Tuesday, January 30, 2018

America's comfort level with the LGBTQ population is declining, according to GLADD, one of the oldest and largest LGBTQ organizations. GLAAD reports a drop of 3 to 4 percent drop in people's reported "comfort levels" with several scenarios, such as learning a family member is gay. "This year, the acceptance pendulum abruptly stopped and swung in the opposite direction," the report states. "More non-LGBTQ adults responded that they were ‘very' or ‘somewhat' uncomfortable around LGBTQ people in select scenarios." The decline is paired with a significant increase in LGBTQ people reporting discrimination because of sexual orientation or gender identity," the report continues. "This change can be seen as a dangerous repercussion in the tenor of discourse and experience over the last year. 2017 brought heightened rhetoric toward marginalized communities to the forefront of American culture." The survey incorporated 2,100 respondents...and has been in place for several years.

Comments

Interesting, and it makes sense, when you really think about it.

#1 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-01-30 11:37 AM | Reply

The Federalist is a garbage site. Not surprising Jeff links to it.

#2 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-01-30 11:47 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

The author of the article

www.breitbart.com

Chad Felix Greene: Why the LGBT Left Promotes the Sexualization of Children

MY WORDS FOLLOW

Real piece of garbage he is.

#3 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-01-30 11:51 AM | Reply

I'd be willing to bet all of my earthly possessions that Laura didn't read the linked piece.

It's not even remotely hateful, it merely offers up some reasoning why comfort levels with LGBT people have dropped recently.

#4 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-01-30 12:24 PM | Reply

Jeff,

What is happening is close to what is going on in the divided culture in general.
www.bloomberg.com

So better to not say anything, get involved with anyone, it could cost you everything... keep your eyes on your phone and swipe left.....

Why the LGBT Left Promotes the Sexualization of Children

I wouldn't say that, but I would say our adult preoccupation of sex and gender should be the last thing on a child's mind, unfortunately there are parents that put it front and center. I see it as a form of virtue signalling.

#5 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2018-01-30 12:42 PM | Reply

Last week I considered our culture's vanishing burden of proof when a prominent any man is accused of any sexual impropriety. Certainly I wouldn't want the bad old days of sexual harassment to continue. But there must be some way to find justice for women who have been abused without rushing to punish men who may not have abused anyone.

Needs to be said..

#6 | Posted by boaz at 2018-01-30 03:39 PM | Reply

"But there must be some way to find justice for women who have been abused without rushing to punish men who may not have abused anyone"

if they have done nothing wrong, then they have nothing to worry about

Needs to be said..

#7 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2018-01-30 03:45 PM | Reply

America's comfort level with the LGBTQ population is declining

I wouldn't say it's declining.

Trump has allowed people to feel comfortable with their bigotry and intolerance.

America's comfort level towards the LGBTQ+ population is increasing. Just not as fast as when bigots were ashamed of their intolerances.

#8 | Posted by ClownShack at 2018-01-30 04:09 PM | Reply

I agree. I don't think individuals have gone backwards in their level of tolerance. Trump might make it easier for someone's intolerance to be more vocal and visible but I don't think he has impacted someone's individual level of tolerance.

#9 | Posted by eberly at 2018-01-30 04:26 PM | Reply

The White House lite up rainbow lights after the Supreme Court decision.

Imply what you want but it was in poor taste.

I thought it was photoshopped at first because surely Obama isn't that crass.

#10 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-01-30 04:36 PM | Reply

Eb,

When I smoked pot I hung out with other pot smokers.

More than once I heard someone comment, "everyone smokes pot".

Sure. Most people I knew did.

GLADD says a study has revealed a new trend but the local liberals know otherwise.

Maybe they just know a lot of openly gay people.

#11 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-01-30 04:45 PM | Reply

If tolerance of LGBT people dropped last year, I would not be surprised. A lot of tolerance dropped when an openly bigoted president was elected and it made a lot of bigots feel emboldened to air their hate in public.

For a while it seemed like every drunk or crazy going full bigot in public was citing Trump. They connected to the times he expressed bigoted sentiments and the moments where he was challenged to condemn bigots and couldn't bring himself to do it.

#12 | Posted by rcade at 2018-01-30 04:55 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I don't think people are getting less tolerant; its just that the bigots are getting more comfortable in flaunting their bigotry.

#13 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2018-01-30 05:06 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Rcade,

Time and time again I have pointed out that acceptance of homosexuality among a great many different cultures, at different times in history, that never knew of or influenced each other, has been minimal or non-existent.

Even cultures that are known to supposedly be more tolerate still ostracized grown homosexuals especially if they were receptive.

Yet somehow Trump is at fault for something that seems to be a natural response among human beings.

Now...don't get me wrong.

America is the one place in history where gays should and rightfully deserve to live in peace.

But to tell yourself somehow it's Trump's fault for something that has existed for centuries around the world is ludicrous.

#14 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-01-30 07:13 PM | Reply

Though I will agree, since Trump has been in office, people are more emboldened to be honest about what they really feel and think.

But which came first?

It was this desire to speak up for your beliefs among conservatives that put him in office in the first place.

#15 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-01-30 07:22 PM | Reply

the tipping point for me where I realized I can no longer vote Democrat.
The White House lite up rainbow lights after the Supreme Court decision.

I'm gonna call bull on you "tipping point".

If lights being projected, momentarily, on the White House is your excuse for being a Trumpublican, you were never really a liberal in the first place.

#16 | Posted by ClownShack at 2018-01-30 08:00 PM | Reply

#12, which came first, the chicken or egg? As the article alludes to this goes back to about 2015. Someone in another thread mentioned the metaphor of crabs in a bucket pulling each other down to try to climb up each other's backs. It seems many in the LGBT movement (as well as supposedly "woke" allies) would actually prefer it to stay associated with counterculture fringe identity politics instead of being accepted as mainstream.

#17 | Posted by sentinel at 2018-01-31 08:39 AM | Reply

It was interesting to find out that Jazz Jennings is not able to get confirmation surgery, due to the effects hormone blocking.

#18 | Posted by sentinel at 2018-01-31 08:42 AM | Reply

"Before putting all the blame on Trump, I want to share what was possibly the tipping point for me where I realized I can no longer vote Democrat.
The White House lite up rainbow lights after the Supreme Court decision.
Imply what you want but it was in poor taste."

That was not in bad taste at all, it celebrated equality for millions. That your bigotry was rejeccted doesn't make equality one iota less welcome to the entire nation, even many who like Rob Portman change their tunes when the issues actually affect the lives of their loved ones.

#19 | Posted by danni at 2018-01-31 08:56 AM | Reply

Regardless of taste (I'm sure even people who agreed with the decision cringed at the light display), is it really a wise move politically to use government buildings in a way that can be seen as gloating about a 5-4 Supreme Court decision?

#20 | Posted by sentinel at 2018-01-31 09:27 AM | Reply

Love and let love.

This GOP bs is hateful and I won't accept it.

Leave people be.

#21 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-01-31 09:54 AM | Reply

Danni,

The lights would have been fine any where else but the White House.

Obama was everyone's President, not just yours.

#22 | Posted by Billjohnson at 2018-01-31 10:12 AM | Reply

Danni,

You left off my last sentence which pretty well describes how I saw it.

It was crass.