Friday, February 02, 2018

As previously reported, singer Dennis Edwards died at age 74 on Friday (Feb. 2) at his home in Chicago.

In 1968, Edwards laid his claim to fame when he took over lead vocals for The Temptations after previous frontman David Ruffin fell out of favor with the group.

The switch came at a pivotal time for the Motown heavyweights, who were riding a streak of 10 consecutive top 40 singles on the Billboard Hot 100 since 1966, with five of those tunes entering the top 10.

Edwards delivered and The Temptations continued their winning ways, landing 27 Hot 100 entries during the main Edwards era of late 1968 through 1977.

Nine of those titles reached the top 10, with three – "I Can't Get Next to You," "Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)" and "Papa Was a Rollin' Stone" – becoming the group's second, third and fourth No. 1 hits, respectively

Comments

RIP to a great talent.

This is who he replaced, David Ruffin, in the original studio version of My Girl.

www.youtube.com

#1 | Posted by Corky at 2018-02-02 10:22 PM | Reply

Another great gone at a young age of 74. Thanks for the music!

#2 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2018-02-03 12:24 PM | Reply

Thank you God! The Temptations were such a gift. RIP Mr. Edwards. Can't claim I knew which Temptation you were, because I'm not a pretentious liar, but I can claim to have loved you as a group. They were simply fantastic! His music was part of every high school dance I ever attended.

"My Girl"

www.vagalume.com.br

#3 | Posted by danni at 2018-02-03 12:36 PM | Reply

RIP.

I loved and still love the Temptations.

I've got about 600 plus songs on my smart-phone. I'm willing to guess about 25 to 30% is Motown, the most romantic & beautiful songs in the world.

#4 | Posted by shane at 2018-02-03 01:45 PM | Reply

The Temptations ended when David Ruffin left, followed by break-ups and re-tools.

The various competing incarnations that followed were basically tribute and nostalgia acts.

Ruffin, Eddie, and Otis made it the T's.

#5 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2018-02-03 02:30 PM | Reply

Ask yourself, did you really see Lynyrd Skynyrd in concert?

You know you didn't.

#6 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2018-02-03 02:32 PM | Reply

#5 | POSTED BY SHEEPLESCHISM> Yeah I agree. I just listen to the original 60's &70's stuff.

Phil Collins version "Papa was a Rolling Stone" makes me cringe in some parts, but hey he's an Englishman. It really wasn't that bad though.

www.youtube.com