Monday, February 12, 2018

The Los Angeles Times reports that one Disneyland social club is suing another for allegedly demanding Mafia-style protection money to make sure its members were safe during a charity walk. Yes, you just read Disneyland and Mafia in the same sentence. ... Disney social clubs have been around for about five years and are membership-only groups of mostly adults, dressed in matching denim vests with the club's logo and other Disney patches and pins. About 100 such clubs may roam the park on any given day, aiming to accomplish feats such as a "ride takeover" in which only members are on a given attraction at one time. The Sons of Thunder, Neverlanders and Walt's Wonderers are just a few of the cleverly named groups, and the "SC," which stands for "Social Club" after their names, is inspired by the "MC" ("Motorcycle Club") in the full names of the Hells Angels et al.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

In a lawsuit filed in Orange County Superior Court, California, John and Leslee Sarno, founders of Main Street Fire Station 55 Social Club, claim that in 2016, the group was planning a 9/11 memorial walk and fundraiser in the park. They allege that members of the White Rabbits Club, including leader Jakob Fite, told John Sarno to pay $500 to "protect" walkers or else Sarno and his wife would no longer be able to visit Disneyland.

Comments

Another rich, white-people problem. And by "people", I mean, stupid.

#1 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2018-02-12 10:38 AM | Reply

my kids are of the age that their interest in Disneyland is faded......this just helps seal the deal.....not going back.

#2 | Posted by eberly at 2018-02-12 10:56 AM | Reply

"or else Sarno and his wife would no longer be able to visit Disneyland."

And Jacob Fite is the sole arbiter of who gains access to Disneyland?

#3 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2018-02-12 04:15 PM | Reply

If you like to stand in crowds, get pushed by crowds and wait 2 hours for a five minute awesome ride, if you like paying $3.50 for a 15 cent Coke, then Disneyland and DisneyWorld are for you.

#4 | Posted by bayviking at 2018-02-12 04:38 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I really enjoyed Disneyland when i sent for grad night. High School seniors take over and keep the park open all night for them. It was a blast. Took my kids a few years ago and it was awful. It was so commercialized, shops everywhere you looked trying to sell you something. The lines for rides were hidden and terribly long. I will never return. We enjoy Six Flags and Great America way more.

#5 | Posted by justagirl_idaho at 2018-02-12 04:43 PM | Reply

" It was so commercialized, shops everywhere you looked trying to sell you something." - #5 | Posted by justagirl_idaho at 2018-02-12 04:43 PM

And the somethings they're trying to sell are all Disney/Mickey-branded stuff.

That was my impression looking at the shops in Epcot: Each country represented had a gift shop. But instead of offering items imported from those very countries, all they had were Disney/Mickey-branded stuff.

#6 | Posted by Hans at 2018-02-12 04:51 PM | Reply

Walt Disney's vision is going to ----.

#7 | Posted by squinch at 2018-02-12 05:47 PM | Reply

The "Apple-Dumpling Gang", rides again!!!!

#8 | Posted by zelkova at 2018-02-12 07:37 PM | Reply

Disney is the reason our shared cultural heritage will be owned by corporations in perpetuity. They are evil incarnate.

en.wikipedia.org

#9 | Posted by visitor_ at 2018-02-13 07:47 AM | Reply

What a waste of time and money.

#10 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-02-13 08:23 AM | Reply

There is a club on the grounds of Disneyland called the "42". It's dues are $42,000 to join plus thousands more every year in membership fees. I can see no reason to pay that sort of money for a place to have a drink. Hell, I could buy a bar for that sort of money.

#11 | Posted by docnjo at 2018-02-13 11:27 AM | Reply

#5 I remember Grad Night. They used to close down some rides like that Mansanto ride that shrunk you because it was a slow sex ride.
#11 I think you're talking about club 33. The entrance is over by TPOTC. I had a buddy high up in Disney that used to get me passes for people I worked with.

#12 | Posted by JimDuncan at 2018-02-13 12:48 PM | Reply

First time I ever saw a person smoke pot was on the skyway at Disneyland. I believe it was a D ticket. Bastard didn't share.

#13 | Posted by JimDuncan at 2018-02-13 12:55 PM | Reply