Sunday, February 18, 2018

Researchers from universities in Norway recently conducted a study, published in the American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, to determine how cleaners may contribute to lung decline over time. "While the short-term effects of cleaning chemicals on asthma are becoming increasingly well documented, we lack knowledge of the long-term impact," senior author Cecile Svanes said in a statement. "We feared that such chemicals, by steadily causing a little damage to the airways day after day, year after year, might accelerate the rate of lung function decline that occurs with age." For their assessment, they examined the lungs of more than 6,200 women and men from 22 health institutions, following them over a course of 20 years. During that time span, the participants were asked if they cleaned their homes and if they were professional cleaners. If so, they were also required to record how much they used typical liquid cleaning products.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

After analyzing the results, they found that women who cleaned as little as once a week had an accelerated lung decline risk. In fact, they said using cleaning products for 20 years is equivalent to smoking 20 cigarettes a day for 10 to 20 years for women. Men who cleaned did not see the same decline as women who cleaned.

The scientists said they were initially shocked by the results. "However, when you think of inhaling small particles from cleaning agents that are meant for cleaning the floor and not your lungs, maybe it is not so surprising after all," they wrote.

They believe the cleaning chemicals irritate the mucous membranes that line the airways, which causes damage. To lower the risk, the British Lung Foundation suggests looking for products that are labeled "allergy friendly" as they have fewer chemicals.

------- and water, and Dr. Bronner's are pretty much all we use in the TFD household.

#1 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2018-02-18 01:32 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

i've known that for years. - pigpen

#2 | Posted by ichiro at 2018-02-18 04:24 AM | Reply

My wife cleans up after me, so I'm good to go.

#3 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2018-02-18 07:38 AM | Reply

I'm with you on that one.

Straight vinegar in a spray bottle and old newspaper does wonders on glass - streak free windows.

#4 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2018-02-18 08:56 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Try mint oil cleaning the toilet shower and bath. most mom and pop grocery stores still stock it near the Pine-Sol.

#5 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2018-02-18 08:59 AM | Reply

I quit smoking decades ago and I greatly reduced my housecleaning too. I hate housework, having done it so many years cleaning up, doing laundry, cooking, etc. for a family with three kids. When the last one moved out I sort of retired from all that stuff. Haven't picked up an iron in years. Today, I keep house on a minimalist manner, it's livable but not "Better Homes & Gardens."

#6 | Posted by danni at 2018-02-18 09:19 AM | Reply

I have illegal aliens clean for me, so I have them used banned chemicals like carbon tetrachloride etc. If they complain, I call ICE before have to pay them.

#7 | Posted by visitor_ at 2018-02-18 09:33 AM | Reply

I guess it was too much trouble to list the offending chemicals.

#8 | Posted by Angrydad at 2018-02-18 03:04 PM | Reply

And just think of all the little plastic squirt bottles/spray canisters you are not putting into the environment when you use the same bottle to make a simple vinegar cleaning solution in.

#9 | Posted by horstngraben at 2018-02-18 04:30 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Acetic acid (vinegar) is great. And, most people would be surprised how little sodium hypochlorite (bleach) it takes to get the job done.

#10 | Posted by horstngraben at 2018-02-18 04:34 PM | Reply

I wonder how many people unknowingly mix aerosols of ammonia and bleach; windows with ammonia and counters with the bleach...

Sorry for the rambling here...

#11 | Posted by horstngraben at 2018-02-18 04:37 PM | Reply

I LOVE that song.

#12 | Posted by bayviking at 2018-02-18 05:14 PM | Reply

Cleaning the windows, dusting the furniture, scrubbing the bathroom, are all overrated.

Meanwhile I've got rows of corn growing behind my couch.

#13 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-02-18 05:53 PM | Reply

Ammonia + bleach:
NH3 + NaOCl -> NH2Cl+ NaOH

Mmm... chloramine. It'll kill ya.

#14 | Posted by woe_is_W at 2018-02-18 08:14 PM | Reply

hmmmmmm... more humans are alive than ever before in recorded history... breathing has always eventually killed us... one way or another...

always some particulate(s) floating around in it that's gonna get meh and make meh dayed.

This is not news.

You still have to clean your room!

#15 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2018-02-19 07:22 AM | Reply

the og HL was better. breathing can damage your lungs.

#16 | Posted by ichiro at 2018-02-19 07:41 AM | Reply

Great. I cleaned all 3 bathrooms in our house on Saturday. My lungs are apparently going into rapid decline.

#17 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-02-19 11:27 AM | Reply