen directing them outside. I really don't want to parse the child interviews. There is a vast weirdness within the medical examiner performance, and his emphasis on the photography is perhaps most creepy. He could also be lying about the weapon used - because the mothers rifle was left in the trunk. Adam shot himself with a rifle? Who's?

It just seems like the police are the prime suspect. But why the chase? Why? We only a few police involved in the murders, the rest are patsy?

This might also explain why they are weaponizing police in every state - to use them.

This event like many are false flags. We are under siege from terrorists. Very, very embedded ones.

#17 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2018-02-22 12:12 AM | Reply