Thursday, February 15, 2018
A two-month investigation into the conduct of Peter Martins, the former chief of New York City Ballet and its school, did not corroborate any allegations of sexual harassment or physical abuse that several former dancers and others made against him this winter, according to a statement on Thursday. Still, the ballet and school announced new policies to assure that dancers "feel safe, respected and able to voice their opinions and concerns freely."
The mixed signals -- that there was no verifiable abuse, yet new policies were needed -- infuriated some former dancers who had accused Mr. Martins of misconduct. Yet there were also bound to be frustrations among supporters of Mr. Martins, who retired last month under the pressure of the allegations, even though he professed his innocence and the investigation wasn't complete. Some said they wished he still led the ballet or want to hold a tribute honoring him.
Mr. Martins, in a statement provided by his lawyer, said he was "gratified for the conclusions" of the investigation, conducted by an outside counsel, Barbara Hoey; her report will not be publicly released.
Admin's note: Participants in this discussion must follow the site's moderation policy. Profanity will be filtered. Abusive conduct is not allowed.