Thursday, February 15, 2018

A link between highly processed foods and cancer has been suggested by French researchers. They classified foods including cakes, chicken nuggets and mass-produced bread as "ultra-processed". A study of 105,000 people hinted the more of such foods people ate, the greater their risk of cancer.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

What counts as ultra-processed

Comments

screenshotscdn.firefoxusercontent.com

SAD!

#1 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-02-14 11:40 PM | Reply

Ramen noodles NOOOOOOOOOOO!

This is really stressful, I'm gonna need a cigarette and a whisky just to calm down.

#2 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-02-14 11:45 PM | Reply | Funny: 5

I read about this guy who worked at a microwave popcorn factory and got lung disease. And then this other guy who ate 2 bags of microwave popcorn every day who got the same thing.

abcnews.go.com

I quit getting microwave popcorn.. and then couldn't, no matter where I looked, get any normal popcorn... only microwave-popcorn in a bag with poison-butter. It took me six frakking months to find the damn thing online ... normal popcorn I can make in a microwave with coconut oil... not the poison fake-butter they use.

Point is, I went through a lot of anguish and mental torture trying to find normal popcorn but I did it and it was worth it.

One should never give up.

#3 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-02-15 12:20 AM | Reply

#3 Well, now you've done it. I'm a paid informant for the federal popcorn police, as well as a 33rd degree Illuminated Poison Popcorn Grand-Master, and I now I know who you are. Expect a mid-night jack-booted thug visit by black helicopter, pal. Also, the Stay-Puffed Marsh-mellow Man has been alerted to your internet activities as well.

#4 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-02-15 12:33 AM | Reply | Funny: 3

"Mass-produced packaged breads and buns Sweet or savoury packaged snacks including crisps Chocolate bars and sweets Sodas and sweetened drinks Meatballs, poultry and fish nuggets Instant noodles and soups Frozen or shelf-life ready meals Foods made mostly or entirely from sugar, oils and fats"

AKA, the new SNAP food boxes!

#5 | Posted by Danforth at 2018-02-15 12:34 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

#2 Every so often, snoofy bats one out of the ball-park. FF.

#6 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-02-15 12:35 AM | Reply

Ramen noodles NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Yeah buddy... I know, I know.

6 months without popcorn felt like I was sent to Siberian Gulag.

You can of course cook noodles the old fashioned way. They'll even taste better. Good food can only happen with some sweat and tears spent in the kitchen.

Whenever it's Instant-This or Instant-That, it means the Illuminati are going to shove some chemical up your bum. It's the chemicals that make it "instant".

Who needs that?

#7 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-02-15 01:45 AM | Reply

#7 Sure, just dig yourself in deeper. I'm going with rendition to Syria.

#8 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-02-15 01:49 AM | Reply

Based on this study, I am 100% cancer by now.

#9 | Posted by bored at 2018-02-15 02:23 AM | Reply

Sugar and high transfat oils are bad for you?

Didn't see that coming.

#10 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2018-02-15 07:31 AM | Reply

AKA, the new SNAP food boxes!
#5 | Posted by Danforth at 2018-02-15 12:34 AM

Why do you keep lying about this? Literally nothing on the list of foods provided as ultra-processed are on the list of foods in the SNAP box. Why do you hate people on SNAP so much that you'd be willing to lie about a program designed to help them? Is your central issue just to inflict hurt on those whose sole mistake may be being born less lucky than you?
"USDA would utilize a model similar to that currently used to distribute USDA Foods to other nutrition assistance programs to provide staple, shelf-stable foods (such as shelf-stable milk, juice, grains, ready-to-eat cereals, pasta, peanut butter, beans, canned meat, poultry or fish, and canned fruits and vegetables) to SNAP households at approximately half the retail cost"

Before you try to deceive your way out of your actions, meatballs and fish or chicken nuggets aren't the same as canned meat, poultry or fish.
Shelf-stable foods is not the same as shelf-stable meals.

#11 | Posted by Avigdore at 2018-02-15 08:07 AM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

Canned meat.
Canned vegetables.
Canned fruit.

Your inability to distinguish between these and better choices is duly noted.

#12 | Posted by Danforth at 2018-02-15 08:19 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

What is "mass produced bread and rolls"?

A loaf of rainbow bread from the store?

#13 | Posted by eberly at 2018-02-15 09:10 AM | Reply

A loaf of rainbow bread from the store?

Posted by eberly at 2018-02-15 09:10 AM | Reply

Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I sorely miss Rainbow bakery. The smell was divine.

#14 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-02-15 09:14 AM | Reply

Your inability to distinguish between these and better choices is duly noted. - #12 | Posted by Danforth at 2018-02-15 08:19 AM
I've never said that there is no difference between those things.
You have lied about what is in the SNAP package. My question is why do you continue to do so? The first time you claimed simple ignorance:

"Is this ignorance or intentionally trying to mislead people?'
Ignorance... #158 | Posted by Danforth at 2018-02-14 08:51 PM

But now you continue to pass off false and misleading claims, and I'd really like to know why that is.
Normally you've behaved at least rationally on most subjects, but on this one you've chosen to lie repeatedly. What's going on?

#15 | Posted by Avigdore at 2018-02-15 09:26 AM | Reply

A loaf of rainbow bread from the store?

#13 | POSTED BY EBERLY AT 2018-02-15 09:10 AM | FLAG:

Industrial bakery produced white breads that are so high in sugar content the rest of the world considers it cake.

#16 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2018-02-15 09:30 AM | Reply

What's going on?

#15 | POSTED BY AVIGDORE AT 2018-02-15 09:26 AM | FLAG:

Danforth moonlights as Food Babe.

#17 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2018-02-15 09:31 AM | Reply

During my travels, in The Retort's Favorite Country, I found a bakery called "French Bakery". I thought, really? Here? Let's see....

They had French Bread of course... that long thing that looks like a baseball bat. And then they had this huge fat bun which looked kind of interesting.

I asked, this is also some kind of french bread? Guy said, no sahib, it's "Italian Bread". Oookay.. never had any so I said to the guy, WTF, gimme some of that.

Well it was super hard on the outside... if you bang it on a Freemason's head, he's going down. But when you cut it open with a serrated knife, it was super SUPER soft on the inside with a garlic flavor. It's the kind of bread you would use as currency in Zombie Apocalypse. It's the kind of bread that is beyond the imagination of a certain DOTARD who eats pizza with a knife and fork like a moron (remember THAT.. LOL).

If an Italian offers you bread, HAVE SOME! These people KNOW baking.

#18 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-02-15 10:06 AM | Reply

It's not an accident they invented pizza.

#19 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-02-15 10:08 AM | Reply

If an Italian offers you bread, HAVE SOME! These people KNOW baking.

#18 | POSTED BY J_TREMAIN AT 2018-02-15 10:06 AM | REPLY

Cuban bread is better.

#20 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2018-02-15 10:12 AM | Reply

What's it like?

#21 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-02-15 10:14 AM | Reply

en.wikipedia.org

Nice! I'll try that sometime...

#22 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-02-15 10:20 AM | Reply

It's like french bread, but better, and very local to Florida. You know it's "cuban bread" because of the palm leaf.

Since you're pretending that you live in America, it's time to educate you on one of the standard items in American life, the loaf of "french bread" you just raved about but only "found in French Bakery". Every single grocery store chain has a bakery. The stores are built so you pass through the bakery and fresh produce sections first. Every single grocery chain in America, and specifically here in Houston where you claim to live, has this layout. There is solid, peer reviewed science as to why. Every single morning they make hundreds of loaves of "french bread". They are then put in warming racks at the bakery and also next to the checkouts. Hard, crusty outside, warm, fluffy interior, very consistent quality. Everybody who has ever been to a grocery store here knows about them. It is not special or unique in any way whatsoever, simply a standard grocery store item.

Specifically in Texas if you are going to a non-industrial, non-grocery store bakery, it's highly likely it's a Czeck bakery with passed down traditions. What are called "kolaches" are actually klobasnek. It's a sweet bread wrapped around a savory stuffing. Real kolaches are the same sweet bread with a fruit filling. Both are delicious. Don't get it wrong, the old Czecks will give you the stink eye.

#23 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2018-02-15 10:28 AM | Reply

the loaf of "french bread" you just raved about

I did not rave about French bread. I raved about Italian bread.

but only "found in French Bakery"

It was everywhere. It was machine made and it was bakery made. I was simply telling a story about a certain bakery I visited at a certain time in a country that is not the US.

it's time to educate you on one of the standard items in American life

Oh please!

Seriously. Please.

When and where did I say it doesn't???

No, I never liked those.

#24 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-02-15 10:37 AM | Reply

I did not rave about French bread. I raved about Italian bread.

#24 | POSTED BY J_TREMAIN AT 2018-02-15 10:37 AM | FLAG:

"They had French Bread of course..."

If you're going to fake that you live in a country, at least get the basics of the culture right before anecdotes.

#25 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2018-02-15 10:49 AM | Reply

at least get the basics of the culture right before anecdotes.

Dude... you still don't get it.

I was traveling in India, Pakistan, UAE and Thailand. I did not expect to find french bread over there. But I did. By the ton. I didn't expect to see a bakery called "french bakery".. that doesn't mean anything, it's just a name and the people running it weren't french. I did not expect to find italian bread. But I did.

The anecdote was not about Texas nor about the USA in general. At all.

Confusion gone???

#26 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-02-15 10:56 AM | Reply

If you're going to fake

I have never faked anything in my life. Not even an ------.

#27 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-02-15 10:57 AM | Reply

The country the anecdote was from is into this kind of bread:

tribune.com.pk

So it was a surprise for me to find italian bread THERE. Asian cultures aren't exactly known for their baking skillz.

How is that so hard to understand???

#28 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-02-15 11:05 AM | Reply

If you want to have some control in what is in your food, stop buying prepared foods and cook. Grow you own veggies, cut up chicken yourself, do a little baking. Link to cancer ? well duh! Prepared food is saturated with fat and sugar, MSG and enough chemicals to mummify a rat. But I guess that would require someone to get off the couch.

#29 | Posted by docnjo at 2018-02-15 02:24 PM | Reply

#29 | POSTED BY DOCNJO

Yeah, because a single mom working multiple minimum-wage jobs trying to feed her family has all the time in the world to do all that shopping, prep, and cooking. And, of course, the requisite cooking skills and kitchen facilities.

#30 | Posted by WhoDaMan at 2018-02-15 06:26 PM | Reply

because a single mom working multiple minimum-wage jobs

Is every woman in America a "single mom working multiple minimum-wage jobs trying to feed her family"?

Every dad is a deadbeat? Already? I was giving it another 20 years to reach that point.

#31 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-02-16 06:22 AM | Reply

No, but a lot of those on SNAP are. Even in two-parent households with low incomes, it can be a problem.

#32 | Posted by WhoDaMan at 2018-02-16 07:36 AM | Reply

#30 | Posted by WhoDaManYou obviously have no idea what you are doing in a kitchen. I raised four kids and dinner took me less than an hour to prepare, Lunches were packed up and put in the frig the night before and breakfast was not that difficult. Beyond that, factory prepared food is much more expensive. Slow cookers and microwaves are quite valuable for a working family.

#33 | Posted by docnjo at 2018-02-16 08:46 AM | Reply

I'll give you and example, one of our run of the mill suppers.
One pound of pinto beans .50
One pound of rice .50
two cans of chopped tomatoes 1.75
garlic, peppers and some spice .50
Bacon ends and pieces 1/2 pound 1.00
Dinner for 6, for less than 5 bucks.

#34 | Posted by docnjo at 2018-02-16 10:09 AM | Reply

When it comes to cheap food... growing it and cooking it... nobody is better than Kurt Saxon. You can look up his videos on YouTube. Bad VHS quality from the 80-90s, but ignore that. He can produce food out of thin air.

He also made videos of and wrote the "Poor Man's James Bond" series of books. The man was a racist redneck anarchist who couldn't wait for WW3 to start. He made ----- traps and weapons to kill the Russians if they ever showed up at his front door. He probably spent 90% of his time doing that.

But his ideas on food are worth listening to.

#35 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-02-16 10:40 AM | Reply

#35 | Posted by J_Tremain Do not do anything in "The Poor Mans James Bond". First, assembling an explosive device is a felony. Modifying firearms is a felony. Most of the chemistry he details will ether get you killed or result in you being poisoned or burnt badly. He don't know squat about this stuff. Most of the stuff he sites was gleaned from the Anarchist's Cookbook, another book riddled with erroneous information that will get you killed. I learned how to make IEDs from experts in Iraq, and I have absolutely no desire to build one. Still it was common for these guys to get killed by their own devices. Don't do it. There are more effective ways to effect political change.

#36 | Posted by docnjo at 2018-02-16 12:44 PM | Reply

Ah, the old "if I could do it, anybody can, and if they don't, they don't deserve help" argument. All men are created equal under the law, but all men (and women) are not created equal in ability. It would serve your soul more if you could focus on the "walk a mile in the other's shoes" approach. It is morally hazardous to judge others.

#37 | Posted by WhoDaMan at 2018-02-16 08:35 PM | Reply

Poo.

I like chicken tenders.

#38 | Posted by Tor at 2018-02-16 08:50 PM | Reply

Do not do anything in "The Poor Mans James Bond".

I find it amazing that I agree on this with a low-life like yourself.

If you notice in the videos, Kurt is missing most of his fingers on one hand.....

Most of the stuff he sites was gleaned from the Anarchist's Cookbook

Not really. It's from all over the place. And it's dangerous... the chemicals he ends up using are quite unstable.

However, that is not the point I was trying to make when I mentioned him in this thread. He DOES know food and is a "survivalist". He is paranoid and sees Russians, Muslims and Muslim-Russians everywhere and that makes him a better survivalist.

His videos on securing food supplies and cooking healthy are a must-see. Ignore the crazy weapons stuff.

en.wikipedia.org

#39 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-02-16 10:03 PM | Reply

Preservatives, by definition, cannot be digested properly.

#40 | Posted by bayviking at 2018-02-17 08:21 AM | Reply

Preservatives, by definition, cannot be digested properly. - #40 | Posted by bayviking at 2018-02-17 08:21 AM
Salt and vinegar are used as preservatives.
How Vinegar Affects Digestion (Hint: It aids)
The Importance of Salt in Your Diet (Hint: it is almost a requirement)
What definition of preservatives are you using?

#41 | Posted by Avigdore at 2018-02-17 08:46 AM | Reply

Salt is OK, within limits, ham is better than rotting pork. Vinegar even better. Ligonberries are a terrific preservative. I should be more precise at times. I was thinking about chemical industry preservatives like Sodium Sulfite and Sodium Nitrate, the stuff they put in packaged meats and the trans fats and preservatives used in baked goods with a year long shelf life.

#42 | Posted by bayviking at 2018-02-17 09:43 AM | Reply

The following HTML tags are allowed in comments: a href, b, i, p, br, ul, ol, li and blockquote. Others will be stripped out. Participants in this discussion must follow the site's moderation policy. Profanity will be filtered. Abusive conduct is not allowed.

Anyone can join this site and make comments. To post this comment, you must sign it with your Drudge Retort username. If you can't remember your username or password, use the lost password form to request it.
Username: