Tuesday, February 13, 2018

"Gibson Brands, Inc. today announced that the company made a $16.6 million coupon payment to holders of its $375 million, 8.875% senior secured notes due 2018." That simple statement issued a week ago -- at all of 26 words, it's less than a quarter the length of Gibson's boilerplate company description that accompanied it -- suggests a business-as-usual tone of a company taking care of its contractual commitments. But the situation facing the iconic Nashville-based music instrument maker, which has annual revenues of more than $1 billion, is far from normal: CFO Bill Lawrence recently left the company after less than a year on the job and just six months before $375 million of senior secured notes will mature. On top of that, another $145 million in bank loans will come due immediately if those notes, issued in 2013, are not refinanced by July 23.

Comments

The name is too valuable to die, but you have to wonder what's coming.

#1 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2018-02-13 07:07 AM | Reply

The only reason to own a *real* Gibson today is sheer brand greed. There are too many other companies making quality tonewood products at a reasonable price.

Nash, PRS, Ibanez, G&L, Epiphone, Gretsch, Eastman. Even Fender is back to making quality instruments in Corona, Ca. in the sub-$2G range

And I wouldn't pay for a Taylor or Martin either. Not when Seagull and Breedlove are out there.

#2 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2018-02-13 10:36 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

If I'm looking for that deep, rich acoustic sound, what brand/model do you recommend?

#3 | Posted by Danforth at 2018-02-13 10:44 AM | Reply

For acoustics check out Seagull, Breedlove, Eastman.

For electric semi-hollow thinbodies check out Ibanez and Epiphone.

Hollowbodies, check out Gretsch Electromatic.

Solidbodies - PRS, G&L (Leo Fender), Ibanez, Dean.

Here's a cool site for new/used gear with great prices - Reverb.com

#4 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2018-02-13 10:50 AM | Reply

My 40 year old Yamaha FG335 II is the envy of every musician who plays it. Amazing tone and Jazz-Guitar easy action is a mystery of musical value.

I dont know how Yamaha is doing today, quality wise, but they knocked it out of the park in '80.

#5 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2018-02-13 12:32 PM | Reply

It's true that the duopoly of Gibson/Fender is long gone. So many happening small and boutique brands these days. Plus it's the golden age of $100 Chinese made guitars. I am a die hard SG fan, but I love my DiPinto for bar gigs.
www.dipintoguitars.com

#6 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2018-02-13 01:08 PM | Reply

Plus it's the golden age of $100 Chinese made guitars.

I'll bet they sound just GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll keep my Epie.

#7 | Posted by Sniper at 2018-02-13 01:17 PM | Reply

-I love my DiPinto

Way cool looking guitars. I've never heard of them before, but they kind of look like 80's Japanese models.

Very retro!!

#8 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2018-02-13 01:42 PM | Reply

#5 | POSTED BY OLDWHISKEYSOUR

Nice acoustic...Yamaha made some good ones!

I had one years ago.

#9 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2018-02-13 01:44 PM | Reply

Yes, they love the funky old Japanese designs, but unlike those, DiPintos are very well built. I have the least flashy model, the Belvedere Standard , and it holds up well to my pounding. I even use it as my back up metal guitar.

#10 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2018-02-13 02:38 PM | Reply