Tuesday, February 06, 2018

Japanese scientists may have discovered a cure for baldness -- and it lies within a chemical used to make McDonald's fries. A stem cell research team from Yokohama National University used a "simple" method to regrow hair on mice by using dimethylpolysiloxane, the silicone added to McDonald's fries to stop cooking oil from frothing. Preliminary tests indicated that the groundbreaking method was likely to be just as successful when transferred to human skin cells.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

In 2016, the U.S. hair loss treatment manufacturing industry was worth $6 billion. This included companies that produced restorative hair equipment, such as grafts for hair restoration, as well as oral and topical treatments.

McDonald's did not respond to Newsweek's request for comment at the time of publication.

Comments

That Trump, he may be more canny than we suspect... no wonder they found McDonalds in his bed!

#1 | Posted by Corky at 2018-02-05 09:10 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#Corky Ronald or his wife?

#2 | Posted by Tor at 2018-02-05 10:59 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

www.newsweek.com

#3 | Posted by ichiro at 2018-02-06 05:12 AM | Reply

So do we have to eat more McDonald's fries or can we just rub them on our heads?

#4 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-02-06 01:53 PM | Reply

I've been shaving my head for nearly 20 years. I wish I could make make my head go bald because I would save a lot of money on razors.

#5 | Posted by jamesgelliott at 2018-02-06 02:53 PM | Reply

So that hair is real?

#6 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2018-02-06 03:29 PM | Reply

#4 | POSTED BY DONNERBOY AT 2018-02-06 01:53 PM | REPLY | FLAG:

I hear you just pour a small fry down your pants, once a day, every day, and ta dah! Hair.

No follow-up questions, thank you.

#7 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-02-06 05:09 PM | Reply

#5 | Posted by jamesgelliott

Just get it lasered.

#8 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2018-02-06 06:47 PM | Reply

Awesome

#9 | Posted by hamburglar at 2018-02-06 10:04 PM | Reply

#4 | POSTED BY DONNERBOY

No D-Boy. The substance is integral to the follicle development process, which includes other factors. Hence, rubbing this ---- on your head or just eating french fries won't do dittly squat but make your head flaky and add inches to your waist.

#10 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2018-02-06 10:19 PM | Reply

Mr. Potatohead approves..

#11 | Posted by Greatamerican at 2018-02-07 12:35 AM | Reply

So if a guy eats enough McDonalds French Fries he can leave a corpse with a nice head of hair after he dies from a heart attack. Brilliant!

#12 | Posted by danni at 2018-02-07 08:42 AM | Reply

My testosterone blocker cured my bald spot.

#13 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-02-07 08:45 AM | Reply

Considering how Trumpo eats McDonalds daily, this video proves that theory to be a lie:
pic.twitter.com/mIz0oetAYd